Ruby Granger #44 To be or not to be pretentious, that is the subjective question.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why in the name of all that holy is she advertising GCSE workbooks?! And admitting to the world that when she was an actual GCSE student there was nothing better in the world than coming home to a new workbook? How little was going on in her life that she had to take her joy from that? And this is still a highlight in her life 7/8 years later?

Reactions: 16
I was watching the latest Mina Le video about booktok and she mentioned an interesting concept - reading scene (a curated photo of a book within a physical space) which Ruby does constantly. Not to say that this is a bad practice per se, but when you're a MA student you might think Ruby would have something more to say rather than just show off her pretty books with occasional quote or AI generated paragraph. Ruby cares so much about the 'reading scene' to seem intelectual and productive that she misses the substance of what she is actualy doing in Oxford - studying early modern literature and how books come to be.

Mina was also talking about books as 'book-objects', something that Ruby was crazy about, but Mina actually managed to have an original thought and describe the notion as it relates to the modern readers. Ruby just gushes over this concept with no substance or analysis.
I’m hatching potential Masters thesis topics in my head atm and the idea of a projected readership, as portrayed through social media, is one I’m considering. It’s so fascinating. There’s a whole chapter’s worth of stuff to be said about everybody filming themselves crying over A Little Life, for instance.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
I noticed that she leaves the bathroom light on so very often, and I can't even imagine how careless and rich and stupid one needs to be to get there lol forgetting here and there is, yes, normal, and happens to all of us (look at me, channeling my inner Rumbster and talking on everyone's behalf). But this on top of her leaving the fridge open for ages? I think it's safe to say that she just don't care.

View attachment 2758775
View attachment 2758778
View attachment 2758780
One of the biggest issues I have with Ruby is the way she treats her surroundings and belongings. She's so thoughtless and disrespectful. I still can't forget that trip with Jade (admittedly it was years ago) where they left the gas on (!!) in the cottage and the owner complained that they'd also left trails of mud through the room. She left the fridge open in the shared house with Blakeney and then put those horrible paper decorations up all around the cooker. It was an absolute fire hazard. That's without mentioning all the times she's dumped presents on the floor or thrown her possessions around. I really think that Ruby takes everything for granted and hasn't had to consider other people very often.
---
and the idea of a projected readership
Dumb question: what do you mean by projected readership? Sounds interesting.

• Wow
Reactions: 26
Dumb question: what do you mean by projected readership? Sounds interesting.
lol it’s probably not an existing term and I may not have phrased it right, but essentially what I mean is the image of ”someone who reads in a certain way” that people project on social media - people want to not only read, but read books that others they aspire to be like are reading, and talk about books in a certain way, and do book hauls, and show off bookcases, etc. It’s partly a type of consumerism but it also goes deeper than that, it’s finding an aesthetic that you want to embody, and a way of reading that connects you with a group of other readers you aspire to be like.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I’m hatching potential Masters thesis topics in my head atm and the idea of a projected readership, as portrayed through social media, is one I’m considering. It’s so fascinating. There’s a whole chapter’s worth of stuff to be said about everybody filming themselves crying over A Little Life, for instance.
I would actually be really interested in reading that! Especially as I find the peformative nature of reading and booktok itself to be really interesting, especially with what books are read, how many are read, and how people are reacting to it. There is also the intellectualism and classicst discouse which is around reading, epescially on an online context.
I think that there must be some historical comparisons to reading a book such as the Wether effect to people filming themselves crying over A Little Life.

If you do this, please update !

• Heart
Reactions: 18
lol it’s probably not an existing term and I may not have phrased it right, but essentially what I mean is the image of ”someone who reads in a certain way” that people project on social media - people want to not only read, but read books that others they aspire to be like are reading, and talk about books in a certain way, and do book hauls, and show off bookcases, etc. It’s partly a type of consumerism but it also goes deeper than that, it’s finding an aesthetic that you want to embody, and a way of reading that connects you with a group of other readers you aspire to be like.
Ah right I get it now. Thanks for explaining. Like building a curated persona and using books as a means of doing that? Similar to music subcultures where people who listen to, e.g. punk, have a certain aesthetic.

Reactions: 7
I just read the mother's blog post about the dog poop and it reminded me of a question I've had for a while and maybe someone here knows the answer to it. I'm pretty sure that in the past the family had two identical-looking dogs (Lola and Margot??), however for years now I've only seen the one dog (Lola) and Margot was never spoken off again. Did she pass away or was she a figment of my imagination?

