Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Hereforthegigs

Chatty Member
I've been watching the live stream. People are angry as they have every right to be. The police are pulling, pushing and dragging women who have not been doing anything to warrant manhandling. Police should have stayed well back, nearly out of sight. Instead, we have male policeman chasing women across Clapham Common. You couldn't write it.

This was a unique situation and the police should have handled it very carefully.
I was raped and left for dead when I was 14 in a park walking home from a friend's house, I'm now 28. Do I hate what's happened to me? Of course and if I'm honest I think about it every single day. However would I dream of acting like that at a victims vigil? Never, I would show as much respect as possible. There genuinely is no excuse

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 35

Nattabell

Sleeping with a 15 year old does not make her a paedophile. He was obviously underage though and she absolutely should have known better as a former police officer, social worker and current teacher. The reason she was paying that blackmail money is because she knew the shit she would be in if it came out...yet she was still clearly having sex with him! I don't know what she was thinking quite honestly.

All that said, she didn't deserve to die in such a horrible way and he didn't deserve to be attacked either.
Respectfully, it does make her a paedophile. He was 15 years old, in the eyes of the law he is a child. He is under the age of consent in the UK so he cannot consent to sexual activity. In her position this would be statutory rape. The more we, and the media use terminology for situations such as these as ‘a relationship’ and ‘sleeping with’ the more it is perpetuated that this is acceptable behaviour, when it is both illegal and immoral. If a man in his 40s was behaving in this manner towards a 15 year old girl would the wording be the same? Would he be ‘sleeping with’ her? No. This absolutely does not justify the horrendous outcome in this situation, but we must stop using terms that normalise rape and sexual abuse as ‘relationships’.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

sassmaster3000

Chatty Member
Someone I know was recently accused of historical rape and questioned by the police. Apparently the policeman said to him, “off the record”, “don’t worry mate this won’t go anywhere, we get loads of scorned ex girlfriends in these days just throwing the rape word around”

Who the fuck are we meant to trust if this is the attitude of the people who are meant to be protecting us?

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 26
“We could all be Sarah” is something that I think has resonated with most of us this week. The fact that she’s a normal girl with a normal job living in a normal inner city area opposed to being a drug addict prostitute living in a red light district-Something that majority of us can’t relate to.
I'm old enough that I've lived through reporting of several cases like this (by which I mean a woman murdered by a stranger), including someone who was a couple of years older that me whilst we were at school (she was just walking too). I've also researched similar cases in depth for academic purposes.

I've never seen a public reaction like this. I don't know what has changed this time. Is it lockdown? Is it the metoo movement, or is it just that women have had enough. Maybe a combination of all of it.

Reactions: 25
How can you have sympathy for someone who allowed her baby to be abused and killed? The article said she had 16 fractured ribs and would of been in considerable pain and that’s not including the 3 separate head injury’s! She was born premature and would of been tiny and totally helpless 😡
So, for me, I can empathise with her because she has lost her child and she must carry enormous guilt. I can think about all the different strands that could have contributed, so did she have a mental health issue, post natal depression, general depression etc, was the relationship abusive or coercive?, did she have another diagnosis the public weren't aware of or even one that was an issue but wasn't diagnosed.

I can look at her background and accept that she may have suffered trauma. That's not to suggest that all people in her situation have the same experience because you can't generalise. It's definitely wrong to suggest that just because she had been in the care system she would be an inferior parent. That's straight up tosh. However, it would also be wrong to dismiss her experiences and their potential influence.

From the little information we gave it seems she wasn't coping. I can empathise with this whilst also acknowledging her actions (or inaction) was wrong.

In a similar situation, and this will be unpopular, I can empathise with Shamima Begum having lost three of her children. It must have been beyond difficult for her. I can look at the situation rationally and know that she was 17, so still a minor, when she made that decision and that immature people make mistakes. So too, I can understand that whilst it might be kind to give people a second chance, it just isn't sensible. So despite my bleeding heart, lefty liberal tendencies, even I believe that it's the right choice not to allow her home (in part due to learning about the alleged involvement of other members of her family with nefarious business).

I think my point is that it is perfectly possible to see all sides of a situation, to empathise and try to understand, without that meaning you condone the actions.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Interesting but I think it's crass to call what happened to her "unlucky" and then to continue on to say not all men.
It's not crass. Sarah was her friend. She knew her, she has a right to voice how she thinks Sarah would view things. She was unlucky. Unlucky that she was in the same vicinity as someone who wished to commit harm to another human being. Our whole existence consists of sliding door moments. Five minutes here or there and it would have been someone else. Another group of people's lives ruined; different ripples, in different pools. As other people have said, we could all be Sarah.

Reactions: 24

ManicMayz

Following this case the past few days has left me feeling completely drained. When my husband came back from work I went up for a lie down and have only just woken up. Sounds daft but I think my body needed to shut down to process it all. I keep thinking about all the women I know who've been followed in the street, stalked, experienced dv, been assaulted, raped. It's basically every woman i know. Starting from when we're children. Cases like this give us a moment where we're "allowed" to talk about it for a few days but then it all goes quiet again and nothing changes. My Grandma who would be in her 90s now taught me how to escape if someone grabbed me from behind. I was about 8 or 9 at the time. I remember it seeming really funny at the time. Horseplaying about with her. Now in my 30s I look back and realise why she was teaching me that and it's utterly depressing 😔.
I really dread to think how many crimes WC has committed that haven't been reported or looked into properly. How many other women have "disappeared" and not been found over the decades. So desperately sad.

