Ruby Granger #30 A warm milky mug of applestoodle tea

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
she wants the brownie points for being vegan enough to not eat it? or she’s too lazy to re-film.

edit: What a bleeping surprise, Rootabaga got something for free and LOVES it 💫🤦🙄

View attachment 1478033
I’m really intrigued by this. Is it usual to give out a pre-release copy so far in advance? 5ish months seems a long time between seeing a promotion and being able to buy a book.

Reactions: 8
the book does sound like a nice read. but there seems to be a bit romance involved? at least that's what I gather from reviews on goodreads (don't know if they are supposed to post a review months before publishing? I received a few books for review through Netgalley and other websites and there is often the rule that you aren't allowed to post your review before the publication date).
I’m really intrigued by this. Is it usual to give out a pre-release copy so far in advance? 5ish months seems a long time between seeing a promotion and being able to buy a book.
sometimes. I got a review copy last year for a book that came out in August of that year and I got the book in spring. Okay that was not half a year but still.

Reactions: 3
she wants the brownie points for being vegan enough to not eat it? or she’s too lazy to re-film.

edit: What a bleeping surprise, Rootabaga got something for free and LOVES it 💫🤦🙄

View attachment 1478033
It also sounds like ditched her usual "lemme grab my thesaurus" word vomit reviews and she's just tried to imitate Jack Edwards' usual empty, generic, adjective-filled "reviews" which are purposefully written with easy pull-quotes to try to get his name on the cover of the final print book (which he clearly never read).

"Fiery, capable & intelligent female characters which which we always love to see" - Ruby loves to see it, just as long as those characters don't get grown-up jobs or pursue a romantic relationship with anyone.

Very common. It gives the publisher chance to build word of mouth, gives critics a chance to read the book ahead of pre-release promotional interviews, plus it gives them time to get notable people to read the book, review it and give the marketing team a choice quote that they'll then have time to add to the final print cover design of the book, like:

"I shat my pants every three pages - a classic!" - Stephen King.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Yes! Are you a fellow german?
I'm not German from birth but I grew up a bit in Germany and I had the gift of learning a language fast as a kid so I'm fluent in German also :D

OT Germany
im learning German and planning to move there next year!
I don't know if private messenger is a thing on this website but if you ever want some free help, feel free to message me or we can exchange emails :)

I'm sorry for starting a new topic but, didn't Ruby at one time recommend 'Milk and Honey' by Rupi Kaur as one of the many books she 'loved and recommended'? Has anyone actually read Milk and Honey?? I downloaded a free PDF from online and I'm only on page 27 but holy cannoli. Never in a thousand years would I have ever imagined Ruby to read something like this. The self-proclaimed perfect, honourable, unspoiled, pure blabla etc Rubydoo reading a book that consists primarily of
r*pe, sex, body parts etc?!
I doubt she read more than a page of it... if that.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I'm not German from birth but I grew up a bit in Germany and I had the gift of learning a language fast as a kid so I'm fluent in German also :D

I don't know if private messenger is a thing on this website but if you ever want some free help, feel free to message me or we can exchange emails :)
OT
I just checked and couldn't find a messaging feature. does anyone know?

Reactions: 2
I'm not a fan of Rupi Kaur's poetry, but she's Instagram famous and writes about women's issues, so maybe that's why Ruby is keen to recommend her book.

Reactions: 4
This thread moves so fast but I wanted to say re Ruby befriending her 17-18 year old fans - she might not be much older but there is still a power imbalance. She obviously isn't a huge celebrity but she is in the public eye to a certain extent, she has a lot of fans who idolise her, and they don't necessarily meet on equal footing. I wouldn't be surprised if she prefers her "friends" to be fawning admirers rather than her equals.

Also her convoluted video title about reading books for the first time, that's been a bit of trend on booktube. It's not about re-reading, it's about wishing you could relive the experience of reading them for the first time without knowing what happens. But she didn't even read them once so the whole thing is pointless.

Reactions: 13
I can see that everyone here is convinced Ruby never finishes/actually reads her books besiedes the children's books - are there any hidden proofs in her videos? Not that I disagree with you, but for me it's just a feeling that I have, although I think it could be possible that she actually reads what she claims to read.

I can see that everyone here is convinced Ruby never finishes/actually reads her books besiedes the children's books - are there any hidden proofs in her videos? Not that I disagree with you, but for me it's just a feeling that I have, although I think it could be possible that she actually reads what she claims to read.
I’m partly joking when I say that - but only partly. During university, she would regularly read Sparknotes synopses (and c/p these in her Notion) before reading the actual works she was supposed to be reading for her classes, and emphasized reading critical essays so as to have talking points for seminars. So my guess is, she probably just skims a lot of the books she claims to read. Even with her leisure reading, she seldom has anything original to say - she’ll quote the back blurb or a review, and when recommending books, she frequently says things like ”it’s a short book” or ”this edition is beautiful”, or even ”everyone should read his book” (no reason given). She’ll skim parts of five books during a ”readathon” but she’s so focused on consuming a quantity or writing that she has no time to reflect on it, talk about it or really process it in any way before moving on to the next book.

