Ruby Granger #25 Leaving all the books unread, chasing sponsorships instead

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her dissertation is just a block of flashcards written in crayon, held together by a lopsided ribbon with a dead fly stuck to a corner
How can somebody tell if a dissertation is written by somebody else ? I mean it is possible? I never been to uni so I don’t know how the wheel turns

Reactions: 3
How can somebody tell if a dissertation is written by somebody else ? I mean it is possible? I never been to uni so I don’t know how the wheel turns
A lot of assignments are turned in through a website/program called ‘TurnItIn’ that’ll basically scan the document for plagiarism and gives a similarity score based on what it finds. At least that’s what we do in the states. I’m not sure about the UK.

Reactions: 19
Dissertations are usually checked for plagiarism, however those programs only detect if you've copied sentences from pre-existing texts. They really have no way of checking if someone actually wrote their diss themselves or had someone else do it

Reactions: 16
They have software such as Turnitin that can check for outright plagiarism.

However, this software cannot check whether or not a student wrote an essay or dissertation themselves. The only way to check is manually with the help of linguistic forensics. The process works on a case-by-case basis. Firstly, the essay markers identify suspicious texts (e.g. if the marker is familiar with a student's writing style, they may realise that the student's latest submission doesn't sound like them; or if the work of two or more students sounds very similar). This may be a little easier to do with a dissertation at Exeter because they're marked by the students' dissertation supervisors who are already familiar with their students' writing in most cases. Secondly, once an essay/dissertation has been flagged, a linguistic forensic will compare the suspicious text with other essays the student has written to see if the authorship is the same. As you can imagine, it's a very inefficient, resource-intensive process that probably isn't all that effective at identifying original-but-bought essays. I read that Exeter Uni had a plan to develop software to automate this process, but I don't know what became of it.

Reactions: 14
A lot of assignments are turned in through a website/program called ‘TurnItIn’ that’ll basically scan the document for plagiarism and gives a similarity score based on what it finds. At least that’s what we do in the states. I’m not sure about the UK.
Yes it is also used in the UK. However it will not detect if someone else has written the dissertation unless they are also a student and have submitted a similar piece. A supervisor will be asking for drafts throughout so unless they are writing it from the start, they will be able to tell if the style differs in the submitted version. Although as miss pan is loaded I wouldn't be surprised if she has a ghost writer throughout.

Reactions: 9
My country also uses turnitin. It only picks up when the text (i.e. disastertation) has been plagiarized, or certain passages. What's cool about the program is you can see where the plagiarism comes from (for example a sentence is highlighted to say it was plagiarized, and it gives you a link to the original text that has been plagiarized).

Unfortunately it is unable to pick up if it was written by the student. When using Turnitin you have to declare that you wrote everything (at least at our school). So if Rooby dooby Doo buys a dissertation, the whole thing would be plagiarized. So instant fail. I'm not sure if she will fail her degree (probably). Plagiarism is also a criminal offense one can go to jail for! Imagine Rubes in prison.

"Hello it's Prisoner 975F2022 and today I'm going to show you the life of an inmate. The most exciting part about being an inmate is that there are tons of pen pal organizations. There are soooo many people I am currently writing, but we are not allowed to use any decorations."

The person who is writing the dissertation could plagiarize their own words and that could lead to her being found out.

The only way I can see her getting caught using a ghost writer is:
1. The person marking the paper already knows Ruby's writing style and sees that the final product's style is very different.
2. The final product is different than the drafts that Ruby has been passing along.

If a UK buddy could clear up how involved the supervisor is with the writing process.

So fingers crossed that if something dodgy is going on, she gets caught.

Added:
Thanks for the above answers. I'm adding mine to the mix.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Most supervisors ask to see draft chapters for feedback. They're not allowed to see the whole thing normally, but they will want to see a substantial amount of work before submission to ensure that you're actually trying.

Reactions: 15
It's because having one best friend that is the only person at school who gets you and you can be weird together and support each other against bullies is a typical trope in the media Ruby enjoys. And it's fine when you're in middle school and your social skills aren't developed yet. But in university it's just a bit ridiculous
Been watching Anne with an E and the dynamic between Diana and Anne reminds me of this so so much. It’s clear that Ruby replicates this scarily close, “it’s us against the world” type of friendship irl without realising that she’s not an ostracised 13 year old orphan and she can have more than one friend

• Wow
Reactions: 16
It might be that she's presenting her dissertation, or the current state of it? Many universities require such a presentation in front of peers as part of the BA dissertation.
This isn't the case at UK Universities- at least, not in Arts & Humanities subjects!

Let's be real, the flashcards are just another bit of pointless busywork to aid in her "Productive" procrastination.

Reactions: 13
This isn't the case at UK Universities- at least, not in Arts & Humanities subjects!

Let's be real, the flashcards are just another bit of pointless busywork to aid in her "Productive" procrastination.
Actually it was the case for my Arts degree at a UK uni - different unis do things differently!

Reactions: 5
Actually it was the case for my Arts degree at a UK uni - different unis do things differently!
Ah, fair enough! I've legit never heard of it happening over here before but I'm happy to be corrected :) Which subject?

Reactions: 5
Might be showing my lack of vocabulary, but what does "airs" mean? Does it mean her items smell?
To air someone is to essentially ignore their message and leave them on seen.
Defo not surprised so hear she did this tbh.

Reactions: 27
It comes with a complimentary Pumpking Productivity Planner for 2022 and a handwritten letter to her lecturer about how much they mean to her and about how May is her third-favourite month right after October and October.
But the ribbon must be purchased separately

• Haha
Reactions: 13
"Hello it's Prisoner 975F2022 and today I'm going to show you the life of an inmate. The most exciting part about being an inmate is that there are tons of pen pal organizations. There are soooo many people I am currently writing, but we are not allowed to use any decorations."
Pen pal organizations. I'm dead. 😆

I was on the Waterstones site a few days ago and it had a section for prison deliveries, so Rubes will still be able to receive mail from her favourite bookshop!

1647994032518.png

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.