Ruby Granger #18 Still no deal with Waterstones but half her food was mailed from home

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What's wrong with her touching books? Like you guys never went to a bookstore and flipped throught book pages.
I agree with a lot of things said on these foruns but you're just nitpicking at this point 🤷‍♀️
Most People:

Browse a bookstore every now and then.
Look at books they're at least vaguely interested in.
Buy something.
Call it a day.

Most People During a Pandemic:

Limit unnecessary touching of random things in public for the sake of themselves and others.
Sanitise hands afterwards.

Ruby:

Browses the exact same bookstore every single day.
Despite only ever reading children's books, touches absolutely every single book in the shop, including ones she already owns, or books about Pope Francis, quantum mechanics, and travelling in Norway.
For books that she doesn't take off the shelf, she ensures that the spines and covers of all books are touched - pointing at them simply will not do.
Buys nothing.
Leaves.
Repeats entire process the very next day.

Ruby During a Pandemic:

Same as usual, but with a soiled handkerchief from the 1800s kept unused in her dusty bag.

Many people are likely going to be more reluctant to go grabbing numerous things they have no intention of buying during an ongoing pandemic, especially in the UK, where cases are once again skyrocketing.

You would expect Ruby would be one of these people, since she was crying crocodile tears over Covid when she needed an excuse to go home and claims germaphobia prevents her from touching things touched by other people. Her behaviour might be perfectly within the rules, but all it does is prove that everything she says is lies, and especially hypocritical considering she took money from the NHS to advertise pandemic hygiene precautions.

Seeing people like Ruby pawing at all the books every day would only make me that much more apprehensive to browse a physical bookstore, since her hands are constantly filthy and she has no concept of cleanliness.

Browsing Waterstones endlessly is just part of her superficial need to be seen with books, and part of her desperate campaign to attract a Waterstones sponsor deal. She doesn't need to be touching everything, every day, as she has no interest in actually buying or reading anything, and what few books she buys, she buys online anyway. She can't even feign interest in anything beyond the pretty covers.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
Did anyone else think it was funny when she moaned about it being sunny because she prefers rainy weather, and then when she went for a walk it started raining and she was all stroppy about it.

"But I'm not complaining", she quickly adds.
Btw, I don't understand what the point of only wearing a rain hat is. It's only gonna protect your head from the rain, everything else is gonna get wet anyway (clothes, anything you might be carrying). Does she think umbrellas are for grown ups?

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Btw, I don't understand what the point of only wearing a rain hat is. It's only gonna protect your head from the rain, everything else is gonna get wet anyway (clothes, anything you might be carrying). Does she think umbrellas are for grown ups?
because she couldn't possibly be seen using a regular umbrella! she requires a parasol like the glamorous rich ladies of the Victorian times to show everyone that she's oh so aesthetic and vintage

Reactions: 17
Ruby is the type of person to wear one of these
411475A4-1F9E-485D-BA96-68A8F443EDE1.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Ruby also uses umbrellas, but not like adults. She uses them while spinning in the rain. Reminder: Ruby was 17 years old in this video :/

• Sick
Reactions: 3
I have also been told this when repairing books, never to use sellotap(sp?) but to use magic tape because the adhesive in sellotape is damaging particularly when it aged. This is unrelated really but interesting because I did not know that!
I can confirm this is true. Or was... where I work we are no longer able to buy magic tape as we need to make saving. It's counterproductive as we will end up discarding books sooner, but at least we can say we cut x amount from the stationery budget this year.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
To be fair to Ruby, I was in that exact Waterstones last week and everyone was browsing, I picked up a few books to decide which ones I wanted... Covid can be caught through touch, yes, but only if people are touching contaminated surfaces. Ruby's wearing her mask and I don't think this is the point of contention everyone's making it out to be. She browsed a few books, it's not the end of the world

Reactions: 14
Ruby also uses umbrellas, but not like adults. She uses them while spinning in the rain. Reminder: Ruby was 17 years old in this video :/
I bet she chose the umbrella because it goes well with the outfit (not really, but in Ruby's mind...). It's sad to see how much she's changed, though. It's like looking at a different person.

Reactions: 5
Screenshot_20211018-104723__01__01.jpg
She really looked at this still frame and said "this will be great for my thumbnail".

