Ruby Granger #44 To be or not to be pretentious, that is the subjective question.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ruby is claiming to have already read 27 books this year (on Storygraph).

EDIT: Just checked out the Ruby/Jade content and yikesā€¦ what is this caption.
Lmao sure she's read a book every 1.5 days while managing a Youtube channel and being a full time master's student.

Reactions: 21
Lmao sure she's read a book every 1.5 days while managing a Youtube channel and being a full time master's student.
She might have skimed the physical copy of these 27 books, persuading herself that it was enough as far as reading goes. Bonus point, her signature trademark, consists of including books and texts read for uni that'll plump up the final amount. She's so so smart, Oxford smart.

Reactions: 6
New video is online, including Jade! Gonna get a cup of tea and watch it now. (Because I should be revising for my oral exam next week but I can't be bothered) šŸ˜‚

• Wow
Reactions: 8

Quite the contrary but okay, maybe in that elevator. Seriously though theyā€™re both dumb just in slightly different ways.

Reactions: 3
Ruby doing a VARRY DRAMATICKOL PRUFFWORMANCE and reading an excerpt about "the miserable lady with moist eyes" while she frumps about looking depressed because she has to change her bedding for the first time since October because of Jade's visit might be my new favourite 'beyond parody' Ruby moment.

Ruby Granger #45 - The Miserable Lady with Moist Eyes.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Personally I think StudyTube will rapidly go down the drains and completely fizzle out. We see the same happen to other YouTube categories. Take the so-called Beauty Gurus. The original crew has long since stopped making them. They got on with their various careers, married, have families now. But there are a few that can't quite let go and it is pretty cringe watching someone like Tiffany D, well into her thirties if not nearing 40, or Tarababyz, constantly hauling things because their lives are so empty and they need to feel that immediate satisfaction of buying something new, that passes within the day. While decluttering your makeup collection was a thing before Covid, not being able to go out in public or have to wear a mask really kicked that movement into full gear and almost everyone got a reality check. Now they have either left YT or found another odd obsession to vlog about. The Kawaii movement started to get big a long while back, but walking around in little girl clothes when you are in your late 20's was also cringe, so unless you live in Asia and do it as an actual career, it is shortlived. I don't think the US ever really got into studytube. It seems to be mostly a UK phenomenon that we watch from the sidelines, but overall have no interest in mimicking. Who knows what the next "aesthetic" or "trend" will be, but I am sure Ruby will try to hop on it, fail and like many other YTbers, will find herself lost in the real adult world with very little to show for it.
There's a youtuber, The Lady in the Library, I think she calls herself, who talks about doing her PhD. I was initially a bit turned off because she talks in a very pretentious manner, but then she's done some brilliant videos about not being the smart kid at school and going into academia (like, her even going to university was apparently a surprise), and mistakes she's made during the process of her PhD so far. She's like the really honest version of Ruby.

I don't know that I would necessarily call her a studytuber, as I don't think she does the study with, and she doesn't do the vlog style that those of them still in the space do, but her content is much better than that. Much more realitistic.
---
The chapter about pashes is about girls similar to Ruby, isn't it?
Haha, not sure. I would have thought the women in it who really enjoyed the likes of Cheltenham would be more like Ruby.
---
The new video was very pleasant. We all know Ruby isn't a good actor or liar. You can tell when she's not enjoying herself, or when she is. It was very nice to see how happy she was around Jade.

Reactions: 3
I guess depends on the job but I am not sure most study YouTubers would be able to keep their views if they started vlogging about working .. who knows
I think it depends on how they transition and if their work is actually interesting. For example, Ali Abdaal

Reactions: 1
I believe zero percent that she has read 27 books already this year. She reads a single poem or essay and considers it an entire a book. She glances at an article and immediately labels it as a full blown book read. She flips through a book and reads the back and ticks it off as reading another novel. Look how long it is taking her to read Crime and Punishment? Been at least a month now. Children's books are so easy to devour in an hour or two. But as she is a full time student going for her Masters, there is no way she is reading that much.

That being said, who cares how much she has read. I mean, this entire hustle culture and booktubers getting burnt out from overreading and never absorbing what they have read is on it's last legs. One minute she says have more than just a productive day, but all she does is fill her day with meaningless clutter and never once have we heard an intelligent review on any of the books she has read. If she is just rushing through, grabbing titles and slapping them on a stack to make her numbers higher, she isn't really getting anything out of it except that empty gratification that comes with social media likes, but no real friendships that matter or have substance. Jade and Ruby are dropping numbers. They are at the point where they are realizing their study videos are passe and suddenly the 30's are starting to loom in the near distance. Are they going to do this until they are 50? No. At some point reality hits hard. This is just another collab with hopes for more viewers and support, which usually ends up cringe and bizarre. Both need to get a real life. Honestly, it is pretty sad how lost they are without their "platforms" and followers to pump their self-esteem.

Reactions: 14
Haha, not sure. I would have thought the women in it who really enjoyed the likes of Cheltenham would be more like Ruby.
Oh to read the sonnet Ruby might have written about this Jade's set of humongous teeth.
On a side note, I'm noticing an uptick in totally JANUINELY HONASTLY invitations to eat for free with a +1.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
What is this video? I mean, the first thing she says is that she is reading "The Shadow of the Sea", and shows a book titled "Island of Whispers". The woman who has read 27 books so far this year. Give her an applause for completely screwing up the title of her present read. BTW, this book is 126 pages. When you read such massive tomes as this, it would not take long to add them up to 27, now would it?

