Ruby Granger #18 Still no deal with Waterstones but half her food was mailed from home

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Roobs picking out Peter Pan as one of her favourite books (sorry, book covers) in Waterstones was so unintentionally ironic.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Interesting that Ruby gave no indication of what she plans to do afterwards, or what her vision is for a life outside studying.
I bet she doesn't want to think about it, as 1) she has no clear idea of what she'll do (and be defined as) outside of studying something/anything, and 2) accepting that the future is coming up quickly also means accepting that she's aging.

Reactions: 8
Screenshot_20211017-094856_YouTube.jpg

For the love of God don't give Ruby any ideas or she'll never let Blakeney go

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Presumably if Ruby opened a bookshop it would end up like her book club- Ruby would stop turning up to work and the employees would be left confusedly trying to run things themselves. Occasionally Ruby would bounce in saying 'hello it's Roobee, I'm here to show you my Waterstones haul!'

• Haha
Reactions: 35
'Not being able to choose' a drink so having both at the same time is an ED thing, right?

If you can't decide between two hot drinks, I feel the typical response would be to choose one for now and one for later that day. Having two hot drinks at once means one is likely to go cold.
I find it really strange, but I'm kind of weird with beverages, especially ones that should be a certain temperature. It would kill me to have two mugs of liquid cooling simultaneously. How to consume them at the optimal temperature? One would be neglected or too cold by the time I was ready for it! And sipping from each is just wrong.

Reactions: 10
Is this how she plans to write about Dickinson in her dissertation? Because she's in for a rude awakening if that's the case.
Also, yet again Ruby focuses on the surface rather than the meaning of things, talking about a poet's handwriting instead of the things she is actually writing about.
This is the kind of sentence that can impress her 12 year old, probably non-native speaker audience, because it's long and contains buzzwords like 'awareness'. I don't think her thesis advisor is gonna be as impressed.
You and @gossip_guy are right. This is remarkably shallow. I was willing to forgive her comments about transcribing letters, even though they were similarly surface-level and, well, dumb. I know that transcribing can be difficult work. I do it in another period and in other languages (the discipline is called "palaeography" in my fields). But she was acting like the way the author wrote one punctuation mark had some deep significance.

Now it has escalated, friends. Worse than any other filler in this paragraph is the dreaded word "materiality"... bah, I don't know whether to waste my time. She needs to credit her sources, though.

Reactions: 14
Not to be pedantic but we aren’t really in the middle of a pandemic anymore. No rules are in place anymore in England and she’s double vaccinated. As long as she’s washing hands frequently or using gel, and not overly touching her face she should be fine. We can’t limit ourselves forever and one of the joys of book shopping is picking them up and reading the blurb! Each to their own but now it’s kinda just do what you feel comfortable with.
At least Ruby still wears a mask in shops. Like the bloody pandemic never existed round by me!

Reactions: 7
I know Blakeney is no way near as awful as Roobee but I’m starting to think she is far more complicit in this whole charade than she’s given credit for. She could go out and do different things, not have every meal and study time etc with Roobee. She is an adult who can make choices. But they both seem to have morphed into 7 year olds in early 20s bodies.
And will someone please explain to me how Roobee gets the grades she gets when she makes zero sense and her ‘understanding’ of literature is at best immature and superficial and, at worst, utter BS?!

Reactions: 31
I know Blakeney is no way near as awful as Roobee but I’m starting to think she is far more complicit in this whole charade than she’s given credit for. She could go out and do different things, not have every meal and study time etc with Roobee. She is an adult who can make choices. But they both seem to have morphed into 7 year olds in early 20s bodies.
And will someone please explain to me how Roobee gets the grades she gets when she makes zero sense and her ‘understanding’ of literature is at best immature and superficial and, at worst, utter BS?!
also ;
WTF does. “Materiality of Dickinsons writing” even MEAN?! I have a lit degree and this makes NO SENSE

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
At least Ruby still wears a mask in shops. Like the bloody pandemic never existed round by me!
Yep she still wears a mask and technically has done nothing wrong! If people are still concerned they can stay at home and social distance and not go to bookshops again, but we are not literally in the middle of a pandemic. Yes it’s still about, it won’t disappear, but she’s taken measures to protect her and others ie vaccination, still wearing a mask and the stats show less are dying and getting critically ill due to the vaccination. If someone is concerned they can stay at home. Others are aware that Ruby has actually done nothing wrong by going to Waterstones and touching books and if that’s what she’s comfortable with that’s fine. We can’t keep using the pandemic to beat people round the head with when the government advice at the minute is absolutely in line with what Ruby is doing (if anything Ruby is going beyond advice by still wearing a mask). I’m a HCP and even I can calmly say that I see nothing wrong with what she’s doing. People have a choice in life and quite frankly if you can go to a gig with 10k people maskless legally, then flicking through books in Waterstones is small fry.

Someone said it caused them anxiety and triggered PTSD. I would say for that person your issues go deeper than Ruby touching a few books and you should probably address that offline rather than projecting here.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.