Ruby Granger #30 A warm milky mug of applestoodle tea

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Okay but how can someone be THAT stupid? I get that influencers (including our not so naive and innocent Ruby) are all fake to a certain extent, but come on, make the tiniest bit of effort at faking, please. Copy your friend's summary, but don't copy from the most popular online encyclopedia
I rewatched the video and she didn’t use the exact words. But i think she must’ve used Wikipedia because it sounded like she was paraphrasing.

Reactions: 1
And she also wants to "write 2000 words of book" in one day, apparently. 2000! In one day! That seems like so much to me, especially since it's in addition to multiple other tasks. Then again a mere mortal like me probably cannot comprehend the ways of a real WRITER. Apparently Steven King also writes 2000 words a day, so maybe that's where the inspiration comes from.

Though of course the real question is what book? I mean, "Lottie Parker is a creepy psychopath" is already finished, right? Is she already working on a sequel??
She just wants to seem as productive as possible and as much of a writer as possible. She's no Stephen King, the words she'll churn out will be full of unnecessary descriptions that plagued Erimenthol. She STILL hasn't learned that everything (especially writing) is about quality not quantity.

Reactions: 13
She can be this stupid because it works. She gets the views, she gets the ad money, she gets comments from 14 year olds who can't see how she's a fraud. Most people believe what they see- if Ruby shows herself reading, they believe she's reading.

Reactions: 16
She very much reminds me of Jack Edwards nowadays. They both built their whole personality on how ‘super intelligent’ they were in secondary school. The ego boost from doing YouTube made them delusional and thought it was certain they would get into Oxford. They don’t, it’s a massive kick in the teeth, and instead of addressing the unhealthy thought patterns and the pain of rejection they spend the next three years convincing their audience that they’re ‘SO much HAPPIER at DURHAM/EXETER and it was OBVIOUS that Oxford would NOT have been as good.’ However, they completely go back on that when they apply to Oxford for a masters, and surprise surprise, get rejected again. This second public face plant causes even more hurt but instead of ever really addressing it they crawl back to the legions of 14 year olds on YouTube who actually believe they study for 20 hours a day and read 300 books a week or whatever.

Reactions: 21
She very much reminds me of Jack Edwards nowadays. They both built their whole personality on how ‘super intelligent’ they were in secondary school. The ego boost from doing YouTube made them delusional and thought it was certain they would get into Oxford. They don’t, it’s a massive kick in the teeth, and instead of addressing the unhealthy thought patterns and the pain of rejection they spend the next three years convincing their audience that they’re ‘SO much HAPPIER at DURHAM/EXETER and it was OBVIOUS that Oxford would NOT have been as good.’ However, they completely go back on that when they apply to Oxford for a masters, and surprise surprise, get rejected again. This second public face plant causes even more hurt but instead of ever really addressing it they crawl back to the legions of 14 year olds on YouTube who actually believe they study for 20 hours a day and read 300 books a week or whatever.
Hopefully she won't make the same mistake as Jack and embarrass herself in front of her audience who think she's this hardworking genius by admitting she got rejected, again

Reactions: 3
And she also wants to "write 2000 words of book" in one day, apparently. 2000! In one day! That seems like so much to me, especially since it's in addition to multiple other tasks. Then again a mere mortal like me probably cannot comprehend the ways of a real WRITER. Apparently Steven King also writes 2000 words a day, so maybe that's where the inspiration comes from.
It's definitely doable, the result is almost never great but it's fine for progressing through a draft. I personally don't get caught up in word counts unless it's for a deadline but Ruby Lou Who probably needs an arbitrary count (that is high enough to seem 'serious') to feel accomplished

Reactions: 7
What is it with this Oxbridge obsession anyways? I don’t think there’s really one university in Germany that is as great and prestigious as Oxbridge, I would just apply to a handful and if I was rejected, fine, go to another one because there’s plenty of good ones. Oxbridge is obnoxiously expensive and it’s probably very unlikely you’d get in, soo why did everyone just decide it was the GOAT?
Sorry of this sounds stupid and absolutely no offence if you went there, but it’s something I‘ve always wondered with the studytubers

Reactions: 4
What is it with this Oxbridge obsession anyways? I don’t think there’s really one university in Germany that is as great and prestigious as Oxbridge, I would just apply to a handful and if I was rejected, fine, go to another one because there’s plenty of good ones. Oxbridge is obnoxiously expensive and it’s probably very unlikely you’d get in, soo why did everyone just decide it was the GOAT?
Sorry of this sounds stupid and absolutely no offence if you went there, but it’s something I‘ve always wondered with the studytubers
Germany has a really different system. In Germany, the quality of teaching varies from uni to uni, but overall there is less internal difference than within the UK. They have less strict entrance criteria than British universities. Within Britain you'll see people with certain types of grades and from certain parts of the country and with certain socio-economic backgrounds being more likely to apply to particular universities than others. It's more segregated by background I'd say, and the British class system which is way more pronounced than in Germany plays a role here as well.

