Ruby Granger #41 Poor Blakeney, being replaced by ChatGPT

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Re; Ruby not going to the Pizza evening. Her excuse is rather transparently pathetic. Tired?? How exactly is she tired? She didn't come from a busy hectic job, she's not busy parenting or caring for someone, she didn't exactly travel from the outer Hebrides to get to Oxford, her mother drove her, both parents (presumably) helped her pack & unpack & she isn't ill or elderly so why exactly is she tired?
I do believe her about being tired - she is ill after all. Restrictive eating disorders make you tired all the time, even when you're not doing anything at all, so even the extra stress of packing, unpacking, moving about, going for a food shop, etc. definitely can be exhausting, even if it may seem like she didn't do anything to someone who has never had/doesn't have an ED (or other conditions that make you have no energy).

Reactions: 3
I don't think she's lost considerable amount of weight, I just think she's not 17 years old anymore. Her face has thinned out but everybody's does by their mid-20s. She's not fat, but she's by no means thin and willowy either. She looks to be a healthy weight for her height.
this. Why does everyone keep saying she looks "unwell" and things like that? I think someone said it at some point and everyone just parrots it mindlessly when they run out of other criticisms. No, she looks a perfectly fine weight, and it's even more obvious when you see her with shorter skirts and tights like in the Scotland vlog, for example. I don't know about her eating habits, she shares very selectively about them. Others have said they don't look healthy, but how can you tell?
Anyway, I have no idea what healthy eating habits are, but looking thin? Unwell? where?

those comments are super weird to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 27
those comments are super weird to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Couldn't agree more. People are very quick to judge eating habits of others, but she doesn't show everything she eats, and what she does show is varied and stuff she likes. Okay, maybe it's a bit performative but with other creators, one in particular who is very very sick right now, I don't think it's fair to criticise Ruby so much for something that isn't much of an issue? If anything, the thing that irritates me most and is the reason I'm here is her video editing is... chaotic and loud to say the least

Reactions: 12
Ehh I think she’s lost a bit of weight during Covid and we can’t really deny that. I think she gained some of it back imho but her face although thinned out is not as bad as when she was during the tail end of Exeter & during Covid. She even had a weird ED obsession phase when she was friends with Molly and I think even ended up being mentioned on a lol cow thread

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Yes, I agree. When did this ED gossip start? Body checking? Where? She is simply looking at the camera/in the mirror.

I had an ED myself when I was 18-20 and I don't see any similarities. Of course she could be bulimic (definitely not anorexic) but we might as well say this about any YouTuber?

At first I did agree with a few people because I found a couple things concerning:
1) she read several ana books
2) she drinks a LOT of liquids
3) she wants to stay childlike

But then does it mean that anyone who reads these books and drinks lots of tea has an ED? No
I think this has been blown out of proportion.

Reactions: 9
It’s definitely not a restrictive eating thing for everyone but it is used by many to cover up worrying eating habits and restrict food.

I’ve never seen someone able to be completely vegan - ever! And I’m studying med atm with a special interest in nutrition so I’ve looked into this extensively. There’s always some fruit and veggies that’s pollinated by bees, fertilised using animal produce etc etc. All throughout my youth, I worked in restaurants and never once saw a vegan fryer - a veggie one, yes, but never a vegan one even in huge kitchen so the ‘vegan’ food is always being cooked with non-vegan foods. Kitchens are also required to have dairy free and vegetarian utensils, but vegan utensils are not a legal requirement so you could have something, for example, that is vegetarian and contains eggs being prepared on the dairy free chopping board which would also be used to prepare vegan options. There’s always going to be some form of input from animals and a degree of cross contamination. I think most of the vegan societies have now recognised this and promote cutting back on using animal products where you can but acknowledge it isn’t fully possible.

Edited to add - this is in the UK so laws regarding vegan utensils and other equipment might vary in different countries.
Have u ever looked into the definition of veganism?

