Real Life Crime and Murder #21

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t believe that statement from Surrey Police. Asking for video footage? The footage has been everywhere already (I kept scrolling past it on my Twitter feed because I didn’t want to see it).

What is wrong with our police? Imagine being that cruel to a defenceless animal.
I don't know if anyone else remembers but this has happened before.

A good few years ago (I can't remember which police force) two officers in a patrol car deliberately and repeatedly rammed a cow which was wandering n the road to kill it so that it didn't cause a danger to the public (allegedly). it took a long time and IIRC a vet was finally called to the scene to end it. It was horrific. There was (rightly) an outcry. I've had a search and can't find it, but I can definitely remember it happening. I did find these, but I don't think that either is the one I was thinking of. It's shocking how common this seems to be.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Surely you could get a vet out to dart the poor thing? It's not like it's a man eating lion FFS.

Reactions: 19
How many centuries of agriculture and livestock rearing in this country have we had and ramming a frightened animal with a vehicle is chosen as the best method in 2024. Wtf.

• Angry
Reactions: 29
That poor calf, it wasn't even a fully grown cow - it is between the calf and fully grown stage. It might not have left its mother that long ago. I grew up on a farm and sometimes animals escaped and were in our back garden just chilling (I woke up to some outside my bedroom window once) and get some food you were sorted. I am sure other farmers would have help, shake a bucket they will come. It was probably absolutely petrified being away from its herd and it charging was a defence mechanism. There are so many ways to deal with animals, dart it, get it somewhere quieter, not bloody run it over TWICE and injure it. What absolute twats.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I noticed someone on Twitter trying to justify what the police did by saying “what if it caused a terrible car pile up?” and “what if it hurt a group of children?”

It was 9 o’clock at night. It didn’t do any of those things. The police were stupid, lazy and cruel. They wouldn’t have done it to a horse or a dog. When those loose horses were galloping through central London, I didn’t see anyone suggesting that the police should have rammed them with cars to get it over more quickly.

• Heart
Reactions: 32

The state of it.

And stealing a charity box? About as low as you can go.

Well, this is part of the example he was set…

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9

update on the calf from the owners partner. Glad she's ok but could still be in shock.
Police update now too, officer involved removed from front line duties. Even if they couldn't contact any local vets, it doesn't appear that anyone was in immediate danger so I can't see how their actions are going to be successfully justified.

Reactions: 13
I was horrified before I saw the video. Now I’ve (accidentally) seen it, I feel sick. I am certain the officer driving was trying to kill that poor animal

Reactions: 11
Police update now too, officer involved removed from front line duties. Even if they couldn't contact any local vets, it doesn't appear that anyone was in immediate danger so I can't see how their actions are going to be successfully justified.
Just trying to justify their actions. Which we all know is BS, Cows only charge if they feel threatened and when people are chasing it and shouting then that will happen. There will have been local farmers who they could have contacted who would have put it in their field until the owner collected it, I am sure they would have helped out.

Reactions: 13
I've twice encountered large animals wandering on the public road (live in a semi-rural area).

I'm not confident with them, but first time Mr Mice was with me and when we encountered a horse on the main road, he got hold of its mane and guided it towards the nearest farm - I went on ahead with the dogs, which I tied to a gate before going up to the farmhouse to let the farmer know. It was about 10.00 at night - it wasn't his horse but he put it in the field with his own and said he'd sort it in the morning. Nobody hurt, no drama.

The second time it was me and the dogs and we encountered a bullock starting towards the main road. This was mid--morning and there is a lot of traffic, so that was potentially more serious. There's nothing to grab on a bullock and I was alone so I ran like the wind towards the farm, again tied my dogs to a gate and went through the farmhouse to let them know where it was. Someone came and corralled it back into the field. Again, nobody hurt, no drama.

I have to admit I was more worried about the bullock than the horse because cattle can be very funny around dogs, but it was just curious.

Long-winded, but the point is that almost every one of these animals is just lost and wondering where to go - if they are kept calm, and people are stopped from going near them and panicking them, they won't be a problem. There is certainly no need for the type of brutality the police seem to show so often.

If an animal IS a danger then just keep people away - block off the road, call a vet (or even a police marksman if it is such a problem) - but there is no need to be such a cruel, stupid twit about it. Do any of these officers ever stop to think?

Reactions: 18
I haven't watched the video, I thought it might be upsetting
Don’t watch it. I didn’t mean to, it played on a link. The police car was actually a pickup - Ford Ranger type - and the speed shocked me.

IMG_8077.jpeg

In videos you do see the cow get up, and obviously we know now that it’s alive, but it doesn’t make it any better. I say it’s alive, won’t say okay as I honestly will be surprised if it doesn’t have more injuries than cuts and grazes.
---
It astounds me that they say this was a final option after hours of trying to stop it.

Hours.

How did not one person think ‘oh I know let’s contact a farmer’
Or an agricultural vet!

The rural police are in contact with the farmer now it’s back, where were they before? The farming community would absolutely have stepped up.

I remember the previous thread about the police car ramming a cow in Berkshire in 2021. Posters found evidence that it is legal to kill livestock if its owner gives permission, which in thar case the farmer was on the scene and had given permission.

I suspect, rather than not contact random farmers for help, they had the farmer who owned it there, giving permission, otherwise they’d be breaking the law.

although of course that could be why the officer has now been suspended.

I remember the previous thread about the police car ramming a cow in Berkshire in 2021. Posters found evidence that it is legal to kill livestock if its owner gives permission, which in thar case the farmer was on the scene and had given permission.

I suspect, rather than not contact random farmers for help, they had the farmer who owned it there, giving permission, otherwise they’d be breaking the law.

The farmer was not there.

IMG_8081.jpeg
IMG_8082.jpeg

I think it’s highly unlikely that any decent farmer would permit that treatment on their animal.

Reactions: 14

Luckily it only suffered some injuries to it's leg, what happened if it broke it's leg or did die? The farmer was not present, other people helped it into a field. No owner would allow their animal, regardless of it being a farm one, to be struck by a big car! Most farmers would want it to be calm, driving at it then hitting it twice is not acceptable. There is zero excuse for this.

• Sad
I can’t believe that police took 2 hours to try and secure the cow and decided that hitting it with their reinforced van was a sensible idea. In that time they could have called a farmer, a police unit that deals with animals etc, anything.
I live rurally and if we rammed every loose farm animal that had wandered into a local town or village there would be no live stock left!
I can.
Someone ( a traveler) put a randy cart horse in my garden on Christmas Eve.
It took hours on the phone trying to get the police to contact the owner - in the meantime it was kicking the house.
In the end the only reason they did anything was when I threatened to let it out.
---
I worked for a short time with the police and quite often there were calls about deer in the road I was shocked that they go out and shoot them
What else would they do?

• Angry
Reactions: 1
Luckily it only suffered some injuries to it's leg, what happened if it broke it's leg or did die? The farmer was not present, other people helped it into a field. No owner would allow their animal, regardless of it being a farm one, to be struck by a big car! Most farmers would want it to be calm, driving at it then hitting it twice is not acceptable. There is zero excuse for this.
That’s what I said though the previous incident in 2021 the framer *did* give permission. It’s in the articles and inquiry report.
if the farmer didn’t give permission (as he didn’t in this most recent case according to the above) then the officer risks being prosecuted for animal cruelty

Reactions: 1