Oxbridge offers great quality teaching, resources and the setting is beautiful. The name can help in your career too, and it's a great place for networking. If you're a good student or your family/class values an Oxbridge education, you might want to apply even when it's more work than applying to another university.

All British universities are expensive by continental European standards, it's because their political system is more right-leaning and privatised, so a university education is several thousand pounds a year compared to zero to a few hundred a year in Germany. It's comparing apples and pears.

By the way, there are lots of Germans at Oxbridge and an Oxbridge education is also looked upon favourably in Germany.

People like Ruby and Jack just apply to Oxford to receive validation for their perceived level of intelligence, to look smart. Didn't work.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Ruby and Jack's Oxford obsession came from this idea of what they thought Oxford was. Ever since they've been at school, they've been showered with praise and teachers probably told them constantly "oh you should apply to Oxbridge"; they've been geared to think it's the be-all and end-all. They spent months trying to do practice interviews and perfecting their applications, believing that they were smart enough to get in there because that's what they were told. When they don't, it's the harsh reality that perhaps they're not as smart as they thought they were and it's not the best environment for them.

The reason they can't let it go now and still cling on to Oxford, which is seen by Ruby going there just last year and romanticising it is because it's all to do with being "the best"; academic geniuses who can get the kudos of going to Oxford. A Masters at Oxford where you rely heavily on independent thought would swallow Ruby alive, yet she continues to advocate the idea of going there because she still believes she's that clever, "it's been her dream since she was 12" and she wants to prove the bullies who rejected her wrong and that she was good enough and to never give up on your dreams or some spiel like that.

It's nothing to do with it being the best option because reality is it's probably not; it's to produce YouTube content with Oxford in the title and for everyone/her to know she's an Oxford student. It's quite sad really.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Wake up guys new bookshelf tour just dropped 🤩🤩

Roobee's showing us a REALISTIC view of her bookcase, as opposed to when she tidies it, whatever that means. Dusting off the books to look like she's reading? Putting away the felt mouse?

Her books are organized into Classics, "Special Books", Children's, More Classics, Series, and Harry Potter. Truly a well-rounded bookshelf reflective of an avid reader with a literature degree.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Oxbridge isn't more expensive than any other university and might even work out cheaper if you get a good bursary. For example, several colleges offer English students a book budget of £50-100/year. (Obviously Jack and Ruby didn't really need to worry about money though.)
Don't get me wrong, there are many many problems with Oxbridge and there are certainly students who are struggling but it's not because the university is "obnoxiously expensive". (The course is the same price as any other English university.)

Reactions: 7
She very much reminds me of Jack Edwards nowadays. They both built their whole personality on how ‘super intelligent’ they were in secondary school. The ego boost from doing YouTube made them delusional and thought it was certain they would get into Oxford.
Yo for real, where my gifted burned out kids at ? It's very hard to have that realisation after secondary school that you are merely average. Or even worse, that your grades are getting somewhat not that good the more you grow up. Being gifted has a lot of comorbidity with adhd and/or autism, often some factors in those conditions make it very very easy to get good grades when you're young.

But someone with golden child syndrome like Ruby ? Man that must have been rough. I can only imagine her parents have put her on a pedestal all her life. Even if it's not on purpose. Sometimes only being proud of your child can put a loooot of pressure on them.

Anyway. Still needing to mention that you were super smart in secondary school is something that usually passes around the begining of your twenties, when you realize how meaningless and unspecial it is, and mostly, how much people don't care. Because so many people were.

Reactions: 14
One reason you'd presume Ruby found university less enjoyable and still clings onto her schooldays and goes back there, despite leaving over 4 years ago is because you get constant validation and praise at school. You work hard, teachers single you out and shower you with praise, you get top grades and everyone says how amazing you are. There are school reports, awards, assemblies that all put the intelligent/hardworking kids on a pedestal, thus making them feel special and increasing your ego.

