Ruby Granger #21 Dirty kitchen, messy car; I wonder where the planners are?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So this is very off topic but one of the book tubers I watch who focuses on classics is also a freelance illustrator so I’m just watching her favourites of the year and she includes Brian Selznick (probably butchered the spelling apologies) as her favourite illustrator, now he illustrated the version of Hugo Cabret that Ruby has included in a bookshelf tour before to gush about its illustrations (its the one where she mentions it winning an award for the illustrations) but in watching this other book tubers video I discovered that he also illustrated a collection of Walt Whitman’s poetry called “Live Oak, With Moss” (who Ruby also gushed over having discovered him three days beforehand, I also think he was the poet from her internship but someone please correct me if it’s a different poet with a similar sounding name I may have conflated theme)

So that got me wondering if we’d see this Whitman collection pop up on Ruby’s goodreads any time soon, especially as she’d think the title screens cottage core, then it was summarised as collecting all of the broken poems and references to his homosexuality that Whitman put into his other collections of poems so it’s safe to say in Ruby’s universe it never existed at all or she’ll give it one star for being lacking in relatability

Reactions: 3
I see on Ruby's goodreads, she wants to read The Transgender Issue: An Argument for Justice, I have never read this book but in the summary the writer talks about a "wide-ranging analysis of trans lives from youth to old age, exploring work, family, housing, healthcare, the prison system, and trans participation in the LGBTQ+ and feminist communities, in contemporary Britain and beyond." It will be interesting to see if she will like this book, if she reads it, or if she will just put it as a 1 star because it doesn't relate to her life.

Reactions: 11
I see on Ruby's goodreads, she wants to read The Transgender Issue: An Argument for Justice, I have never read this book but in the summary the writer talks about a "wide-ranging analysis of trans lives from youth to old age, exploring work, family, housing, healthcare, the prison system, and trans participation in the LGBTQ+ and feminist communities, in contemporary Britain and beyond." It will be interesting to see if she will like this book, if she reads it, or if she will just put it as a 1 star because it doesn't relate to her life.
There's zero chance she'll read as much as a single page, let alone the full book.

As someone else noted, the books she's added most recently are all books that Jack Edwards has recommended or advertised in the past couple of weeks (and it's highly likely he didn't or won't read them, either).

Ruby's probably just visibly adding books outside her comfort zone because she believes that adding a wider variety of literature to her 'want to read' list constitutes the total necessary requirements to having an interest in a wider variety of literature. She won't read them.

She can't even summon the motivation to read books that are in her wheelhouse or the assigned uni texts, she just skims them and lies about it. She's been stupidly vocal in the past about skipping past sections and subplots of books when they contain things that don't interest her or don't reflect her own life (things like romance, teen relationships, realistic drama). She's definitely not going to start reading books by/about trans people or people of colour.

The books she'll actually read fall into a select few categories:
  • Books about rich white children experiencing fantastical adventures in the Victorian era.
  • Middle-grade books about rich white children being bullied for being too smart.
  • Middle-grade books about rich white children going to boarding school (where they're probably being bullied for being too smart, possibly in the Victorian era).
  • Letter-writing and etiquette guides aimed at rich white girls in the Victorian era.
  • Very short children's books with a max page count of 30 pages.
Everything else, she only pretends to read.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
There's zero chance she'll read as much as a single page, let alone the full book.

As someone else noted, the books she's added most recently are all books that Jack Edwards has recommended or advertised in the past couple of weeks (and it's highly likely he didn't or won't read them, either).

Ruby's probably just visibly adding books outside her comfort zone because she believes that adding a wider variety of literature to her 'want to read' list constitutes the total necessary requirements to having an interest in a wider variety of literature. She won't read them.

She can't even summon the motivation to read books that are in her wheelhouse or the assigned uni texts, she just skims them and lies about it. She's been stupidly vocal in the past about skipping past sections and subplots of books when they contain things that don't interest her or don't reflect her own life (things like romance, teen relationships, realistic drama). She's definitely not going to start reading books by/about trans people or people of colour.

