Ruby Granger #30 A warm milky mug of applestoodle tea

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My suggestion, although I don't know if it actually makes sense in English. But hey ho, it's Roobie's thread anyway 😁

Thread title: Ruby Granger #31 House blaze after Victorian child's craze

Reactions: 6
My suggestion, although I don't know if it actually makes sense in English. But hey ho, it's Roobie's thread anyway 😁

Thread title: Ruby Granger #31 House blaze after Victorian child's craze
EDIT, can't adjust my post anymore...but it probably makes more sense now😇:

Thread title: Ruby Granger #31 House blaze after Victorian child's candle craze

Reactions: 10
Might I ask who your favorites are? I need some new stuff..
I really like studyquill which imo is Ruby's 'dark side of the moon' lol. She's a studytuber and very academic oriented but she also seems like a very well balanced young woman with lots of different interests and talents. I also watch AmandaRachLee for the bullet journal content. I'm not artistic enough to have my own bullet journal but I enjoy watching other people lol
For Booktubers I watch BooksandLala a lot, her videos are really fun and well put together, she always reads sort of niche books that not many people are talking about, and she seems like a cool, down to earth person. She's like 35 I think and has a husband and child. I also like Mina Reads and fictionalfates.
And then for slow living/cottage core we have annika's leaf, Viktoria Terekhina (she's not really cottage core, has more of a minimalist vibe. She's a Russian woman who recently moved to Georgia I think and is now living in the countryside with her husband and toddler), TheCottageFairy, PrettyShepherd, Karolina Zebrowska and Bernadette Banner for the more fashion-oriented content.
Hope this helps :)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Freedom of speech = being able to express your opinions without fear of censorship or persecution from the government for doing so.

Freedom of speech ≠ being able to express your opinions on a gossip site and not have people disagree with you.

People disagree with my opinions on here all the time, it’s really not that deep and all part of having a debate. You came on here and said some overplayed, classist nonsense and you weren’t even able to defend it, so yeah you’ve gotta expect people to criticise that really lmfao 😂.
My opinion being 'overplayed, classist nonsense' is YOUR opinion. Your opinion is being brushed over and accepted but mine isn't? Funny how that works. But whatever you do you 😘

@morganmichelle I’m still really interested in your answers to the questions I asked you, especially the first one:

Really sorry to everyone else for derailing the thread, I swear this is the last time I’ll bring it up 😅

Again, at least 75% of English words are loanwords. English borrows from hundreds of languages. Are you telling me that every time you come across one of those words you take the time to learn the original pronunciation in the original language, perfect your accent and insert it naturally into your speech?

Do you really roll your rs when you’re speaking English and saying Spanish loanwords? Tortilla? Guerilla? Do you pronounce the ‘ll’ in ‘vanilla’ with a ‘y’ sound, or the ‘j’ in ‘jalapeño’ with a Spanish /x/?

Of course you’d say François and not Francis if that was the person‘s name, but if you were talking about that person in English would you really pronounce the French /ʁ/?

Was going to write "I sure hope Ruby does sth interesting soon to distract us from the pronounciation debates" but then I realized how stupid that is - cause Ruby is never going to do something interesting is she. She's literally just going to sit in her bedroom until she (supposedly) goes off to do a master's in September next year. It'll all be the same tit over and over again, and it just blows my mind how stupid that is. Does she not realize that there are like 485 fun, useful, engaging things she could be doing during her gap year! And no, sitting in her bedroom and painting biscuits is not one of them! And her excuse for this madness doesn't even make any sense cause she already finished the book she supposedly was taking the gap year for! I just don't understand it!

Also her graduation was about a month ago and still no updates on the Holocaust memorials. Even though she said she wanted to tackle that immediately after her graduation 🙃

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Was going to write "I sure hope Ruby does sth interesting soon to distract us from the pronounciation debates" but then I realized how stupid that is - cause Ruby is never going to do something interesting is she. She's literally just going to sit in her bedroom until she (supposedly) goes off to do a master's in September next year. It'll all be the same tit over and over again, and it just blows my mind how stupid that is. Does she not realize that there are like 485 fun, useful, engaging things she could be doing during her gap year! And no, sitting in her bedroom and painting biscuits is not one of them! And her excuse for this madness doesn't even make any sense cause she already finished the book she supposedly was taking the gap year for! I just don't understand it!

