Ruby Granger #37 You can still get one while you can

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@LostGhosts I hope your thread title gets chosen. 1. because its funny and 2. You read Erimentha and re-capped the whole thing for us.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
View attachment 2059781

POV: You're studying at Oxford University and suddenly you spot Ruby lumbering around the grounds like Frankenstein's monster. She has a big hole in her tights and appears to be gorping wistfully into the sky and smiling at nothing in particular. You consider calling for help so that someone can take her home since she's clearly not all there. But then you remember that this is Ruby, and so her mummy can't be far behind.

She was accepted into one of the most prestigious universities, claims to be an expert in literature who reads hundreds of books a year, and she makes a living on YouTube making videos and yet she still doesn't know how POV works.
No no no she got it right! She just forgot to add "... But a suspiciously old-looking TWALVE-year-old with weirdly stiff arms keeps blocking your view".

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Wondering how she'll do if she can't get a new Blakeney when she is in Oxford ? I do wonder how much she did rely on her for getting through uni before ? I don't think that she will get through Oxford using her old techniques.

Reactions: 18
Wondering how she'll do if she can't get a new Blakeney when she is in Oxford ? I do wonder how much she did rely on her for getting through uni before ? I don't think that she will get through Oxford using her old techniques.
Yes, and this course is shorter in duration so the window of time to make friends where you can 'collaborate' *cough* copy *cough*, is much shorter than the Bachelors. Course mates will be keeping their heads down in the library, working on their own work. Is it a 9 month course? That will be over in a flash, Ruby is in for a shock, she's spent most of her gap year painting watercolours and posting letters and twirling in the garden in a nightdress. Surely her masters is going to require her to do a lot of studying in a short amount of time. Let's hope she frequents the library this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23
Ruby: "Hallo, ChatGPT! Please wroyte me ayy Maahster's thesis which is VARRY original and will gat me thee hoighest grade avver."

ChatGPT: "I'm sorry, can you rephrase your request in a language that exists?"

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I wonder if she'll even bother trying to make friends since the course will only be for nine months (other than to copy their ideas). At least with Exeter she knew she had no choice since she would (theoretically) be there for three years. I can definitely see her being more isolated than ever, with not even her parents to speak to if she has to live near campus.

Reactions: 12
I hope that we get a video about what she is planning on doing in the future. 9 months will fly by and we will need to think about what she wants to do afterwards. Applying to jobs or going for a PhD should probably also take up quite a bit of her time there.
In this video : she mentioned that she was interested in the Cambridge masters but that it wasn't her first choice. No mention of Oxford though. She does say that after her masters she would like to work before going on to do a PhD. I can't see Ruby only doing Youtube as a job though.

Reactions: 10
I hope that we get a video about what she is planning on doing in the future. 9 months will fly by and we will need to think about what she wants to do afterwards. Applying to jobs or going for a PhD should probably also take up quite a bit of her time there.
In this video : she mentioned that she was interested in the Cambridge masters but that it wasn't her first choice. No mention of Oxford though. She does say that after her masters she would like to work before going on to do a PhD. I can't see Ruby only doing Youtube as a job though.
In the humanities, it's much harder going back to a PhD after a significant break. You've not researched for a time and the field develops.
Not that it's impossible, but it's harder. Plus, once she works, she might not want to go back to a lower PhD salary.

Reactions: 6
50AAB220-5C5F-4E0A-B4A8-A15DB74E0E98.png

---
Guys wake up new bOUlly spotted on Tiktok

E367728E-2710-4A2F-9248-22A51225AE5B.png

4DE2B70D-F8FF-4CDF-AEDB-E62EFCC796D0.png

The collars are getting bigger and bigger. She’ll be 90% collar by the time she gets to Oxford
---

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
I doubt she'll ever work in industry. Once she finishes her masters she'll be straight down the literature PhD pipeline and after that she'll either scam her way into a post-doc or lecturing position at a low-ranked UK uni (University of East London is apparently the 'worst' and thus most likely to have low enough standards to employ her, though it's a bit too far from Mummy and Daddy Bones) or she'll retreat to the Dickinson life.

Reactions: 10
oh goody, another masterpiece about weather, it’s like she’s preparing for the Mediocrity Olympics

7C0B5772-9FFE-40DC-BC24-BBF2B4B61CEC.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 20
WARNING: DISCUSSION OF ED AND MENTAL HEALTH (I don’t know how to make a spoiler tag…)

So I’ve been thinking of posting something on this thread for a while… I’ve been aware of Ruby and her videos since I did my GCSEs in 2018, and have *loved* all of your messages on these forums since I discovered Tattle in 2020 during the pandemic. To preface this, I am just a simple 20 (nearly 21! Wooo) year old girl and I take full responsibility if this is a bit too much…

Ruby, in some ways, reminds me of myself. Not completely, but in some ways, which makes it easier to both internally criticise her and have some sympathy.

