Ruby Granger #37 You can still get one while you can

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
oh goody, another masterpiece about weather, it’s like she’s preparing for the Mediocrity Olympics

View attachment 2061915
Flowery nonsense crap.

Example:
The drifting mists..... drift. Yeah, we got that part the first time around. Why are you repeating yourself? No words? No idea what you are doing?
If the mist "skim away", wtf is "lingering there"? It can't. It already left. You said it skimmed away. Gone. Over. Finis.

She is still writing her ridiculous immature poetry. Nothing like this will ever get published. It is pure crap and nothing more. Did she ever take a creative writing class? Has she ever had anyone objectively critique her work? All she has here is a train of adjectives with absolutely no point. Poetry means something. It isn't about writing a bunch of words in a string leading one down into oblivion.

Reactions: 13
A862D74C-F15A-472E-9465-26EBE1EB433B.jpeg
This is the whole ‘my first essay mark’ thing all over again - her acting like she’s being punished for ‘taking a chance’/‘experimenting’. No, Ruby, it just sucks. Your editor used the word ‘experimental’ as a euphemism.

• Haha
Reactions: 56
I hope that book doesn't involve another weird friendship between an older school child and a younger one. Which GCSE student is interested in the disappearance of a NINE year old?

• Heart
Reactions: 14
"Quite experimental"?

Amelie Dickason is the twalve year old Victorian ghost who comes to haunt the Drones household in Beddingtonshire. She leaves gifts of poetry and dead flies for the family, and helps the gifted daughter, Truby to fulfil her dreams of studying at Oxstead univarsity.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Her only techniques in her poetry are listing in threes and a bit of alliteration/assonance. She says absolutely duck all.

Reactions: 19
I'm just waiting for the dark academia wardrobe, the setting up my light academia desk x 1000

Reactions: 20
View attachment 2062378This is the whole ‘my first essay mark’ thing all over again - her acting like she’s being punished for ‘taking a chance’/‘experimenting’. No, Ruby, it just sucks. Your editor used the word ‘experimental’ as a euphemism.
Is she talking about the Lottie Parton one or has Penelope Peppermint also been scrapped?

Reactions: 12
Is she talking about the Lottie Parton one or has Penelope Peppermint also been scrapped?
I got the impression this was PANNALOPPEE PAPPERMANT, her Lemony Snickett ripoff. So she's pulled Lottie Parton because she got nothing but rejections and now her agent wouldn't even touch her next attempt. At what point is her agent going to cut their losses and ditch her?

Reactions: 16
WARNING: DISCUSSION OF ED AND MENTAL HEALTH (I don’t know how to make a spoiler tag…)

So I’ve been thinking of posting something on this thread for a while… I’ve been aware of Ruby and her videos since I did my GCSEs in 2018, and have *loved* all of your messages on these forums since I discovered Tattle in 2020 during the pandemic. To preface this, I am just a simple 20 (nearly 21! Wooo) year old girl and I take full responsibility if this is a bit too much…

Ruby, in some ways, reminds me of myself. Not completely, but in some ways, which makes it easier to both internally criticise her and have some sympathy.

I’ve been a massive perfectionist my entire life. Probably driven through a very weird childhood, but other factors made it worse. I started reading long children’s books when I was 6 ish, making the fact I could read all of the 5th Harry Potter book within a few hours one of my personality traits. I had very few friends, but I didn’t mind too much as I had a superiority complex and thought myself as ”better” and not like other girls for most of my childhood. As a young girl, my whole world was reading and reading, and reading and reading. And once I hit about 9 ish, just after moving to another country it moved to “facts”. Since everyone told me how “incredibly smart” (UGH I hate past me) I was, I just pushed into this mindset completely. My parents said I couldn’t talk about a single thing other than “fun facts” and I was obsessed with getting full marks on every test. It was only made worse by living in a country that placed a big importance on school performance from around that age, as scholarships are one of the only ways to afford university for most people (and uni is needed to have a comfortable life).

But we moved house and moved to the UK, and I gained *some self awareness*. I still didn’t accept anything less than perfect marks in my test, and my intelligence was my greatest asset. Most people in the year thought I was weird and either teased me, or just didn’t put up with how “holier than thou” I acted. Which is fair enough! I was insufferable. But I too, just like Ruby presumably, took it as “bullying”.

I finished my GCSEs, with my two grade 6s really impacting my confidence, but I pushed on. And then A-Levels were cancelled by the pandemic and suddenly I was at university. BSc (Hans) 1st Class Economics graduate with 5,000,000 grad scheme offers here I come!

Now, I’ve always suffered with mental health issues. Most of being a teenager I was very skinny, and this obviously was a great source of pride at the time, as I really did base my “value” on everyone else’s opinions. My mood was all over the place and I could be a massive witch to my family.

