Ruby Granger #23 Her workload‘s pure spuddle, let’s all twirl in a puddle!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just wondering, how would Oxford feel about her being on YouTube / social media and spending so much time dedicated to that considering their “no working rule” (have no idea if this applies for masters)
I know it’s not super strict but if her grades start falling would they be able to turn it against her?
she certainly won’t get the special treatment she does at Exeter for it if she did get in... would she be able to cope with not feeling special
They have no problem with Eve continuing to do YouTube whilst she's there, nor did they with Grace Beverley, so I assume they think it's fine for people to do YouTube.

Reactions: 14
They have no problem with Eve continuing to do YouTube whilst she's there, nor did they with Grace Beverley, so I assume they think it's fine for people to do YouTube.
Ah okay literally knew nothing about any of that so just wondered, thanks :)

Reactions: 1
Yeah it’s just traditional jobs they seem to take major issue with, being an influencer is absolutely fine apparently

Reactions: 17
I'd imagine it might become an issue if they thought that someone was spending more time on their videos than on their studies, and their grades were suffering.

Reactions: 9
I'd imagine it might become an issue if they thought that someone was spending more time on their videos than on their studies, and their grades were suffering.
The university does take action when someone is behind in their studies, but I don't think they would take the time to link this to being a Youtuber. The university would have to know that this student records Youtube videos, and know that a lot of time goes into it. Students can struggle with their degrees for lots of reasons. I think Youtube may only come up if the student discusses the lack of progress/low grades with their tutor, and the tutor asks what may be the cause of this.

Reactions: 10
I think it’s clear to anyone with eyeballs and half a brain that Ruby isn’t spending very much time on her videos at all 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Gosh, the banana tea rambling was unbearable. It’s impressive how little she really knows about anything! I would expect that a self-proclaimed tea-connoisseur would have more points of comparison than a monkey (banana/not banana) about taste. But, well, we all have seen her book reviews so I don’t know what I was really expecting tbh.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Catching up with the thread and I am baffled by the lack of understanding of a native English speaker, who is arguably well educated and "well read" (at least according to herself), when it comes to basic vocabulary. I could excuse some errors if they were happening during a live stream where she couldn't pause to check a dictionary but this is on Instagram and edited videos. All. The. Time.

Maybe the next thread title should be 'Ruby Granger #24: You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.'

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Gosh, the banana tea rambling was unbearable. It’s impressive how little she really knows about anything! I would expect that a self-proclaimed tea-connoisseur would have more points of comparison than a monkey (banana/not banana) about taste. But, well, we all have seen her book reviews so I don’t know what I was really expecting tbh.
Yeah and that section of the video was so funny cause it was completely obvious that she didn't like the tea, but couldn't/didn't want to say so cause I guess Birdandblend sponsors her or gifted her free stuff or whatever... Like her face clearly said "yikes, spit it out" but then she forced herself to unconvincingly lie about how she was just puzzled by the mystery banana taste. She's such a bad liar, it's hilarious xD

Reactions: 16
Yeah it’s just traditional jobs they seem to take major issue with, being an influencer is absolutely fine apparently
Isn't that kinda messed up though? They're fine with (wealthy) students vlogging to a large online audience how amazing/unique/dark macademia/whatever being a student at Oxford is (which is implicit advertisement I guess?) but someone who needs to work to support themselves is off the table?

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 45
Isn't that kinda messed up though? They're fine with (wealthy) students vlogging to a large online audience how amazing/unique/dark macademia/whatever being a student at Oxford is (which is implicit advertisement I guess?) but someone who needs to work to support themselves is off the table?
Exactly what I was thinking, I find this extremely worrying if it is the case.

One brings them good press so they're ok with it I guess.

• Angry
It’s super messed up tbh. Someone who went to Oxford with Grace Beverley came on her thread and said they even let her extend deadlines once or twice bc of her influencing job. However, she is a special case tbh, she applied twice to Oxford (missed her grades the first time round 🙃) and got in the second time to a college where the guy who was in charge of admissions taught her previously at junior Royal Academy of Music lmfao.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
It’s super messed up tbh. Someone who went to Oxford with Grace Beverley came on her thread and said they even let her extend deadlines once or twice bc of her influencing job. However, she is a special case tbh, she applied twice to Oxford (missed her grades the first time round 🙃) and got in the second time to a college where the guy who was in charge of admissions taught her previously at junior Royal Academy of Music lmfao.
Graduate students are not allowed to work, perhaps in the future this will include influencing as well, but the university has not (yet) incorporated this kind of work into their regulations. Perhaps it's a matter of time, perhaps it's because of the free publicity. Although I wonder if Oxbridge needs it - they get more applications than they have places anyway. If vlogs motivate talented students to apply, it could be a benefit to the uni.

Reactions: 8
I lost a lot of respect for Oxford now :p (not that they care but still). If they admit Roobs then that's gonna be it for me.

Reactions: 13
One brings them good press so they're ok with it I guess.
I would have thought that offering Ruby a place is the worst kind of press for them! They are allegedly all about intelligence and ability to think creatively and analytically and for oneself. After the first year undergrad, you get low marks if you don’t already start to show your own thoughts and new perspectives. And this would be at a masters level.

Reactions: 11
Ruby would have a hard time at Oxford, but still, it'd be better for her to apply for that MSt (taught masters), with a dissertation of 10,000 words, instead of going for an MPhil at another university, with a dissertation of about 30,000 words or more (depending on the subject and university). We've seen how much she struggles with the Carroll dissertation.

Reactions: 15
Oxford seems to allow grad students to vlog (see TheRedHeadAcademic’s Oxford vlogs, for example).

And to whoever said Oxford’s masters are sometimes considered “cash cows” in the world of academia, you’re absolutely right! When I was applying for grad school, I was advised by trusted professors to accept another MA program’s offer over Oxford’s. That said, Oxford’s MSt program is still rigorous and will enhance their graduates’ PhD applications (but not guarantee admittance anywhere). It also looks good on resumes for non-academic jobs, though work experience is most important.

If Ruby did/ does get into Oxford, I imagine she’ll struggle to stay on top of her work while creating content and running her business. She may also feel like a small fish in a big pond, which could be difficult to deal with as someone used to being told she’s exceptional.

Reactions: 19
Yes but the real question here is: Will Ruby erect a Holocaust memorial in Oxford if they let her in? 🤔
After all, she did promise that she's going to build those monuments "after her graduation" so...

(No, I'm still not over that whole thing)

• Haha
Yes but the real question here is: Will Ruby erect a Holocaust memorial in Oxford if they let her in? 🤔
After all, she did promise that she's going to build those monuments "after her graduation" so...

(No, I'm still not over that whole thing)
No, but she will be performing a dramatic reading of 'Franziska Mikus: A Ruby Granger Story' in exchange for sizable donations.

• Haha
  • Sick
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.