Ruby Granger #30 A warm milky mug of applestoodle tea

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm surprised at that too. I'm wondering if maybe she missed the boat on that though. There seemed to be dozens of crap YouTuber books a few years ago. Maybe it was a fad?
Maybe that's because she wants to write a real book. Which I think, Zoella did (with a Ghostwritter ofc), Zoella was a lot more famous so idk. The only youtuber I remember writing a book with a story besides that is Onision. But he self published. I'm gonna assume that Ruby's writing skills are at least a little better then his'.

Maybe her book is just not good enough to be published as a random book and too "real book" to be published as a Youtuber book with her face on it and everything, I think it's a safe bet.

Reactions: 5
I'm surprised at that too. I'm wondering if maybe she missed the boat on that though. There seemed to be dozens of crap YouTuber books a few years ago. Maybe it was a fad?
Yeah, it's mainly this.

Publishers were eager to crap out YouTuber vanity books a few years ago because it was a relatively new thing and they thought a popular name on a book would be enough to sell it, regardless of quality. Now they've tested the waters, seen that subscriber counts don't translate to guaranteed books sales and they're not likely to make the same mistake again unless it's a mega-huge star.

Fiction is a big gamble for a YouTuber vanity book, and it's pretty much never worked out. Zoella's book was mired in controversy after it was outed as being ghostwritten, Sasha Alsberg had to pair with an established author to write one and the end result was mercilessly roasted online, Christine Riccio's first book was put out through a tiny publisher and was similarly terrible, with most online reviews tearing it to shreds.

Jack got his deal mainly due to timing (it being written/published just before the peak popularity of Studytube died), combined with it being a generic self-help, non-fiction book which is an easier gamble for a publisher than a YA fiction title. But even then, just looks at UnjadedJade's attempt at doing the same 1 year later - she could only get published through a tiny, never-heard-of-them publisher and it sold almost no copies, because the window on getting a book published purely because of your name and follower count has long closed.

Ruby has no chance. She's writing fiction with no talent, long after the peak of her minor fame has gone. She might've been able to land an agent based on her name, but that's the easy part. She's missed the window on getting a vanity book deal and her writing is a known quantity now, too. Publishers only need to Google her to find she already wrote a half-assed book that nobody bought, and that was at the height of her popularity - nobody's buying a YA fiction book with Ruby's name on it. She's handed them a proven test case for how poorly her book will read and sell.

The most she can hope for now is a tiny deal from a no-name publisher who'll slap it on shelves unedited with a cover that looks like it was ripped from Deviantart. But Ruby's set herself up with the entitled expectation that she's going to get Stephen King levels of success and anything less will be like another Oxford rejection for her. She should've stuck with self-publishing.

Reactions: 24
Yeah, it's mainly this.

The most she can hope for now is a tiny deal from a no-name publisher who'll slap it on shelves unedited with a cover that looks like it was ripped from Deviantart. But Ruby's set herself up with the entitled expectation that she's going to get Stephen King levels of success and anything less will be like another Oxford rejection for her. She should've stuck with self-publishing.
If she didn't have an audience, fed herself correctly (I honestly think that's the main reason why her writing is so bad rn, like, it's very hum décousu, without that aspect it would at least make sense), and let herself be inspired instead of forcing it, maybe she could be good ! If you have passion and read as much as she says she does, you can't be that bad.
She needs to take a break, maybe meet people if she's not good at out-of-the-imaginary fiction. Or realize she doesn't want to do that at all idk. But for her age, her first book wasn't bad. Maybe it was more wattpad or good high school written production level but not everyone can write like this at this age either.

For publishing tho... Idk it's tough rn even if you're really really good so.

Reactions: 4
going back to the youtubers writing real books, a girl called Connie Glynn wrote a successful YA series about princesses being spies or something? she was a fairly big british youtuber (around 2014-2017, i think) when she brought the books out and I still see them in waterstone's etc. Also Sasha Alsberg was/is a booktuber who wrote a YA fantacy series called Zenith.
Just a couple of examples I can think of that felt like they weren't published solely off the back of their 'following' or 'fame'

Reactions: 3
Also Sasha Alsberg was/is a booktuber who wrote a YA fantacy series called Zenith.
Just a couple of examples I can think of that felt like they weren't published solely off the back of their 'following' or 'fame'
Zenith was absolutely published because of Sasha's channel. It was awful, it got 5 star reviews from some of her friends/fans and was trashed by everyone else. She even sent her sister to harrass people who didn't like it. Her latest book, which she wrote alone, has an average rating of 2.7.

The only booktuber I consider a legit author is Jen Campbell, but she had published books before she started booktube, she didn't get a publishing deal because of her subscriber count.