But coming to university, oh my God. Nothing was as hard as uni for me. I’ve lived in 3 continents, been in 12 schools, all of my family either have chronic illnesses or some kind of severe mental health problem. But nothing was as hard as uni. Slowly I gained weight, my marks were no longer perfect and I’ll probably be graduating with a 2.1 at best this July.

But I’ve grown up a lot. It took a lot of self reflecting, but I’m finally growing and realising my self worth IS NOT my grades. Or my weight. How little I eat. How smart I sound. How bleeping successful I am. I don’t have a single job offer, I’m just going to live at home (bless my parents for letting me move back, I am so lucky for that tbh) and save money and hopefully do a Masters. I’ve even fallen back in love with economics after despising everything about the subject thanks to my fragile self worth.

And in this, I see Ruby. I can see her behaviours in mine. I’m a massive mess, but I felt the need my entire life to appear perfect online and to others (whether it’s true or me just bullshitting to them). Whether its lying about reading xyzzy amount of books in her case, or taking my BeReal with uni work and complaining about the intensity when I didn’t even have the energy to read a word of a powerpoint in my case. Posting her tiny meals, or me posting only super healthy and perfect looking meals I’ve cooked. Ruby feeling so distraught about a slightly lower than her unattainable (and unrealistic…. I’ve read her book) grade expectations, or me feeling like a failure with A*AA not 3A*s.

The issue is though, I grew up a bit. I’ve self reflected. I’ve gained self awareness and I am SO embarrassed by who I was. How catty I was to my brothers all because they don’t force perfection onto themselves and are happy. Never accepting a single criticism without being excessively defensive because my whole worth/value feels attacked.

Ruby… Doesn’t seem like she has. I don’t think she’ll be happy at Oxford. Whether she achieves what she sets out to or not, It’s just another opportunity to set herself targets above what she’s capable and feel tit inside again. The way she reacted to her dissertation mark exemplifies her top standards perfectly. And you can’t be so fragile if you want to achieve the best, you need to be able to accept critique and work on yourself.

I once dreamed of Oxford. And a small part of me would love the prestige of messaging my family abroad about it, seeming the perfect daughter and granddaughter, oh so impressive. But it wouldn’t be good for me. I also just can’t afford it lol. I wish she’d realise how privileged she is but that’s another tall order…. I at least had working full time during uni to afford to live to help humble myself.

And finally, I’m not one to diagnose. Nor is it appropriate for me to do so. But I’ve recently been diagnosed with ASD. And honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if I relate to Ruby in ways because of this too.

Sorry for the massive ramble and I apologise if I’ve crossed some unspoken lines, but I wanted to share my thoughts

Also I may delete this in a few days or so, just realised my username doxxes me a bit and I don't have an invite code to make a new account - anyone know how to change a username???
Thank you for sharing your story with us here. I hope you’re proud of how far you have come and how much you’ve matured. You’re crushing it xx

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Thank you for sharing your story with us here. I hope you’re proud of how far you have come and how much you’ve matured. You’re crushing it xx
Those of us who watch Ruby are often bookish people/were bookish introverted kids- I love this thread, we’re like a secret community of outsiders who prefer booktube to Molly Mae, it’s full of such interesting people :) Just wish we had someone better to look up to than Ruby!

Reactions: 25
I can't help but think whenever I see a picture of Ruby pre 2020, she looks so unhealthy now- gaunt is the best way I can describe it. I don't know whether that's her physical health or the mental toll of university, but I cant imagine Oxford will be good for her at all. I feel like you'd need to be pretty mentally healthy to cope with the workload (anyone remember how Eve Bennett, who's always seemed pretty well rounded, really struggled with mental health in her first year?)

Has Roob ever read and shared a review or response to The Secret History? I can't remember. Pondering it now because of her potentially entering her dark macadamia era

Reactions: 1
Flowery nonsense crap.

Example:
The drifting mists..... drift. Yeah, we got that part the first time around. Why are you repeating yourself? No words? No idea what you are doing?
If the mist "skim away", wtf is "lingering there"? It can't. It already left. You said it skimmed away. Gone. Over. Finis.
Hang on, but this bit is very original. “...we breathe, through these, our mizzled farts.” I wonder if this is about the rainy day she trapped Blakeney in the old van and force fed her kombucha.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
What do we think her inevitable Oxford Lookbook style will be?

I guess her wardrobe will include: -

- straw boater hat
- crumpled blazers
- the Miss Patina coooooo-lotts
- the clumpy brown lace up shoes
- blouses with comically oversized collars
- tangled long hair

Reactions: 26
What do we think her inevitable Oxford Lookbook style will be?

I guess her wardrobe will include: -

- straw boater hat
- crumpled blazers
- the Miss Patina coooooo-lotts
- the clumpy brown lace up shoes
- blouses with comically oversized collars
- tangled long hair
Don’t forget her old musty, crusty, dusty brown doc martens that should’ve been binned about 5 years ago 🤪! No Ruby granger outfit is complete without those.

Reactions: 8
For someone who loves dark macademia, I'm surprised she doesn't write cursive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.