Why does she keep showing closeups of her nun-like shoes? The prancing around Oxford. I can't.

Granular research? wtf?

Why are they freaking out over a croissant. Did I miss something here? Can you not get a basic croissant in the UK?

Ruby desperately needs to pull her lanky hair back when she is eating. I can just see people pulling hair out of their food when around her.

The rest of the video was useless drivel, as usual. Her time at Oxford must almost be at the halfway mark. What's next, Rubbish? Back to twirling in the backyard and laying on the wet ground, musing over the romantic atmosphere of rotting vegetables in the mist?

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I watched the vlog, who is the idiot Patricia who gifted them afternoon vegan tea? As if they need this coming from affluent backgrounds.

So what is an assay?

Reactions: 15
I watched the vlog, who is the idiot Patricia who gifted them afternoon vegan tea? As if they need this coming from affluent backgrounds.
I'd bet a VARRY VEEGAN CROISSANT that Patricia works at the restaurant and either reached out to Ruby to offer a gifted meal or, being the leeches that they are, Ruby and Jade looked at places to have lunch that week and reached out to the restaurant to beg for a gifted meal in exchange for advertising the place (hence the suspicious mention of emailing the management the day before).

If an actual member of the public/a viewer actually gifted these grifters an Ā£80 lunch when Ruby has a few hundred grand sitting in the bank, they need help.

Reactions: 20
Why did that video literally feel like eulogy. Sad music, random quotes rehearsed in a somber voice, and she's portraying Jade like how movies portray the wife who dies at the beginning

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Granular research? wtf?
It must be her VOCAB WARRD of the week, Iā€™m a few minutes into the video and as far as I can tell (her accent is the worst itā€™s been in ages, I canā€™t stand it), sheā€™s used it twice. In Ruby-speak, ā€granularā€ just means ā€I googled something I had no idea about and wrote down random facts about it in my commonplace book for ten minutes before the schedule said it was time to move to a different cafĆ© because not enough people had seen me be studious and literary yet that morning.ā€

IMG_2714.jpeg

edit: lolol not them going to the cafĆ© Roobs went to in her last video and raving about the VEEEGAN croissant - itā€™s a raspberry croissant and the one she had earlier didnā€™t look like that one, but obviously I was mistaken enough in my judgement that a rebuttal needed to be filmed šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

edit 2: if I hear the word PARRPOSE one more time so help me god

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
so apparently one of the things Rumbster and Jade (I know her only through Rumbster and you guys) have been talking about a lot is "what it means to live a good life". Ummm, maybe don't be a pretentious and greedy bully who can't say the truth to say your life??? dunno, thought that could be a good place to start. Also, remember your sister's existence at least once in a while?
---
From her latest tiktok. This is Rumbster at a seminar. Genuinely.
Screenshot (864).png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Honestly IĀ“m glad she for once seems to be honest about her reading speed, not like with the Brothers Karamazov (I still shudder remembering the whole pronouncition debacle lmao) šŸ˜„ It took me quite a while to finish reading Crime and Punishment, even though itĀ“s by far one of my favourite books of all time and I read a lot of classic literature in general. How fast you read something can indicate how much you like it, but not necessarily in every case. Also calling Crime and Punishment an below average size novel sounds a bit arrogant to me tbh šŸ˜‚ In my german translation it has roughly 750 pages of rather small print (The Brothers Karamazov has around 1.050 pages) and to be fair reading it is vastly different to letĀ“s say a YA novel with the same or a higher page number.
---

Read it! I loved it, itĀ“s a great book :D
have u read the "schuld und sĆ¼hne" or the "verbrechen und strafe" translation. Just interested. Imho the verbrechen und strafe one is the better translation, it starts with the title which is a far more fitting translation, but kind of a move to rename such an important book....

Reactions: 1

How did Jade manage to dress up even worst than her "friend"? Is that some parody of Ruby?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
have u read the "schuld und sĆ¼hne" or the "verbrechen und strafe" translation. Just interested. Imho the verbrechen und strafe one is the better translation, it starts with the title which is a far more fitting translation, but kind of a move to rename such an important book....
OT: I read the "Schuld und SĆ¼hne" translation by Josef Hoffmann and liked it, but I have other Dostojewski books in translations by Svetlana Geier, as far as I am aware she translates the title as "Verbrechen und Strafe". ItĀ“s the same case with "Die DƤmonen"/"Bƶse Geister"/"Die Bessessenen", same book, different translation of the title. I donĀ“t speak Russian and IĀ“m not an expert in any way, but apparently the original russian canĀ“t be translated exactly into German in those cases. In the case of "Schuld und SĆ¼hne" the title is way too morally connotated, whilst the original russian title uses the legal terminology. "Verbrechen und Strafe" on the other hand, which is the german legal terminology, lacks a certain ethical weight which the russian terminology does contain. So I think thereĀ“s no right or wrong answer. I personally prefer the title "Schuld und SĆ¼hne". All in all a really fascinating topic imo

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.