Real Life Crime and Murder #7

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Don't normally share these, as I watch a LOT of real life crime, but this week's Dateline was really good and well worth a watch.

Reactions: 9
https://apple.news/AA3Dx3AN_QA-qiZ42ympbVA

i understand that parents want to believe their children but I really don’t think they help them when they believe delusions about their innocence. You’d be better off encouraging them to admit to their crimes in the face of the evidence and accept their fate.

I also read last night that Police in America have released details suicide note found near Brian Laundrie’s remains in which he admitted killing Gabby Petito
There is a thread on Gabby Petito. Not sure how to link though, sorry.

The alleged baby killer Lucy Letby has appeared in court. Her trial starts in October.

I just googled her as havent heard about it, found this site too, will have to read more later.

Reactions: 1
Certainly going to be a hard case to follow. CPS obviously sees it’s worth pursuing.

Reactions: 4
I wonder if it will be transcribed online?
Not a doubt in a mind that the press will be reporting live on it every day if they are able to - remember, there is some form of reporting restriction in place currently. I can't even see it listed today either at Chester Crown Court, where the hearing took place, or at Manchester Crown Court, where it will be tried. It's scheduled to last six months though so they'll probably get bored after a while.

You only have to look at the initial coverage to see that this will be massive nationally.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Reporting anonymity restrictions for all victims/and attempted victims in Letbys case also. Very interesting, has there been a set date for trial?

Reporting anonymity restrictions for all victims/and attempted victims in Letbys case also. Very interesting, has there been a set date for trial?
Start date 4th October.

The alleged murder victims have been named in court and the national press. The attempted murder victims have not (which is perfectly understandable)

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Start date 4th October.

The alleged murder victims have been named in court and the national press. The attempted murder victims have not (which is perfectly understandable)
Can I ask if you know why they would schedule another two pre-trial hearings. I’m not sure I’ve seen that before but maybe it’s the usual course. Although the trial is expected to last 6 months I expect there is quite a huge volume of evidence to go through. What an awful case for all involved.

Can I ask if you know why they would schedule another two pre-trial hearings. I’m not sure I’ve seen that before but maybe it’s the usual course. Although the trial is expected to last 6 months I expect there is quite a huge volume of evidence to go through. What an awful case for all involved.
Well, I don't know how many exactly you are entitled to, as the press don't report on every single one. In usual circumstances, it goes something along the lines of - first court appearance after charging is always with magistrates, who refer it immediately to crown court. First crown court appearance is normally a few days later then there's one normally another a couple of weeks later and maybe another two or three hearings - plea and case management hearings - until trial. But that's based on coming to trial in six months, as we were in the golden days before Covid.

Now, everything's all up the wazoo!

I believe custody time limits for murder trial defendants was increased to nine months from six because of the impact of Covid - it may well have been increased again - but I am forever seeing, on the court listings, hearings to get these time limits extended again especially in London. Also, that second crown court appearance after a couple of weeks appears to have been dropped and I'm seeing more and more the next court date as being two or more months down the line (but that's probably because of the increased custody time limits)

Lucy Letby's case has been ongoing since November 2020, when she was charged, and we know the sides involved both said they wouldn't be ready for the first trial date that was set because of the sheer volume of work, so I think it's perfectly understandable they'll be a few more hearings in the next eight months, just so the judge can make sure everything is on track to meet the 4th October and to keep extending her custody time limit as necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I am very surprised her counsel has not applied again for bail with very stringent conditions as I recall he did say he would but nothing since.
As a poster said upthread it doesn’t appear in any court lists for todays hearing ( it’s been excluded before strangely ) why not ?
There is a real air of secrecy in this case which I find very odd.
Shes Lso being held down in Bronzefield which is miles away and bearing in mind this is a northern case I would of thought she would be held on remand at Styal.
It’s easier for her family and legal representation to meet with her.

Reactions: 4
I am very surprised her counsel has not applied again for bail with very stringent conditions as I recall he did say he would
You couldn't have her on the outside now. The odds are extremely high she would be tracked down and attacked and possibly killed.

Reactions: 6
Reactions: 6
I am very surprised her counsel has not applied again for bail with very stringent conditions as I recall he did say he would but nothing since.
As a poster said upthread it doesn’t appear in any court lists for todays hearing ( it’s been excluded before strangely ) why not ?
There is a real air of secrecy in this case which I find very odd.
Shes Lso being held down in Bronzefield which is miles away and bearing in mind this is a northern case I would of thought she would be held on remand at Styal.
It’s easier for her family and legal representation to meet with her.
Bail for anyone charged with murder in this country is rare never mind for someone charged with multiple and attempted child murders. Never going to happen in a million years, no matter how many conditions she agreed to.

And I wouldn't say secrecy - there was a report on her last appearance that said there were reporting restrictions in place (first time I'd seen that) which is why I assume we are now only getting the very basic outline of what is taking place during those hearings.

I suspect the judge has been made aware of the totally ridiculous and highly prejudicial publicity that Ms Letby has been subjected to, from the time of her first arrest, and is now stamping his authority on the case (and the press) before the trial starts so that she can hopefully have a fair trial, as she is absolutely entitled to. That's just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.