Ruby Granger #25 Leaving all the books unread, chasing sponsorships instead

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The "epistolarly" made me laugh. Kind of fits her weird pronounciation, too ("e-piss-tollury, almost rhymes with scholarly").

Reactions: 9
I feel like she's spending too much time checking the logic and structure in her dissertation? I mean, usually you make a plan beforehand and you make sure it flows logically, thematically or chronologically, and then you just re-read it? She's too close to the end to be focusing on that.

Reactions: 17
For sure I defo agree with you there, I suppose I just think we can become a bit hyperfixated on her weight here sometimes and end up thinking it’s a lot worse than it is

Reactions: 13
But she always starts her essays by creating a mind map. So, if true to her writing process, the structure was done first. We know she never lies about anything. Hint hint this was an ass-first dive into writing a dissertation.

Don't know about you guys, but my structure is chaotic only when:
1. I have no idea what I'm actually trying to say; or
2. Passages are cut and pasted to form the chapters/paragraphs.
3. When the content was in bullet point and then changed into sentences.
Why though? The Victorians are perfect, and can do no wrong (Bones 2022:19). Because you know her work is just jAnuenly so groundbreaking that everyone is going to reference it and that's why the disastertation's thesis statement is kept hidden.

Also it takes some special mental gymnastics and deep denial to see Carroll's (possible) child-grooming as gift-giving.

And words are deliberately misspelled because she is waiting for that grammarly ad content.

Shame you tapped out early, you missed the best bits! She left in footage where she runs back to pick up her camera after filming herself walking away--twice! It's the most animated she appears in the whole video.

And here we have a classic Rooboid interpretation of what it means to be consistent: sometimes 1 hour, sometimes 6

Reactions: 28
View attachment 1156031

The other trick is to just lie about everything.
Oh that's such toxic advice - implying that you not only have to be super productive all the time, but you also have to enjoy your work. Now I'm just picturing all those teenagers who idolize her reading this and then beating themselves up for not always enjoying their school work... The way she even puts "work" in quotation marks, ugh.

I don't believe in this myth that if you "love what you do", work doesn't feel like work. Work is work no matter how much you like your degree. Btw the same toxic bullshit is often used by companies/start-ups to justify overworking their employees.

And apart from that it's also just a recipe for unclear boundaries between work and relaxation, increased stress, and eventual burnout. Not that Ruby is exhibiting any of that, of course - Ruby is clearly doing just wonderful mental health-wise. No red flags at all

Reactions: 33
It was mentioned upthread that Ruby describes her book as Am I Normal Yet? meets another book I can't remember. AINY is an absolute banger of a book - the main character, Evie, isn't particularly focused on academics, but she does have OCD and anxiety; the book shows her journey through overwhelming intrusive thoughts incredibly well. In particular, she struggles with compulsive hand-washing; the narrative often comes back to the worsening of her hands as an externalisation of the decline in her mental state. It's hard-hitting, but not romanticising anxiety at all. One of Evie's two best friends is Lottie (!), a burned-out gifted kid who struggles with perfectionism.

One thing I noticed in the extract of Ruby's book was that each of the intrusive thoughts address Lottie by name - 'you're going to fail, Lottie' etc. This kind of repetition is used to great effect in Am I Normal Yet? It feels like Ruby's just Frankensteining a book out of a self-insert character and some good YA literature.

Reactions: 29
I’m thinking that’s one of the books that should be kept handy for purposes of comparison if Roobee ever does find a publisher, I smell another Opal Mehta debacle heading our way. (And I can’t wait )
p.s. you’re going to fail, Roobee

Reactions: 13
Ruby is just shameless in everything she does. I'll have a look at AINY though! I've been wanting to read that one for ages.

Reactions: 6
Oh wow and here I was getting ready to write a post about how I think Ruby's writing has improved cause I found that excerpt pretty strong. I specifically wanted to say I liked her use of repetition! So much for trusting Ruby to do anything by herself I guess.

Reactions: 6
Wow, she even stole the name for her character. Is there a less imaginative person than Roob with an E? I think part of the struggle for Ruby isn't the writing itself, but knowing enough about people to write convincing characters. Good writers are usually observant when it comes to other people: they notice details about behaviour, describe inner thoughts and feelings accurately and in a way that's relatable to their readers; plus they're good at portraying relationships between different characters.

I think Ruby takes a formulaic/rigid approach to the writing process and semi-plagiarises, not because she's a fraud, but because she's not capable of producing those kinds of observations on her own. She doesn't have the social awareness, imagination or direct experience. I feel like this comes across as really harsh & it would be nice if she could prove us wrong, but so far I haven't seen any evidence that Ruby can do anything other than copy.

Reactions: 23
Again, taking up a whole table and ordering one cup of tea.
It was reported across various news outlets today that Debrett’s have created an etiquette (pronounced AT-ti-quattay, obvs) guide for working from cafes. Two of the major faux pas are table hogging and not ordering food and/or drinks at regular intervals. Oh dear …

Reactions: 18
She got her food for the week (probably)
In her defense (lol I know, just indulge me this once), she’s going back home to mummy and daddy this week and may have odds and ends to use up before she leaves AXEter. Like, that’s what a normal person would do.

However, she’s sharing this right after being called out on her food account and her most recent youtube comments for promoting harmful eating behaviours, so it’s just as likely that she hasn’t had her full feed of ”omg Roobee y u so frail and elfin ” yet and wants to milk every drop of attention she can.

Reactions: 14
I think her legs look more than normal? Mine are skinnier, and I like wearing "big" booted shoes too. And I definitely don't have an ED.
Maybe so. But you're probably naturally slim whereas Ruby isn't; as evident from her older videos. I'm just showing my concern and her negative influence on younger viewers, that's all.

Definitely. An ED has no weight and I'm not trying to say everyone who is slim has an ED, but like I said in another reply, I'm just talking about Ruby. She used to be bigger, and she never was big or phat. I'm just saying she looks unhealthy in my opinion, when comparing her figure to her older videos. That's all.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.