Ruby Granger #22 I can’t relate to Sun Tzu, and neither should you.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The notice at the bottom of the page saying 'it's time for a new thread' and 'please someone create the new thread' is making me feel called out. 😅

Also, did Ruby ever mention her reasons for switching from theology and philosophy to English? Because her interest in religion seems more genuine than her bookworm persona. I keep forgetting that she must have applied for theology/philosophy at Oxford rather than English, so the interview won't have involved discussing literary texts.
I dont know if she'd be successful for theology because they'd be able to see she only did it for a year and then switched to English. not a great way of showing interest.

Reactions: 1
The notice at the bottom of the page saying 'it's time for a new thread' and 'please someone create the new thread' is making me feel called out. 😅

Also, did Ruby ever mention her reasons for switching from theology and philosophy to English? Because her interest in religion seems more genuine than her bookworm persona. I keep forgetting that she must have applied for theology/philosophy at Oxford rather than English, so the interview won't have involved discussing literary texts.
she actually applied for English but when she got rejected she had a crisis and switched to philosophy and theology because she thought English wasn’t her thing or something I can’t really remember exactly what she said but then she went through a year at Exeter doing philosophy/theology and then decided to start over and do English

the end.

Reactions: 12
she actually applied for English but when she got rejected she had a crisis and switched to philosophy and theology because she thought English wasn’t her thing or something I can’t really remember exactly what she said but then she went through a year at Exeter doing philosophy/theology and then decided to start over and do English

the end.
Oh right, that's confusing. I assumed she'd applied for theology to begin with. She seems to bring religious themes into her essays a lot, like the recent Dickens one where she talks about resurrection - but maybe that's just because it's relevant to the topic...

Reactions: 5

She applied for English at Oxford, got rejected, then applied to study English at Exeter before changing her mind at the last minute before the academic year started and switched to philosophy/theology.

She talked about the initial change from English to philosophy/theology in this video:

She rambles a lot and barely makes sense, but it definitely sounds she's trying to rationalise her Oxford rejection as not her fault at all and a sign from the universe that she was meant to apply for philosophy/theology all along.

It comes off like an 'I'm taking my ball and going home' situation and she decided not to study English at all if she couldn't study it at the "best" university.

She talked about the switch back to English in this video:

Hilariously, she says she felt confident switching back from philosophy/theology to English because she'd essentially learned all she needed to in that single year. A year of philosophy/theology had apparently taught her to form sound, clear, cogent arguments. She can't even form a coherent sentence most of the time, let alone full thoughts.

She's at least honest and aware in that second video that it was her disproportionate reaction to the Oxford rejection that threw her off and made her second-guess her choices. But then she starts framing it as a big, brave decision to "drop out" of her degree, even though she just switched subjects, and starts blaming unnamed people for "misinforming" her about the course change process, and blames her year 8/9 teachers for telling her she should study philosophy at university, which is probably something that only happened in her daydreams.

She never seemed very interested in studying religion to me, she only seemed interested in hearing about Christianity (and even then, like everything, she only liked studying at surface level) and very basic philosophy. She only seemed to pick modules centred around Christianity, only seemed to "read" books about Christianity and unsurprisingly lost interest in the course altogether at the end of first year when it threatened to branch out into other beliefs and weightier ideas (and when the grades would start to actually count).

It also probably didn't help that her theology didn't fit the "bookworm" persona she's always tried to cultivate.

Reactions: 24
Oh right, that's confusing. I assumed she'd applied for theology to begin with. She seems to bring religious themes into her essays a lot, like the recent Dickens one where she talks about resurrection - but maybe that's just because it's relevant to the topic...
Regarding that, I wonder if she ever read the His Dark Materials trilogy. I just finished it (and I loved it, I'd never read it before and it kinda blew my mind) and it goes quite heavy and deep with the theological stuff, especially in books 2 and 3. I thought she'd be interested in it but I've never heard her mention it before.

Reactions: 4
Regarding that, I wonder if she ever read the His Dark Materials trilogy. I just finished it (and I loved it, I'd never read it before and it kinda blew my mind) and it goes quite heavy and deep with the theological stuff, especially in books 2 and 3. I thought she'd be interested in it but I've never heard her mention it before.
"I JAN-UINELY LOVED His Dark Materials! The materials could not have been more dark, but the book was syo, syo lyrical and prosaic! My favourite character was the titular man who owned the dark materials. 5/5"

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.