Real Life Crime and Murder #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I did not agree with the article and don’t believe she echoes the sentiments of Sarah’s family. There is a wider issue at play and to underplay her death as ‘one occurance’ or ‘extremely rare’ is dangerous
The important thing in the article is that evil men who possibly kill or rape women will continue to exist even if you change the culture around it in the general society imo
Something I personally agree with 🤷‍♀️ At the end of the day, someone who does those things won't care what the society expects of them
It's a different story where people know each other though

Reactions: 12
I’ve just seen a video on tiktok. Not a single bit of social distancing going on (yes I know that’s not the be all and end all considering what’s happened but still), chanting “shame on you” to the police. I know there’s been failings and investigation into the flashing but come on 😩 the police do not deserve this

Reactions: 16
Interesting but I think it's crass to call what happened to her "unlucky" and then to continue on to say not all men.
It's not crass. Sarah was her friend. She knew her, she has a right to voice how she thinks Sarah would view things. She was unlucky. Unlucky that she was in the same vicinity as someone who wished to commit harm to another human being. Our whole existence consists of sliding door moments. Five minutes here or there and it would have been someone else. Another group of people's lives ruined; different ripples, in different pools. As other people have said, we could all be Sarah.

Reactions: 24
I’ve just seen a video on tiktok. Not a single bit of social distancing going on (yes I know that’s not the be all and end all considering what’s happened but still), chanting “shame on you” to the police. I know there’s been failings and investigation into the flashing but come on 😩 the police do not deserve this
My social media is now full of people police bashing, forgetting that police are people too. Policewomen would have been present alongside policemen this evening. They are angry and upset that one of their own did what they did to Sarah, the VAST majority are in the force to help.

The vigil shouldn't have gone ahead, I appreciate people are upset and want a way to show support but it just isn't the right time. The police would have followed orders tonight, I doubt they wanted things to go how they did. Could it have been handled more sensitively? Possibly, but did there needs to be chants directed at them? No.

It's not crass. Sarah was her friend. She knew her, she has a right to voice how she thinks Sarah would view things. She was unlucky. Unlucky that she was in the same vicinity as someone who wished to commit harm to another human being. Our whole existence consists of sliding door moments. Five minutes here or there and it would have been someone else. Another group of people's lives ruined; different ripples, in different pools. As other people have said, we could all be Sarah.
Her friend is grieving and I think that should be taken into account and she knew Sarah in a way none of us did. But I think the outpouring from women is long overdue and there was always going to be something that was a catalyst for it. It’s important these stories are heard. I also don’t like her assertion that women are now demonising all men or all police. Literally no one has said that.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Women are grieving. There appear to have been massive duck ups within the met, and it’s entirely possible that Sarah’s death could have been prevented.

Reactions: 11
Her friend is grieving and I think that should be taken into account and she knew Sarah in a way none of us did. But I think the outpouring from women is long overdue and there was always going to be something that was a catalyst for it. It’s important these stories are heard. I also don’t like her assertion that women are now demonising all men or all police. Literally no one has said that.
Some people definitely have. Not really on here but there that opinion does exist.

Reactions: 6
“We could all be Sarah” is something that I think has resonated with most of us this week. The fact that she’s a normal girl with a normal job living in a normal inner city area opposed to being a drug addict prostitute living in a red light district-Something that majority of us can’t relate to.

Reactions: 12
Women are grieving. There appear to have been massive duck ups within the met, and it’s entirely possible that Sarah’s death could have been prevented.
I totally understand that, and I am one of those women who feel overwhelmingly affected by this, but I just think there are better ways at handling things. I want to help advocate for women, I want to raise awareness, I want to feel safe, but I want to do it peacefully and not in a way that takes away the whole meaning of what we’re trying to do

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I totally understand that, and I am one of those women who feel overwhelmingly affected by this, but I just think there are better ways at handling things. I want to help advocate for women, I want to raise awareness, I want to feel safe, but I want to do it peacefully and not in a way that takes away the whole meaning of what we’re trying to do
I understand where you’re coming from, but surely the same can be said for the Met? Why didn’t they better engage with the vigil rather than just saying they opposed it? How did it get to a point where they were holding women down? There surely should have been a better way of dealing with the situation that didn’t involve that level of force against women.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I skimmed the friends letter. Its all a bit #notallmen, its personal for them as they are Sarahs loved ones. She then becomes the face of a movement, and it becomes a bigger thing. Obviously not what her friend wants or what she thinks Sarah would have wanted.. but it DOES highlight a problem women face, and it resonates so much that it will gain momentum.

As for the shitshow at the vigil; duck the ACAB cunts who came for a fight and duck the police for being so heavy handed. Ive seen videos of men screaming into the faces of officers. Theyre the bleeping problem.