Reactions: 9
going back to the youtubers writing real books, a girl called Connie Glynn wrote a successful YA series about princesses being spies or something? she was a fairly big british youtuber (around 2014-2017, i think) when she brought the books out and I still see them in waterstone's etc. Also Sasha Alsberg was/is a booktuber who wrote a YA fantacy series called Zenith.
Oh Connie Glynns books are famous in Germany too, a friend of mine read them when they were published and neither her nor me had ever heard of her youtube

Reactions: 3
If you have passion and read as much as she says she does, you can't be that bad.
I think that's a massive part of the problem: She clearly doesn't enjoy writing (or reading, for that matter) and has no real interest in or talent for it at all.

She looks utterly miserable every moment she shows herself doing it, and there's no desire to improve as a writer or tell any story that's not just about herself. She's just wants praise for crapping out first draft drivel, and she's desperately clinging to writing because it's the closest thing to her fake genius bookworm persona, instead of finding something she actually enjoys spending her time doing.

She announced that she was doing Camp Nanowrimo last month. That would've given her everything she apparently wants - an excuse to write, 30 days of structure and a month's worth of steady vlog content. But she bailed on it immediately after initially trying to cheat at it, then made a month of sad posts of her dingy windowsill instead.

I honestly have no idea what she actually enjoys in life because there's certainly no genuine joy on display in anything she does in her videos. Removing herself from the internet would definitely be the best thing she could possibly do for herself and her audience.

Reactions: 21
Oh Connie Glynns books are famous in Germany too, a friend of mine read them when they were published and neither her nor me had ever heard of her youtube
I just googled them and the protagonist is called LOTTIE PUMPKIN, what are the chances??

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
I feel like attempting to write a book is the most mentally unhealthy way of Ruby spending her gap year. Imagine you had a bit of a tit time being bullied and all that at school, and then when you become an adult, you spend days locked in your room essentially writing alternate versions of your young, bullied, self, but each time you slightly tweak everything so the young bullied girl comes out on top and goes to Oxford and wins a Nobel prize or whatever. The best thing she could’ve done for herself is quit social media for a year and start seeing a psychologist so she can figure out who she is past ‘super intelligent genius who’s lecturers just haven’t realised it yet because they’re dumber than her so that’s why she got a low faahhst in her degree.’ But she feeds off the attention so that will never happen.

Reactions: 24
Untitled456467989.jpg

Ruby's handing off the Ponkin' Poddocktivity Insta to someone else. Posting grimy photos of her bedroom squalor on there was the only involvement she actually had with the company, but apparently the burden of posting a picture of her front yard once every 7-14 days was just too much work for lazy-ass Rubert.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
View attachment 1487882

Ruby's handing off the Ponkin' Poddocktivity Insta to someone else. Posting grimy photos of her bedroom squalor on there was the only involvement she actually had with the company, but apparently the burden of posting a picture of her front yard once every 7-14 days was just too much work for lazy-ass Rubert.
That's surprising. I can't imagine why she'd need assistance. It's not like it's a big company.

Reactions: 12
That's surprising. I can't imagine why she'd need assistance. It's not like it's a big company.
Yeah, and all her product launches are done until the end of the year (if they even bother with another yearly planner), and the sales numbers get worse every time. Ruby has endless free time and managing the Insta account is a 30 minute a day job at an absolute maximum.

Leave it to Ruby and her genius management team to hire an unnecessary assistant when there's less cash and less work than ever before. Savvy business decisions like this are sure to pay off!

Reactions: 13
Yeah, and all her product launches are done until the end of the year (if they even bother with another yearly planner), and the sales numbers get worse every time. Ruby has endless free time and managing the Insta account is a 30 minute a day job at an absolute maximum.

Leave it to Ruby and her genius management team to hire an unnecessary assistant when there's less cash and less work than ever before. Savvy business decisions like this are sure to pay off!
She’s been doing a shoddy-ass job of promoting it, having someone take it over from her is probably a last-ditch attempt on 16th’s part to cover their losses. Too little too late though, they have two weeks max before they have to reduce the price. Hope they have the sense not to make any more after this run.

Reactions: 11

The assistant is probably an unpaid intern …

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
New video coming today! What new season is she greeting? The new one she’s invented… pre-autumn? As it’s more or less the mid-point between the first day of summer and the first day of autumn, that’s the only one I can think of.

The frugal among us will be glad to see she’s finally using the drone and not just letting it gather dust in one of the living-rooms.

CF9836E6-AD26-430D-8CAE-70A899DA68DA.jpeg

Reactions: 9
I’m very excited for this new video. Maybe I should treat myself to some cider or Aperol Spritz while watching it. To … greet the new season.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Late reply, but it's so obvious that having a lot of viewers on YouTube does not translate to selling a lot of copies of a book - clicking on someone's video doesn't cost anything, so lots of people do it (also out of curiosity or even aversion, or superficial interest which would disappear if they read Ruby's fiction and realized how derailed her ideas are), but as soon as you sell something, you see how many people actually care enough to spend some money.
Anyway, I can't wait to read someone's summary of her book on this forum. Let's admit that at least the plot seems to be a bit more developed than Erimentha's, which was as simple as the work of a 7 year old. Psychologically though, Erimentha offers some incredibly deep insights in Ruby's (not very deep) way of thinking.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.