Reactions: 7
Just a polite request, could we maybe put any ED talk/speculation in a spoiler or something so people who are struggling/in recovery dont have to read it and get triggered x

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Like £14k plus living expenses and rent.. so maybe £25k
---
I think she will have a good time once she tries to meet people. There are alot of students just like her in Oxford postgrad, (a bit sheltered and not ready for the real world)

students doing unfunded Oxford humanities masters are often quite rich and unusual, because it is a lot of money to blow on a 9 month course
Thanks. More than I thought!

Thank you to whoever recommended Kaelyn Grace Apple, I loved her recent Oxford video. Really calming and aesthetic. She's so similar to Ruby with the tea and books and libraries, but just a bit more elevated creatively. And you do believe she's really into her work.

She did also say in her video about her MA at Oxford that she didn't do anything social in the first few nights as she had social anxiety and was worried about not being prepared for the course, but then she ended up making a really close group of friends. I think Ruby will be the same.

Reactions: 13
She's actually doing her PhD through Yale right now and living London while she writes and doing research in Oxford's archives sometimes. She's done some interesting videos talking about how she's organising/corralling all her research too. One of the few study tubers who I think actually uses Notion to improve her work output rather than as waste of time busy-work.

If you go back in her videos though you'll see her Oxford content from her Masters. (CW: She had a vile experience there - assault I believe? Anyway, she talks about it a bit. ).
Sorry for the off topic, but was wondering if you had any of her videos that show how she uses Notion? Just starting my PhD and I'm trying to work out how to actually use all these tools well, rather than just for the sake of having them

Reactions: 3
Sorry for the off topic, but was wondering if you had any of her videos that show how she uses Notion? Just starting my PhD and I'm trying to work out how to actually use all these tools well, rather than just for the sake of having them
Of course! There’s this one:

& I think in most of the vlogs and ‘dissertation diaries’ you see different tools pop up as she uses them too. This could be a helpful video too:

Best of luck with your PhD!

Does anyone know of similar yet less problematic youtubers? I like the aesthetic but not the insincerity of it
I like Randi Lynn Reed. She’s not an academic youtuber though. She lives in Oregon (I think), she’s an artist, and her videos are unbelievably cozy, aesthetic wihout feeling performative, and just extremely chill and beautiful to look at. No ceaseless Sugar Plum Fairy music either, just nice instrumental music. I put her videos on a lot in the background for my cat actually because he loves that kind of chill music and ambience (I’m not insane I swear 😃).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Rumbster finally went to Oxford, and the first video she put out after getting there is just the usual shite 🤦‍♀️ that's just... sad. It could have been so much better. She rushed it, she obviously don't care. Also this was a great opportunity for her to get new subscribers, like actual people, so that it's not just TWALVE year old kids, or creeps like that penultimate. Oxford on the title would get her lots of clicks anyway, if she had put out a decent video, people would have stayed.

Now she's posting about tea and kettle? Something that she's been doing constantly for years already? Major bore. She really has nothing new to show, or say, or do.

Reactions: 12
I do think having a kettle in your room is too much. It's hardly an effort to go into the kitchen, is it? At home she had an elaborate tea-making routine with a little tray she takes upstairs. Either she's embarrassed for people to see that or she's avoiding seeing people in the kitchen.

I'd definitely want a kettle in my room if it was allowed but I believe she said she forgot to bring her teapot, not kettle.

Reactions: 10
I like Randi Lynn Reed. She’s not an academic youtuber though. She lives in Oregon (I think), she’s an artist, and her videos are unbelievably cozy, aesthetic wihout feeling performative, and just extremely chill and beautiful to look at. No ceaseless Sugar Plum Fairy music either, just nice instrumental music. I put her videos on a lot in the background for my cat actually because he loves that kind of chill music and ambience (I’m not insane I swear 😃).
Thank you, I will show it to my cat!

• Haha
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.