Ruby Granger #33 Goes on a boat, dresses like Captain Birdseye

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It is a bit of a stretch but I'm wondering if Ruby is set on becoming Emily Dickenson after I did a bit of research on the woman for five minutes.

1) Emily Dickenson started to become a recluse at the age of 23. Ruby is 22, and while she does go outside, for now, she does spend a lot of time in the Bones Manor and doesn't go outside and socialize with people other than her parents. By30, Dickenson was a total recluse and rarely left her bedroom, and Ruby does similar. I can see Ruby doing similar to Dickenson in order to mimic her favorite writer, perhaps claiming that becoming a recluse is a good writer's aesthetic. By the age of 30, Dickenson was a total recluse and I'm wondering if we will see the same for Ruby when she hits thirty.

2) Emily would also only really correspond with people through letters and Ruby does have all of her young pen pals and it's how she is looking for friends. I can see Ruby thinking that her letters would be worthy of getting published especially when she is a writer and for people to study them- though it would only be used to study the mind of a recluse who spends the day acting like a child and twirling around in her garden.

3)Dickenson was known for wearing white. The only thing that I need to say is Ruby wearing that white nightgown and running around like a victorian ghost in her night routine video not too long ago. Also, I did notice that Ruby was dressed in an old nightgown after she wrote her poetry in the studio. Would Ruby take up her aesthetic to mimic her favorite writer?

4) Writing like Dickenson and tearing up the paper. This was a bizarre show from Ruby and it had actually surprised me to see her tear up paper like she was a child. Instead of finding her own literary voice, Ruby is mimicking a famous poet, showing a lack of creativity and authenticity toward her own work. It has made me believe, combined with her asking her viewers for ideas from books, and also her copying from YA thrillers for plot lines, that Ruby is just hoping that if she copies from a published author enough and applies it to her own books then something is going to stick and she is going to get published.

The ripping up the paper was just a lot of performative nonsense just to be like a writer and just to fulfill an aesthetic. Nothing that she does is orginal and she is constantly copying from others instead of having individual thought or creative drive.

5) From Thomas Wentworth Higginson said that in comparison to Dickenson that he had never been ' with any one who drained my nerve power so much. Without touching her, she drew from me. I am glad not to live near her.' It made me think about Ruby and my experiance of watching her videos, I don't know if anyone else feels the same way.

I don't know if it's a case of class envy but I do wonder how much Ruby has spent ont this holiday. I think it's great that she actually went forward on this holiday and she is seeing the world and not stuck in her bedroom, but I'm curious about the money that she is spending. To do an hour writing session in the Emily Dickenson museum it's $200 for an hour and it's not avalible to the public. Ruby can afford to do things such as this but refuses to pay$17 for a book. Also the offering to give £100 to five people feels like bad taste and I'm glad that she took it down. She could have given it to a food bank or a community organisation and it would have made all the diffrence. It's just feels like she was doing something to pat herself on the back and ease her conscious for a bit. If Ruby wanted to make a diffrence, she would have done so. I do wonder what prompted this sudden urge to donate.

• Wow
Reactions: 22
Ruby: "Hallo, moiy nyame's Ryoobee and oiy hyope tyoo bee ayy wroytah someday..."

Also Ruby:

mqdefault.jpg

What Ruby means to say is: "Oiy hyope tyoo gat ayy HYOOOJ book deal from a MAJOR POBLISHA and gat LYOTS AND LYOTS OF MONEE fwore VARRY LITTLE WAHRK."

Same energy:

frankensteinmonster.gif

After lurching around "AMMILLY DICKINSUN'S BADRYOOM" in her too-large clomping school shoes, her arms bolted to her sides like she's expecting a bear to crash through the window and maul her if she makes any sudden moves, a fake smile on her face the whole time, she starts yammering about how emotional an experience this was.

"HONNASTLEEE, oiy cwould feel this TANGIBLE PRASSANCE when oiy whwalked in."

Whenever Ruby says "HONNASTLEE", "JANUINELY", "OIY PROMISE YOO" or "OIY'M NOT LOIYING WHAN OIY SAY...", it's a given that she's lying. And if that weren't enough...

