Ruby Granger #23 Her workload‘s pure spuddle, let’s all twirl in a puddle!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Acceptance rates vary from course to course. Although they are on average higher than for BA programmes and PhD programmes, some courses are more competitive. The English literature MSt 1900-present has on average 193 applications and 65 places; the English and American Studies programme has 60 applications and 8 places. So even if highly qualified people apply, some won't get a place. Someone like Jack Edwards or Ruby would then easily miss the boat. Ruby is actually safer in the Victorian programme she's interested in... But even there, 18 applicants on average don't secure a place, and she could well be one of them.
Good luck with the exam!
I was gonna say, there will be a lot of different English Postgrad courses and it could be that Jack went for a really competitive one.

I do think that Ruby will go for something very impractical, and that will increase her chances of being accepted. Programmes that point clearly towards careers are going to be much more attractive overall as they look like they have better odds of paying off the investment.

Reactions: 11
At Oxford Ruby may be able to date a former Etonian... they wear tailcoats... Perhaps he would find it less odd :)
201608_FE_ETO_002-web.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I might be the odd one out, but I don't really mind the tailcoat that much 😅 I mean, at least not on its own - if styled properly and worn in appropriate circumstances, it can look decent. I'm usually all for people feeling their fantasy, but watching Ruby, detached from reality, posing in it, and making questionable choices in terms of clothes matching truly makes me cringe.

• Haha
I do like vintage clothing and styles but the tailcoat is just a bit odd for me- but I think it's just because I think of magicians and I thought Ruby looked like one in her first lookbook outfit. I don't know where she would be wearing but then for some reason, I can easily see her wearing it at university for some reason, it makes me think about when she did dress up for that university assignment, I think it was a presentation and she had a top hat. Hopefully she doesn't read here or I'd be expecting a photo with her in her tailcoat and top hat playing dress up and I might actually die😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
From what I've seen on the photos, the tail coat does fit her well in terms of size and cut, and in that way it looks good. But when, in today's society, are you going to wear such a thing, if you're not a magician, Etonian or conductor. People at Oxbridge (and in her environment perhaps) can dress in a posh manner, but that tailcoat is one step further.

Reactions: 15
lol I just wanted to make it clear I’m not going to stalk her 😅 You’re right though, in that if she ever had to worry about money at all, she’d shop somewhere else. But the odds are, it’s never even occurred to her, because she‘s never been short that amount of money, and she never will. Finland. University in the US though.
Few pages back but I'm teaching myself Finnish via duolingo and the sheer temptation to regurgitate the stuff I know at you is just OWVARWHYALMYING

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
From what I've seen on the photos, the tail coat does fit her well in terms of size and cut, and in that way it looks good. But when, in today's society, are you going to wear such a thing, if you're not a magician, Etonian or conductor. People at Oxbridge (and in her environment perhaps) can dress in a posh manner, but that tailcoat is one step further.
The thing is, you can wear stuff like that either ironically or seriously, and Ruby doesn’t seem to do irony so you can tell she wants to wear this seriously. Which she can’t, because a) she’s not a bloke and b) if she was proper posh she’d know that there aren’t that many occasions that call for tails and it’s a bit of a faux-pas to get it wrong. The fact that you wear them so rarely (unless you’re dressing up) is why they tend to be found in pretty good condition second-hand.

it looks like it fits her fine but i can’t get past the way the shoulders look😭 like she’s wearing those giant pads american footballers wear

Reactions: 5
Maybe I’m moving in the wrong circles, but I’ve never seen a tailcoat worn in real life, only in period dramas 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 18
Maybe I’m moving in the wrong circles, but I’ve never seen a tailcoat worn in real life, only in period dramas 🤷‍♀️
They're still worn in the classical music world, most notably in orchestras, by conductors, and sometimes by classical singers. There is also something called a 'morning coat', which is a tailcoat worn by men during daytime. It's become near obsolete, you'll only see morning coats at events like (British) weddings or on monarchs at official events.

But when, in today's society, are you going to wear such a thing, if you're not a magician, Etonian or conductor.
Don't forget circus ringleader. A fitting profession for Ruby since in every video she introduces us to a chaotic, overly dramatic staged performance prominently featuring a clown.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Honestly I could see ways you could make the tailcoat work by styling it cleverly but... Ruby is not styling it cleverly at all. Like instead of trying to make it look more 'fun'/'casual' (can you tell yet that I know nothing about fashion vocab), Ruby seemingly tries to dress it up by wearing it with other fancy/posh-looking pieces like a formal black skirt and white blouse, or that weird little scarf that looks like something a posh elder lady would wear for an outing to the theatre or something.