I’ve been a massive perfectionist my entire life. Probably driven through a very weird childhood, but other factors made it worse. I started reading long children’s books when I was 6 ish, making the fact I could read all of the 5th Harry Potter book within a few hours one of my personality traits. I had very few friends, but I didn’t mind too much as I had a superiority complex and thought myself as ”better” and not like other girls for most of my childhood. As a young girl, my whole world was reading and reading, and reading and reading. And once I hit about 9 ish, just after moving to another country it moved to “facts”. Since everyone told me how “incredibly smart” (UGH I hate past me) I was, I just pushed into this mindset completely. My parents said I couldn’t talk about a single thing other than “fun facts” and I was obsessed with getting full marks on every test. It was only made worse by living in a country that placed a big importance on school performance from around that age, as scholarships are one of the only ways to afford university for most people (and uni is needed to have a comfortable life).

But we moved house and moved to the UK, and I gained *some self awareness*. I still didn’t accept anything less than perfect marks in my test, and my intelligence was my greatest asset. Most people in the year thought I was weird and either teased me, or just didn’t put up with how “holier than thou” I acted. Which is fair enough! I was insufferable. But I too, just like Ruby presumably, took it as “bullying”.

I finished my GCSEs, with my two grade 6s really impacting my confidence, but I pushed on. And then A-Levels were cancelled by the pandemic and suddenly I was at university. BSc (Hans) 1st Class Economics graduate with 5,000,000 grad scheme offers here I come!

Now, I’ve always suffered with mental health issues. Most of being a teenager I was very skinny, and this obviously was a great source of pride at the time, as I really did base my “value” on everyone else’s opinions. My mood was all over the place and I could be a massive witch to my family.

But coming to university, oh my God. Nothing was as hard as uni for me. I’ve lived in 3 continents, been in 12 schools, all of my family either have chronic illnesses or some kind of severe mental health problem. But nothing was as hard as uni. Slowly I gained weight, my marks were no longer perfect and I’ll probably be graduating with a 2.1 at best this July.

But I’ve grown up a lot. It took a lot of self reflecting, but I’m finally growing and realising my self worth IS NOT my grades. Or my weight. How little I eat. How smart I sound. How bleeping successful I am. I don’t have a single job offer, I’m just going to live at home (bless my parents for letting me move back, I am so lucky for that tbh) and save money and hopefully do a Masters. I’ve even fallen back in love with economics after despising everything about the subject thanks to my fragile self worth.

And in this, I see Ruby. I can see her behaviours in mine. I’m a massive mess, but I felt the need my entire life to appear perfect online and to others (whether it’s true or me just bullshitting to them). Whether its lying about reading xyzzy amount of books in her case, or taking my BeReal with uni work and complaining about the intensity when I didn’t even have the energy to read a word of a powerpoint in my case. Posting her tiny meals, or me posting only super healthy and perfect looking meals I’ve cooked. Ruby feeling so distraught about a slightly lower than her unattainable (and unrealistic…. I’ve read her book) grade expectations, or me feeling like a failure with A*AA not 3A*s.

The issue is though, I grew up a bit. I’ve self reflected. I’ve gained self awareness and I am SO embarrassed by who I was. How catty I was to my brothers all because they don’t force perfection onto themselves and are happy. Never accepting a single criticism without being excessively defensive because my whole worth/value feels attacked.

Ruby… Doesn’t seem like she has. I don’t think she’ll be happy at Oxford. Whether she achieves what she sets out to or not, It’s just another opportunity to set herself targets above what she’s capable and feel tit inside again. The way she reacted to her dissertation mark exemplifies her top standards perfectly. And you can’t be so fragile if you want to achieve the best, you need to be able to accept critique and work on yourself.

I once dreamed of Oxford. And a small part of me would love the prestige of messaging my family abroad about it, seeming the perfect daughter and granddaughter, oh so impressive. But it wouldn’t be good for me. I also just can’t afford it lol. I wish she’d realise how privileged she is but that’s another tall order…. I at least had working full time during uni to afford to live to help humble myself.

And finally, I’m not one to diagnose. Nor is it appropriate for me to do so. But I’ve recently been diagnosed with ASD. And honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if I relate to Ruby in ways because of this too.

Sorry for the massive ramble and I apologise if I’ve crossed some unspoken lines, but I wanted to share my thoughts

Also I may delete this in a few days or so, just realised my username doxxes me a bit and I don't have an invite code to make a new account - anyone know how to change a username???

• Heart
Reactions: 38
WARNING: DISCUSSION OF ED AND MENTAL HEALTH (I don’t know how to make a spoiler tag…)

So I’ve been thinking of posting something on this thread for a while… I’ve been aware of Ruby and her videos since I did my GCSEs in 2018, and have *loved* all of your messages on these forums since I discovered Tattle in 2020 during the pandemic. To preface this, I am just a simple 20 (nearly 21! Wooo) year old girl and I take full responsibility if this is a bit too much…

Ruby, in some ways, reminds me of myself. Not completely, but in some ways, which makes it easier to both internally criticise her and have some sympathy.

