Ruby Granger #22 I can’t relate to Sun Tzu, and neither should you.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have always found it strange that people like Ruby get such a god-complex from being a reader. Like... it's just a fun hobby? Also it doesn't make you better than anyone else. Like any sort of visual media, books can either be trashy or highfalutin. It's not that deep. I studied English Lit at a university, and now I literally work in publishing. (Suck on that, Roobee! I am PAID to read tit.) Today I proofread a trashy sex-scene in a book that's hitting YOUR shelves this March. I guess that makes ME better than all of you? Ya know... since I am reader and all.
The only readers who deserve to feel like Gods are those who got through 'Erimentha Parker's To Do List'.

Side note: That is an awesome job! Was it a career you entered fresh out of uni or did you work up to it through other jobs? I only ask because it's an industry I'm super interested in. ^^

I love that reference, especially because she won't get it
"Read Oscar Wilde they say? But wasn't he-? Oh I shan't say the word..."

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Side note: That is an awesome job! Was it a career you entered fresh out of uni or did you work up to it through other jobs? I only ask because it's an industry I'm super interested in. ^^
I got the job six months after graduation. Honestly, I was strongly considering changing career paths because I didn't think I would get an English Lit-related job. I applied to about 40 publishing-specific positions before I got this one... And this doesn't even include all the other writing-related positions that I was rejected from Every. Single. Day. I applied to about 400 jobs before I got this one. (Yes, it was horrible.)

I got the job (I think?) because I was an English tutor for kids/teens. I would write my own lessons (on grammar, reading, writing, and vocabulary) to supplement what the kids might learn in school. Because my current publishing job involves a lot of proofreading, the tutoring job really taught me all those nitty-gritty grammar rules.

However, my background is a bit unorthodox for someone in publishing. Most people do a ton of internships during uni to land a publishing job after graduation. I didn't do any during my time in uni because the pay for internships sucks. So it's a miracle that I landed my current job.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I got the job six months after graduation. Honestly, I was strongly considering changing career paths because I didn't think I would get an English Lit-related job. I applied to about 40 publishing-specific positions before I got this one... And this doesn't even include all the other writing-related positions that I was rejected from Every. Single. Day. I applied to about 400 jobs before I got this one. (Yes, it was horrible.)

I got the job (I think?) because I was an English tutor for kids/teens. I would write my own lessons (on grammar, reading, writing, and vocabulary) to supplement what the kids might learn in school. Because my current publishing job involves a lot of proofreading, the tutoring job really taught me all those nitty-gritty grammar rules.

However, my background is a bit unorthodox for someone in publishing. Most people do a ton of internships during uni to land a publishing job after graduation. I didn't do any during my time in uni because the pay for internships sucks. So it's a miracle that I landed my current job.
Thanks for the response! I suppose it has the same problems as most graduate industries then. Props to you for being so diligent in the face of so many rejections - that's honestly really inspiring. ^^

Reactions: 13
I love that reference, especially because she won't get it
She made a big show last year about how 💫✨#grateful💫✨ she was for being able to study The Picture of Dorian Gray in her Victorian module, so she’s at least read the Sparknotes.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Hello! Long time lurker here. This is sort of wildly off-topic, but I can’t help but voice my opinion about something Ruby does/used to do, especially during her Hermione obsession. Ruby strikes me as one of those odd (especially American 😂 people) who obsess over everything British. The accents, “poshness”, tea (definitely Rubes), all (in my humble American opinion) of which seem like narrow stereotypes of Londoners or something of the sort. Don’t ask me why, but over the past few days I’ve watched the two Livestream Q and A’s Ruby has on her channel from five years ago. One particular comment struck me as very odd (mind you, the livestreams are extremely odd to begin with 😂). She was talking about the clothing brand Boden and said “I love their stuff; it’s so British”. I mean, maybe I’m the crazy one, but I could never imagine myself saying “I love this brand of clothing, their stuff is so American”. Maybe I’m digging too deep on this. Just a funny comment that made me think twice 🤣

Reactions: 18
Erimentha Parker's To-Do List 2: A Most Productive Dickensian Adventure.

Years after Erimentha Parker narrowly survived her savage school bullying trauma at the hands of Joanna (even Ruby's forgotten the name of the bully whose name she couldn't keep straight in the first book), Erimentha Parker is enrolled at Axatar University, which is identical to Exeter University in all but name.

Her brother died between books from a degenerative brain disease; the doctors said his brain was just too small to power his lumbering, uncoordinated body any more.

Ruby writes an entire chapter about how Erimentha was affected by his death, but this is mostly about how inconvenienced Erimentha was by having to attend the funeral when she had so much critical reading to complete.

