Ruby Granger #44 To be or not to be pretentious, that is the subjective question.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm late and just watching her bake the almond cake(s), but how does someone who has a recipe book not know that you can't just omit 100g of sugar without even thinking about how that will affect the baking, the structure and, finally, the taste? What's more, she contemplated substituting the missing sugar with maple syrup, which is a completely different consistency?! It's fine to cut down on sugar to some degree if it's just a simple sponge, but you can't just throw in a sticky maple syrup instead of sugar. There are reasons why baking requires precise measures and instructions, and she seems completely ignorant.
You're speaking about a person who pretends to be productive yet spend all her time doing lists, pretends to like studying but always seems on the verge of tears when she's filmed doing it, pretends that Oxford was her long life dream despite looking miserable since she's overthere, pretends to be vegan while still consuming animal based products, can't keep a room clean, can't even change her bedsheets regularly & few other things. What did you expect?
At this point it'd be very weird if she even think about something like that and made proper researches about it.
---
People who are underweight or are not eating enough feel cold all the time (see athletes on a cut to make a weight category). Not saying anything, mind.
Sad for her.

Reactions: 5
I think the weirdest thing about that video was when it suddenly cut from fun and frolics in London in the afternoon sun to Daddy Bonio picking up glass in the road in the dark like some low budget found footage horror film.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I think the weirdest thing about that video was when it suddenly cut from fun and frolics in London in the afternoon sun to Daddy Bonio picking up glass in the road in the dark like some low budget found footage horror film.
Very dangerous to touch bits of dirty glass with your bare hands :confused:

Reactions: 5
It really does seem like Oxford is very temporary. Maybe it wasn’t necessarily supposed to be at the start of her MA but it seems like she’s solidly over the whole thing. The way she said she “moved back” for the Xmas break and brought all her things with her and now she’s already planning on coming home for Easter. It doesn’t appear she’s thinking about staying on and seeing if there might be employment opportunities in academia or whatnot in Oxford. I think Ruby is just living out her boarding school fantasy.

Speaking of living her dream: I remember her visiting the Emily Dickenson museum and realizing that ED’s bedroom was next door to her mother’s and Ruby just lit up. Validation! That is probably how Ruby would acksually want to live too, I reckon. Be a revered author, live with mum.

• Sick
Reactions: 29
pretends that Oxford was her long life dream despite looking miserable since she's overthere,
I would argue that Oxford being her lifelong dream and her being miserable there aren't mutaully exclusive, especially if she's on a course that she doens't enjoy/if different to how she thought it was going to be. I imagine postgrad at Oxford is tough, and I can't fault her for not enjoying it as much as she thought she would.

That being said, applying for a masters in what you're not fully interested in is baffling to me. I was looking at masters courses today and they seem so intense (and expensive), I can't imagine going in without a genuine passion for it.

I think Ruby would come across as far more genuine if she was honest about how she was finding Oxford. I know people sometimes tit on Eve Bennett, but the way she talked about her uni experience was very well done in my opinion. Oxford is difficult and it can be isolating, even when you're surrounded by people and things to do. I'm not saying Ruby needs to deep dive on her feelings, but highlighting the good and bad parts would probably be better content, and better for her mentally. If she is struggling, which borderline every undergrad in Oxford is, so very likely she is too, it would feel far better to talk about it that to keep up a persona online knowing that it doesn't reflect how she really feels.

I imagine that beneath it all, Ruby is a very sweet, intelligent, ambitious young woman who would genuinly benefit from sitting down and working out what her aims are in life and how she plans on making them happen. Oxford has the potential to do wonders for her outlook on life, her confidence in herself and generally how she matures into adulthood, and I really hope it does.

Reactions: 19
It’s a shame to see the state of the aga. Over here those things go for $15k+. Knowing Ruby’s family though, it probably came with the house… but still! That oven is such a pricy item to have that dirty.

Reactions: 11
I would argue that Oxford being her lifelong dream and her being miserable there aren't mutaully exclusive, especially if she's on a course that she doens't enjoy/if different to how she thought it was going to be. I imagine postgrad at Oxford is tough, and I can't fault her for not enjoying it as much as she thought she would.

That being said, applying for a masters in what you're not fully interested in is baffling to me. I was looking at masters courses today and they seem so intense (and expensive), I can't imagine going in without a genuine passion for it.

