Ruby Granger #33 Goes on a boat, dresses like Captain Birdseye

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Admittedly feeling a bit worried about my hobby of going to graveyards and looking at the stones and researching them as a little local history project especially the older stones and things such as the carvings, hoping that I'm not considered weird or bothering the dead like ruby 😅
Oh no, you're exempt from this criticism! 😂😘

The joke is at Ruby's expense because I think her interest is fake (as usual). Ruby claims to research everything - all of these niche topics - but she'll usually mention them once and only once. In all her years of vlogging she's never talked about this hobby or expressed an interest in local history, so I don't buy that this is something she does regularly. Ruby's general knowledge sucks, which isn't what you'd expect from someone who's constantly learning new things. I can't stand this fake studious persona. The latest video is the product of someone who has too much time on their hands and chooses to spend it in the most boring way possible.

Reactions: 16
God, how do her videos keep getting worse? I think her only true talent is somehow finding a lower standard of quality every time. It's really quite impressive.

She hits every Lazy Ruby cliché.

Untitled696764564076756986758796790867686785757590-9-675879=0-59.png

She's given up on capital letters entirely for her video title, since they were too hard for her to figure out.

Untitled69676456459.jpg

She couldn't be bothered with making anything resembling an effort with editing and post-production, so she just scribbled a title card on some upper-middle-class country life magazine. To offend the eye even more, she's included her candle holder full of disgusting, ashy wax globules and random paperclips buried in it.

She couldn't even make it one full sentence without jarring edits and sped-up gibberish. "HALLO IT'S RYOOBE--[EDIT]--ANDTYODAYOIY'MGYOWINGTYO BLAHBLAHBLAH..."

It's an ad, because they all are. It's an ad for something doesn't use or like, because they all are.

She claims she's been using sponsor service BBC iPlayer to watch Cunk on Earth (or "CONKON ARRTH", as Ruby calls it).

Untitled696764564079879=0-59.jpg

"Oiy dyon't tand tyo loike that many comedy films? Boht this is HILARIOUS."

Spoilers: It's not a film.

It's a great series, but it's also a satirical mockumentary show that makes fun of the same self-serious, misinformed intellectual tit that Ruby spends most of her time doing in videos. She's not so much the target audience as the target of the joke. The character was created to poke fun at dim-witted middle-class faux-intellectuals. Though she avoids pointing it out, even Ruby's middle name is Philomena.

She doesn't seem to have anything resembling a sense of humour, so I don't believe for a second she sat through a full episode, let alone enjoyed it. But yet again, Ruby can't get through a sponsor segment without lying her ass off or embarrassing herself beyond belief. This is a new show to iPlayer, so guaranteed it was one that the sponsor rep told Ruby to plug, but they'll probably regret wasting their money after watching this lazy fuckery.

"This video is VARRY KOINDLY SPONSORED BOIY BBC OiyPlayah," she says, miserably. And then she includes a shot of her just glaring at the camera with utter disdain, either for the sponsor, or for the HORRIBOL BULLIES forcing Ruby to declare her ads and sponsorships:

Untitled696769.jpg

She got paid to do this, and she still can't muster the energy to pretend to be enthusiastic about the product she's shilling when introducing the sponsor, or give a tit about the quality of her work.

Speaking of ads, Ruby makes sure to shove in undeclared ads alongside the main sponsor. BARD 'N' BLAND products are snuck into shots, of course.

Untitled6967645640767569879=0-59.jpg

"Oiy'm a BIG NYOTION FAN and oiy use Nyotion A LOT," Ruby says snippily, yet again neglecting to mention her professional ties to the brand. As she usually does with her list videos, she devotes a whole entry on the list to Notion without mentioning that they've sponsored her multiple times before and paid her to advertise their service in videos.

She recycles footage of Notion from old videos, because recording new footage might've taken a sliver of effort. The reused footage is from when she was at university, and features her weird, stalkery entries like 'things to discuss with Blakeney'. "Oiy loiyke to foind green spaces on campus," she says, despite having graduated a long time ago. It's beyond embarrassing.