I’ve been a massive perfectionist my entire life. Probably driven through a very weird childhood, but other factors made it worse. I started reading long children’s books when I was 6 ish, making the fact I could read all of the 5th Harry Potter book within a few hours one of my personality traits. I had very few friends, but I didn’t mind too much as I had a superiority complex and thought myself as ”better” and not like other girls for most of my childhood. As a young girl, my whole world was reading and reading, and reading and reading. And once I hit about 9 ish, just after moving to another country it moved to “facts”. Since everyone told me how “incredibly smart” (UGH I hate past me) I was, I just pushed into this mindset completely. My parents said I couldn’t talk about a single thing other than “fun facts” and I was obsessed with getting full marks on every test. It was only made worse by living in a country that placed a big importance on school performance from around that age, as scholarships are one of the only ways to afford university for most people (and uni is needed to have a comfortable life).

But we moved house and moved to the UK, and I gained *some self awareness*. I still didn’t accept anything less than perfect marks in my test, and my intelligence was my greatest asset. Most people in the year thought I was weird and either teased me, or just didn’t put up with how “holier than thou” I acted. Which is fair enough! I was insufferable. But I too, just like Ruby presumably, took it as “bullying”.

I finished my GCSEs, with my two grade 6s really impacting my confidence, but I pushed on. And then A-Levels were cancelled by the pandemic and suddenly I was at university. BSc (Hans) 1st Class Economics graduate with 5,000,000 grad scheme offers here I come!

Now, I’ve always suffered with mental health issues. Most of being a teenager I was very skinny, and this obviously was a great source of pride at the time, as I really did base my “value” on everyone else’s opinions. My mood was all over the place and I could be a massive witch to my family.

But coming to university, oh my God. Nothing was as hard as uni for me. I’ve lived in 3 continents, been in 12 schools, all of my family either have chronic illnesses or some kind of severe mental health problem. But nothing was as hard as uni. Slowly I gained weight, my marks were no longer perfect and I’ll probably be graduating with a 2.1 at best this July.

But I’ve grown up a lot. It took a lot of self reflecting, but I’m finally growing and realising my self worth IS NOT my grades. Or my weight. How little I eat. How smart I sound. How bleeping successful I am. I don’t have a single job offer, I’m just going to live at home (bless my parents for letting me move back, I am so lucky for that tbh) and save money and hopefully do a Masters. I’ve even fallen back in love with economics after despising everything about the subject thanks to my fragile self worth.

And in this, I see Ruby. I can see her behaviours in mine. I’m a massive mess, but I felt the need my entire life to appear perfect online and to others (whether it’s true or me just bullshitting to them). Whether its lying about reading xyzzy amount of books in her case, or taking my BeReal with uni work and complaining about the intensity when I didn’t even have the energy to read a word of a powerpoint in my case. Posting her tiny meals, or me posting only super healthy and perfect looking meals I’ve cooked. Ruby feeling so distraught about a slightly lower than her unattainable (and unrealistic…. I’ve read her book) grade expectations, or me feeling like a failure with A*AA not 3A*s.

The issue is though, I grew up a bit. I’ve self reflected. I’ve gained self awareness and I am SO embarrassed by who I was. How catty I was to my brothers all because they don’t force perfection onto themselves and are happy. Never accepting a single criticism without being excessively defensive because my whole worth/value feels attacked.

Ruby… Doesn’t seem like she has. I don’t think she’ll be happy at Oxford. Whether she achieves what she sets out to or not, It’s just another opportunity to set herself targets above what she’s capable and feel tit inside again. The way she reacted to her dissertation mark exemplifies her top standards perfectly. And you can’t be so fragile if you want to achieve the best, you need to be able to accept critique and work on yourself.

I once dreamed of Oxford. And a small part of me would love the prestige of messaging my family abroad about it, seeming the perfect daughter and granddaughter, oh so impressive. But it wouldn’t be good for me. I also just can’t afford it lol. I wish she’d realise how privileged she is but that’s another tall order…. I at least had working full time during uni to afford to live to help humble myself.

And finally, I’m not one to diagnose. Nor is it appropriate for me to do so. But I’ve recently been diagnosed with ASD. And honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if I relate to Ruby in ways because of this too.

Sorry for the massive ramble and I apologise if I’ve crossed some unspoken lines, but I wanted to share my thoughts

Also I may delete this in a few days or so, just realised my username doxxes me a bit and I don't have an invite code to make a new account - anyone know how to change a username???
Sorry I don’t have time to read your whole post, but you can’t change your username and you only get a limited time (literally a few minutes) to delete your post before it is permanently locked onto the thread, so if you’ve doxxed yourself please delete the post asap

I don’t think the post is doxxing unless someone reallllyyy wanted to find them and also they haven’t said anything bad, just made some good points and stared truths about themselves, nothing problematic :)

Reactions: 15
the big barrier to getting into oxford for a masters isnt your intellectual ability or grades (sure you need good enough grades but you dont need to be a genius) the main barrier is money.
if you can pay the massive fees and living costs, like ruby can you can pretend to be at hogwarts for a year

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.