I think Ruby would come across as far more genuine if she was honest about how she was finding Oxford. I know people sometimes tit on Eve Bennett, but the way she talked about her uni experience was very well done in my opinion. Oxford is difficult and it can be isolating, even when you're surrounded by people and things to do. I'm not saying Ruby needs to deep dive on her feelings, but highlighting the good and bad parts would probably be better content, and better for her mentally. If she is struggling, which borderline every undergrad in Oxford is, so very likely she is too, it would feel far better to talk about it that to keep up a persona online knowing that it doesn't reflect how she really feels.

I imagine that beneath it all, Ruby is a very sweet, intelligent, ambitious young woman who would genuinly benefit from sitting down and working out what her aims are in life and how she plans on making them happen. Oxford has the potential to do wonders for her outlook on life, her confidence in herself and generally how she matures into adulthood, and I really hope it does.
Yeah, I could add "yet applies for a master she isn't interested in just for the sake to be at Oxford because her actual level doesn't allow her to do more".
She has a whole year to sit down and think about everything, something very few of us can afford, and she blew it off. She's a fake sweet and intelligent girl sadly, only a mix of all her favourite child litterature heroes. And I doubt she matures one day if she keep hiding behing mommy and her moldy manor, if they keep coddling her it'll never happen. She needs to face the reality and realise that she is somehow privileged, she can do something with her fanbase, her online presence and a lot of work, and accepting that she is an adult now, not a little girl waiting for back to school to be praised by her teachers.

Reactions: 8
I'm just here to say that the coffee machine was surprisingly clear (mostly). Someone must have felt sorry for that poor machine... Not the floor though. Or the stove.

all our favourite book poses in the thumbnail

IMG_2671.jpeg

oh god she’s got a new sponsor, we’ve unlocked a new Roobee threat - unfounded health claims and a dubious, vastly overpriced product.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
What a disaster of a video.

2 minutes in and she's already spent most of it squinting her way around lies about reading books while workshopping her latest "VARRY GROWN OPP AMMA WATSYON" fake accent variant.

Then she starts talking about her "GOT" and launches into a sales pitch for some dodgy snake oil vitamin pills which she claims cured her "GOT PROBLEMS". She's JANUINELY been taking them AVVERY DAY. This is a video about the books she pretends to read, so she has to really stretch to shoehorn the sponsor in with tenuous "SOMMTHING SOMMTHING RYOOTEEN SOMMTHING" nonsense, all to greedily snatch some sponsor cash.

She also likes to know what she's putting into her body, she claims, so ALWHEYS REESAARCHES the ingredients to make sure they're VARRY VEEGANNNN.

Untitle56789079876876897897908797646#6766657757768ry6980899798977945656686877987978878998d - C...png

Sure, Jan.

She's the last person to be taking endorsements or advise from on anything related to diet or mental health, and her sponsor and ad relationships are universally dishonest. So her choosing to cram ads for dodgy companies like this and BetterHelp lately is just wildly irresponsible tit even for someone as morally bankrupt as Ruby.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
View attachment 2685522

I don’t know what's funnier:

The gormless expression
Her insistence on always looking at her phone screen when taking a mirror selfie.
Her wearing leather shoes while another pair of leather shoes appears to be peeking out of her tote bag (SYO VEEGAN).
Her desperately clutching the old, defunct PONKERPODTIFTEE PLANNAH she never uses rather than advertise the new one she launched and then forgot all about.
Her using the Daunt Books tote bag instead of the PONKINPODDTUFTEEE one she launched and then forgot all about.
The boarding school luggage.
Ask and you shall receive I guess? What a coincidence...
1000002852.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Ruby just repeats empty words with no real meaning underneath them. "The books as a printed object, [...] book object" but what does it mean? She is fascinated by this subject, but she can only say that "she loves books as physical objects"

A person that I can recomend that really loves books is Patrick(check him out on tiktok @patricks_rarebooks) He talks about how books were made, eg. how to distingush a book made in XVII century from a book made later on just by their features. You can tell that he has extensive knowledge about literature and books themselves. I wonder if this is what Ruby might (have?) become if she did not care about making lists, shallow aesthetics and prancing around.

Reactions: 23
A person that I can recomend that really loves books is Patrick(check him out on tiktok @patricks_rarebooks) He talks about how books were made, eg. how to distingush a book made in XVII century from a book made later on just by their features. You can tell that he has extensive knowledge about literature and books themselves. I wonder if this is what Ruby might (have?) become if she did not care about making lists, shallow aesthetics and prancing around.
Sounds like my kind of content. Do you know if he is on YouTube? I don't have TikTok.

Reactions: 1
I think she should just clarify her veganism by changing her label from vegan to vegetarian/leaning vegan. Being completely vegan in terms of clothing, food, ingredients of cosmetics, etc isn’t the world saving solution that it’s made out to be anyways 😅

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.