And on the subject of rehashing bits of old videos, there's recycled footage everywhere. Half the footage is from 2-3 years ago. She includes a whole section of a video of her reading poetry from 7 years ago.

Untitled6967645640767569868675675879=0-59.jpg

She reuses the above shot twice. This video is 80% recycled footage, at least. What a lazy cretin.

Untitled6967645640=0-59.jpg

It's a mere 20 seconds in before Ruby whips out more overused B-roll footage of Blakeney. Blakeney's face says it all.

Ruby won't stop mentioning Blakeney in this video, either, despite her only appearing in years-old footage. At least half a dozen times she namedrops Blakeney - a uni friend who appears to have moved on with her life as soon as she graduated and left her nightmarish time with Ruby in the rear-view. This is a video about lazily reusing a bunch of footage Ruby had lying around to cobble together a last-minute crappy video with a barely-thought-out topic for some quick, undeserved ad cash being an introvert, yet Ruby spends half of it talking about things she'd do with Blakeney.

She mispronounces half the dictionary again. "Guess" becomes "GAS". "Recharge" becomes "Ree-trarrged" somehow.

The fake freckles are on show again.

She keeps showing off her unmade bed, with exposed mattress and bedding that's gone unchanged for months on end.

She keeps slapping that camcorder 'recording' overlay on footage.

She lies her ass off again. "Oiy love to carl opp with a blanket, a bohk, a mog of tea, maybe sommthing to eat and josst sit thaar for a copple of hours and read. It's fonny because oiy often feel guilty for dyoing sommthing loike this, sommthing boiy moiysalf."

No, you don't, Ruby! You brag about reading by yourself at every opportunity, even when it never happened (which, let's face it, is almost every occasion). You make whole videos in which you pretend to read many books in a single day just to have something to boast about - videos that are stitched together from many days' worth of footage because you didn't read a single book in one day, let alone several. In what universe do you feel guilty for reading?

She starts lecturing about how "we" do something that only happens in Ruby's imagination yet again.

Untitled696764564076756986756768675675879=0-59.jpg

"Oiy feel loike society - we think of syocial activities as being a koind of ACKSAPTABULL fworm of lashzhah activity whaahr it dossn't matter if yore being prodocktive? Whaahrass as syoon as yore spanding toiyme boiy yoresalf it tarns intyo you being "lyazy"--"misshoozing yore toiyme". Oiy think that's quoyte an intrassting distinctshon. Hosstle colchah koind of convinces oss that it'syokay to spand toiyme doing SYOSHAL things for lashzhah BOHT NOT YOHKYAY tyo dyo things boiy yoresalf."

This isn't a thing. At all.

Firstly, leisure activities are not supposed to be productive. Whether by yourself or with others, leisure is for relaxing.

Hustle culture and the culture of toxic productivity that she and studytubers like her have heavily propagated have done the exact opposite of what she's complaining about. They encourage forgoing social time and leisure activities in favour of spending extended periods of time by yourself, working yourself to the bone, not seeing your friends because that'll distract from the grind of hammering away at studying or writing essays that nobody assigned. Even here, she's still hammering home the idea that your downtime needs to be productive somehow.

It's indescribable nonsense even for Ruby. She spends 99% of her time by herself (with mummy nearby) and claims to be the most productive person who ever lived, so I'm not sure what her argument is. She's just making tit up and pointing at problems she caused so she can complain about it and be seen as enlightened and conscientious.

Untitled6967645640767569867589086768675675879=0-59.png

And, sure enough, her fans rush to commend her for this imaginary, false-flag bullshit.

The whole list is hilariously stupid.

1. Read a book.

Ruby doesn't do this, and I'm not sure what introvert with even a passing interest in reading won't be aware that they can read books in their spare time.

2. Create a character and then go out in public pretending to be that fictional person.

Are you an introvert who's much more comfortable and secure in your own company than with others? Then why not pretend to be someone else entirely?!