Idk why but I find her smile incredibly unnerving in this, almost looks a little unhinged.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Ok. I know I sound bitter and life isn't fair etc etc, but as someone who had to wear her older brother's cast-off clothes, including underwear (yes, Y-fronts) and had to share a room with her sister, in a flat the size of Ruby's kitchen, that video really pissed me off.

Mainly the matter-of-fact way she presents all these new clothes as if it's normal for everybody. The sheer obliviousness.
I know it's not her fault that she has these things. And it's maybe not even her fault that she's been so sheltered and spoiled that she doesn't know that most people don't get brand new clothes every season or live in a massive house with a huge garden with treehouses and swings and trampolines and water fountains and ugh.

But the way she accepts all that wealth as if she deserves it. Like she doesn't even notice it? Idk.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
But the way she accepts all that wealth as if she deserves it. Like she doesn't even notice it? Idk.
It's because she's been in fancy private school settings her whole life and has had absolutely no contact with anyone beneath her tax bracket. She doesn't notice because she probably thinks poverty is a far-off thing, like, starving kids in Africa. She doesn't see that it happens everywhere, in every country, because she's oblivious and her parents sheltered the living tit out of her to the point of emotionally stunting her.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
To be fair to Ruby, I was in that exact Waterstones last week and everyone was browsing, I picked up a few books to decide which ones I wanted...
But did you touch every single thing they had for sale in that place, then return almost every day after to touch everything some more, without buying a single thing? Because that's the big difference.

Covid can be caught through touch, yes, but only if people are touching contaminated surfaces.
And anything in that Waterstones could potentially be a contaminated surface, especially with people like Ruby touching everything they possibly can for no real reason (including when she had a prolonged, flu-like illness).

Her mask will do very little for her or others considering she's usually touching it, her face and everything else she sees and it's often riding below her nostrils.

Again, it's not that there's rules stopping her from touching things. Considering that she's often claiming that she's germaphobic, and was supposedly so scared of Covid that she had to ditch Blakeney and run home as fast as she could, you'd think she'd show some caution and restraint instead of touching everything in sight like a grabby child. But nope, just another thing she was lying about.

Reactions: 15
I agree 100% with you about not freaking out regarding what Ruby touches or doesn't, whether she goes to bookstores or not. But we are literally in the middle of a pandemic. If the world learned anything from the spring, it's that allowing the virus to spread allows new variants to develop. We are headed into winter, people are going to be inside, and no one knows the true long-term consequences of covid on children.

So, yes you are right. Ruby's actions should not bother people that much. But you're also saying some stuff I can't get behind at all, because it is simply false.
For added context with that graph: the UK has one of the world's highest case rates per million people at the moment. Our current Covid death rate is equivalent to 40k people dying a year (for flu it's 10k). Quite a few island countries have successfully implemented "zero Covid" models. We shouldn't have to accept the current model we've got.

Ruby is in a high-risk environment with hundreds (thousands?) of other students from across the world who are all pinging around campus, spreading various germs. Her choosing to go into a bookshop (what seems like) every day, and touching lots of books then touching her hair, then the books again is increasing the chance of her shedding any virus fragments on to the books.

She also claims that she is scared of Covid but then does not do things that lessen the chances of her catching or spreading it.

She has the handkerchief that she uses to open gates/ doors and then puts back into her bag along with other items that she'll be touching later. We do not know how long the handkerchief has been used for this, and do not know whether it has ever been washed.

She made a big deal of 'disinfecting' everything but only sprayed on disinfectants before immediately wiping them off.

As ever, her going to Waterstones and touching things while wearing a mask, and worrying about Covid, seems to be more a product of her own cognitive dissonance than a sensory need to touch things.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Ok. I know I sound bitter and life isn't fair etc etc, but as someone who had to wear her older brother's cast-off clothes, including underwear (yes, Y-fronts) and had to share a room with her sister, in a flat the size of Ruby's kitchen, that video really pissed me off.

Mainly the matter-of-fact way she presents all these new clothes as if it's normal for everybody. The sheer obliviousness.
I know it's not her fault that she has these things. And it's maybe not even her fault that she's been so sheltered and spoiled that she doesn't know that most people don't get brand new clothes every season or live in a massive house with a huge garden with treehouses and swings and trampolines and water fountains and ugh.