Untit80980l6575665685867475645645678765756756678775675668776ed.jpg

While she's claiming that she "HONASTLEEE" had a "STRWONG", "INTANNSE" emotional experience walking into AMMILLY DICKINSUN'S room, she breaks out the poker tell one-eyed squint she does whenever she's making tit up.

97b2f9e5939af8347e790599772aec89c5dd1a7e&rid=giphy.gif

Then she follows it up by showing herself awkwardly standing around, with a look of "...and now what?" bored bewilderment on her face, like she's wondering what she's supposed to be doing or why she's even there. Such an "INTANNSE ACKSPERIENCE"!

And then she starts heavily implying that the ghost of AMMILLY DICKINSUN possessed her and she acted as a spiritual conduit for AMMILLY'S writing...

"OIY rilly wanted to DYOO the koiynds of wroiting that AMMILLY DICKINSUN was myost...PARTIAL TYOO? Which is OFFCWOARSE pyoetry AND LATTERS. Syo oiy started off boiy wroiting somm pyoetreeee... and...OIY WAS acksually RILLY SUPPROISED boiy WHAT OIY WRYOTE! It anded up being VARRY MOCH in the DICKENSUN STOIYLE...syo oiy used DASHES and FRAGMENTS and HWALF-ROIYMES...oiy alsyo found moiysalf slipping intyo a koind of...semi-hymnic rhythm, which is wot...she tanded to yoose?"

Untit80980l65756656858674756456456787657567566787756890566575668776ed.jpg

Ruby interrupts herself and put on her sceptic hat for a second for an artificially sped-up, manic ramble:

"I think mwost loikelee this is becoss oiy--KAPT ON THINKING--of--SPECIFICKLOINESFROMPOETRYAMRECOITINGTHOSE--to moisalf? It'sprobablynotthatsupproising."

She says "most likely", leaving the door open for other, more ghostly explanations, when she knows exactly why she wrote what she wrote.

In reality, Ruby intentionally went in there to write like Emily Dickinson, because all she does is try to emulate other writers and books since she has no passion, talent or interest in writing of her own. She did not spiritually channel the ghost of Emily Dickinson, nor was this an emotional, magical bit of universal wonderment. It was Ruby faking an interest in tit again and playing make-believe.

She spent the whole session bored and distracted, with more time spent staring into space or angrily glaring at the camera than anything else:

Untit80980l657566568586747564564567876575675667877567566575668776ed.jpg

Untit80980l6575665685867475645645678809809876809095756756678890807756890566575668776ed.jpg

Untit80980l65756656858674756456456788098098768090957567566788908900807756890566575668776ed.jpg

She also included footage of herself aggressively wiping her nose on her hand, then proceeding to touch stuff in Emily Dickinson's room:

Untit80980l6575665685867475645645678765756756678890807756890566575668776ed.jpg

BOHT SHE'S SOCH A JARMAPHYOBE!

This is why you should be paying attention in editing, Ruby.

Ruby announces she's going to read us some of this ripped-off poetry, "even though it's nyot varry gud".

Now that should've been the title for this video, Ruby: "I wrote a poem and it's not very good." In fact, just name them all that if you insist on shoving bad poems about the weather and seagulls in everything.

"How moch, oiy wondah--
of a myoment is creeyated?
Crawwfted from grawwfts and imprashuns--
sonlit revisions?
the schoolyard bell--
sat down
with pancil byookays
and yallow wahlpyaper
told to WROITE--
to craft--and create a moment
from fyigments and filaments
BARNT BLACK as Titania's hahr.
Told to cryeate a myoment
to capcha it farmly
"TARN OSS FROM DOST INTO AHHR"
to breathe loife intyo graphoite
and back agann."

Ruby writes some meandering drivel about being frustratedly forced to write in a school setting when she gets the opportunity to write in Emily Dickenson's bedroom, because that definitely helps make it look like she enjoyed herself... The irony of her apparently lamenting how much of life's moments are crafted when she travelled across the world to put on an unconvincing performance on a fake "pilgrimage" based on a completely fabricated love of writing and reading is seemingly lost on her.

