Ruby Granger #44 To be or not to be pretentious, that is the subjective question.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
One big problem that studytubers face is that they spend too much time doing youtuber and make too much cash that they do not see the urgence to get a real career life started. Come on, studytuber can not be a real career for a lifetime long. I can not imagine ruby and holly doing studytuber and dark academia and vlog things in her 30s. This ends up with a Fake life on the internet.
I agree, would have been better after seeing them progress doing things like networking, interviews, some more generic work type content (a lighter touch as this could be dull if overdone) and then how they continue life long learning alongside it, and which hobbies they continue to pursue and how to fit it in around a workday. I have a very boring normal job but still make time to do courses (for non-work related interests) and hobbies so would be more interested in that over more 'what's in my school bag' videos from a ~25 yr old.

Reactions: 13
This is hilarious and I actually almost commented a few pages back about her writing that it reminds me of that scene where Chandler makes up a short story to hide the fact that they were making that list about Rachel.

" It was summer ... and it was hot. Rachel was there. A lonely gray couch. "Oh look!" cried Ned, and then the kingdom was his forever. The end. "
It also reminds me of (niche early 2000s memory) that game where you wrote boys name/girls name/where they met/he said/she said etc and folded the paper over, then passed round the table between each one. Same energy.
Signed
My full sized aortic pump

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm so confused - the café Roobee went and had a croissant at in her vlog doesn't offer vegan croissants? How? Unpossible!
"And as oiy say, these croy-sannts are VARRY MOCH VEEGAN. AWWHL of theeee dairy yeezed tyooo make the cross-qwonts was swourced from THEEE KOINDEST, MWOST SOSSTAINABLE CREECHAHS.

Wee tahnd tyeuuu JOSST think of "vegan" fyeeds as being made without vannison, BOHT what science tahls oss it that sometimes the most compassionate creechas of awl are theeee ones that willingly offer opp thahhr aggs, syo that weee moight anjoy an ACKSQUITE bacon and agg criss-fwont with gyeese fat drizzled on it from abovv, like theee swollen clouds of ayyy astronomickal skoiy, crying fworth delicious pluviophilian tears upon the savoury flakings of FRANCH FWANCY.

Thankyeeu tyooo Vlad's Abattoir fwore VARRY KOINDLY sponsoring this videeeyoowww."

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Personally I think StudyTube will rapidly go down the drains and completely fizzle out. We see the same happen to other YouTube categories. Take the so-called Beauty Gurus. The original crew has long since stopped making them. They got on with their various careers, married, have families now. But there are a few that can't quite let go and it is pretty cringe watching someone like Tiffany D, well into her thirties if not nearing 40, or Tarababyz, constantly hauling things because their lives are so empty and they need to feel that immediate satisfaction of buying something new, that passes within the day. While decluttering your makeup collection was a thing before Covid, not being able to go out in public or have to wear a mask really kicked that movement into full gear and almost everyone got a reality check. Now they have either left YT or found another odd obsession to vlog about. The Kawaii movement started to get big a long while back, but walking around in little girl clothes when you are in your late 20's was also cringe, so unless you live in Asia and do it as an actual career, it is shortlived. I don't think the US ever really got into studytube. It seems to be mostly a UK phenomenon that we watch from the sidelines, but overall have no interest in mimicking. Who knows what the next "aesthetic" or "trend" will be, but I am sure Ruby will try to hop on it, fail and like many other YTbers, will find herself lost in the real adult world with very little to show for it.

Reactions: 14
Personally I think StudyTube will rapidly go down the drains and completely fizzle out. We see the same happen to other YouTube categories. Take the so-called Beauty Gurus. The original crew has long since stopped making them. They got on with their various careers, married, have families now. But there are a few that can't quite let go and it is pretty cringe watching someone like Tiffany D, well into her thirties if not nearing 40, or Tarababyz, constantly hauling things because their lives are so empty and they need to feel that immediate satisfaction of buying something new, that passes within the day. While decluttering your makeup collection was a thing before Covid, not being able to go out in public or have to wear a mask really kicked that movement into full gear and almost everyone got a reality check. Now they have either left YT or found another odd obsession to vlog about. The Kawaii movement started to get big a long while back, but walking around in little girl clothes when you are in your late 20's was also cringe, so unless you live in Asia and do it as an actual career, it is shortlived. I don't think the US ever really got into studytube. It seems to be mostly a UK phenomenon that we watch from the sidelines, but overall have no interest in mimicking. Who knows what the next "aesthetic" or "trend" will be, but I am sure Ruby will try to hop on it, fail and like many other YTbers, will find herself lost in the real adult world with very little to show for it.
There are a few big American studytubers that I can think of, the most prominent was definitely studyquill who I think has left youtube for good now

Reactions: 6
There are a few big American studytubers that I can think of, the most prominent was definitely studyquill who I think has left youtube for good now
I mean, there's only so many years this studytube business can fly. After a certain point, if not quite early on, one becomes a caricature of a vague academia idea. For the time being, our dearest Rubes is the Thomas Brodie-Sangster of uni vlogs.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I was just delivered the best and, frankly, the only study advice I’ll ever need on tt. Ready? Prepare for your mind to be blown.

