Ruby Granger #22 I can’t relate to Sun Tzu, and neither should you.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I find it interesting that Rooby regards herself as a "highly effective student". Top marks Rooby for grading your own paper!

It's also going to be very interesting to see what happens if she manages to secure any sort of internship. She'll be eaten alive - especially if she finds herself in the situation where several interns are competing for a permanent post.

First of all, the internship will have to be at a location close to her family home - unless she is going to commute every day in Daddy Bones' pocket?

Having never had a proper job in 22 years, a work environment is going to come as a rude awakening to her. I can just imagine her wasting her time on all sorts of non-essential activity, as deadlines pile up around her. Her emails will be 4000 words in length, and any correspondence she sends will be covered in old newspaper as its ASS-THETIC.

Fun times ahead. For us - not for Rooby.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Thank you to @hart301 for the amazing thread title!

Ruby's still at it with her sponsorships of products she 'always uses', questionable food content, and idolisation of Victorian era life. She spends 80% of her time at home even though she has a student house in Exeter which she shares with her very favourite friend Blakeney, and she refuses to grow up.
The thing I love most about the thread title is the triple rhymes, including the thread number!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
In response to username21, i went to a uni VERY similar to Exeter, e.g russell group and did a humanities degree, and they don't have exams till around May-June. Also she mentioned around November was 'deadline season', its not. She would have had one summative assignment per module, just like she will have towards the middle-end of this term.

Also is there any sign that she is back at uni yet?
I’m in second year for a Russell group, also doing a humanities degree, and we’ve got first semester exams next week and the one following so it could be? I also had a lot of November deadlines for coursework so it is possible (I’m not at Exeter)

Reactions: 2
I find it interesting that Rooby regards herself as a "highly effective student". Top marks Rooby for grading your own paper!
For the title, she just ripped off referenced the title of popular '90s self-help book 'The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People' and probably patted herself on the back for weeks over how clever she thought she was for that super-deep literary cut.

Nd9GcQMCSZJrLEJJFSXhz7BjOYpMhPGY_Vhgs0r8Q&usqp=CAU.jpg

Ruby skimmed this book at some point (or 'The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens' spin-off, anyway) and misunderstood/misapplied what little it had to offer.

But in the video itself, Ruby gives her opinion of herself an upgrade, and says the video she's made offers "7 habits for HIGHLY successful students". She doesn't actually say who those students are, exactly, but they certainly ain't Ruby.

I'm sure she thought that video and others like it would be her ticket to her own study book, since she threw it up right as Jade was advertising her upcoming tit-show of a book which must've made ol' Rubes pretty jealous.

Only...if you're going to make a video touting how effective and successful you are, and then in the first 15 seconds, you do this:

Ruby: "This video is koiyndly sponsored boiy JetBrains."
(Cut to new footage of Ruby in a different outfit, some time before/after)
Ruby: "I ALSO wanted to jump on quickly to say that tyooday's video is VARRY koiyndly sponsored boiy JetBrains."

...Well, if you repeat a line twice because you paid no attention while editing, you're not exactly making the best case for yourself as someone capable of using your brain, let alone a highly effective student.

The irony is that The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People has an entire section that borrows and builds on the old "measure twice, cut once" proverb and applies it to visualising and accomplishing a goal. Whereas Ruby's approach to filming and editing is "never measure, close your eyes, blindly cut wherever".

This is also the video where Ruby claimed to have a huge interest in learning to code, purely because she needed to shoehorn the sponsor in.

16fc4d79587b70dc8c0e608b48f8cafa.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 16

I hope ruby finally does her dissertation on dickinson's letters and has to comment this particular part lol

• Haha
Reactions: 36
For the title, she just ripped off referenced the title of popular '90s self-help book 'The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People' and probably patted herself on the back for weeks over how clever she thought she was for that super-deep literary cut.
Stephen Covey wrote his book, based on a lot of research into what really successful people do, noted the similarities between their approaches, and synthesised this down into some easily digestible lessons that could be applied to anyone's working methods.

Rooby, however, - decides of her own accord that she is a "highly effective student" who is therefore in a position to mete out advice to others, and makes a mash-up of all her weirdo habits, presenting them to us as if she's just stepped down from Mount Sinai (not the hospital - or, in fact, maybe so...)