This isn't an introvert activity, this is insanity (or con artistry). Ruby spends her entire life pretending to be someone else and lying her ass off, so it's not too surprising that she recommends this.

However, it's hilarious that she pretends she has a boundless imagination and is capable of creating all sorts of wonderful, diverse people to pretend to be in her coffee shop method acting daydreams, yet she's incapable of coming up with a character in her writing that isn't either Hermione Granger, aged 11 or a cardboard cut-out stock character she stole from a middle-grade bullying book.

3. Have a movie night by yourself.

Another one that Ruby doesn't do, which is only on the list to shoehorn in the sponsor. And what introvert isn't aware that they could watch movies or TV shows in their spare time?

4. "Bake a poiy, boht dackorate it VARRY NOICELY (with cyookie cottahs)."

Of course, Ruby made half the video an ode to her eating disorder. She also says she baked the pie shown for her dad (because it's recycled footage from an old video), so not exactly an introvert activity.

5. Create a random entry on Notion.

This is not an introvert activity. This is bottom-of-the-barrel, 'I'm chained to my desk and can't leave, and the only program my PC will let me open is Notion' tit. The only reason this is on there is so that Ruby could shove in an undeclared ad.

6. "Make a noice meal fore yoresalf."

Another opportunity for Ruby to try to reverse the damage she's done with her toxic, triggering 'Tyo be prodocktive, johst eat water and navver eat' bullshit, but of course she just does the same tit all over again.

Untitled696764564076756986758908676867590-9-675879=0-59.png

"Making a nice meal" in Ruby's world apparently means "chop an onion, then take the smallest possible bite of a tiny sliver of cake".

Two food entries on this list. Making and eating food is not an introvert activity. It's a 'staying alive' activity.

7. "Make somm bohkmarks."

And Ruby says this is especially fun with friends! Is this video not titled "things to do by yourself as an introvert"? Why is most of it things that Ruby says is best enjoyed with friends, even though she has none? For the love of god, Ruby, get off YouTube and see a therapist, you vapor-brained dumbass. This is just 9 minutes of Ruby doing a terrible job of trying to prove that she's happy by herself now that Blakeney never talks to her.

8. "Make Pintrasst bwoards."

Why not waste your days creating vision boards of what your life could be like if you were 12 again, like Ruby won't stop doing instead of going to therapy?

Untitled6967645640767569867587967908676867590-9-675879=0-59.jpg

9. Go to a museum or gallery by yourself.

And then Ruby exclusively shows footage of herself going to museums and libraries with mummy, because this is something she never wants to do alone, or at all.

10. Go "street rambling".

This entry should have been "Go for a walk", but Ruby had to get the old 'Ruby finds any old excuse to cram an awkward literary quote in' cliché in here. Here she uses it as a flimsy justification for shoving old footage of herself butchering Virginia Woolf's 'Street Haunting'.

11. "Gyo tyo the loiybree and johst think of a rahndom nomba between 1 and 1000 and foind that nomba in the Jooey-DASSIMOL system and johst take down one of the bohks and johst read SOMMTHING from it and see what you can lahrrn."

Is your TBR too full of things you actually want to read? Well, why not go to the library and grab books at random, so that you can waste time reading a paragraph from the middle of a biography of the person who invented the catalytic converter, or a random chapter from a book about aquarium maintenance?

12. "Gyo to a graveyard and lyook at the gravestone and think about the parson behoind the gravestone."

This is very fun with friends, Ruby claims, and she used to dyo this AWWL the TOIYME with BLYAKEKNEEE. HONNASTLY! Another entry, another one that Ruby says she only does with "frands", and the only footage shown is recycled footage of the Scotland trip with mummy.