The books she'll actually read fall into a select few categories:
  • Books about rich white children experiencing fantastical adventures in the Victorian era.
  • Middle-grade books about rich white children being bullied for being too smart.
  • Middle-grade books about rich white children going to boarding school (where they're probably being bullied for being too smart, possibly in the Victorian era).
  • Letter-writing and etiquette guides aimed at rich white girls in the Victorian era.
  • Very short children's books with a max page count of 30 pages.
Everything else, she only pretends to read.
When your most interesting personality trait is your biggest hardship (which is already pretty suspect), which is getting » bullied » for a few years in middle school. Ok.

This is just a theory but a lot of books aimed at middle-grade girls are about navigating school hierarchies/ social life/ friend groups. And a lot of the main characters are targeted for being different or “quirky” somehow- mostly being not like other girls and nerdy and bookish. And Ruby, with her narcissism and self-obsession, needed to become a Main Character, the Chosen One in her own stupid story. Except it didn’t play out how she meant it to bc real people in her life weren’t interested in being her supporting characters, and she didn’t get her big AHA revenge comeback story because Oxford rejected her, so she wrote Erimenthol to relive those weird fantasies of hers.

Reactions: 18
When your most interesting personality trait is your biggest hardship (which is already pretty suspect), which is getting » bullied » for a few years in middle school. Ok.

This is just a theory but a lot of books aimed at middle-grade girls are about navigating school hierarchies/ social life/ friend groups. And a lot of the main characters are targeted for being different or “quirky” somehow- mostly being not like other girls and nerdy and bookish. And Ruby, with her narcissism and self-obsession, needed to become a Main Character, the Chosen One in her own stupid story. Except it didn’t play out how she meant it to bc real people in her life weren’t interested in being her supporting characters, and she didn’t get her big AHA revenge comeback story because Oxford rejected her, so she wrote Erimenthol to relive those weird fantasies of hers.
It also doesn't help that all those middle-grade school bully books she read are based entirely in a world of fictional clichés and overworn tropes.

The precocious young bookish girl is picked on for studying too much, while the dumb, poor bullies pick on her because she's nerdy and smarter than them. They're just jealous! But it all works out in the end because the bullies had their own problems at home, and they're not so different after all.

Not that bullying doesn't happen in schools or that intelligent students aren't often the victims of it, but rarely if ever does it fit this exact pattern outside of middle-grade fiction, Nickelodeon shows and Disney Channel movies.

Yet that's how it happened in her book, and it's how it happened in her conflicting, suspiciously vague accounts of her clearly fabricated bullying experiences, where she was the unsuspecting victim, but she learned to forgive her imaginary bullies because they probably had a lot going on.

It wasn't believable in her book, and it certainly didn't add up when Ruby suddenly came to the miraculous conclusion that this all happened to her after reading a lot of books in which this series of events happened to fictional characters, which she cribbed ideas from for her book. And she keeps playing out this role time and time again, whenever she encounters deserved criticism - "I'm being bullied! They're just jealous of me! I choose not to let this bother me and shall say no more about it!"

In a world where people experience systemic racism, sexual harassment and are victimised for their sexuality and gender on a daily basis, Ruby's dubious tales of people not wanting to be friends with her because she was too smart or wore the wrong sweater is beyond ridiculous, and her proudly proclaiming herself an "anti-bullying advocate" in her Twitter bio could not look more childish.