Untit80980l6575665685867475645645678809809876809095767887567566788908900807756890566575668776ed.jpg

She shows another poem and it's just more stilted, repetitive crap about the weather right in front of her. Big shocker.

She rambles about "LATTER-WROYTING ATTI-KET" for a while. She says how AMMILY wouldn't worry about etiquette when writing and would just write naturally and include whatever errors happened.

Then Ruby decides she's not going to just strip away all her Victorian nonsense and write a letter some someone like a normal human being. Instead going to intentionally going to rip up some already torn scrap paper to write a letter on.

Untit80980l65756656858674756456456788097688780987680909576788756756678890890080775689056657566...jpg

Instead of just writing what she wants on the paper she has, like Emily would have, Ruby intentionally creates some weird, fake process of bullshittery. She describes this as freeing because "it eliminyates PERFACKSIONISM" and "the need fahr it tyo bee PAARFACT" (a problem that Ruby has never actually had, considering everything she does is utterly incompetent and full of lazy errors). It doesn't seem freeing or natural. It's just another fake, adopted affectation.

Untit80980l65756656858674756456456788097688780987668878090957678875675667889089008077568905665...jpg

Same energy:

Whistlers-Mother.jpg

Untit80980l65756656850807756890566575668776ed.jpg

She shows herself scribbling more forced poetry. She insists on using outdated language like "o'er" to try to directly associate herself with and rip off dead poets rather than just writing for herself and writing naturally.

But this is what happens when you have no interest in writing, no talent for it and no passion for it: You just copy other people who've been successful in the past, hoping that'll be a shortcut to the success they had.

She rambles some more about how profound the AMMILLY DICKINSUN WROYTING ACKSPERIENCE was, and claims that being in AMMILLY'S BADRYOOM supercharged her senses and situational awareness.

"Oiy found moiysalf being hoiper-attantive and hoiper-awaahr of the thingsaround me? ...It was loiyke moiy SANSES...wahhr...in...YOHVERDROIVE...and...umm...YAH, it was rilly qwool."

Untit80980l65756656850807756890566575668776ed copy.png

Yeah, that checks out...

She caps it off by mangling a few lines from an AMMILLY DICKINSUN poem in her fake Emma Watson accent and then offering up the writing tips she learned.

1. WROYTE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NOIGHT OR WHAN IT'S SOYLENT.
2. WROYTE ON A VARRY SMALL DASK WHAHHR THAHRR IS NYO CLOTTA.
3. WROYTE WHAAR YOU CAN SEE THE NATURAL WAHHRLD.
4. HANG UP PITCHERS OF YORE FAVOURITE AWWTHORS TYO INSPOIRE YOO.
5. WROYTE ON SCRAPS OF PAPAH AND AWLMYOST DEFACE THE PAPAH BEFWORE YOO WROYTE ON IT.

Ruby suggests writing on scrap paper and screwing it up before using it to "eliminate perfectionism". It's utter, superficial nonsense. Writing on bits of scrap paper won't be too helpful if you're writing anything but a shopping list. If you want to eliminate perfectionism, don't worry about how the paper looks, worry about what you're focusing on with your actual writing. Maybe don't write on actual paper and instead use a laptop where you can edit easier and more conveniently. You don't need to see greenery and hedge mazes at all times in order to write.

It's almost complete nonsense, and even more sign that Ruby had no interest in writing and doesn't approach it from a standpoint of enjoying it and finding a method that actually works for her. It's just another fake interest where she keeps adopting performative traits that aren't universally helpful or conducive to it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
It is a bit of a stretch but I'm wondering if Ruby is set on becoming Emily Dickenson after I did a bit of research on the woman for five minutes.

1) Emily Dickenson started to become a recluse at the age of 23. Ruby is 22, and while she does go outside, for now, she does spend a lot of time in the Bones Manor and doesn't go outside and socialize with people other than her parents. By30, Dickenson was a total recluse and rarely left her bedroom, and Ruby does similar. I can see Ruby doing similar to Dickenson in order to mimic her favorite writer, perhaps claiming that becoming a recluse is a good writer's aesthetic. By the age of 30, Dickenson was a total recluse and I'm wondering if we will see the same for Ruby when she hits thirty.

