Ruby Granger #18 Still no deal with Waterstones but half her food was mailed from home

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not to be pedantic but we aren’t really in the middle of a pandemic anymore. No rules are in place anymore in England and she’s double vaccinated. As long as she’s washing hands frequently or using gel, and not overly touching her face she should be fine. We can’t limit ourselves forever and one of the joys of book shopping is picking them up and reading the blurb! Each to their own but now it’s kinda just do what you feel comfortable with.
I mean, we are still very much in a pandemic and being double vaccinated is no guarantee of protection. Both of my grandparents, my uncle and my aunt are double vaccinated with pfizer and they’ve all currently got covid.
However, I agree with you, at the end of the day Ruby isn’t breaking any rules and she wears a mask in more places than most UK influencers so I don’t really see the need to pull her up for touching books.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
There I thought Ruby couldn't get more obnoxious but she obviously adapted Holly's all-inclusive use of "we", "we love a good heart" in her video at 05:21. :rolleyes: also no matter how much you ramble on about the "materiality" of Emily Dickinson's writing it's still glaringly obvious that yu haven't found your topic yet, Ruby. Don't try to pretend by doing even more "dissertation work."
Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-16 um 20.45.38.png
And here we can see she's making ample use of the pennant she bought from the uni shop. It's on the floor, collecting dust.
Can you imagine if after all this prep work she has to change the subject of her dissertation completely because they tell her it's not suitable

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Not to be pedantic but we aren’t really in the middle of a pandemic anymore. No rules are in place anymore in England and she’s double vaccinated. As long as she’s washing hands frequently or using gel, and not overly touching her face she should be fine. We can’t limit ourselves forever and one of the joys of book shopping is picking them up and reading the blurb! Each to their own but now it’s kinda just do what you feel comfortable with.
I was referring to her and her friend touching every single edition of the Penguin Classics to choose which one is their favourite, not reading the blurb of a book. It's completely unnecessary but I guess it's in character with Ruby lmao.

Reactions: 23
The "Daily" University Vlogs might be dead and buried, but the party isn't over, because Ruby's here to introduce us to a "typical weekend at university". I'm not quite sure how she'd know what a typical uni weekend would look like, considering she's only spent around one weekend a year away from home, but still!

If you thought Ruby's desperate need to have her mother post Cricut accessories to her (along with a bunch of powdered food and seasoning that she didn't need) was weird, as though a Cricut was something she'd never use unless someone was paying her to, well...it turns out that's because a Cricut is something she'd never use unless someone was paying her to. This video is sponsored by Cricut, which Ruby will proceed to shove in a cupboard and never use again.

Ruby starts her "typical weekend" by exposing her forehead to the morning light. The ravages of malnutrition have never been more apparent, and Ruby's hairline has thrown up the white flag and completely retreated.

Untitled010.jpg

Ruby drinks from a Halloween mug, despite the scariest thing she's willing to expose herself to in October being the prospect of not reminding anyone that it's autumn, or reading less than 6 unnecessary or unrelated critical essays per module.

Despite her apparent obsession with Autumn, she's still soundtracking her videos by picking a Christmassy song from the rotation of four overused songs she uses for her videos and dressing like she's preparing for Ol' Saint Nick to visit and bring her the gift of more privilege.

Untitled019.jpg

Ruby makes camomile tea and matcha tea because she "couldn't decide". This might seem like simple, wasteful stupidity, but is actually a perfect visual metaphor for Ruby deciding her future prospects: Fail at life beyond uni because she has developed no talents for anything, or fail at life beyond uni because she's completely retreated into childhood and refuses to spend more than 20 minutes without contacting or visiting her parents. Ruby has chosen both options.

Next, there's a DEAFENING CRACK as Ruby doesn't bother setting consistent audio levels yet again and sparks a flame from her gas-powered lighter, because environmental decline is the new sustainability and Ruby evidently can't see in daylight hours without candlelight.

Now that there are sufficient fire hazards burning, it's time to study! Breakfast? We don't know her.

Ruby says she's working on dissertation prep work by focusing on manuscripts of Emily Dickinson's letters, as evidenced by her showing footage of her writing about Lewis Carroll's letters...