However, every member of the family personally thanked and praised Erimentha for putting up for her brother as long as she did, and also for her eulogy, which was the most beautiful speech any of them had ever heard, and even made the local news. The eulogy was mostly about Erimentha's many accomplishments.

Ruby does not mention Erimentha's brother by name at any point in this chapter, since she forgot what she called him in the first book and can't be bothered to look it up, and he's not important anyway. He is never mentioned again.

After completing college with a record-breaking 24 A Levels - 23 A*s and 1 A which she got a lower grade for intentionally to stay humble and grounded - Erimentha was offered a place at Oxford. But as much as they begged her and pleaded with her to accept a place, Erimentha rejected Oxford so that she could bestow her wisdom upon students at a lesser school who needed the fruit of her vast knowledge and boundless intelligence that much more.

She's now in her final year at Axatar Uni, living off-campus with her best friend Binkly, who is constantly asking Erimentha for fashion advice and help with her studies, which Erimentha happily does.

Even though Erimentha in her fourth year, she has somehow already graduated three times with five different undergrad degrees, but has chosen to stay on for an extra year to study science, and her final project is a homemade particle collider which she whipped up in a couple of weeks with sustainable, recycled materials she found around campus.

When she turns on the particle collider, Erimentha is hurled back in time! Ruby wastes an entire three page's worth of synonyms describing what the sound of time travel is like before establishing that Erimentha is in the Victorian era.

Here Ruby accidentally copies and pastes an entire chapter from the first book into the sequel. Ruby will later claim that this was intentional - "It's a flashback scene! 🙈 haha!" - although the pasted chapter is completely unrelated to anything in the sequel. Ruby then changes her story for this erroneous chapter and claims that it's literary experiment to represent the result of time travel in the story. She then blocks anyone who asks further questions.

The next chapter of Erimentha Parker 2 is actually the first chapter again, but with a different chapter number and title.

The chapter that follows is just the month of June from Pumpkin Productivity's 2021 Academic Planner.

After four more chapters of blank pages, the book abruptly ends with a "To be continued..."

When people who paid £17.99 for an incomplete book complain to Ruby, she ignores them for several days before announcing that because the rest of Erimentha Parker 2 was so highly requested, it will now be released as monthly chapters on the Pumpkin Productivity website as a cost of £24.99 per chapter, increasing by £5 incrementally with each new chapter.

The price for the previous chapter will also increase by £10 each month, too, so if you don't buy them right away, you'll pay substantially more for every chapter the longer you leave it.

People who are stupid enough to buy this next chapter wait several months after the release date before receiving a blank lined notebook with a letter from Ruby inviting them to "create their own chapter!" as Erimentha Parker 2 is now an interactive storytelling experience!
Erimentha Parker's notion pages, to-do list, timetable, academic planner, yearly planner, notebook, kindness journal, master to-do list, mini master to-do list, study planner, productivity planner, stress tracker, and meal plan.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
All, as per the rules don't try to police the thread and say what's acceptable to post. If you're concerned with a post hit report and let us deal with it. Thanks
I can't find the report button on mobile

Reactions: 1

Honestly this is what Ruby doesn’t realise. She thinks she’s just gonna waltz into whatever job she wants after she graduates and it’s like no honey, you have no skills and your status as a studytuber is really not as attractive to an employer than you probably think it is.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Hello! Long time lurker here. This is sort of wildly off-topic, but I can’t help but voice my opinion about something Ruby does/used to do, especially during her Hermione obsession. Ruby strikes me as one of those odd (especially American 😂 people) who obsess over everything British. The accents, “poshness”, tea (definitely Rubes), all (in my humble American opinion) of which seem like narrow stereotypes of Londoners or something of the sort. Don’t ask me why, but over the past few days I’ve watched the two Livestream Q and A’s Ruby has on her channel from five years ago. One particular comment struck me as very odd (mind you, the livestreams are extremely odd to begin with 😂). She was talking about the clothing brand Boden and said “I love their stuff; it’s so British”. I mean, maybe I’m the crazy one, but I could never imagine myself saying “I love this brand of clothing, their stuff is so American”. Maybe I’m digging too deep on this. Just a funny comment that made me think twice 🤣
Tbh, as an American, I can totally imagine some southern-belle type of girl saying “I love this brand, it’s so all-American“

Reactions: 9
I have always found it strange that people like Ruby get such a god-complex from being a reader.
On the subject of the "God-complex" - I was listening to the podcast "shelf life" the other night, and the discussion was the life of Stephen Tennant. For this of you unfamiliar with him, he was a famous British aristocrat who was one of the "Bright Young Things" and the inspiration for both Lord Merlin and Lord Sebastian Flyte.

