Ruby Granger #25 Leaving all the books unread, chasing sponsorships instead

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think the YouTube fundraiser raised $500, which is about £200 as someone said. I don’t think Ruby realized the currency difference and donated £500.

There’s no way she donated double out of the goodness of her heart, so just shows how dumb she is. I’m glad it’s gone to a good cause though.
USD$500 is actually £382, but still, not the same as £500 lmao.

Reactions: 11
Tattlers, I’ve cracked the mystery! The mystery of why Roobarb did an actual charity drive for once. The answer is obvious. She misread and thought she was raising money for herself… for the dissertation emergency 😂

A096DF28-C88E-4384-950A-D71E9A8D979F.jpeg

edit: no no no no NO NO NO. NO. NO.

59638BC0-C6C8-4612-9CF0-1A6EEA1DE6CA.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 49

View attachment 1117447
There was another reply under this where someone genuinely seemed to think that Ruby could given them advice on renovating and decorating a Victorian home. Since Ruby’s knowledge of ’maintaining original features’ extends no further than never cleaning them and leaving dead flies around for so long they become antiques, I would really, really love to see that video.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
There was another reply under this where someone genuinely seemed to think that Ruby could given them advice on renovating and decorating a Victorian home. Since Ruby’s knowledge of ’maintaining original features’ extends no further than never cleaning them and leaving dead flies around for so long they become antiques, I would really, really love to see that video.
The thought of Ruby being left alone with any sort of power tools, trying to DIY anything gives me the chills! She would probably get her hair or long, flowy skirts tangled up in the machinery, injuring herself in the process. Just no.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Urgh the fact that her fans think she's a genuine expert worthy of consultation about everything Victorian is just sad. While actually passionate and knowledgeable vintage YouTubers are like: 🤨

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Tattlers, I’ve cracked the mystery! The mystery of why Roobarb did an actual charity drive for once. The answer is obvious. She misread and thought she was raising money for herself… for the dissertation emergency 😂

View attachment 1117434

View attachment 1117447
"Hallo it's Ryooby and tyooday Oi'm gyoing tyo bee showying yeou all about whyat it wyas lyike for poor Vyictorian sahvants boiy spendying all day clyimbing thyis chyimnee. All pryoceeds of the fyundraiser to gyet me back dahn agahn wyill go tyowahds paying samwan tyo wryite my dyisaster of a dissahtayshon for me"

• Haha
Reactions: 16
This is random, but I've thinking of it for a while, and it makes me sad to think about kids imitating Ruby. Kids naturally emulate those they look up to. I did the same thing when I was younger, but thankfully I was only obsessed with Dan and Phil so the extent of what I did was like... listening to music they recommended or books they mentioned reading, or developing a strange obsession with Manchester lol. It worries me that if kids try to imitate Ruby, they'll be attempting to recreate this impossible standard. We know that Ruby's "daily vlogs" actually include footage spanning over multiple days, and she doesn't actually get all that stuff done in one day, but most of her viewers don't. That coupled with her irresponsibly showing off her "meals" and bodychecking constantly makes for some very worrying content for kids to engage with. Plus if anyone tries to copy her insane 16-hour study days, they'll be heading straight for burnout. If Ruby's content was on TV or any other kind of platform with stricter content guidelines, I'm certain things would have to change. As it is, no matter what she's going through it's irresponsible to broadcast it to her audience, which she knows is on the younger side.

I have to wonder what her book will be like. I'm speaking as a writer myself (not published, but I've always loved doing it for fun), and when I saw Ruby's "writing routines" they always felt kind of strange to me. She'd sit down and bang out a certain number of words a day. I'm not trying to be mean here - I bet a lot of published writers do that to meet deadlines, and I myself have set alarms and told myself to write until the timer goes off... But her method seems weirdly clinical. I write when inspiration strikes me, and there's a million times a day when I get ideas and have to hastily write them down somewhere so I don't forget. I'm not saying Ruby can't be doing that, but to me she always seems to view writing as a task to tick off her list. Write x amount of words in a day, spend y amount of hours writing. At the risk of sounding like Anne of Green Gables, it never seems to have any whimsy or joy to it. I don't know if anyone feels the same but I thought it was interesting and I haven't seen anyone bring it up. I can see her making lots of "write with me" vlogs during her gap year.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

View attachment 1117434
It all makes sense! And she naturally thought "committee" was just a long-term commitment for people to send her tea.