Reactions: 21
Ruby Granger #22: I can’t relate to Sun Tzu, and neither should you.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Some of Ruby's goodreads choices are interesting to say the least.
Screenshot_20220108-071256_Goodreads.jpg

Someone needs to tell her that this book is not an ED how-to.
Screenshot_20220108-071323_Goodreads.jpg

Again, I wonder if Ruby thinks this is some kind of instruction manual for dealing with criticism 'bullying' as a result of her questionable business practices.
Screenshot_20220108-071540_Goodreads.jpg

I doubt Ruby understood that 'concerning' means 'about' in this context. Perhaps she's hoping to find more examples of precocious pre teens to emulate?
Screenshot_20220108-071440_Goodreads.jpg

No you're not, Ruby. Go to therapy, develop a better relationship with food and stop stealing money from charities.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Slightly embarrassed to admit to watching Mallory Towers as I was having breakfast (I couldn’t face the news and it was the next channel). Anyway, all I could think was “this is Ruby”. The one who on the surface level appears “perfect” but is a know it all, better than everyone else, sucks up to teachers: Gwendolyn. Who underneath is actually mean, deceitful, nasty, controlling and a bully. Hmmmmm.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Slightly embarrassed to admit to watching Mallory Towers as I was having breakfast (I couldn’t face the news and it was the next channel). Anyway, all I could think was “this is Ruby”. The one who on the surface level appears “perfect” but is a know it all, better than everyone else, sucks up to teachers: Gwendolyn. Who underneath is actually mean, deceitful, nasty, controlling and a bully. Hmmmmm.

That's Ruby alright.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I honestly can’t wait to see her thoughts on The Transgender Issue đŸ€Ł

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I'm sorry that this is so off topic, but seeing as mental health has been discussed here I think it's important to mention. I got this ad featuring The Speakmans at the bottom of the page and just want everyone who sees it to know that they are charlatans who don't know the first thing about anxiety and to avoid them like the plague. (Even though certain TV shows keep promoting them) Sorry guys *end PSA, back on topic*

1641637268100.png

• Heart
Reactions: 8
but Honestly if Ruby were a man I don't think anyone would find that acceptable. There would be so many posts about how strange it is that he is reading books about kids, has Pinterests of young girls, has young children on his wall etc.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I honestly can’t wait to see her thoughts on The Transgender Issue đŸ€Ł
She'll read the first five pages, write some waffle and count it towards her 'read' total despite never finishing it

Reactions: 8
but Honestly if Ruby were a man I don't think anyone would find that acceptable. There would be so many posts about how strange it is that he is reading books about kids, has Pinterests of young girls, has young children on his wall etc.
Probably. It's a double standard. On the other hand, we all find it strange that she collects these things. 😅 I'm guessing it's also to do with the fact that it fits in with Ruby's 'Victorian childhood aesthetic' so doesn't seem as weird in that context. And I guess it's because the children in question are the same gender as her and she seems to view them as figures to emulate/role models.

She'll read the first five pages, write some waffle and count it towards her 'read' total despite never finishing it
''The Transgender Issue is an important book because transgender issues are so important and relevant to today's world. It is very informative and educational in its assessment of transgender rights. The writing features things that are thought-provoking. (I will not mention these, but can assure you that the writing does indeed feature them!). I experienced many thoughts and observations whilst reading this book (I will not mention these, but can assure you that my brain did indeed experience them!). I am now a trans advocate. 4 out of 5 stars.''

• Haha
I’ve read this book, and to be honest it’s pretty light on facts and analysis! Mostly just dogma and slogans brewed with a shedload of queer theory (which as an academic discipline is pretty flimsy).

Reactions: 6
I'm sorry that this is so off topic, but seeing as mental health has been discussed here I think it's important to mention. I got this ad featuring The Speakmans at the bottom of the page and just want everyone who sees it to know that they are charlatans who don't know the first thing about anxiety and to avoid them like the plague. (Even though certain TV shows keep promoting them) Sorry guys *end PSA, back on topic*

View attachment 973899
Yeah sorry to go OT but speaking of ADs, is anyone else getting the most bizarre ones on tattle atm??? Here is a selection of a few I’ve had over the last couple of days

Attachments

• Haha
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.