DANCING IN A FIELD WILL NOT MAKE YOU "HIGHLY EFFECTIVE", KIDS! It will though, rattle your brain to the extent your Shatner's bassoon gets ruined.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I can't even try to compete with the gloriously thorough recap by Gossip Guy, but here’s a quick summary of Ruby wisdom.

Life Coach Hour with Roovi:
HALLO ROOVI IN WONDERLAND.
  1. I never thought to drink water before. I’d previously been existing with all the hydration of a freeze-dried piece of astronaut food, but thanks to your content I know better. Drink water…so much pithy wisdom. Almost like Sun Tzu…
  2. Great plan. Give yourself extra pointless research while you’re struggling to meet your deadlines, do all your set reading and write your dissertation. No dissertation, no exam prep, but at least you’ll know all about the wine trade during the French Revolution. How could any employer resist this sort of general knowledge!
  3. Add a monthly list to your yearly, weekly and daily lists and then consolidate your monthly lists into one simple monthly-yearly list. Do your academic monthly, admin monthly and hydration monthly lists and then consolidate these into one easy themey-monthly-yearly list.
  4. It doesn’t matter if your essays are good or not – as long as you’re happy with them.
  5. If you haven’t singlehandedly felled an entire forest with the paper for your letter writing campaign then are you even trying? Every household in the country should have a Ruvi letter by the end of 2022. Anything less would be failure. To-Do: buy more wax seals.
  6. Do more memorials. Especially Holocaust memorials. One in every household.
  7. I genuinely always start editing a book before it has been written, just to make sure that it gets written properly prior to it being written.
  8. Coming Soon! A book-related video in which Ruby accidentally sets fire to a book with a bendy candle(stick). Coming soon! Another book-related video in which Ruby stands on a stack of books to make herself change size like Alice in Wonderland. Coming soon! Another book-related video filmed in the hospital where Ruby is recovering from her book-related injury (falling off a stack of books).
  9. If you want to be Empowered, be sure to read more books with ‘Empowered’ in the title. Here’s one my friend made earlier.
  10. Always abbreviate A Little Princess to ALP so that people don’t notice you’re talking about a children’s book instead of an alpine expedition.
  11. Read ALP while rock climbing, just to confuse your viewers even more.
  12. Coming soon! A book-related video filmed in the hospital where Ruby is recovering from a rock-climbing-reading accident. Also featuring Blakeney, who is also in hospital recovering from concussion after being hit on the head by a falling ALP while belaying for Ruby.
  13. Declutter shoes. Personally, I hate it when my shoes get filled with clutter: pine needles from long-deceased Christmas trees, wilted flower petals, New Yorker clippings, dead flies, Oxford University keychains. So I make extra sure to declutter them regularly.
  14. Diss supervisers can be intimidating. Just the word ‘diss’ is enough to make Ruby start quaking in her decluttered boots. To remedy this, she is going to stalk their research papers for conversation topics. She will keep us all updated on her progress, and their productive chat about eyesight.
  15. Advice to ‘use a planner’ can be seen next to ‘NANNY STATE – Mary Poppins Returns’. The connection between these two things is unclear, however Rooibos will no doubt inform us in due time.
  16. The diss superviser needs to be appeased with critical reading, so do more of this to be extra critical. They will then supervise your diss to make sure it’s critical enough.
  17. Go outside. If you’re agoraphobic – go outside. If you’re inside – go outside. A simple piece of timeless wisdom. The Art of Walking Outside.
  18. ‘Fix your sleep schedule’ appears in a whimsical bubble over a hard-hitting paragraph about dead babies, genocide of Yazidis and ISIS. Hyper-literate Ruby has read The New Yorker from cover to cover, so this was clearly the most appropriate page to annotate. The connection between these two things is unclear, however Ruby is possibly implying that ISIS have not been getting enough sleep and this would naturally cause them to do some murdering. Poor guys are probably dehydrated too.
  19. Switch off – but not your lights, your appliances or your devices. It’s only your brain that you’re switching off.
  20. Staying up-to-date with current affairs is important to all of us, and in this spirit, Ruby would like to remind us about ‘levelling up’ while Boris Johnson is still in the headlines. Using this strategic Tory slogan while the government is trending and popular is an astute move and not unlike the advice you’d find in The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Prince Charles’ Holocaust Memorial: Commissions seven portraits of survivors.
Roobee’s Holocaust Memorial: Takes last year’s Holocaust Memorial ad money plus all the ad profits she’s promised to various charities, makes a form on Google to try and find survivors willing to sit for a portrait, but no one fills out the form, so she goes to her other form and selects seven tea-loving tweens who may or may not have been bullied in year 7, finds artists on Fiverr, pockets the rest of the money as compensation for having been so very efficient and going to such lengths.
edit: tweens, year 7, whatever, it’s been a long day ok?!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Actually, the point I made about not needing a reminder to drink water is hypocritical because that's exactly how I'm measuring my water intake right now. 😂 In fairness, it's a big part of the 'kidney decluttering' I'm forced to do to shift the stone. It involves separating the day into 3-hour segments and drinking a set amount of water in that time, plus a 'fun' drink (i.e. anything that's not water). It also involves walking around muttering 'damn stone!' and wiggling about like Beyonce (only deeply unappealing) in an attempt to dislodge stone. I guess that'd count as 'movement' on Ruby's list of habits. Oh, and once stone emerges I'm going to tick 'Produce Stone' and 'Have a Productive Kidney' off my to-do list. The sense of achievement is real.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Anyone want to take a shot at doing a synopsis of Rooby's new book? I'll start:

