Ruby Granger #30 A warm milky mug of applestoodle tea

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She will be able to live like this forever, easily. She has rental income from her cottage, she doesn’t pay rent or pay bills to her parents, and she earns money from YouTube. She literally has zero expenses, no food shop, no car. All her holidays are family holidays paid for by her parents (who own at least two properties).
Tbh, I would imagine Ruby’s actually saving a lot of money, even if she’s not making millions. She was able to afford a mortgage at 18 with her parents as a guarantor! She’s in a very lucky position.
The reason why so many authors, actors etc come from affluent backgrounds is because they’re given the luxury of having no expenses and not having to work in their 20s so they have time to chase the dream. These types of people will always land on their feet because they have that familial support.

If she continues getting sponsorships and producing content she can continue living as she does now for as long as she wants to. As long as her parents are willing to have her in the house, that is. And it doesn’t seem like they’re too bothered about her being there.
Where is her cottage? Did she feature it or mention it in a video? I haven't been following her for long so obviously missed it.

Where is her cottage? Did she feature it or mention it in a video? I haven't been following her for long so obviously missed it.
It’s about 4-5 km from her parents’ house, she posted a video when she bought it (but obviously didn’t say where it is lol) that she then took down due to backlash. This was in the spring of 2018 or 2019 I believe. There’s a link to the video (hosted on another site) in the wiki.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I just watched the video. She says she's planning to rent it out for another year after uni and then move in, so I guess we'll see what happens next year?

How could she afford it? Is she making that much just from Youtube and sponsorships? She's adamant that her parents didn't help her, do we believe that? Maybe she gets a massive allowance of some sort and she considers that her heard earned money.

The cottage looks really cute, it suits her, I think she could thrive there. She seems so excited and positive in the video, what happened during the next few years that made her regress so much? Was it only the pandemic or did something else happen?

Did she ever post the vlog of herself staying the night at the cottage? Did she do all the work experience stuff she had lined up at that time?

Reactions: 8
I just watched the video. She says she's planning to rent it out for another year after uni and then move in, so I guess we'll see what happens next year?

How could she afford it? Is she making that much just from Youtube and sponsorships? She's adamant that her parents didn't help her, do we believe that? Maybe she gets a massive allowance of some sort and she considers that her heard earned money.

The cottage looks really cute, it suits her, I think she could thrive there. She seems so excited and positive in the video, what happened during the next few years that made her regress so much? Was it only the pandemic or did something else happen?

Did she ever post the vlog of herself staying the night at the cottage? Did she do all the work experience stuff she had lined up at that time?
could be wrong but I have a vague memory of her staying the night once, I think her parents will deal with the day to day runnings of it tbh I can't see Ruby dealing with the tenants.
She'll be making a pretty penny of youtube, her views have stagnated but she's still one of the bigger creators in the studytube sphere so her management will set high prices for her. She could probably earn more if she looked more into booktube but her book videos are boring and she only recommends the same couple of books.
I think her moving out would even make or break her tbh I can see it going either way

Reactions: 9

You can read Ruby’s accounts from 2018-2021 on companies house. Her company is called Willowtree Media. She appears to make a decent salary! (You have to take into account she has barely any overheads or living expenses)
I do believe she probably had the deposit to buy the cottage, and enough income to pay the mortgage, but due to her age and lack of stable employment her parents would have had to act as a guarantor for her, which is a massive privilege.

Reactions: 11
I don't know the whereabouts of the cottage so maybe it's not too isolated, but I can't imagine it being close to many places of work. This matters bc if Ruby moves into the cottage she'd need to continue her YouTube career or work from home. I think both of those options would be bad for her. I also can't picture it being an area with many young people. Pretty sure this is a big reason why Martha's moved away. So yeah, she'd be partially independent in the cottage, but it might lead to even more isolation.

Reactions: 10
I don't know the whereabouts of the cottage so maybe it's not too isolated, but I can't imagine it being close to many places of work. This matters bc if Ruby moves into the cottage she'd need to continue her YouTube career or work from home. I think both of those options would be bad for her. I also can't picture it being an area with many young people. Pretty sure this is a big reason why Martha's moved away. So yeah, she'd be partially independent in the cottage, but it might lead to even more isolation.
I imagine it's also very hard to live independently in a place like that if you don't have a driver's license and a car. I know bc my parents live in a place like that and I don't drive. So when I'm at their house I constantly have to rely on them, my boyfriend or the shaky local bus system to get around, or I have to walk. I hate it and I'm glad I don't live here full time lol

Reactions: 12
I imagine it's also very hard to live independently in a place like that if you don't have a driver's license and a car. I know bc my parents live in a place like that and I don't drive. So when I'm at their house I constantly have to rely on them, my boyfriend or the shaky local bus system to get around, or I have to walk. I hate it and I'm glad I don't live here full time lol
Yeah that's a good point. There's nothing stopping Ruby from taking driving lessons during her gap year. It would be the perfect time to learn.

In other news, some lucky person is getting a free planner. I think it's funny that she's sending one to a student who's literally about to finish their time at school.

1660752503783.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I've decided that perhaps criticising Ruby for her endless stupidity, greed and lies isn't the kindest approach, and so I've chosen to try to be a bit more understanding of her strange customs. To that end, today I got dressed in the dustiest, most wrinkled and mismatched outfit I could find that wasn't weather-appropriate and zipped out to buy a book based on Ruby's latest TikTok recommendation.

