Ruby Granger #33 Goes on a boat, dresses like Captain Birdseye

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
*Question: Do we know whether Ruby ever actually read the Harry Potter books? Judging from her infatuation with Emma Watson's specific portrayal of Hermione, I almost get the feeling that her whole knowledge of HP comes from the movies.
She has mentioned reading them several times and I also believe her because of her massive obsession with Hermione. Reading the books was worth it because it gave her so much stuff to use and feed her own fantasy world.

Reactions: 3
hope this isn't too off topic, but the surname thing reminds me of smth that keeps nagging at me lol. is she really sticking with the Hermione Granger thing, what with all the bs coming out of JKR, and her being generally considered a bit of an arse. I just would have thought from someone allegedly 'not a tory' who has a fairly young audience, she'd try and distance herself from that? I feel like a while ago she mentioned JKR in a video and I'm just like... really?

In fairness, it's not a Ruby specific thing, a lot of creators still lean on the Potter thing for content, I just find it odd that someone who's all about positivity and being unproblematic would... not do it.
JKR isn’t really “considered a bit of an arse” by many people, even in the UK. And not even tories, it’s just not a topic that’s on most peoples radar. It really depends on the circles you’re in. A lot of Ruby’s audience seems to be international and from countries outside the anglophone world (a lot of people based in Asia??) where JK Rowling’s views on feminism wouldn’t make headlines at all. It’s a culture war that’s irrelevant in a lot of places. That being said, I remember Ruby did put up some uninformed insta story about the Tavistock gender clinic closing in January 2021. I assume she just copied it off someone else to look progressive.
If Ruby was a youtuber with a large trans/queer or otherwise politically liberal audience then she would definitely be criticised for her HP association, but she’s not. Her channel is very apolitical. She barely shares her own views about anything controversial.

Reactions: 7
Pretending to be someone else at 22. What?? I think that's both strange & concerning. Don't come for me but I can't help but feel something is v wrong in Ruby's world. She seems to have become more & more introverted and presenting with atypical behavious since leaving Uni. In fact thinking back I think, that whilst she's always had a propensity for this, this has increased since lockdown. It feels even when she could have returned to uni she chose to stay home (or am I misremembering?) I wonder if it's more than being introverted? I wonder if it's a real social anxiety when it comes to interaction? I find her YT persona irritating but I feel there's something not right and as much as I think she's annoying I'm concerned. I wonder to what degree ma & pa Bones are. Those little notes her mother left around suggest to me her mum, at least, is concerned. What do others think?

Reactions: 5
I'm surprised she is in NYC. Her 3 week vacation is already up. I wonder if she decided to prolong it and have Mommy and Daddy Bones wire over some extra bucks? Originally she said she was only going to Massachusetts and verified it when one of her minions mentioned a nice place to visit in New Hampshire and she sadly declined saying she only had time for the things she planned in MA. Another underhanded move by our not-so-honest Grubby Stranger.

New thread name: Grubby Stranger; pretending to be anyone but myself

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Her latest video - have I literally paid some of my TV licence money to Ruby? Sponsored by BBC iPlayer? :(

• Haha
Pretending to be someone else at 22. What?? I think that's both strange & concerning. Don't come for me but I can't help but feel something is v wrong in Ruby's world.
Just sounds like she doesn't want to grow up & be a real adult, with real responsibilities and a real job that isn't based online, like working in an office etc, so instead she's making up a fantasy world with made up characters

That introvert to do list was so pointless. Like most of those things are activities introverts like myself do already but the notion and LARPING one...Ruby I have D&D style videogames I don't need to be embarrassing myself in public.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Why would the BBC choose to sponsor Ruby? I thought there were strict rules on their advertising. The idea that they are doling out licence fee money to lazy YouTubers - especially for such a lame ass video - is rather annoying to me. There must be many genuine young creatives who need money to develop their talent or who would benefit from an organisation like the BBC sponsoring coaching or development opportunities as a better use of taxpayer money. I wouldn't even mind if they offered her some training in how to edit or develop content rather than just pay her to put out this kind of cr*p.
Well they worked a few times with Grace Francesca so it doesn’t surprise me anymore

Reactions: 1
The question is, why does she have to pretend to be a Master's student when she could actually be a Master's student? There is no reason for her not to go back to school...except for the fact that she probably didn't enjoy university. But I'm sure there's some situation where she could take relatively easy courses and get back into the student persona that she misses so much without actually having to work that hard. I think that would do her more good than anything. I can't see her ever holding a real job. It's academia forever or a lifetime of this aimless floundering and trips with her parents.

• Sad
Reactions: 20
The question is, why does she have to pretend to be a Master's student when she could actually be a Master's student? There is no reason for her not to go back to school...except for the fact that she probably didn't enjoy university. But I'm sure there's some situation where she could take relatively easy courses and get back into the student persona that she misses so much without actually having to work that hard. I think that would do her more good than anything. I can't see her ever holding a real job. It's academia forever or a lifetime of this aimless floundering and trips with her parents.
Exactly because she probably just wants the aesthetic of being a Master's student without putting in any of the work! Especially because she would want to be at Oxford so that she can use it as a personal vendetta against the tutors that didn't offer her a place for a BA. And at Oxford, she can't just play pretend because if she did that she would do really badly and either intermit and not come back or her mental health would suffer a lot

Reactions: 12
JKR isn’t really “considered a bit of an arse” by many people, even in the UK. And not even tories, it’s just not a topic that’s on most peoples radar. It really depends on the circles you’re in. A lot of Ruby’s audience seems to be international and from countries outside the anglophone world (a lot of people based in Asia??) where JK Rowling’s views on feminism wouldn’t make headlines at all. It’s a culture war that’s irrelevant in a lot of places. That being said, I remember Ruby did put up some uninformed insta story about the Tavistock gender clinic closing in January 2021. I assume she just copied it off someone else to look progressive.
If Ruby was a youtuber with a large trans/queer or otherwise politically liberal audience then she would definitely be criticised for her HP association, but she’s not. Her channel is very apolitical. She barely shares her own views about anything controversial.
Exactly, I don’t really know what people would even want her to say? Her political takes are shite for a start and as you say, JK Rowling really isn’t controversial in most peoples eyes.

Reactions: 2
I guess with JKR, it depends on how much Roobee still identifies with Hermione or Emma Watson (especially now she’s into a quite unusual cosplay). Emma has been very critical of JKR comments. But I doubt Roobee has much (any) knowledge of the world outside her ever decreasing bubble. I still think the main problem is that she has lost her school day identity of being “gifted” (I still struggle to comprehend this), and pretended to be so many different things that she now has absolutely no idea who she is, what she believes in or how to “do” life.

Reactions: 5
Why is BBC iplayer sponsoring Ruby? Are they that desperate to get people to use the player? :LOL:

Reactions: 2
Yeah it's actually very sad that her fantasy is something that she could be doing right now if she bothered, instead she's wasting her time. And it's a bit worrying that as a writer she can't come up with anything more imaginative.

Reactions: 3
Why is BBC iplayer sponsoring Ruby? Are they that desperate to get people to use the player? :LOL:
What's funny is "BBC iplayer" sounds like an outdated video player from the 2000s that you would watch on Windows XP🙃 It doesn't sound appealing at all.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
What's funny is "BBC iplayer" sounds like an outdated video player from the 2000s that you would watch on Windows XP🙃 It doesn't sound appealing at all.
It’s not even, it’s literally just the bbc website where you can catch up on tv you’ve missed. It’s absolutely beyond me why they want her to advertise the service though because it’d just like… it’s just some free service they put on there, you don’t even need a tv license to use it 😂

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.