Clarissa Bassington-Sstench (both "S"s are silent and it is actually pronounced "Tory-tax evader") is a highly gifted girl (she's actually a fully grown adult, and has been for four years, but what the hey) who is attending a prestigious university. [She failed to get into Oxford, but we will not mention that - ah, oops, I just did] She finds university life a struggle at first, as all her lectures and seminars are filled with people who are not as clever as she is, and what's worse, some of those nasties actually went to ghastly state schools. Clarissa B-S rises above the dross though, triumphing in her studies, although she does deign to attend a student party at one point, where she absolutely refuses to drink, smoke, take drugs, or have sex, which is what all parties require one to do at some point in the evening.

Despite her top grades, Clarissa B-S feels lonely at times, because nobody is on a par with her big brain. At first she tries to dull it by giving herself whiplash, spinning round in a field. Then she tries to befriend some of her university lecturers, but they are not on her level either, and two of them end up retiring after they realise that in comparison to Clarissa, they know nothing at all about their subject, despite both being Nobel prize winners.

In a sub-plot that goes nowhere, Clarissa's little brother, Fauntleroy B-S drops out of his (far less) prestigious university as he decides he will chance his luck as a chess grandmaster.

Back at Tory Towers, Clarissa decides she cannot sully her hands any longer mixing with common people on campus, and completes her studies at the family mansion, where she barricades herself in as an attempt to stop the older of the Rees-Mogg boys from wooing her with his beautiful penmanship.

THE END. (and you will want to end it all)

• Haha
Reactions: 35

Clarissa Bassington-Sstench (both "S"s are silent and it is actually pronounced "Tory-tax evader") is a highly gifted girl (she's actually a fully grown adult, and has been for four years, but what the hey) who is attending a prestigious university. [She failed to get into Oxford, but we will not mention that - ah, oops, I just did] She finds university life a struggle at first, as all her lectures and seminars are filled with people who are not as clever as she is, and what's worse, some of those nasties actually went to ghastly state schools. Clarissa B-S rises above the dross though, triumphing in her studies, although she does deign to attend a student party at one point, where she absolutely refuses to drink, smoke, take drugs, or have sex, which is what all parties require one to do at some point in the evening.

Despite her top grades, Clarissa B-S feels lonely at times, because nobody is on a par with her big brain. At first she tries to dull it by giving herself whiplash, spinning round in a field. Then she tries to befriend some of her university lecturers, but they are not on her level either, and two of them end up retiring after they realise that in comparison to Clarissa, they know nothing at all about their subject, despite both being Nobel prize winners.

In a sub-plot that goes nowhere, Clarissa's little brother, Fauntleroy B-S drops out of his (far less) prestigious university as he decides he will chance his luck as a chess grandmaster.

Back at Tory Towers, Clarissa decides she cannot sully her hands any longer mixing with common people on campus, and completes her studies at the family mansion, where she barricades herself in as an attempt to stop the older of the Rees-Mogg boys from wooing her with his beautiful penmanship.

I need this book in full. Right now, please.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
All, as per the rules don't try to police the thread and say what's acceptable to post. If you're concerned with a post hit report and let us deal with it. Thanks

Reactions: 10

Erimentha Parker's To-Do List 2: A Most Productive Dickensian Adventure.