The first hurdle was finding a book shop. I could find plenty of independent book shops, but since I'd committed to being more like Ruby in an effort to walk a mile in her shoes, this simply would not do. There were no Waterstones around, and naturally I couldn't be seen anywhere else, so I had to travel 25 miles to the nearest retail outlet owned by James Daunt.

With the first hurdle overcome, it was time to get my hands on the book. Today's TikTok recommendation is "We Were Wolves". They didn't have that, but Ruby mentions that it reminded her of "Amunsta Quorls". They didn't have that, either, and the tired and beleaguered shopkeep was adamant that such a book has never existed. After 45 minutes of trying to convince him that he must be wrong, because Ruby said it clearly in her video (which I showed him several times), the lone retail employee sighed loudly, took off his name badge, tossed it on the counter, stormed out the door and never came back. I assume he went on a 2.5 hour (and counting) lunch break. James Daunt is truly a king among men to allow his employees such liberal breaks.

With no sign of the book and no employees around to help, instead I just grabbed the closest books I could find: A non-fiction book on Munster cheese and several pop-up books with a maximum reading age of 4.

The shop counter had a charity collection jar, so with nobody around, I asked myself, "What would Ruby do?" Naturally, I took this money to reinvest it elsewhere. Since "Amunsta Quorls" sounds like a new snack product for kids, I just reinvested the charity money in some Monster Munch, a pack of Quavers and a Kinder Surprise from the nearest Waitrose. I read the Monster Munch packet on the way home and it was acksquisite - so ethereal and with such AXE-allant varbiage. I would rackomand it to ANYONE. I haven't read the Quavers packet yet, but I'm very excited for it as the yellow and oranges colours gives VARRY autominal vibes.

In conclusion, living life without regard for morality, decorum or responsibility is quite a freeing experience, but I'm not sure I can cope with the itchiness of wearing dust-covered clothes plucked straight from the attic for more than a day.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Sorry for being a bit off topic(s), but I knew that every Martha-Ruby-collab-video had some moments in it which revealed some of these sisters' dynamics. If you too want to see real life Erimentha (Ruby) bullying her brother Nathan (Martha) for not being enough of an intellectual for this family, I recommend this video from 03:27-04:04. I would literally throw up if I was Martha and had to read this "novel" my sister had published.
In order not to take it out of context, here's some explanation. Martha doesn't normally have to follow Ruby's routine, obviously (that's why there's hope for her), she only did for this video, which is called "becoming ruby granger for the day".

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Monster Munch packet on the way home and it was acksquisite - so ethereal and with such AXE-allant varbiage. I would rackomand it to ANYONE. I haven't read the Quavers packet yet, but I'm very excited for it as the yellow and oranges colours gives VARRY autominal vibes.
This whole post is an acksquisite piece of literary fiction. I would pay to see it in vlog form, if only for the incongruous outfit choice.

I'm picturing this ''boys' ruffle shirt'' from Etsy, paired with some Elizabethan men's clothing - only the rich Elizabethans, obviously. No commoners allowed.

1660753516196.png

1660753629569.png

1660753662769.png

Topped with un beret francais (a la jacques edouards)

1660753793556.png

Finally, to complete the look, some Hello Kitty flip flops. These are children's shoes of course.

1660753910180.png

This mermaid doll could also be pinned to the ruffle shirt to generate additional confusion.

1660754021607.png

P.S. I don't know your gender, but your username has 'guy' in it, so I've chosen men's clothes...but also mermaids because mermaids are for everyone.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Blimey mama Granger, don't sit on the fence about who your favourite child is 😶

"Time for reading!" That's put me right off my post-work reading time

• Haha
Reactions: 8
So I had a random memory of a blog Ruby put up, maybe two years ago. She was walking along talking and then just randomly said this is boring and then the footage cut to another seen. I’m curious as to why the boring comment was kept in the blog and not edited out. Just a random thought.

Reactions: 1
They didn't have that, but Ruby mentions that it reminded her of "Amunsta Quorls". They didn't have that, either, and the tired and beleaguered shopkeep was adamant that such a book has never existed.
I have honestly just spend the last few minutes looking for Amunsta Quorls and the shopkeeper was indeed correct no such book exists so why was Ruby mentioning that We Were Wolves reminds her of this when the book doesn't exist in the first place.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I just can't take her fashion sense seriously 🤣

Why the random brooch directly under her neck? I would look better to the left side or right side and a bit lower down. It also seems odd to pin a brooch to a jumper...

Screenshot_2022-08-17-18-22-04-21_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
Stupidest thread title idea ever, but at least it rhymes:

Ruby Granger #31: Smug as a bug in a fug with a tea mug

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I’m still holding a (dangerously placed) candle for my earlier suggestion, but I do think that in tribute to gossip_guy, the next thread title should be: Ruby Granger #31: Amunsta Quorls.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I just can't take her fashion sense seriously 🤣

Why the random brooch directly under her neck? I would look better to the left side or right side and a bit lower down. It also seems odd to pin a brooch to a jumper...

View attachment 1506747
Omg literally just post about anything else for once. She's absolutely obsessed with autumn. And not in a cute quirky way

Reactions: 11
I was looking for the Amunsta Quorls TikTok and umm...these were the results. Apparently her full name is now Ruby Granger Problematic. 😂

1660760559512.png

1660760594273.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.