Untitled023.png

....and also some footage of her reading about costumes in Ben Jonson plays while she slightly rephrases sections from critical reading into Notion. It's there we see Ruby's intellectual aptitude on full display, as she offers such startling insight as "jewels = wealth".

Ruby says, "I am fascinated by the materiality of Emily Dickinson's work. She's so aware of her handwriting. You have an awareness from her that she does write in a distinctive way, and I think you see her kind of linking some part of her identity in the way that she writes, which you then get being fed back from the people who know her, who always describe how distinct Emily Dickinson's handwriting IS. It's often compared to fossils?", which is a lot of words to say absolutely nothing at all.

Examples, Ruby. In what way is Emily's handwriting distinctive? And what elements of her personality are shown through said distinctive elements of her handwriting? So far you've offered nothing but rambling, which bodes well for your dissertation, the vague topic of which is already flimsy at best.

While Ruby's rambling about handwriting, apparently she thought this was relevant to the conversation:

Untitled025.jpg

Her sudden love of Perkier bars has nothing to do with the fact that she was gifted them and desperately wants all the free stuff she can get her hands on.

"HELLO IT'S ROOBEE AND TODAY OIY'M GYOING TYOO BE VLOGGING!" What feels like several minutes into the video, Ruby finally intros her video, almost like she edits these things without paying attention to what order she puts footage in the timeline.

Ruby has completely transplanted her obsessively overdependent relationship with her parents onto Blakeney, and has already decided that Blakeney will be reading A Christmas Carol concurrently with her while they both sit next to each other on the sofa...

Usually when they find that someone's been murdering people, neighbours say they never would have suspected it and they never had any inkling such a nice, polite person would be capable of such things, but this obsessive, weird behaviour from Ruby is the exact kind of red flags people will look back on when they find Blakeney's mummified corpse entombed in the walls of Ruby's cottage.

Meanwhile, Blakeney talks to Ruby cheerfully, as though speaking to a small-minded, easily-distracted child, keeping them entertained and engaged with pictures so that they don't run off and burn down the living room. Unsurprisingly, flame-obsessed Ruby is instantly captivated by the pictures of candles and fire.

Untitled027.jpg

Ruby's attention span quickly wanes, so Blakeney puts on an animated childen's film to distract her - but only the beginning of it, because if Ruby does any one thing for more than 15 minutes, she'll have a brain aneurysm.

Ruby writes about the experience as though she were a primary schooler writing about her weekend, complete with misspellings and lack of capitalisation:

Untitled028.jpg

Ruby and Blakeney head to town, and of course, Ruby uses it as another excuse to desperately try to get a sponsorship deal from Waterstones by giving them yet more free advertising. She forgot to get her usual extended shot of the store sign outside, so she just slaps a big, fat WATERSTONES on screen, in case you were in any danger of forgetting which shop Ruby won't stop advertising.

Untitled029.jpg

Eternally wasteful Ruby decides that 'Earthshot: How to Save Our Planet' looks "SO good". Ruby will probably shred the book and use it as abundant packaging to post something insanely tiny to her other home by the fastest, most expensive delivery method possible because sustainability.

Ruby has Blakeney pick out her favourite book covers, rather than her favourite books. Because fake aesthetics over substance is Ruby's entire brand.

After touching everything in Waterstones and visiting no other shops or independent bookstores, Ruby and Blakeney head home and try some 'love potion' tea. A love potion is going to be needed here to win over Blakeney, as Ruby instantly talks over everything she has to say.

Blakeney wants to watch Scream Queens, which Ruby has instantly and dismissively decided looks like "quite bad television" despite never watching television and having no basis for comparison.

It's the next morning and Ruby says she and Blakeney started it by listening to "classical" music downstairs. We don't hear what this music is, but with Ruby's hazy definition of "classical" music, it could have been anything from the score to Downton Abbey to Sam Smith's latest album or possibly the sounds of a passing ice cream van.

Ruby mentions that it's her dad's birthday very soon. Either her dad has a birthday every time Ruby needs an excuse to flee home or write to her parents, or this was recorded weeks ago.

Then we get an extended ad section for Cricut, a 21st Century technological tool which absolutely makes sense for someone who is apparently obsessed with physical letter writing and vintage, Victorian letter-writing habits to endorse.