You don't get that at uni. You sit in a lecture theatre with hundreds of other students, write your essays and have it anonymously marked a few weeks later. Most lectures won't even know your name (even with Ruby's constant bombardments of emails and thank you cards). In the real world, you don't get praised for doing tasks and work; it sets you up for the real world and that environment.

As for good grades, you realise the further you go up the ladder how meaningless they are. GCSEs feel like the most important milestone of your life when you're 16, but you sit them and then realise that absolutely nobody cares. Ditto A-Levels when you go to uni. Most of these Studytubers built their whole self-worth and brand over good grades and being high achievers at school. It would be disingenuous to say good grades are meaningless, but the frank truth is they don't define you and all the opportunities you'll get in life. Ruby didn't realise that and that's why she's not well rounded. She's got a first from a Russell Group uni; as her graduation showed her, 100s of other students achieved that exact same accomplishment, while getting involved with uni life and having an active social life, making them 10x more employable.

Reactions: 28
Wake up guys new bookshelf tour just dropped 🤩🤩

Roobee's showing us a REALISTIC view of her bookcase, as opposed to when she tidies it, whatever that means. Dusting off the books to look like she's reading? Putting away the felt mouse?

Her books are organized into Classics, "Special Books", Children's, More Classics, Series, and Harry Potter. Truly a well-rounded bookshelf reflective of an avid reader with a literature degree.
One of my newest and most specific pet peeves is that she calls it a bookshelf. But this is something we've spoken about on here before.

Also- I've got like, five bookcases in my flat up here and about four more down at my parents' house. Surely she can't just have the bookcase in her room and then whatever is in 'The Snug'? She's the world's biggest book worm guys!

Reactions: 13
I'm guessing the bookshelf tour is on TikTok? Couldn't find it on YouTube, so typed search terms in and found a bunch of book-related videos I haven't seen before.

Has this one from Feb 2021 been discussed on Tattle? It was before I joined. She's got a book haul of 45 (!!) books and the first two are etiquette guides. She pronounces the word strangely: etty-ket, though it's possible I'm the one who's been mispronouncing it. And now she's talking about War and Peace - did she ever finish it?! By Leo Toiylstoy, according to Ruby.

Help, she's just said that Norwegian Wood is 'SYO SENSORY!' three times in the space of a minute.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Has this one from Feb 2021 been discussed on Tattle? It was before I joined. She's got a book haul of 45 (!!) books and the first two are etiquette guides. She pronounces the word strangely: etty-ket, though it's possible I'm the one who's been mispronouncing it. And now she's talking about War and Peace - did she ever finish it?! By Leo Toiylstoy, according to Ruby.
she's definitely saying it wrong I think, I'd say it like etty-kut. I remember a teacher saying he would never begrudge anyone for saying long words wrong as usually it means you've only read the words and never heard them said out loud which is fair but Ruby has had such an expensive education it's odd that she gets words like percent and foliage wrong

Reactions: 2
she's definitely saying it wrong I think, I'd say it like etty-kut. I remember a teacher saying he would never begrudge anyone for saying long words wrong as usually it means you've only read the words and never heard them said out loud which is fair but Ruby has had such an expensive education it's odd that she gets words like percent and foliage wrong
Later in the video, she also pronounces fascimile as 'FASS-i-MILL' which caused even more self-doubt. I had to check the pronunciation via Google. 😅 Then she's talking about the Victorian food book and how it contains tibbits.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
She's saying etiquette correctly, although with a slight English accent of course.

Also in this day and age you can learn how to say pretty much any word you want on the Internet lol. There's really no excuse to the amount of words and names she mispronounces in her videos

Reactions: 4
Also in this day and age you can learn how to say pretty much any word you want on the Internet lol. There's really no excuse to the amount of words and names she mispronounces in her videos
She is saying it correctly tho. I would pronounce that sentence pretty much the same. Dunno where ety-kutt came from but whoever is saying that I'm so sorry 😅.

Honestly french is SO hard to pronounce when you didn't learn it as a child of course she pronounces stuff wrong, I still can't say "How are you" 100% correctly (it always rolls in my mouth wrong, if any one has tips I would gladly take them) and I'm as good in english as it gets when we talk about a second language.

I agree tho that it's laugh worthy when someone uses french words to sound more posh and say them wrong.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.