2) Emily would also only really correspond with people through letters and Ruby does have all of her young pen pals and it's how she is looking for friends. I can see Ruby thinking that her letters would be worthy of getting published especially when she is a writer and for people to study them- though it would only be used to study the mind of a recluse who spends the day acting like a child and twirling around in her garden.

3)Dickenson was known for wearing white. The only thing that I need to say is Ruby wearing that white nightgown and running around like a victorian ghost in her night routine video not too long ago. Also, I did notice that Ruby was dressed in an old nightgown after she wrote her poetry in the studio. Would Ruby take up her aesthetic to mimic her favorite writer?

4) Writing like Dickenson and tearing up the paper. This was a bizarre show from Ruby and it had actually surprised me to see her tear up paper like she was a child. Instead of finding her own literary voice, Ruby is mimicking a famous poet, showing a lack of creativity and authenticity toward her own work. It has made me believe, combined with her asking her viewers for ideas from books, and also her copying from YA thrillers for plot lines, that Ruby is just hoping that if she copies from a published author enough and applies it to her own books then something is going to stick and she is going to get published.

The ripping up the paper was just a lot of performative nonsense just to be like a writer and just to fulfill an aesthetic. Nothing that she does is orginal and she is constantly copying from others instead of having individual thought or creative drive.

5) From Thomas Wentworth Higginson said that in comparison to Dickenson that he had never been ' with any one who drained my nerve power so much. Without touching her, she drew from me. I am glad not to live near her.' It made me think about Ruby and my experiance of watching her videos, I don't know if anyone else feels the same way.

I don't know if it's a case of class envy but I do wonder how much Ruby has spent ont this holiday. I think it's great that she actually went forward on this holiday and she is seeing the world and not stuck in her bedroom, but I'm curious about the money that she is spending. To do an hour writing session in the Emily Dickenson museum it's $200 for an hour and it's not avalible to the public. Ruby can afford to do things such as this but refuses to pay$17 for a book. Also the offering to give £100 to five people feels like bad taste and I'm glad that she took it down. She could have given it to a food bank or a community organisation and it would have made all the diffrence. It's just feels like she was doing something to pat herself on the back and ease her conscious for a bit. If Ruby wanted to make a diffrence, she would have done so. I do wonder what prompted this sudden urge to donate.
This could also be said about the Lord Byron thing. I know someone in a previous thread speculated about how she was obsessed with Lord Byron for that one video and how she probably wants to be known as “ethereal” or “beautiful” like he was, especially since he was known to have strange dietary habits and a possible (tw) ED

Ruby is becoming a “frankenwriter” lmfao. She takes (what she sees as) the admirable traits from all the writers she enjoys (“charitable” like dickens, recluse like dickenson, and “ethereal” like lord byron) and it ends up being a strange smorgasbord of her issues coming full frontal. I do feel bad for her sometimes but she also has a platform and should go and heal before promoting these things as a “lifestyle”

Reactions: 18
i’ve just caught up on all of the boston videos and oh my god how many times is she going to mispronounce ochre as “okra” before someone tells her

• Haha
Reactions: 11
View attachment 1711632

Now she is sending random people money? What the actual duck?

Omg Ruby has no common sense. She never seems to learn the lesson about boundaries and privacy. What if people aren't comfortable giving Ruby their personal details? How does she know if the person is genuine and not just looking for extra money? It's a minefield. Why can't she donate to a food bank, volunteer, or - big idea - kindly ask her dad to stop his tax avoidance.

Yeah, I've said it before, but this is one of the few occasions where Ruby should give herself more credit. She is a writer. She wrote and published a book. Sure, she's a terrible writer, and it was a terrible book, and the plot was borrowed from a dozen middle-grade bullying books, but nobody can wade through Erimentha Parker and not think, "Yep, Ruby wrote this alright."
Got to love a backhanded compliment. 😂 ''Yup, you did that. Nobody can say you didn't do that.''

That whole recap was hilarious, but this screenshot...I'm dead. 😭

The contrast between this photo and the recent ones is making me sad though. She looks a lot happier and healthier in the older image.