Reactions: 17
I’m partly joking when I say that - but only partly. During university, she would regularly read Sparknotes synopses (and c/p these in her Notion) before reading the actual works she was supposed to be reading for her classes, and emphasized reading critical essays so as to have talking points for seminars. So my guess is, she probably just skims a lot of the books she claims to read. Even with her leisure reading, she seldom has anything original to say - she’ll quote the back blurb or a review, and when recommending books, she frequently says things like ”it’s a short book” or ”this edition is beautiful”, or even ”everyone should read his book” (no reason given). She’ll skim parts of five books during a ”readathon” but she’s so focused on consuming a quantity or writing that she has no time to reflect on it, talk about it or really process it in any way before moving on to the next book.
I think she is not entirely honest about her reading speed. She pretends that she reads really quickly because that’s her ‘thing’ to show high intelligence, and she’ll say she’s ‘read’ a book when actually she’s still reading it. That then trips her up when she tries to speak about the book and it’s clear there are big chunks of it she doesn’t know - like when she talked about eating peaches when reading CMBYN, and she pretended she didn’t see the link even though this was apparently her second or third read through.

I also think that sometimes she pretends she’s read a book when she’s actually watched the film of the book - to me, that comes across so much in her book-looks where she’ll clearly be copying something she’s seen in a film, and not the book.

Reactions: 22
I agree with what both of you are saying, but I think she does make herself believe she always reads the whole thing, like by reading it at a very fast pace by missing out large chunks, but by reading at least some sentences on each page. Combine that with online summaries, and there you have the feeling you're not missing out on anything.
I just don't see herself as someone who deliberatively lies to her viewers to such an extent. She's too naive to do that, I think she would feel bad about that so she prefers convincing herself that she actually reads everything.

Reactions: 2
I agree with what both of you are saying, but I think she does make herself believe she always reads the whole thing, like by reading it at a very fast pace by missing out large chunks, but by reading at least some sentences on each page. Combine that with online summaries, and there you have the feeling you're not missing out on anything.
I just don't see herself as someone who deliberatively lies to her viewers to such an extent. She's too naive to do that, I think she would feel bad about that so she prefers convincing herself that she actually reads everything.
Yeah no, sorry but i dont buy that.

Reactions: 10
I feel like the one thing she’s really succeeded at is making everyone think she’s a lot more naive and innocent than she actually is. If it’s not intentional, then at the very least she’s very, very used to lying to herself.

Reactions: 22
I just don't see herself as someone who deliberatively lies to her viewers to such an extent. She's too naive to do that, I think she would feel bad about that
Yeah...no.

Ruby is a compulsive liar and she's frequently shown that there's nothing she won't lie about. She clearly doesn't feel bad about it. If she gets called out for it, she merely addresses it with smug annoyance that she got caught and responds with more lies.

Reactions: 16
I just read the plot summary on Wikipedia of call me by your name (I haven’t read the book or seen the film) and didn’t Ruby use the exact words from the first sentences of the summary in one of her recent videos?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Untitled45646.png

Ruby taking mummy and daddy on their third holiday of the year to America.

Once again, Robotic Ruby treats friends like transactional relationships, and her new best friend's birthday is an "Admin Task". So is time spent filming with mummy dearest.

This planner was also DESIGNED FROM THE GROUND UP TO BE THE PERFECT PLANNER TO SUIT RUBY'S NEEDS! ...And yet she keeps having to manually add tickboxes to sections regularly whenever she fills these things out, because it wasn't designed to suit her needs or anyone else's.

She's also starting a commonplace book, because she definitely needs even more places to waste time compiling pointless information.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
I just read the plot summary on Wikipedia of call me by your name (I haven’t read the book or seen the film) and didn’t Ruby use the exact words from the first sentences of the summary in one of her recent videos?
Okay but how can someone be THAT stupid? I get that influencers (including our not so naive and innocent Ruby) are all fake to a certain extent, but come on, make the tiniest bit of effort at faking, please. Copy your friend's summary, but don't copy from the most popular online encyclopedia

View attachment 1480858

Ruby taking mummy and daddy on their third holiday of the year to America.

Once again, Robotic Ruby treats friends like transactional relationships, and her new best friend's birthday is an "Admin Task". So is time spent filming with mummy dearest.

She's also starting a commonplace book, because she definitely needs even more places to waste time compiling pointless information.
And she also wants to "write 2000 words of book" in one day, apparently. 2000! In one day! That seems like so much to me, especially since it's in addition to multiple other tasks. Then again a mere mortal like me probably cannot comprehend the ways of a real WRITER. Apparently Steven King also writes 2000 words a day, so maybe that's where the inspiration comes from.

Though of course the real question is what book? I mean, "Lottie Parker is a creepy psychopath" is already finished, right? Is she already working on a sequel??

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.