Ruby Granger #44 To be or not to be pretentious, that is the subjective question.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is it? I would assume getting it started now, ahead of the return in early April is a good idea, no?

Never had to fill out a tax form though, so do correct me if I'm wrong.
Tax year end is April, but tax returns are due end of January, so Ruby is either 11 months early; a month late -in which case she will face financial penalties; or, far more likely in the case of the more than productive Roobster, that To Do list was created about three months ago and a couple of random things just get thrown in every so often.

Reactions: 30
lol it’s probably not an existing term and I may not have phrased it right, but essentially what I mean is the image of ”someone who reads in a certain way” that people project on social media - people want to not only read, but read books that others they aspire to be like are reading, and talk about books in a certain way, and do book hauls, and show off bookcases, etc. It’s partly a type of consumerism but it also goes deeper than that, it’s finding an aesthetic that you want to embody, and a way of reading that connects you with a group of other readers you aspire to be like.
I would love to hear more about this - the general 'performative intimacy' of social media is a fascinating new area of study. Are there any existing texts that have inspired you, or is it literally just watching these wild performative YouTubers that led you to be interested in it?

Reactions: 9
I would love to hear more about this - the general 'performative intimacy' of social media is a fascinating new area of study. Are there any existing texts that have inspired you, or is it literally just watching these wild performative YouTubers that led you to be interested in it?
(sorry this is getting ot, I will blur so scroll on by) Some of the courses I’ve been taking led to my thinking about this - I may or may not have inspired the head of the department to get on tt 😂 I haven’t done any actual reading so far and I’d need to do a lot of catching up on reception theory in general and recent developments - this is just one of the ideas that I’m tossing around in my head as it’s early days yet. The emphasis in this area seems to be very much on actual reader studies and methodology, which makes it a little different than your run-of-the-mill literature-based diss. But yeah, right now it’s literally just a bunch of bookmarks of things I’ve come across in my recommended and fyp 😅 There’s also the consideration of attitude - it wouldn’t be ethical to approach it from a condescending angle, so it has to go miles beyond ”look at these posers lol” and actually contribute something meaningful. The concept of ”performative intimacy” is definitely relevant here, thank you for mentioning that!

Reactions: 8
lol it’s probably not an existing term and I may not have phrased it right, but essentially what I mean is the image of ”someone who reads in a certain way” that people project on social media - people want to not only read, but read books that others they aspire to be like are reading, and talk about books in a certain way, and do book hauls, and show off bookcases, etc. It’s partly a type of consumerism but it also goes deeper than that, it’s finding an aesthetic that you want to embody, and a way of reading that connects you with a group of other readers you aspire to be like.
This is a really interesting concept to explore! I think this was a big thing in the Victorian era too; people would know how wealthy you were by the type of book-binding you had, there were 'reading parties', everyone discussed the latest serial or story a famous writer had put out...

Reactions: 5
(sorry this is getting ot, I will blur so scroll on by) Some of the courses I’ve been taking led to my thinking about this - I may or may not have inspired the head of the department to get on tt 😂 I haven’t done any actual reading so far and I’d need to do a lot of catching up on reception theory in general and recent developments - this is just one of the ideas that I’m tossing around in my head as it’s early days yet. The emphasis in this area seems to be very much on actual reader studies and methodology, which makes it a little different than your run-of-the-mill literature-based diss. But yeah, right now it’s literally just a bunch of bookmarks of things I’ve come across in my recommended and fyp 😅 There’s also the consideration of attitude - it wouldn’t be ethical to approach it from a condescending angle, so it has to go miles beyond ”look at these posers lol” and actually contribute something meaningful. The concept of ”performative intimacy” is definitely relevant here, thank you for mentioning that!
You're welcome, it's a term I made up myself after watching a lot of fundamentalist influencers (e.g. Duggar/Bates families) be really public about their non-physical 'courtship' and engagement processes. It's so weird how it's all for camera. Especially now, being someone in a LTR, I literally almost never post about my partner because I don't feel any need to pursue likes or external validation. We love each other, and that's enough.

Reactions: 7
Regarding her busy bee list, it's a very weird time of the year to be doing her tax.
Take her to-do list tasks with a huge grain of salt, especially the ones she put in for an Insta post advertising a physical planner that she never actually uses - she slaps an awful lot of vague stuff on to-do lists to look busier than she is and will inflate minor tasks into major ones.

She has an accountant who does her taxes for her, so her "tax return submit" task will amount to emailing over a simple spreadsheet of expenses and some receipts to one of daddy's accountant friends every month. She won't be filling out a tax return herself at any point.

Reactions: 19
We have a day in the varied and exciting life of an AXEFUD Masters student over on tt, set to audio from The Secret History: ”She was still a girl, a slight, lovely girl…” I need to physically hold down my eyeballs so they don’t roll right out of my head 🙄🙄🙄 edit: the more I look at it, the more I’m reminded of how someone compared her default fake smile to Wallace & Gromit, and that somehow makes the cringy audio so much funnier

also I came across a recent video of hers on yt this morning and she was talking about Joseph Swetnam’s pamphlet The Arraignment of Women, only she keps saying ”sweet man” and ”arrangement” 😂

View attachment 2754131View attachment 2754132View attachment 2754133View attachment 2754134
She looks like the bleeping exorcist :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
The Oxford union video has gone and been trashed with her minions mindless praise
The thing is even the constructive criticism has been covered with the usual "maybe you're just jealous" crap. So she doesn't even need to acknowledge that she didn't do a good job. I watched Ekin Su do hers and SHE was more put together.

Reactions: 14
A good article I read on this recently for my own masters is
The Goodness of Gilmore: Examining the of Reading in the Rory Gilmore-inspired Readathons of BookTube By Olivia O’Neill

Reactions: 12
3FE6D249-5EB5-4B64-87FB-957111CE3B38.jpeg

this coat is not giving like she thinks it is… i’m getting stinky train conductor rather than twee academic girlie

• Haha
Reactions: 24
She said she was going to pobblish some onpolisht thoughts on Mary Sidney Harrbart on her website, the text must be in pretty rough shape if it’s bad enough that she’s censoring herself 🤔 Out with it, Roobs, I’m bored and deep down you know you want to dazzle us all with your Oxford intellectualism.

Reactions: 1
Google suggests that sleaze academia ‘subverts academic uniforms. Think checkered mini skirts, bold ties, crisp shirts and awkward layering’. Ruby’s got a head start there then.
Because I'm old, I wondered if it was some version of the "uniform" Britney Spears wore in her 'Hit me baby one more time' video.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Actually this coat isn't the worst thing she has, it could be nice if well styled

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.