I have to wonder what her book will be like. I'm speaking as a writer myself (not published, but I've always loved doing it for fun), and when I saw Ruby's "writing routines" they always felt kind of strange to me. She'd sit down and bang out a certain number of words a day. I'm not trying to be mean here - I bet a lot of published writers do that to meet deadlines, and I myself have set alarms and told myself to write until the timer goes off... But her method seems weirdly clinical. I write when inspiration strikes me, and there's a million times a day when I get ideas and have to hastily write them down somewhere so I don't forget. I'm not saying Ruby can't be doing that, but to me she always seems to view writing as a task to tick off her list. Write x amount of words in a day, spend y amount of hours writing. At the risk of sounding like Anne of Green Gables, it never seems to have any whimsy or joy to it. I don't know if anyone feels the same but I thought it was interesting and I haven't seen anyone bring it up. I can see her making lots of "write with me" vlogs during her gap year.
It's definitely a box-ticking task for her (like everything), and like her essays, her writing seems reverse engineered from other works.

Erimentha was ripped off from all the middle-grade bullying books she read at the time. People have surmised that she's writing a book called 'Counting Backwards', which may or may not be an ED book that rips off all the other ED books she's read. She's shown that she was writing something called "Wandering Willows" or something similar (I forget the exact title, but it was alliterative and nature-y) which was clearly her Secret Garden/Anne of Green Gables, 'young girls in nature' rip-off. She was writing a dark macademia book at one point.

Nothing wrong with taking inspiration from other works, but we've seen that Ruby doesn't stop at just taking inspiration, she goes all-out when cannibalising other works for ideas, and she approaches her writing projects just as superficially and fickly as her other fad interests. She also clearly doesn't enjoy reading, so it's all a bit daft.

We'll either get another self-insert "autobiographical" contemporary book that borrows heavily from other books she's "read", or a rip-off of the Victorian-era children's books she's read about rich girls frolicking in fields, and possibly something fantastical happens.

One of the dead giveaways that she doesn't have any real interest in writing is that she says she's always dreamed of being an author as though it's still a future goal, even though she's already written and published a novel. It's a tit one, granted, but she did it nonetheless, and one of the few things I'll hand to Ruby is that judging by the final product, she definitely didn't have any help from editors or ghostwriters (although she owes a debt to all the books she read and ripped off).

She's already in a position where she can afford to write full-time, has a large platform to market and publicise her books and can easily self-publish them to a wide audience. If she genuinely wanted to be a full-time author, she'd already be doing it. But she doesn't actually care about writing or having people read her work. She views being an author as not the act of writing, not even the final product itself, but having a traditional publisher give her money for it. She wants accolades and riches (because she has no real understanding of how little most authors made and expects she'll be the next J.K. Rowling, earning millions), she doesn't care about writing.

But it'll definitely be what she uses to replace "studying" once she graduates as something to fill a busywork schedule.

Her 'write with me' vlogs will be identical to her 'study with me' vlogs: It'll be Ruby staring at an unseen screen as a clock ticks away, while she "writes" for exactly one hour or less. There'll be lots of nebulous off-screen "research" (i.e. skimming other books/synopses for stuff to rip off, reading instructional books on writing) and lots of trips to Waterstones café to take up a table all day and buy nothing. Occasionally she'll film herself grinning and grimacing through a timelapse video call to her agent instead of her tutors. There'll be shoehorned, undeclared ads. There'll be no insight into her writing or her writing process, such as it is.

And in her case, academia and writing are interchangeable - both fake components of a manufactured personality, and she approaches them both the same way, cramming them into a slot on a schedule of mindless busywork, without joy or passion or any interest in improving or being remotely creative or original.

Reactions: 24
The thought of Ruby being left alone with any sort of power tools, trying to DIY anything gives me the chills! She would probably get her hair or long, flowy skirts tangled up in the machinery, injuring herself in the process. Just no.
Mummyyyyy!!! The big bad machine is bullying meeeeeee!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
And Ruby's back home for the weekend. How long was she in Exeter this time?