What even is this nonsense video? Who is this for? Most introverts know exactly how they enjoy spending their free time alone, they don't need a list of ideas, much less ideas this obvious, stupid or utterly insane. This is her laziest, most profoundly dumb video in quite some time, and that's saying something. She needs to stop.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
11. "Gyo tyo the loiybree and johst think of a rahndom nomba between 1 and 1000 and foind that nomba in the Jooey-DASSIMOL system and johst take down one of the bohks and johst read SOMMTHING from it and see what you can lahrrn."

Ruby, tell me you don't know anything about the Dewey Decimal System without telling me you don't know anything. For starters, it doesn't start with 1. The whole system exists so that books can be catalogued in a uniform and consistent way across all libraries. There is nothing random about it. She is so dumb.

Reactions: 17
However, it's hilarious that she pretends she has a boundless imagination and is capable of creating all sorts of wonderful, diverse people to pretend to be in her coffee shop method acting daydreams, yet she's incapable of coming up with a character in her writing that isn't either Hermione Granger, aged 11 or a cardboard cut-out stock character she stole from a middle-grade bullying book.
I might have misheard her (this is the first video of hers I watch in months and I'm not used to Ruby's weird inflection anymore, I had to go back and re-listen to certain sentences because with the sped up footage, the abrupt editing and the fake accent, I genuinely could not understand what she was saying) but didn't she say that the character she came up with is "A Master's student who's lost her cat"?
I find it hilarious to imagine that with this creativity exercise the best she could do was a slightly different version of herself, a former Bachelor's student who's lost her Blakeney

• Haha
Reactions: 13
2. Create a character and then go out in public pretending to be that fictional person.

Are you an introvert who's much more comfortable and secure in your own company than with others? Then why not pretend to be someone else entirely?!

This isn't an introvert activity, this is insanity (or con artistry).
It has an even more specific name, it's maladaptive daydreaming. Not surprised she has never researched it before, but I hope someone will point it out in the comments. Those affected by it will live in imaginary worlds as a coping strategy, either by just imagining it or also by playing it. The less distraction they have from real life, the worse it gets. It is mostly perceived as something pleasant, though.

Reactions: 13

Ruby, tell me you don't know anything about the Dewey Decimal System without telling me you don't know anything. For starters, it doesn't start with 1. The whole system exists so that books can be catalogued in a uniform and consistent way across all libraries. There is nothing random about it. She is so dumb.
I seem to remember her struggling to find books in the library because she didn't have any idea how the Dewey Decimal System worked. What was even funnier was that she revealed she was having this trouble at the end of her final year, showing that she either never bothered using the library before that or was too stupid to learn how it works in 4 years of being at uni and had to just wander aimlessly until she found things.

Reactions: 11
Imagine making poetry, philosophy, kindness, and the beauty of nature your persona and then use it to sell tea and subscription TV.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
And she just happened to go straight to the number of the Dickens section 😐

Reactions: 8
Why would the BBC choose to sponsor Ruby? I thought there were strict rules on their advertising. The idea that they are doling out licence fee money to lazy YouTubers - especially for such a lame ass video - is rather annoying to me. There must be many genuine young creatives who need money to develop their talent or who would benefit from an organisation like the BBC sponsoring coaching or development opportunities as a better use of taxpayer money. I wouldn't even mind if they offered her some training in how to edit or develop content rather than just pay her to put out this kind of cr*p.

Reactions: 21
Why would the BBC choose to sponsor Ruby? I thought there were strict rules on their advertising. The idea that they are doling out licence fee money to lazy YouTubers - especially for such a lame ass video - is rather annoying to me. There must be many genuine young creatives who need money to develop their talent or who would benefit from an organisation like the BBC sponsoring coaching or development opportunities as a better use of taxpayer money. I wouldn't even mind if they offered her some training in how to edit or develop content rather than just pay her to put out this kind of cr*p.
Yes. And it was even worse when she was sponsored by the NHS during the Covid pandemic.