Reactions: 13
I'm so pleased to see the met's handling of this roundly condemned by others in power. It really was disgraceful. They should have read the room and kept a respectful distance so people could just have their vigil. Instead they centred themselves in the bandstand looking down at everyone else, formed a barrier blocking out the flowers, became confrontational and finally attacked women. So glad it's been called out.

Reactions: 13
I understand where you’re coming from, but surely the same can be said for the Met? Why didn’t they better engage with the vigil rather than just saying they opposed it? How did it get to a point where they were holding women down? There surely should have been a better way of dealing with the situation that didn’t involve that level of force against women.
I think for me it comes down to this, I work for a trust that comes under a lot of scrutiny and I feel I have to convince patients just because some people that have/do work here are bad at their job, doesn’t mean I am also. And I do feel for the officers who are innocent in their job, but have received back lash because one of their officers has allegedly done this. I know my experience is completely different to the police, but it’s similar in a way I relate to.
And those in the met that have fudged up should absolutely be held accountable, I just feel for the ones this evening that are just doing their job, a lot of them probably agree with the vigil, but are still continuing to be abused. It’s a catch 22 situation I think. I don’t disagree with anybody at all, I just think some of them don’t deserve it for the action of others

I skimmed the friends letter. Its all a bit #notallmen, its personal for them as they are Sarahs loved ones. She then becomes the face of a movement, and it becomes a bigger thing. Obviously not what her friend wants or what she thinks Sarah would have wanted.. but it DOES highlight a problem women face, and it resonates so much that it will gain momentum.

As for the shitshow at the vigil; duck the ACAB cunts who came for a fight and duck the police for being so heavy handed. Ive seen videos of men screaming into the faces of officers. Theyre the bleeping problem.
It seems to me that this has ended how most widely publicised protests do, people end up there for the wrong reasons and ruin it for everyone. But this was supposed to be a vigil NOT a protest, peaceful or not. I think the police knew there would be a presence and let’s not forget that some people live in the area and walk there every day so they are well within their rights to be there so they had to expect some to be there to pay respects. It just feels like BLM all over again to be honest.

It could've been handled sensitivity. It would've been nice if more female officers were present for one thing. Allowed them to take charge given the circumstances and let the male officers deal with the odd disruptive men at the event. Instead the lasting images of the night are of male officers posturing on the bandstand and randomly attacking women.

Reactions: 11
It seems to me that this has ended how most widely publicised protests do, people end up there for the wrong reasons and ruin it for everyone. But this was supposed to be a vigil NOT a protest, peaceful or not. I think the police knew there would be a presence and let’s not forget that some people live in the area and walk there every day so they are well within their rights to be there so they had to expect some to be there to pay respects. It just feels like BLM all over again to be honest.
As soon as I saw pictures of ACAB signs, i knew trouble wasnt far behind. Theres always trouble makers. People are rightly angry, but it didnt need to end like that. The met made the wrong call.

Reactions: 7
“We could all be Sarah” is something that I think has resonated with most of us this week. The fact that she’s a normal girl with a normal job living in a normal inner city area opposed to being a drug addict prostitute living in a red light district-Something that majority of us can’t relate to.
I'm old enough that I've lived through reporting of several cases like this (by which I mean a woman murdered by a stranger), including someone who was a couple of years older that me whilst we were at school (she was just walking too). I've also researched similar cases in depth for academic purposes.

I've never seen a public reaction like this. I don't know what has changed this time. Is it lockdown? Is it the metoo movement, or is it just that women have had enough. Maybe a combination of all of it.

Reactions: 25
I'm old enough that I've lived through reporting of several cases like this (by which I mean a woman murdered by a stranger), including someone who was a couple of years older that me whilst we were at school (she was just walking too). I've also researched similar cases in depth for academic purposes.

I've never seen a public reaction like this. I don't know what has changed this time. Is it lockdown? Is it the metoo movement, or is it just that women have had enough. Maybe a combination of all of it.
I think the political extremes in left and right have created more vocalised outrage and feedback. People feel free to shout. Social media definitely helps this. Of course, that comes with major pros and cons.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I completely agree.

Last Sunday, where I live, hundreds of football fans turned up at the main square, pissed out their faces, causing damage, fighting amongst themselves (when they weren’t hugging each other!!!). No social distancing, there was damage to property and we’re all supposed to stay indoors. Were any of them man-handled or restrained by police? Go on, take a wild guess.

Yes, the organisers said itwas cancelled but it COULD have gone ahead legitimately had The Met engaged. They did not. Yet they turn up to man- handle and silence WOMEN! Maybe if they should’ve been celebrated a football win instead of trying to show solidarity with their sisters🙄

All the footage I’ve seen shows the police as the aggressors tonight. Could have - and should have - been handled so much better. But maybe just another example of women asking for it.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.