Or (my personal favourite, cause it's just so weird) that outfit where Ruby wears a very formal-looking black-and-white floral pattern dress under her tailcoat and it looks genuinely bizarre with the way the dress is sort of billowing out under the front section of the tailcoat. Like I don't know that much about fashion but I know that this is not fashion lmao.

They're still worn in the classical music world, most notably in orchestras, by conductors, and sometimes by classical singers. There is also something called a 'morning coat', which is a tailcoat worn by men during daytime. It's become near obsolete, you'll only see morning coats at events like (British) weddings or on monarchs at official events.
Whose weddings are you going to? 😮 I will give you the Royal Weddings, but I have been to many friends weddings in my time and never seen a tailcoat. People I know just tend to wear a nice suit 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
The general rule (unless you’re a Royal or an Etonian) is that you don’t wear a tailcoat in daylight, or before six. Generally they’re only for white tie evening events, which is like black tie but more formal. I mean, you can obviously wear one how you want and where you want, there’s no tailcoat police (although over a dress to go to Waitrose or lectures is … odd) but given that Ruby is an AT-iquette expert I would have thought she would have made reference to the history and such.

Reactions: 14
Guys, how do you all know so much about tailcoat etiquette?!

I am British, middle class, grew up in the Home Counties and have genuinely never heard of half this stuff or seen anyone wear a tail coat unless it’s on TV 😂 What is this world I’m apparently missing out on 😭

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Honestly I could see ways you could make the tailcoat work by styling it cleverly but... Ruby is not styling it cleverly at all. Like instead of trying to make it look more 'fun'/'casual' (can you tell yet that I know nothing about fashion vocab), Ruby seemingly tries to dress it up by wearing it with other fancy/posh-looking pieces like a formal black skirt and white blouse, or that weird little scarf that looks like something a posh elder lady would wear for an outing to the theatre or something.

Or (my personal favourite, cause it's just so weird) that outfit where Ruby wears a very formal-looking black-and-white floral pattern dress under her tailcoat and it looks genuinely bizarre with the way the dress is sort of billowing out under the front section of the tailcoat. Like I don't know that much about fashion but I know that this is not fashion lmao.
Yeah, if she went for a Rachel Maksy vibe of styling old-fashioned outfits in fun, creative ways to blend new and old, or just owning that tit in a cool, properly blended ensemble, she might pull off some of the weird clothing choices she goes for.

But fashion for Ruby is like everything else: She haphazardly throws it together with lazy disregard and no thought to how it will look. She just slaps on a top hat or tailcoat with whatever unironed, unwashed clothes she has to hand and doesn't change her general style in any way, so she always looks like a spoilt child with an aging disease who's been rummaging in a fancy dress closet.

I am British, middle class, grew up in the Home Counties and have genuinely never heard of half this stuff or seen anyone wear a tail coat unless it’s on TV 😂 What is this world I’m apparently missing out on 😭
I had an etiquette guide I used to read obsessively when I was 8 or so 😂 Even at that age, though, I knew very little of it would be applicable to my actual life, including most of the rules about when and how to wear what (though not all - which is why I cringe every time Roobee wears white with off-white, it just looks so horrible to me!) But I’ve never had trouble with cutlery or wine glasses in my life, so I guess that’s something.

Reactions: 8
The general rule (unless you’re a Royal or an Etonian) is that you don’t wear a tailcoat in daylight, or before six. Generally they’re only for white tie evening events, which is like black tie but more formal. I mean, you can obviously wear one how you want and where you want, there’s no tailcoat police (although over a dress to go to Waitrose or lectures is … odd) but given that Ruby is an AT-iquette expert I would have thought she would have made reference to the history and such.
Morning dress is the daytime tailcoat version of eveningwear.
Tuxedos, by the way, they're only for the evenings. Hence I always find it so silly when Americans, South Africans etc. wear those at daytime weddings... Anyway.

I read into these 'rules' once out of interest... perhaps after having seen tailcoats at a state event on TV or something, or at a concert.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.