1667869346384.png

1667869459951.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
I wonder if Ruby is having an identity crisis since joining uni. All her life she has thought of herself, with encouragement from those around her, that she is this genius, born in the wrong era.

She must have thought she was so special. Then off she goes to uni and she is surrounded by peers who are just as clever as she is. If not more. With the bonus of actual life experience, so they have street smarts, interesting anecdotes and a sense of independence.

It must have knocked Ruby for six. A real ego crush to find that in the real world she really isn't THAT intelligent, creative and mysterious. Hence why she kept running home to her parents. They keep her in that "you're so special and need looking after" bubble. I almost feel sorry for her.

That could be why she seems desperately trying to stay school aged, and playing up the 'tortured genius' act. Lately she is acting so strangely, she seems heading for a nervous breakdown.

• Sad
Reactions: 26
I wonder if Ruby is having an identity crisis since joining uni. All her life she has thought of herself, with encouragement from those around her, that she is this genius, born in the wrong era.

She must have thought she was so special. Then off she goes to uni and she is surrounded by peers who are just as clever as she is. If not more. With the bonus of actual life experience, so they have street smarts, interesting anecdotes and a sense of independence.

It must have knocked Ruby for six. A real ego crush to find that in the real world she really isn't THAT intelligent, creative and mysterious. Hence why she kept running home to her parents. They keep her in that "you're so special and need looking after" bubble. I almost feel sorry for her.

That could be why she seems desperately trying to stay school aged, and playing up the 'tortured genius' act. Lately she is acting so strangely, she seems heading for a nervous breakdown.

I have no doubt that real life is for Ruby hard. I think she came from a very very spoiled background. And coming somewhere or from a family where you have always been the good, the one who behaves, the one who get attention and affection when you a good kid and you have never any check with reality - of course you get knocked out.
I think this is the reason why it is so important when you have wealthy background and children not only to put your children into rich colleges or school in general but make sure they have contact with the standard people.
Of course Ruby thought she is the best, the cleverest, the wisest person. THE Youtuber, THE Writer, THE gifted Child.
The first shock had to be not beeing good enough for Oxford and the second after beeing in College that there are people out there who are much more talented and much more gifted than she is.
And I think it is very hard - in every age - to realize how empty your life is. No positive support from your parents, no friends, not gifted in anything. The old way of getting praise only to write sticky notes or papers full of text is not working. I think Ruby realized that in real life College means work, having friends means work, having a positive relationship with your fam means work and when you realize its not a positive relationship even more hard work to detach yourself.
Of course its all shocking and overwhelming. Growing up sucks. Its not easy. And living in Fairy Land vor 18 years and then getting contact to the real world - its like the first time swimming - overwhelming.

But here is the point:Ruby had one benefig: money. She could have easily went through therapy, rent an appartment. Went to interships where you dont get any money. She could have build up her one life in this four college and a sense of self, a sense of identity and some goals in her life.
But instead of going forward - she went only in this 4 years backward. No progress. Nothing at all.

Reactions: 13
She's done a vlog about her visit to the museum of a world-famous poet and shown us next to nothing of the museum. We don't hear from any of the museum guides. We don't see the rest of the rooms in the house. We barely get to see anything of the famous bedroom itself. She doesn't even promote the fact that these "sessions" in Emily's room are something the museum actually makes available to the public for a fee...I'm sure she could have at least worked that in there somehow, but I suppose then it wouldn't have sounded like something rare and special that's only offered to a select few.

She needs to step away from social media. It's good that she tried taking a trip by herself, but if the purpose of this trip was to create content that would help her evolve beyond her old student identity, then this trip's been a failure. She spent a week in Boston and apparently saw nothing of it but a public park, her B&B room, a couple of bookstores (that she didn't even like!), a coffee shop, and a bleak stretch of beach. She went to the Emily Dickinson Museum and hasn't shared anything about it with her audience except her own writing session in Emily's room. Now she's on to wherever to show us nothing of that place, too. She's just really bad at this.