Also her graduation was about a month ago and still no updates on the Holocaust memorials. Even though she said she wanted to tackle that immediately after her graduation 🙃
She prob won't do anything interesting, but she might do something funny.

I never mentioned Martha's video from earlier. I think life in Brighton will suit her and it's good she's moving forward with things. Did she mention a roller skating club? That sounds like retro fun. 😆 Direct comparisons feel unfair because Martha seems a lot more neurotypical (there might be a more accurate word?) than Ruby who's struggling with her eating issues, anxiety etc etc. Still, wouldn't it be amazing if Ruby decided to take the plunge and move out? I'd love to see Ruby put her academic goals (including writing) aside for a while, take up new hobbies, make new friends, get a job. I don't think she's being honest with herself, and as much as I get annoyed with Ruby's behaviour, I'm kind of rooting for her to break free of her self-imposed isolation.

Reactions: 11
Finnish people struggle with 'v' because there is no 'v' sound in Finnish.
I can assure you with 100% certainty that Finnish does indeed have a ”v” sound, in fact one of our most beautiful and versatile words starts with a v (and ends in -ittu) 😅 We don’t have ð or þ though (as in ”they” or ”with”), maybe you’re thinking about those?

Reactions: 10
I can assure you with 100% certainty that Finnish does indeed have a ”v” sound, in fact one of our most beautiful and versatile words starts with a v (and ends in -ittu) 😅 We don’t have ð or þ though (as in ”they” or ”with”), maybe you’re thinking about those?
You're Finnish?

That reminds me of learning Spanish. My inability as an English speaker to roll the 'r's was very frustrating. I spent ages trying to say perro instead of pero, but my mouth just doesn't produce that sound. 😆

View attachment 1503585
View attachment 1503588

No early years teachers around to give her a pat on the back, so she's had to do it herself.

I can't. This is just too funny. 😂
The concerning part for me is how long she’s spent setting this up. As with her “slow living” shots of walks through the field, where she must spend 50% of her time turning back to fetch her camera. It’s all a performance, and social media is only perpetuating that. As is this gap year, where she doesn’t have university/other students to try and ground her in reality.

I say this, because her mum was clearly the one who took this photo. Who filmed her desk tour. Who is likely giving her the praise for her artwork, taking on that “teacher” role. I worry how much her parents are enabling her, when the real concerns about Ruby’s mental health/eating began during that 2020 lockdown.

Reactions: 20
The concerning part for me is how long she’s spent setting this up. As with her “slow living” shots of walks through the field, where she must spend 50% of her time turning back to fetch her camera. It’s all a performance, and social media is only perpetuating that. As is this gap year, where she doesn’t have university/other students to try and ground her in reality.

I say this, because her mum was clearly the one who took this photo. Who filmed her desk tour. Who is likely giving her the praise for her artwork, taking on that “teacher” role. I worry how much her parents are enabling her, when the real concerns about Ruby’s mental health/eating began during that 2020 lockdown.
Maybe her mum has traits of narcissism. It’s fairly common for food issues and immature behaviour to be encouraged as being in the ‘mummy’ role gains them a lot of praise, attention and gratification. As the girls get older there’s more of a risk of being left alone with nobody to stoke the narcissism fires. My family has a Ruby. It’s the child my mother believes is most like her and encourages her failure to launch, spending all their time together and encouraging the regression. Her least favourite is the child who actually is the most like her (me) because I reflect her negative traits back at her. I see myself in Martha’s comments sometimes - desperately wanting to be loved back but knowing you need to get some space to be happy.