Untitled031.jpg

Ruby maintains that she absolutely uses the Cricut all the time, not just when it's time for a sponsored, paid video to be uploaded. You can tell she's telling the truth by all the zero times she's used a Cricut in videos and posts that she wasn't being paid by Cricut for.

"This cutting machine is so intuitive and easy to use," Ruby says. So intuitive that Ruby had to watch someone else's instructional video on YouTube to figure out how to use it, despite claiming to use it all the time:

Untitled033.jpg

After making her dad a pretty crappy-looking card that looks like it'll tear apart before it's even in the envelope, Ruby finds the "cutest, most beautiful "autominal" card". In this ad for Cricut in which Ruby's supposed to be showcasing the quality and features of the Cricut, Ruby forgot half of the accessories and has to draw the design onto the card herself in pen.

Untitled0i9.jpg

(Pictured: Ruby Granger being #grateful for more sponsor money.)

This is yet another glaring example of how generally inept Ruby is at all things. The thing she wants to be known for is productivity, and her marquee merch product is her planner - supposedly a monument to her exceptional organisational skills. Only, she's constantly screwing up and forgetting even the most basic things, despite her claims of being a meticulous planner.

Her numerous planners and to-do lists are only a place to remind herself to backflip and brush her teeth, or a place to reward herself for things she's either already done or has only pretended to do. What she constantly fails to do is write down actually useful reminders and plans. Like here, she either knew she had a scheduled Cricut video due, and didn't bother reminding herself or planning to pack everything to take to uni. That or there was no time deadline, and rather than wait until she had all the things she needed to film the video, she threw up an unprofessional, half-assed mess for her sponsor because she's lazy and incompetent.

Untitled099.jpg

"Stop right there," Ruby signifies with an obnoxious finger-point. "There's no time to point out my hypocrisy, lies, ineptitude and general stupidity - not when I could be walking in the rain and reminding everyone that it's October again!"

And then Ruby walks in the rain and reminds everyone that it's October again, pulling the smuggest possible face:

Untitlehhk.jpg

After that, it's time to go shopping again.

Untitlehh.jpg

But wait, Ruby, why didn't you put the name of the shop in big, bold letters on-screen for everyone to see? I mean, it couldn't possibly be that you only did that for Waterstones to make sure they got maximum free advertising in your ongoing begging campaign for a sponsorship, right? And it certainly has nothing to do with you being embarrassed to shop at expensive, upmarket supermarkets while constantly lying about how restricted your budget is, not at all...

Back home, the card that she wrote for her "penpal" is now proudly displayed, open on Ruby's desk.

Untitlehhh.jpg

Ruby's her own penpal? Well, that saves on stamps, at least.

After complaining about how cold it is yet again, Ruby does some awkward ballet exercising while her Exeter University pennant lies discarded on the floor gathering dust.

Then it's time for some patented Ruby exposition, as Ruby shows sped-up footage of her and Blakeney talking while Ruby explains that they talked about an abundance of things, all insightful and magical, and though you can't hear any of it because it's top secret, it most definitely happened and was amazing. It certainly wasn't Ruby talking Blakeney to death with nonsensical go-nowhere rambles about nothing coherent and not letting her get a word in edgewise.

After a video call with her internet studytube friends - a call which her friends take a hilariously long time to answer, as if they're screening and hoping Ruby gives up - that's it for another vlog.

In summary, a "typical weekend at university" for Ruby consists of:
  • Eating nothing but a gifted cereal bar.
  • Making bad birthday cards for her dad (and herself).
  • Watching only the beginning of children's animated Christmas movies.
  • Reading A Christmas Carol.
  • Scheduling Blakeney's day against her will.
  • Talking about Autumn and/or October.
  • Advertising Waterstones.
And since that's a typical weekend at university, I assume she'll be doing all the same things again in February?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
There were so so sooo many lingering shots on Blakeney. I know its nice to appreciate your friends but I felt like I was watching something private if that makes sense??

Reactions: 13
'Not being able to choose' a drink so having both at the same time is an ED thing, right?
Not necessarily. That sounds like me and I don't have an ED, I'm just indecisive. I would blame the ADHD but my sister is the same and she is neurotypical just horrifically indecisive...