She seems like a homebody whose intellect and interests are pretty average and who isn't particularly passionate about anything. And there's nothing wrong with that. She's fortunate enough to have money, so without social media she could've had a perfectly happy life just hanging out with her mum and maybe dabbling in the sort of Country Life hobby that's suitable for a rich, socially awkward English girl (horses? horticulture? historic homes?). But she's decided to put herself online for years with a made-up image that's becoming increasingly difficult to sustain. I wonder if this is the real root of her apparent mental health issues, or if they would have manifested anyway, even without the self-imposed burden of being extremely online.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
She doesn't even promote the fact that these "sessions" in Emily's room are something the museum actually makes available to the public for a fee...I'm sure she could have at least worked that in there somehow, but I suppose then it wouldn't have sounded like something rare and special that's only offered to a select few.
That also would've made it more obvious that she was gifted a $200 session experience (at the least), which she's done everything she can to avoid declaring.

She claims to have "worked with" the museum on a "volunteer basis", but there's no indication that she did anything beyond not having to pay for anything at the museum in exchange for shoddy ad posts.

It's no different from her getting paid in cash and/or gifted products to endorse something. She looked just as bored and wooden as she always does when claiming to love things she got for free, did just as bad a job at advertising the product and has been just as dishonest about it all as always.

Reactions: 15
who isn't particularly passionate about anything
Um, so you're claiming Ruby has no passion? If this isn't the face of someone brimming with enthusiasm then what is?

1667881188952.png
1667881366474.png
1667881417793.png

On a more serious note, I think Ruby's identity crisis began when she started emulating Hermione and aspiring to be a genius Oxford student. She can't be Hermione - that role's taken - so she has to make do with being Ruby Bones. And Ruby, no disrespect intended, lives partly in her imagination. She sets her expectations too high and the reality is often disappointing. I think the 'perfect student' cosplay was working during her A-level years when she had a successful YouTube channel, became head girl and was living comfortably at home. Then the Oxford rejection happened; she went to Exeter and struggled socially and academically. She clearly did well in terms of results, but I think she had to face the fact she wasn't exceptional, that other students were clever and sometimes more talented. I think these experiences threatened the identity Ruby created and now she's floundering because she's not sure which direction to take next. I don't think Ruby's online presence is the root cause of her issues, but it acts as an enabler, reinforcing her pretend identities and affectations. It's definitely not helping. That said, Ruby's been getting increasing amounts of criticism recently and lots of her posts are made in response to these criticisms. I'm sure this negative feedback will be having an effect on her self-image too.

Anyway, that's just 100% speculation. I might be way off the mark. 😅

Reactions: 30
She could easily donate £100 / month to a charity who are equipped to support homeless and struggling people/families.

Reactions: 13
She could easily donate £100 / month to a charity who are equipped to support homeless and struggling people/families.
Yes, but 1) no one would praise her for it, 2) she wouldn't feel special, 3) she wouldn't get to decide who's worthy, 4) some of the people the money went to might not be like her and therefore not worthy, and 5) they might not be grateful enough.

She's a textbook example of "strings attached" charity and her motives are entirely questionable.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I’m defo in the minority here but I just really don’t feel sorry for Ruby tbh.

Reactions: 19
I’m defo in the minority here but I just really don’t feel sorry for Ruby tbh.
Is that because of her privilege or the crappy influencer behaviour? I feel sorry for Ruby sometimes, but usually that ends when she does something thoughtless or greedy (someone tell her she doesn't need to accept every sponsorship going). The feeling of sympathy comes from concern about her mental health, and the fact she seems to have genuine social difficulties and anxiety. Having money or a supportive family doesn't mean someone's immune from mental health problems & that's the area where I feel sympathetic. The other stuff...not so much.

Reactions: 10
I think this is the reason why it is so important when you have wealthy background and children not only to put your children into rich colleges or school in general but make sure they have contact with the standard people.
Of course Ruby thought she is the best, the cleverest, the wisest person. THE Youtuber, THE Writer, THE gifted Child.
The first shock had to be not beeing good enough for Oxford and the second after beeing in College that there are people out there who are much more talented and much more gifted than she is.
Yes, a telling point was when she went to her interview at Oxford and met some other students applying. She tried to contain her surprise that one fellow interviewee was from Poland and one from Liverpool. Because in Ruby's mind: Poland = Foreign. Liverpool = Common.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.