And Ruby's back home for the weekend. How long was she in Exeter this time?
After I read your post, this appeared on Facebook. It might be unfair to compare these very different circumstances, but I couldn't help thinking this is the exact opposite of Ruby.

1647029252447.png

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
A 11 year-old child who bravely travels across countries alone to escape war.
A 21 year-old woman who can't travel anywhere without her mummy holding her hand.
I think we can all agree Ruby has been wrapped up in cotton wool and has lived a very sheltered life, but you could say this about literally anyone who is currently living in a peaceful country and hasn’t had to escape from a war? Idk, I get the point now, I just don’t think it’s a fair comparison to make 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 27
I think we can all agree Ruby has been wrapped up in cotton wool and has lived a very sheltered life, but you could say this about literally anyone who is currently living in a peaceful country and hasn’t had to escape from a war? Idk, I get the point now, I just don’t think it’s a fair comparison to make 🤷‍♀️
Fair enough. I just saw 'Ruby's back home' on here, then immediately saw that post on Facebook, so my brain made an odd connection.

Reactions: 5
It all makes sense! And she naturally thought "committee" was just a long-term commitment for people to send her tea.

It's definitely a box-ticking task for her (like everything), and like her essays, her writing seems reverse engineered from other works.

We'll either get another self-insert "autobiographical" contemporary book that borrows heavily from other books she's "read", or a rip-off of the Victorian-era children's books she's read about rich girls frolicking in fields, and possibly something fantastical happens.

One of the dead giveaways that she doesn't have any real interest in writing is that she says she's always dreamed of being an author as though it's still a future goal, even though she's already written and published a novel.

She's already in a position where she can afford to write full-time, has a large platform to market and publicise her books and can easily self-publish them to a wide audience. If she genuinely wanted to be a full-time author, she'd already be doing it.
That's the thing — writing is a continuous process! In my opinion, it's about coming up with new ideas and writing weird and wacky stuff and creating little stories. Whereas Ruby only seems to write when she wants to complete a full-length book. To me it's like seeing an artist who doesn't doodle on scrap paper or draw little sketches, and instead only engages in it when they need to finish a full-length painting. Everyone's different though I suppose.

Where can I find out about Counting Backwards/Wandering Willows, btw? I possibly have missed any references to them in her videos. I worry about her writing a book about EDs. I am hoping for her recovery while worrying about the influence it'll have on her young, impressionable audience.

Also, off topic but I looked at her Goodreads and I have to say I find it very surprising Ruby is reading Carry On by Rainbow Rowell! I suppose the description makes it sound a bit more twee, what with the whole boarding school thing, but it definitely doesn't seem like her thing. It's a YA novel chock-full of teen drama and break-ups. There's also a good bit of swearing and references to sex/masturbation. It's also very much a romance with reviews describing it as being embued with "a heady shot of teenage lust."

(I also think it's kind of funny that the book is, in a roundabout way, a parody of Draco/Harry from Harry Potter, but that's a story for another day...)

Where can I find out about Counting Backwards/Wandering Willows, btw? I possibly have missed any references to them in her videos. I worry about her writing a book about EDs. I am hoping for her recovery while worrying about the influence it'll have on her young, impressionable audience.
There's not really any information, I think the most that's been seen is folders on her desktop when she's shown her laptop screen (I can't remember which videos unfortunately) and a mood playlist for Counting Backwards on her Spotify.

She's never really talked about or shown her writing after Erimentha Parker's Guide to Narcissism, aside from a writing vlog she did for an Edwardian Christmas book she was apparently writing (but was likely filled with distinctly Victorian stuff because Ruby).

Naturally, she doesn't really talk about her writing process, the story itself or anything remotely interesting, she just focuses on bragging about the number of words she's writing. And then she has another outbreak of dementia and proclaims that she's excited to be writing a middle-grade book because she's never written a Children's book before, despite Erimentha being advertised in the description.

I highly doubt she'll read Carry On, it'll be another book where she skims it, skips every subplot and "finishes" it in 15 minutes, or just reads a synopsis online.

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.