I completely agree. I grew up poor with a single-mum. The obliviousness and the casuality with which Ruby simply accepts her wealth, lifestyle and, ultimately, luck of having been born into a rich family is seething to me.

Reactions: 21
She made a big deal of 'disinfecting' everything but only sprayed on disinfectants before immediately wiping them off.
Not to defend Ruby but as someone with a background in catering I can confirm that virtually nobody knows how to properly sanitise a surface. Contact time is a concept that seems not to exist, even given that we’re in the middle of a pandemic. It’s deeply frustrating - people will happily buy shed-loads if Dettol spray but don’t seem to understand that if you just spray it on and wipe it off you might as well not bother, if sanitisation is your aim.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
As ever, her going to Waterstones and touching things while wearing a mask, and worrying about Covid, seems to be more a product of her own cognitive dissonance than a sensory need to touch things.
I think she'd also happily not bother wearing a mask if it weren't still a requirement in a lot of shops, etc. When she went to London, she whipped her mask straight off the instant she was off the train, despite being in a crowded station surrounded by people. She doesn't care at all.

Reactions: 6
But did you touch every single thing they had for sale in that place, then return almost every day after to touch everything some more, without buying a single thing? Because that's the big difference.

And anything in that Waterstones could potentially be a contaminated surface, especially with people like Ruby touching everything they possibly can for no real reason (including when she had a prolonged, flu-like illness).

Her mask will do very little for her or others considering she's usually touching it, her face and everything else she sees and it's often riding below her nostrils.

Again, it's not that there's rules stopping her from touching things. Considering that she's often claiming that she's germaphobic, and was supposedly so scared of Covid that she had to ditch Blakeney and run home as fast as she could, you'd think she'd show some caution and restraint instead of touching everything in sight like a grabby child. But nope, just another thing she was lying about.
I don't deny that she's lying about her germophobia. But at the end of the day, nobody is responsible for anyone else's use of hand sanitiser/hand hygiene.

Reactions: 5
It was a recurring trend for her with this video, if not her entire life. The Scream Queens thing in particular stood out for me.

"There's nothing wrong with trying something new," she said bitterly, after doing everything she could to passive-aggressively get out of trying something new.
I liked reading this narration, "she said bitterly": it was like reading a little snippet of a novel. You should write more snippets from her videos like this. I can't really explain what I mean - it's just funny. I read it in my head like a bit of dialogue.

If Ruby were actually a germaphobe, she'd wear a K95 or FFP2 mask, as is required in some countries. She has enough money to buy these and they are not that bad to wear. Yes, they have to be replaced regularly, but that's how life is in a pandemic.

My feelings about touching things are kind of irrelevant because I personally have more anxiety about aerosols. I am part of a research project for the next few months and am dreading when the weather will make it too cold to have our weekly gathering outside at a café. I can't get my booster shot fast enough (but I have to wait until it has been 6 months since my 2nd shot). I guess I don't really hang out in stores and browse, now that I think about it. I just buy what I need and leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
It's because she's been in fancy private school settings her whole life and has had absolutely no contact with anyone beneath her tax bracket. She doesn't notice because she probably thinks poverty is a far-off thing, like, starving kids in Africa. She doesn't see that it happens everywhere, in every country, because she's oblivious and her parents sheltered the living tit out of her to the point of emotionally stunting her.
Her naivete and sheltered life really showed when she put out that video listing kind things to do to promote her kindness journal a few years ago. All very surface level basic things like telling a friend how much they mean to you and sliding a nice note into a book, baking something for friends. IIRC one of the things was literally leaving pennies for people to find. Lol, I’d love to see Ruby actually dirty her hands serving food at a shelter or doing something that actually might have an impact on someone's life

Reactions: 13
To be fair to Ruby, I was in that exact Waterstones last week and everyone was browsing, I picked up a few books to decide which ones I wanted... Covid can be caught through touch, yes, but only if people are touching contaminated surfaces. Ruby's wearing her mask and I don't think this is the point of contention everyone's making it out to be. She browsed a few books, it's not the end of the world
It's quite bizarre to me that a student browsing books in a bookstore wearing a mask is called out for her behavior. How many students are hosting parties in their dorm rooms? Meeting many different friends throughout the week and having drinks on Friday? Ruby's behavior is not what causes this high numbers of cases in the UK.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.