• Sad
  • Heart

rlouisep9

VIP Member
I’ve just seen a video on tiktok. Not a single bit of social distancing going on (yes I know that’s not the be all and end all considering what’s happened but still), chanting “shame on you” to the police. I know there’s been failings and investigation into the flashing but come on 😩 the police do not deserve this
My social media is now full of people police bashing, forgetting that police are people too. Policewomen would have been present alongside policemen this evening. They are angry and upset that one of their own did what they did to Sarah, the VAST majority are in the force to help.

The vigil shouldn't have gone ahead, I appreciate people are upset and want a way to show support but it just isn't the right time. The police would have followed orders tonight, I doubt they wanted things to go how they did. Could it have been handled more sensitively? Possibly, but did there needs to be chants directed at them? No.

Smellycat18

I understand where you’re coming from, but surely the same can be said for the Met? Why didn’t they better engage with the vigil rather than just saying they opposed it? How did it get to a point where they were holding women down? There surely should have been a better way of dealing with the situation that didn’t involve that level of force against women.
I completely agree.

Last Sunday, where I live, hundreds of football fans turned up at the main square, pissed out their faces, causing damage, fighting amongst themselves (when they weren’t hugging each other!!!). No social distancing, there was damage to property and we’re all supposed to stay indoors. Were any of them man-handled or restrained by police? Go on, take a wild guess.

Yes, the organisers said itwas cancelled but it COULD have gone ahead legitimately had The Met engaged. They did not. Yet they turn up to man- handle and silence WOMEN! Maybe if they should’ve been celebrated a football win instead of trying to show solidarity with their sisters🙄

All the footage I’ve seen shows the police as the aggressors tonight. Could have - and should have - been handled so much better. But maybe just another example of women asking for it.

• Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
Are we still allowed to discuss the case without making accusatory statements?
The other thread was closed because it was getting distasteful and out of hand over a recent tragedy (and because people kept ignoring that policing a thread isn't allowed).

Tattle is a gossip forum and it didn't sit right having her name as a title so we thought best to end it after the 2nd thread as much has already been said and there's another thread for people to talk about their own experiences.

Keep it respectful and report anyone policing a thread :)

Merpedy

VIP Member
I dont know, i think if i was in her shoes i would try and act as normal as i can be if i saw paps outside. You dont know she might have had a massive breakdown in the car which the media doesnt want to show. Or maybe her lawyers told her to act like that? we just dont know.
Honestly people are expecting her to walk around sobbing or something. People are very very good at hiding their emotions, she could be having the worst day of her life and you just wouldn't know. I'm sure we don't accept telling people with depression they're not depressed enough because they don't look sad :rolleyes:

• Heart

lasttime

The vigil started peaceful, a local Councillor held a minutes silence, gave a speech and told everyone to go home after from what I saw then it was taken over by protesters and now its chaos, flowers being trampled etc. This isn't what it should of become, I keep tuning into live footage and it's just making me angry and sad. The respect for Sarah has been lost in favour of throwing abuse at police for doing their jobs.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 23

Be More Pacific

VIP Member
Is anyone familiar with that massive rape/rugby case in Northern Ireland? It’s passed now without charge so presume it’s ok to discuss? The players found not guilty, were a long way from proven innocent. Caused massive unrest in Ireland, protests etc. The men involved I believe, in order to get professional contracts moved to mainland UK, but still have careers, personally I feel they should not have, but in eyes of the law, I guess they should. Anyone else have any feelings on this?
It's a hard one because, technically, they were found not guilty but again, far from innocent in my opinion #ibelieveher

Much like that scumbag RAPIST Ched Evans. His idiotic girlfriend, who went on national TV to shame his victim and went on to marry and gave kids with him, is equally as vile.

What I will say is that I have absolutely no doubt that rape at the hands of professional sportsmen happens every weekend in this country. It's just usually covered up because of how much money they have. I truly believe that.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

Catsontoast

There's a documentary on MTV UK next Wednesday at 10pm about the death of Kirsty Maxwell, the young Scottish woman who was on a hen do in Benidorm and somehow ended falling from the balcony of an apartment belonging to a group of men.

This is a case I have followed closely as the family have been badly let down by the Spanish police investigation and I definitely think the men in that apartment know more than they are letting on.

It is part of a series called True Life Crime UK, I've also downloaded the first episode about Jayden Parkinson, a teenager who went missing in Oxford. This is not a case I'm familiar with but I shall give it a watch.

• Sad

Jane Fonda

I've been watching the live stream. People are angry as they have every right to be. The police are pulling, pushing and dragging women who have not been doing anything to warrant manhandling. Police should have stayed well back, nearly out of sight. Instead, we have male policeman chasing women across Clapham Common. You couldn't write it.

This was a unique situation and the police should have handled it very carefully.

We've all been reading the stories, women are angry and wanted to both show respect to Sarah while at the same time showing that they have the right to walk home at night. Nobody has a gun or a knife. The police are compounding the anger by being on the offensive. If the police stayed away, who would the protesters be in conflict with?

• Wow
  • Angry

Hereforthegigs

Chatty Member
Yeah alot of these women are there to express their own personal anger, Sarahs vigil is not the time or the place. This was all about showing her and her family the upmost respect, showing care and love. Not shouting and screaming at the police who did not commit this murder.

• Angry
Reactions: 20