Reactions: 5
I mean, we are still very much in a pandemic and being double vaccinated is no guarantee of protection. Both of my grandparents, my uncle and my aunt are double vaccinated with pfizer and they’ve all currently got covid.
However, I agree with you, at the end of the day Ruby isn’t breaking any rules and she wears a mask in more places than most UK influencers so I don’t really see the need to pull her up for touching books.
So sorry to hear about your relatives, that's really bad luck that four of them have it.

• Heart
Sorry, but her touching every single book/thing she ever sees in a shop was disgusting and super revolting even before the pandemic. Why does every single person entering the shop need to be covered in your grubby finger oils and crumbs? Now, in the middle of the pandemic, apart from being dirty it's also irresponsible, beyond moronic and lethal.

The video gave me claustrophobia when she was crowding B and pressing up against her (both literally and emotionally) about that book.

I had to pause-almost gave me an anxiety attack. You know those people who are like vampires, and stick to you drinking your blood so that they can thrive? If you are lucky, you don't know anyone like that. If you are like me, you couldn't make it through that scene without serious ptsd.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
Sorry, but her touching every single book/thing she ever sees in a shop was disgusting and super revolting even before the pandemic. Why does every single person entering the shop need to be covered in your grubby finger oils and crumbs? Now, in the middle of the pandemic, apart from being dirty it's also irresponsible, beyond moronic and lethal.
Not only that, but she seems to visit Waterstones every single day. How many times does she need to rub her germ-covered mitts all over the same books before she's figured out that she either wants to buy them, or she'll never buy them so there's no need to keep picking them up and pawing at them?

This is a person who's long and often been proven to have disgusting personal hygiene and an inability to clean anything she owns, I certainly wouldn't want to know she'd spend weeks on end rubbing her hands all over the cover of a book I'd bought.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
There were so so sooo many lingering shots on Blakeney. I know its nice to appreciate your friends but I felt like I was watching something private if that makes sense??
as someone who has a friend who vlogs, i cannot explain how annoying it is when someone like myself doesn't care too much for social media i give props to blakeney

Apologies if this was already here, I may have missed it.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Apologies if this was already here, I may have missed it.

I don't think it's been shared yet, I definitely hadn't seen it.

I'm guessing this was the interview Ruby mentioned a while ago. It's a pretty pointless Sixteenth-friendly fluff piece, but I guess neither Ruby, Jack nor Eve would've given any quotes otherwise.

It's basically "What happens to StudyTubers after they stop studying? Well, we interviewed three people, all repped by the same agency. One of them's still studying, the other's planning to study some more, and the third one got a job."

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I am fascinated by the materiality of Emily Dickinson's work. She's so aware of her handwriting. You have an awareness from her that she does write in a distinctive way, and I think you see her kind of linking some part of her identity in the way that she writes, which you then get being fed back from the people who know her, who always describe how distinct Emily Dickinson's handwriting IS. It's often compared to fossils?
Is this how she plans to write about Dickinson in her dissertation? Because she's in for a rude awakening if that's the case.
Also, yet again Ruby focuses on the surface rather than the meaning of things, talking about a poet's handwriting instead of the things she is actually writing about.
This is the kind of sentence that can impress her 12 year old, probably non-native speaker audience, because it's long and contains buzzwords like 'awareness'. I don't think her thesis advisor is gonna be as impressed.

Reactions: 21
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. It kind of gave me Peach vibes from You, if anyone's seen that.

Reactions: 4
I've been away for a bit and have just caught up reading all the posts. Thank you in particular to @gossip_guy for your hilarious recaps and eagle eyed observations!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I don't think it's been shared yet, I definitely hadn't seen it.

I'm guessing this was the interview Ruby mentioned a while ago. It's a pretty pointless Sixteenth-friendly fluff piece, but I guess neither Ruby, Jack nor Eve would've given any quotes otherwise.

It's basically "What happens to StudyTubers after they stop studying? Well, we interviewed three people, all repped by the same agency. One of them's still studying, the other's planning to study some more, and the third one got a job."
Interesting that Ruby gave no indication of what she plans to do afterwards, or what her vision is for a life outside studying.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.