In these kinds of families love is conditional on playing by the rules because you’re not a person, just an extension of the caregiver. Anything you do against their wishes is a personal insult to them. Ruby’s obsession with structure and high achievement/external validation and spending lots of time with Mummy combined with her food issues make this a big list of ticks for common behaviours associated with living with a narcissistic parent. Covert narcissists have a lot more skills than a typical abusive parent and are good at tricking everyone into thinking they’re such a good person.

I agree she’s likely Neurodivergent also, but believe she would have developed much stronger skills to work with her brain not against it if she had a different home life.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
My opinion being 'overplayed, classist nonsense' is YOUR opinion. Your opinion is being brushed over and accepted but mine isn't? Funny how that works. But whatever you do you 😘
Erm, yes, correct. That is indeed my opinion and clearly others agree with me but what do you want me to say here lol? It seems like you expected people to back you up and now you’re upset that they didn’t?!

Maybe her mum has traits of narcissism. It’s fairly common for food issues and immature behaviour to be encouraged as being in the ‘mummy’ role gains them a lot of praise, attention and gratification. As the girls get older there’s more of a risk of being left alone with nobody to stoke the narcissism fires. My family has a Ruby. It’s the child my mother believes is most like her and encourages her failure to launch, spending all their time together and encouraging the regression. Her least favourite is the child who actually is the most like her (me) because I reflect her negative traits back at her. I see myself in Martha’s comments sometimes - desperately wanting to be loved back but knowing you need to get some space to be happy.

In these kinds of families love is conditional on playing by the rules because you’re not a person, just an extension of the caregiver. Anything you do against their wishes is a personal insult to them. Ruby’s obsession with structure and high achievement/external validation and spending lots of time with Mummy combined with her food issues make this a big list of ticks for common behaviours associated with living with a narcissistic parent. Covert narcissists have a lot more skills than a typical abusive parent and are good at tricking everyone into thinking they’re such a good person.

I agree she’s likely Neurodivergent also, but believe she would have developed much stronger skills to work with her brain not against it if she had a different home life.
I’ve thought this for a while to be honest. I didn’t want to speculate because her mum comes off as being very sweet on camera, but something has gone very wrong with Ruby and the way she clings to childhood is worrying tbh. There must be some sort of very strange family dynamic going on there.

Reactions: 19
I was gone for a day why are people arguing about ambience lmao 😭
you're getting pressed over a word go outside and touch some grass PLEASE More-Gan

• Haha
Reactions: 9
No way is Ruby painting biscuits and posting them on Instagram, nope I’ve seen enough. There’s no hope for her.
27FF32B3-DF91-40BF-83A2-7BF6E4B577F5.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Anyone else thinking about how much she can regress or detach from reality? There has to be an end point for all this but she keeps surprising me with me how much she is regressing and I'm just wondering what we'll see next. What does anyone else think?

Reactions: 12
Erm, yes, correct. That is indeed my opinion and clearly others agree with me but what do you want me to say here lol? It seems like you expected people to back you up and now you’re upset that they didn’t?!

I’ve thought this for a while to be honest. I didn’t want to speculate because her mum comes off as being very sweet on camera, but something has gone very wrong with Ruby and the way she clings to childhood is worrying tbh. There must be some sort of very strange family dynamic going on there.
I do wonder whether, because Ruby has been in therapy before, her family appease and enable her so much because to them it's better than the alternative of her being extremely ill. Of course that's no good in the long run and I wouldn't call her completely "well" but I can see it.

Reactions: 5
😬
Her sister marrrrrrrfa (or however she spells it) will probably calm down, hold down a full time job, move out soon. By contrast Ruby will be wearing pigtails and nightgowns at 6pm, muttering to herself in the garden.

I think she should go on a residential writing course or something related to her craft. That way, she gets to write, spend time with fellow writers and also experience something outside of home and school/uni.
Marfa posted a video about having moved to Brighton. She seems to be struggling too.

Reactions: 2
Hahaha almost as soon as I remembered posting this I was like "ffs the national epic is the KaleVala, wake up dodadedo", very tired! That is indeed what I meant!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.