Years after Erimentha Parker narrowly survived her savage school bullying trauma at the hands of Joanna (even Ruby's forgotten the name of the bully whose name she couldn't keep straight in the first book), Erimentha Parker is enrolled at Axatar University, which is identical to Exeter University in all but name.

Her brother died between books from a degenerative brain disease; the doctors said his brain was just too small to power his lumbering, uncoordinated body any more.

Ruby writes an entire chapter about how Erimentha was affected by his death, but this is mostly about how inconvenienced Erimentha was by having to attend the funeral when she had so much critical reading to complete.

However, every member of the family personally thanked and praised Erimentha for putting up for her brother as long as she did, and also for her eulogy, which was the most beautiful speech any of them had ever heard, and even made the local news. The eulogy was mostly about Erimentha's many accomplishments.

Ruby does not mention Erimentha's brother by name at any point in this chapter, since she forgot what she called him in the first book and can't be bothered to look it up, and he's not important anyway. He is never mentioned again.

After completing college with a record-breaking 24 A Levels - 23 A*s and 1 A which she got a lower grade for intentionally to stay humble and grounded - Erimentha was offered a place at Oxford. But as much as they begged her and pleaded with her to accept a place, Erimentha rejected Oxford so that she could bestow her wisdom upon students at a lesser school who needed the fruit of her vast knowledge and boundless intelligence that much more.

She's now in her final year at Axatar Uni, living off-campus with her best friend Binkly, who is constantly asking Erimentha for fashion advice and help with her studies, which Erimentha happily does.

Even though Erimentha in her fourth year, she has somehow already graduated three times with five different undergrad degrees, but has chosen to stay on for an extra year to study science, and her final project is a homemade particle collider which she whipped up in a couple of weeks with sustainable, recycled materials she found around campus.

When she turns on the particle collider, Erimentha is hurled back in time! Ruby wastes an entire three page's worth of synonyms describing what the sound of time travel is like before establishing that Erimentha is in the Victorian era.

Here Ruby accidentally copies and pastes an entire chapter from the first book into the sequel. Ruby will later claim that this was intentional - "It's a flashback scene! 🙈 haha!" - although the pasted chapter is completely unrelated to anything in the sequel. Ruby then changes her story for this erroneous chapter and claims that it's literary experiment to represent the result of time travel in the story. She then blocks anyone who asks further questions.

The next chapter of Erimentha Parker 2 is actually the first chapter again, but with a different chapter number and title.

The chapter that follows is just the month of June from Pumpkin Productivity's 2021 Academic Planner.

After four more chapters of blank pages, the book abruptly ends with a "To be continued..."

When people who paid £17.99 for an incomplete book complain to Ruby, she ignores them for several days before announcing that because the rest of Erimentha Parker 2 was so highly requested, it will now be released as monthly chapters on the Pumpkin Productivity website as a cost of £24.99 per chapter, increasing by £5 incrementally with each new chapter.

The price for the previous chapter will also increase by £10 each month, too, so if you don't buy them right away, you'll pay substantially more for every chapter the longer you leave it.

People who are stupid enough to buy this next chapter wait several months after the release date before receiving a blank lined notebook with a letter from Ruby inviting them to "create their own chapter!" as Erimentha Parker 2 is now an interactive storytelling experience!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
2EC40057-B562-4379-BF12-AC2ECD97B930.jpeg

how convenient that this is the first thing i see when i open tiktok - i guess roobs is more like her idol than we thought!

Reactions: 12
I'm just catching up - Ruby collecting all this information about her audience is a safeguarding nightmare.

She would really benefit from doing some befriending volunteer work - maybe mentoring a younger person. It would really help broaden her view on life and how privileged she really is.

Reactions: 15
I have always found it strange that people like Ruby get such a god-complex from being a reader. Like... it's just a fun hobby? Also it doesn't make you better than anyone else. Like any sort of visual media, books can either be trashy or highfalutin. It's not that deep. I studied English Lit at a university, and now I literally work in publishing. (Suck on that, Roobee! I am PAID to read tit.) Today I proofread a trashy sex-scene in a book that's hitting YOUR shelves this March. I guess that makes ME better than all of you? Ya know... since I am reader and all.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.