Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

jeisan

I think it's not an i, but another letter. doesn't the Turkish language have that letter?
ahaha yes, its from Turkish. we have two letters looks very similar:
ı,I
i,İ
these two get mixed so easily. In school, we would always mix these two and get scolded by our English teachers...

Reactions: 2

ammie

surely she could have googled what bird it was, the RSPB has all the images online to help you identify birds 😭 honestly fair enough if you lived in London or a city and you don't see anything other than pigeons but she lives in the countryside...sparrows are everywhere

ocalon

I'm a bit late to the discussion but you don't need a tourist visa to travel to the US as a tourist for three weeks. You need a tourist visa only if you are planning to stay for more than 3 months. So they probably asked her at the airport what she was going to do and she said "holiday trip" or " visiting a friend" and that was that.

Deeznutslol

VIP Member
JKR isn’t really “considered a bit of an arse” by many people, even in the UK. And not even tories, it’s just not a topic that’s on most peoples radar. It really depends on the circles you’re in. A lot of Ruby’s audience seems to be international and from countries outside the anglophone world (a lot of people based in Asia??) where JK Rowling’s views on feminism wouldn’t make headlines at all. It’s a culture war that’s irrelevant in a lot of places. That being said, I remember Ruby did put up some uninformed insta story about the Tavistock gender clinic closing in January 2021. I assume she just copied it off someone else to look progressive.
If Ruby was a youtuber with a large trans/queer or otherwise politically liberal audience then she would definitely be criticised for her HP association, but she’s not. Her channel is very apolitical. She barely shares her own views about anything controversial.
Exactly, I don’t really know what people would even want her to say? Her political takes are shite for a start and as you say, JK Rowling really isn’t controversial in most peoples eyes.

theMoth

Chatty Member
and there's a band called Ruby Bones so I can see why she wouldn't use her full name. Of course, she doesn't need to use her surname at all.

opal73

VIP Member
So on her latest TikTok somebody asked her "How long are you in Boston Ruby" and Ruby replied back with "I was there for a week". Another person also asked her "Are you just on holiday"? and Ruby replied back with "Yes! I’m doing some literary tourism, but also spending a week working with a museum". Firstly I thought she was meant to be in Boston for 3 weeks as she mentioned this herself previously so why is she suddenly mentioning that she was there for a week, secondly it sounds like she has now left Boston and is possibly on her way home or is back home now, thirdly it doesn't make sense that she would say that she was there for a week but now she is saying that she is spending a week working with a museum when she and the museum only posted about it yesterday. So basically she has contradicted herself in the latest TikTok because she says that she is working in the museum but was only in Boston for a week, something isn't adding up about this trip because why would she say that she was going to Boston for 3 weeks but now it turns out that she was only there for a week, I wonder if it is because she is going to other parts of America but she has never said that if I remember rightly as I'm sure that she only booked a plane ticket to Boston.
Since she already has a lot of american followers she could easily arrange a meet up or collab with isabella athena or something whilst she's ther. But I doubt she will

theMoth

Chatty Member
Exactly. I read a few pages of Rachel Cusk's Second Place this morning on the toilet with a cigarette. Where's my Pride of Britain award? I guess that's not aesthetic enough BookTube. I'm sorry I couldn't read it in-between classes at Hogwarts School of Lemony Children.
you deserve a medal!! 🏅here it is! I always watch Youtube on the toilet:ROFLMAO:

• Haha

theMoth

Chatty Member
Ennui is also a funeral-doom band from Georgia (the country in eastern Europe). Found the band name when I was looking for the word "ennui". But funeral-doom ... I don't know. It fits Ruby (not the music, but the name of the genre).

• Haha

SugahSweet

does ruby now what a courgette is? i mean. she can't even pronounce one word right. maybe she mean with courgette cherry?

vwxyz

She's probably using this 'work' / 'internship' at the museum to put something on her CV that is related to her degree in order to give herself better chances when she applies for an MA.
I can totally see she went there as a tourist but works/volunteers/interns on that visa. Given that she hasn't travelled much, I'm not surprised if she's idiotically ignorant that it's not allowed.
It's impossible to be so ignorant when you have protective parents and American followers or online friends. I think some people told her about the risks, but she decided to ignore them because that's easier and she is used to getting away with stuff anyway.