Reactions: 1
I just read the mother's blog post about the dog poop and it reminded me of a question I've had for a while and maybe someone here knows the answer to it. I'm pretty sure that in the past the family had two identical-looking dogs (Lola and Margot??), however for years now I've only seen the one dog (Lola) and Margot was never spoken off again. Did she pass away or was she a figment of my imagination?
Sorry I don't know the answer re the dogs. But I do think posh people choose names like Margot so that they can sound uber posh when they say the name. If the dog was called Sam it wouldn't be the same. Also I think Ruby only drinks tea so that she can say teeeeeeeee in a posh voice. Not ever so interesting I know but I'm glad I've got it off my chest.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Have just caught up with the “Jade and Ruby in Oxford” vlog, Ruby’s version. Her description of purpose is certainly interesting: “it’s enjoying those pastries, the rainfall, the feel of February wind on your cheeks”. Really? That’s your life’s purpose? So why go through the trouble of an Oxford degree if your purpose is eating pastries in the rain? This girl is so deep.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Have just caught up with the “Jade and Ruby in Oxford” vlog, Ruby’s version. Her description of purpose is certainly interesting: “it’s enjoying those pastries, the rainfall, the feel of February wind on your cheeks”. Really? That’s your life’s purpose? So why go through the trouble of an Oxford degree if your purpose is eating pastries in the rain? This girl is so deep.
Eating pastries in the rain is nice, eating pastries in the Oxford rain is l-a-v-i-s-h.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I remember one of them passing away a few years ago, Ruby announced it in a video (back in the day when I used to watch Ruby!) but she was never spoken of again.

Reactions: 9
If you do, please cover Robin Ince, one of the worst performative book " readers" and hoarders I've seen. He even has a video explaining how he " reads " so many books (skims the intro, flicks through the rest)
---
Why in the name of all that holy is she advertising GCSE workbooks?! And admitting to the world that when she was an actual GCSE student there was nothing better in the world than coming home to a new workbook? How little was going on in her life that she had to take her joy from that? And this is still a highlight in her life 7/8 years later?
I think this says more about her audience (ie the target for the marketing, basically GCSE age girls) than her. And she'll say anything for the sake of an #ad

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
"Oiy JANUINELY yeeze moiy nyeuu plannah AVVERY SINGOL DAYYY and HONASTLEEEE didn't josst forgat that oiy'd released it and than copied a bonch of random things from moiy Nyotion or josst compleeeeteleyyy make opp a bonch of stoff to fill out TYOO WHOLE PAGESSSS to make it lock loyke oiyyy AWHLWHEYS YEEZE MOIY PLANNAH, OIY CAN VARRY MOCH PROMASS YEUU THAT ONE HONDRAD PRUSSANT! (Squints.)"

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Hello, long time no see. You've probably already written about it, but I just see her Osford speech on influencers and I don't know what shocks me more, that her speech is so far from the academic level she currently has or should have or that she argues that we all have a rational choice according to Mill. What the hell was that just about?! Im sorry

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Margot passed away in 2021. Don't feel bad about not noticing though because there was a complete lack of grief and emotion from Ruby about the death of a dog she proclaimed to love and had 'farever'. It was announced as a throw away comment in between her making tea and a studying timelapse, then Margot was promptly forgotten about, never to be mentioned again.

Regarding her busy bee list, it's a very weird time of the year to be doing her tax.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
Margot passed away in 2021. Don't feel bad about not noticing though because there was a complete lack of grief and emotion from Ruby about the death of a dog she proclaimed to love and had 'farever'. It was announced as a throw away comment in between her making tea and a studying timelapse, then Margot was promptly forgotten about, never to be mentioned again.

Regarding her busy bee list, it's a very weird time of the year to be doing her tax.
Is it? I would assume getting it started now, ahead of the return in early April is a good idea, no?

Never had to fill out a tax form though, so do correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: 1

Yes I remembered wondering how someone could not seem at least sad when their dog dies. Especially when you see her crying for her results...

Reactions: 4
Hello, long time no see. You've probably already written about it, but I just see her Osford speech on influencers and I don't know what shocks me more, that her speech is so far from the academic level she currently has or should have or that she argues that we all have a rational choice according to Mill. What the hell was that just about?! Im sorry
I completely forgot she took part in a debate about influencers xD I had to go and watch the video. She sounds like a little kid trying to sound intelligent to impress the adults in the room. It’s not a good look.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.