The discussion on the podcast focused on how he was so wealthy that he was completely insulated from reality. He'd wander about his family estate with glitter in his hair, wearing the most outre outfits, and faint every time he saw a flower because (like Autumn) it was just so beautiful. When he did venture out beyond the mansion gates people would stare at his extraordinary clothing and head gear, and often make caustic remarks. He did not imagine they were "bullying" him though, he assumed (because of his great wealth and his assumption that all the lower orders were there simply to serve and admire him) that they were merely trying to engage him in conversation.

Poor old Stephen, unable to function in the real world, retired to his bed - for seventeen years. Going outside made him "too giddy' (that's what spinning around a field will do to you). And for the remainder of his life he worked on a novel that was never finished and never published.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28

Same here. I got my job (editor at a university) because I've been teaching tutorials at uni for years. In addition, I worked my butt off as a research assistant during my undergrad and graduate degree. There's no way I could have waltzed in as a studytuber.

Reactions: 9
On the subject of the "God-complex" - I was listening to the podcast "shelf life" the other night, and the discussion was the life of Stephen Tennant. For this of you unfamiliar with him, he was a famous British aristocrat who was one of the "Bright Young Things" and the inspiration for both Lord Merlin and Lord Sebastian Flyte.

The discussion on the podcast focused on how he was so wealthy that he was completely insulated from reality. He'd wander about his family estate with glitter in his hair, wearing the most outre outfits, and faint every time he saw a flower because (like Autumn) it was just so beautiful. When he did venture out beyond the mansion gates people would stare at his extraordinary clothing and head gear, and often make caustic remarks. He did not imagine they were "bullying" him though, he assumed (because of his great wealth and his assumption that all the lower orders were there simply to serve and admire him) that they were merely trying to engage him in conversation.

Poor old Stephen, unable to function in the real world, retired to his bed - for seventeen years. Going outside made him "too giddy' (that's what spinning around a field will do to you). And for the remainder of his life he worked on a novel that was never finished and never published.
I was totally born in the wrong era and class.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I was totally born in the wrong era and class.
Tennant.jpg

Stephen Tennant, when times were good. I believe these are "New Yorker" magazines which he is twirling with for the sheer ASS-THATIC.

tennantjpg-1.jpg

Stephen Tennant later in life, taken to his bed, still living at home, still writing his "novel". Although, in fairness to him, this is David Hockney who has come to visit him.

Reactions: 16
View attachment 988344
Stephen Tennant, when times were good. I believe these are "New Yorker" magazines which he is twirling with for the sheer ASS-THATIC.

View attachment 988347

Stephen Tennant later in life, taken to his bed, still living at home, still writing his "novel". Although, in fairness to him, this is David Hockney who has come to visit him.
Stop posting pictures of Ruby’s house, it’s bullying.

• Haha
Reactions: 16

Thanks for the tip, that was a fun podcast! :)

Reactions: 6
Wow, that's really interesting. I'll check out the podcast. Imagine being the inspiration for Lord Merlin AND Sebastian Flyte. I can totally see where the influence for Brideshead Revisited came from, but I always pictured Lord Merlin being more worldly than that.

Completely off-topic, but does anyone here remember the Fulford family who were in a couple of documentary series in the UK? They were nuts. Always trying to save their crumbling estate, leaking money, and incapable of any kind of practical sense. They had some feral kids & nearly poisoned them with an uncooked chicken (maybe a turkey?). Lord Fulford constantly spewed ''thoughts'' - e.g. 'gays are alright but you don't want them in your family' - that made him sound like a UKIP spokesman. At one point he got so desperate for cash, he began scouring the grounds of his estate with a metal detector looking for money. Now that was great TV.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Wow, that's really interesting. I'll check out the podcast. Imagine being the inspiration for Lord Merlin AND Sebastian Flyte. I can totally see where the influence for Brideshead Revisited came from, but I always pictured Lord Merlin being more worldly than that.

Completely off-topic, but does anyone here remember the Fulford family who were in a couple of documentary series in the UK? They were nuts. Always trying to save their crumbling estate, leaking money, and incapable of any kind of practical sense. They had some feral kids & nearly poisoned them with an uncooked chicken (maybe a turkey?). Lord Fulford constantly spewed ''thoughts'' - e.g. 'gays are alright but you don't want them in your family' - that made him sound like a UKIP spokesman. At one point he got so desperate for cash, he began scouring the grounds of his estate with a metal detector looking for money. Now that was great TV.
Yes omg I remember seeing it on youtube, they were honestly appalling hahah.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.