Whisper2Me

I was thinking today, how is Ruby going to handle being crammed in her little bedroom, all by herself, seeing the same view as she always did, after her trip to the US, and all the other trips she took over the summer? For most people, they grow up, grow more tolerant, learn more about religions, arts, culture as a whole, come out of these kind of experiences more mature, well-rounded, maybe even learn a new language and brush up their skills. How was this all going to change her? In no way at all. Sees Introvert video....let's play dress up and be a character! omg Ruby. You are such a delusional woman, you are so screwed up! Get a grip on things!

Juniper-S

I was about to write that she could actually benefit from that if only the university was far away from home so that she could only see her family every couple of months.
And don't forget that since she's so attached to her parents, she probably wouldn't mind to ask them to get her home from uni, even if this implied driving a lot of miles. I'd bet she'd be ready to ask them to fly to get her back in her childhood bedroom.

gossip_guy

VIP Member
I'm a bit late to the discussion but you don't need a tourist visa to travel to the US as a tourist for three weeks. You need a tourist visa only if you are planning to stay for more than 3 months. So they probably asked her at the airport what she was going to do and she said "holiday trip" or " visiting a friend" and that was that.
She said in a couple of her videos before her trip that she'd applied for a visa and it had been approved, but didn't specify what kind of visa.

Of course, 90% of what she says is lies, so who knows.

hart301

Other than attending Amherst College as a student or visiting the Emily Dickinson Museum, there isn't much to do around there, which is why I am surprised she is hanging around the area for so long. I toured it when I was a young teenager and haven't bothered to go back since. Seen it once was more than enough. There really isn't anything outrageously impressive about it and its more remote location just keeps tourists at bay, especially this time of year. The foliage peeping season is well over and her gardens will be mainly dead flowers since we have already had a frost. Ruby's timing was really off. She should have toured Boston back in June when the weather was still nice and everything was out in full bloom, days were longer, more things to do. But no....she took the bizarre route, as always.
To be fair Boston literally had the worst summer ever this year & most tourists come in the fall anyways.

Even though Ruby puts on this "student" persona when she's not, I feel like she could have gotten something out of UMass Amherst / Mount Holyoke, but she doesn't seem like the person to even be interested in anything remotely American unless it fits into her pre-determined mental moldy trunk of misery.

VallegGirl

Lol. Imagine if she is there to tour the campus? But I don't see how she would get into a Harvard graduate program without any published academic work or extracurriculars relating to her program of choice. Ivy Leagues want students who go above and beyond. I knew a few people in my undergrad who got into ivies who spent most of their undergrad doing an honors thesis in a research position and then getting their work published in academic journals. They also had internships and worked with their communities and formed professional connections. It's not just about your grades.
Does anyone know if any of Ruby's work was published?
Maybe another undergrad prog? I think she'd be happy doing that. I think she'd find some reason why it is important she studies at that level & not at post-grad level, i.e "It's to give me the chance to experience life in America as well as study" At the same time viewing and applying does not mean acceptance. Oxford *cough cough*

StatusWoe

VIP Member
Why would the BBC choose to sponsor Ruby? I thought there were strict rules on their advertising. The idea that they are doling out licence fee money to lazy YouTubers - especially for such a lame ass video - is rather annoying to me. There must be many genuine young creatives who need money to develop their talent or who would benefit from an organisation like the BBC sponsoring coaching or development opportunities as a better use of taxpayer money. I wouldn't even mind if they offered her some training in how to edit or develop content rather than just pay her to put out this kind of cr*p.
Yes. And it was even worse when she was sponsored by the NHS during the Covid pandemic.

I might have misheard her (this is the first video of hers I watch in months and I'm not used to Ruby's weird inflection anymore, I had to go back and re-listen to certain sentences because with the sped up footage, the abrupt editing and the fake accent, I genuinely could not understand what she was saying) but didn't she say that the character she came up with is "A Master's student who's lost her cat"?
It's not just you. I've been watching her other recent videos and this one is a lot harder to follow. Her speech is so fast it's unintelligible at times. I had to rewind three times to understand she'd been watching 'Cunk on Earth'. I spent far too long figuring out what 'Kunkonurth' meant.