I might have misheard her (this is the first video of hers I watch in months and I'm not used to Ruby's weird inflection anymore, I had to go back and re-listen to certain sentences because with the sped up footage, the abrupt editing and the fake accent, I genuinely could not understand what she was saying) but didn't she say that the character she came up with is "A Master's student who's lost her cat"?
It's not just you. I've been watching her other recent videos and this one is a lot harder to follow. Her speech is so fast it's unintelligible at times. I had to rewind three times to understand she'd been watching 'Cunk on Earth'. I spent far too long figuring out what 'Kunkonurth' meant.

Reactions: 2
Cunk on Earth is such a weird choice for her considering all the documentaries/films/BBC4 shows/shows like University Challenge on there that would be more believable for Ruby to enjoy. Her laugh was so fake when describing the show and it was that very middle-class sense of humour where they love shows like Mr Bean because they like laughing at "stupid people" and feeling superior (not that Cunk is on the same level as Mr Bean, just that Ruby would take it at surface level).

Reactions: 8
Just remembered her surname is Bones. This makes the graveyard thing even better.
hope this isn't too off topic, but the surname thing reminds me of smth that keeps nagging at me lol. is she really sticking with the Hermione Granger thing, what with all the bs coming out of JKR, and her being generally considered a bit of an arse. I just would have thought from someone allegedly 'not a tory' who has a fairly young audience, she'd try and distance herself from that? I feel like a while ago she mentioned JKR in a video and I'm just like... really?

In fairness, it's not a Ruby specific thing, a lot of creators still lean on the Potter thing for content, I just find it odd that someone who's all about positivity and being unproblematic would... not do it.

• Sick
Reactions: 6
Personally there is nothing wrong with having ties to J K Rowling. People are allowed to be attached to the potter world if they want to. It's called choice. I really wish people would just accept that not everyone has to hate J K Rowling because people say so. J K Rowling is entitled to her beliefs. Just as I am to mine.

However being 22 year old..still calling yourself Granger is questionable but then again she built her brand around it. That's who she is now to everyone. She cannot suddenly change to Bones.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
hope this isn't too off topic, but the surname thing reminds me of smth that keeps nagging at me lol. is she really sticking with the Hermione Granger thing, what with all the bs coming out of JKR, and her being generally considered a bit of an arse. I just would have thought from someone allegedly 'not a tory' who has a fairly young audience, she'd try and distance herself from that? I feel like a while ago she mentioned JKR in a video and I'm just like... really?

In fairness, it's not a Ruby specific thing, a lot of creators still lean on the Potter thing for content, I just find it odd that someone who's all about positivity and being unproblematic would... not do it.
It is far more likely that she decided (or was advised) to just ignore the whole issue entirely. If she goes one way or the other she could split her audience.

Reactions: 4
and there's a band called Ruby Bones so I can see why she wouldn't use her full name. Of course, she doesn't need to use her surname at all.

Reactions: 2

I do wonder if she's been keeping up with the new things that have been put out in the Harry Potter franchise since the last movie, like the Cursed Child and the Fantastic Beasts movies. Because frankly they have all been embarrassingly bad, and they have seriously made me reconsider not only JKR's attitude towards her own works, but the original series as well lol and I don't think she's ever talked about any of those things? Which for someone who goes by the name Ruby Granger is a bit bizarre

Reactions: 3
She’s in NYC (this is from her stories yesterday), but who’s taking the photos? Does anyone except Mummy Granger deserve this very genuine-looking smile?

0683FCE3-16F4-493A-A42B-1F27940E8EB4.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I do wonder if she's been keeping up with the new things that have been put out in the Harry Potter franchise since the last movie, like the Cursed Child and the Fantastic Beasts movies.
I very much doubt it. I'm sure she's the sort of fan who's only interested in the seven core novels* and not in the Wizarding World as a whole universe. There's no Hermione in these franchise spinoffs, and some of them don't even take place at school, so I imagine there's little to hold her interest.

*Question: Do we know whether Ruby ever actually read the Harry Potter books? Judging from her infatuation with Emma Watson's specific portrayal of Hermione, I almost get the feeling that her whole knowledge of HP comes from the movies.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.