If you start working on your essay a week before it’s due, it’ll take you a week to complete. If you start the day before, it’ll only take you a day.

Studytube, you’re officially obsolete.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
I was just delivered the best and, frankly, the only study advice I’ll ever need on tt. Ready? Prepare for your mind to be blown.

If you start working on your essay a week before it’s due, it’ll take you a week to complete. If you start the day before, it’ll only take you a day.

Studytube, you’re officially obsolete.
and if you start on the day the essay is due, you even need less time!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Ruby‘s been gifted a copy of Napoleon and has wasted no time in announcing that the French Revolution is one of her favourite historical periods. Which of course, we all knew because she‘s talked about it so much over the years.
I have a lot of catching up to do, but I was scrolling and saw that she has been gifted Napoleon…I cannot for a minute imagine her watching it; in the first five minutes alone a horse is fully blown to bits (CGI one obviously 😂) and there is a lot of blood and guts…and the sex scenes are…well, not what I could ever imagine Ruby watching…she will literally advertise anything at this point, how disingenuous of her! See Roobs, we can use big words too, we can even put them in the correct context…

• Haha
Reactions: 18
I think ''mum was a...'' is the whole sentence. Mum was A. Her mother being the first letter of the alphabet makes no sense to normal people, but in the nonsensical context of Ruby's story it fits perfectly.
I'm gonna pretend it was a Pretty Little Liars reference and that she's writing fan fiction lol

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I'm gonna pretend it was a Pretty Little Liars reference and that she's writing fan fiction lol
Omg Spencer's creepy British twin's kid POV
Yes
It totally reads like a fanfic I would have written when I was 15, throwing in random metaphors and fancy words to sound smart.
Like a humid prepossessing homosapian

• Haha
Reactions: 3
@drew54 as someone else pointed out, it was Terms and Conditions. Referenced in that book is The Best Kind of Girl by Gillian Avery which has a scorcher of a bibliography. Just so many contemporaneous essay collections on girls education and other histories.

Terms and Conditions was my comfort book for a few years, because I could just pick it up and read it from whatever page. It really got me into "Old Girl" memoirs, of which there are many. Girls education is far more interesting than boys education haha.
The chapter about pashes is about girls similar to Ruby, isn't it?

Reactions: 1
She seems to be taking a long time reading Crime and Punishment. It really isn't that thick, not like War & Peace or Anna Karenina, even. Just an average to below average size novel. Surely she is struggling with the theme and obviously is not loving it or she would have devoured it by now. It just goes to show what happens when you only read children's literature and never challenge yourself. She still seems to be more interested in creating some kind of Oxford aesthetic rather than the actual academics. What a waste of space that could have been given to someone who would have taken their degree seriously and put it towards a career.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
She seems to be taking a long time reading Crime and Punishment. It really isn't that thick, not like War & Peace or Anna Karenina, even. Just an average to below average size novel. Surely she is struggling with the theme and obviously is not loving it or she would have devoured it by now. It just goes to show what happens when you only read children's literature and never challenge yourself. She still seems to be more interested in creating some kind of Oxford aesthetic rather than the actual academics. What a waste of space that could have been given to someone who would have taken their degree seriously and put it towards a career.
How very dare you, she’s just taking it slyowly because she HONNASTLY JANNUINELY enjoys it! Just like The Faerie Queene, which she still hasn’t finished (and never will).

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Not ruby influencing me but should I read crime and punishment? It’s been on my tbr for a while

Reactions: 11
How dare you QUASTION her taking notes of taking notes in a separate notebook from another common places notebook? This is an art, art shan't be rushed.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Honestly I´m glad she for once seems to be honest about her reading speed, not like with the Brothers Karamazov (I still shudder remembering the whole pronouncition debacle lmao) 😄 It took me quite a while to finish reading Crime and Punishment, even though it´s by far one of my favourite books of all time and I read a lot of classic literature in general. How fast you read something can indicate how much you like it, but not necessarily in every case. Also calling Crime and Punishment an below average size novel sounds a bit arrogant to me tbh 😂 In my german translation it has roughly 750 pages of rather small print (The Brothers Karamazov has around 1.050 pages) and to be fair reading it is vastly different to let´s say a YA novel with the same or a higher page number.
---
Not ruby influencing me but should I read crime and punishment? It’s been on my tbr for a while
Read it! I loved it, it´s a great book :D

Reactions: 10
Honestly it's sad hearing her say that she has digestion issues, because of course she does with how restrictive her diet. I wish she would get the help she needs for her ED.
Gotta a knowledge a problem to yourself before you can seek treatment for it.
---
Why is there a newspaper article about the Titanic sinking on her 'aesthetic' room collage...?
View attachment 2696511
Perhaps it is her metaphor for life?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.