Real Life Crime and Murder #21

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t believe the Mail have named and pictured the lady who was the driver in the Wimbledon crash. It has already been determined she wasn’t at fault so why should she be shamed in this way?
I think it's disgusting picturing her as I'm sure she will be suffering from what happened. Of course I feel for the families of the two little girls but this was an unfortunate tragic event. Medical episodes do unfortunately happen with no warning but thankfully they often aren't quite as tragic. There was absolutely no reason for her to have named let alone pictured.

Reactions: 19
If I were her, I'd be on to a lawyer asap. There was no legitimate reason to print her name and pic except clicks and to provoke outrage. She's not a public figure and now her medical history is on blast with her identity. Not fair and I would assume not legal.

Reactions: 23
It sounds like the families of the girls who died are not happy that she hasn’t been prosecuted. That’s so sad. They are implying there isn’t proof she had a seizure but there must have been… feel so sad for all of them.

Reactions: 9
I can’t believe the jury are still deliberating in the Karen Read case. No evidence John was hit with a vehicle makes it a clear NG from me. Not often I feel confident in my verdicts as an armchair juror.

Reactions: 8
I can’t believe the jury are still deliberating in the Karen Read case. No evidence John was hit with a vehicle makes it a clear NG from me. Not often I feel confident in my verdicts as an armchair juror.
It is probably the drink driving that's the sticking point.
But in general I agree.

It sounds like the families of the girls who died are not happy that she hasn’t been prosecuted. That’s so sad. They are implying there isn’t proof she had a seizure but there must have been… feel so sad for all of them.
It's very difficult for the families - their children are dead and the evidence hasn't been tested in court.

In Glasgow we've had 2 similar cases - the bin lorry crash and a crash that killed 2 students also just before Christmas. Both of the men behind the wheels of these vehicles had previous spells of ill health but both walked away. The bin lorry guy was even caught driving whilst his licence was suspended.

I suppose if they can't get a conviction with a previous medical history, they're not gonna get one with no medical history.

Honestly, I hope the lady concerned has surrendered her licence cos she can never be sure it won't happen again.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
I feel for the families and they are obviously suspicious that this woman does not actually have epilepsy and has paid lawyers to help her avoid criminal charges. They need someone to blame for their terrible loss but in reality it was a tragic accident. I know a bit about epilepsy as I have it myself, and have been disappointed when reading comments on newspaper articles about this incident that show many people know very little about it. She must be absolutely devastated about what’s happened and now she has been named and people are viewing her with suspicion.
My consultant told me it is not uncommon to be diagnosed as an adult after previously being asymptomatic, and that a first seizure can seemingly come out of nowhere. Anyone could have a seizure under the right (wrong?) circumstances, but if you have epilepsy the threshold is lower, and can be triggered by stress, illness, tiredness, alcohol, hormones etc. I was diagnosed solely on describing my symptoms and description from someone who witnessed me have a seizure. My scans (MRI and EEG) were normal so there was no “evidence” as such. [\SPOILER]
This is what is hard for people to understand but unless you have some sort of genetic condition where your brainwaves are constantly abnormal then an EEG is just a snapshot in time- if you aren’t having a seizure when it’s done then it won’t show anything. The requirement from DVLA is to have your seizures under control and be symptom free for a year then you can drive as normal. I personally wouldn’t risk it but others don’t have a lot of choice (commuting etc) and if they are well they are allowed to drive.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I feel for the families and they are obviously suspicious that this woman does not actually have epilepsy and has paid lawyers to help her avoid criminal charges. They need someone to blame for their terrible loss but in reality it was a tragic accident. I know a bit about epilepsy as I have it myself, and have been disappointed when reading comments on newspaper articles about this incident that show many people know very little about it. She must be absolutely devastated about what’s happened and now she has been named and people are viewing her with suspicion.
My consultant told me it is not uncommon to be diagnosed as an adult after previously being asymptomatic, and that a first seizure can seemingly come out of nowhere. Anyone could have a seizure under the right (wrong?) circumstances, but if you have epilepsy the threshold is lower, and can be triggered by stress, illness, tiredness, alcohol, hormones etc. I was diagnosed solely on describing my symptoms and description from someone who witnessed me have a seizure. My scans (MRI and EEG) were normal so there was no “evidence” as such. [\SPOILER]
This is what is hard for people to understand but unless you have some sort of genetic condition where your brainwaves are constantly abnormal then an EEG is just a snapshot in time- if you aren’t having a seizure when it’s done then it won’t show anything. The requirement from DVLA is to have your seizures under control and be symptom free for a year then you can drive as normal. I personally wouldn’t risk it but others don’t have a lot of choice (commuting etc) and if they are well they are allowed to drive.
My neighbour had his first epileptic fit in his 20s recently, he lives with his Dad still, and Dad was absolutely terrified by the whole thing. It really can come out of the blue. Of course the kid is more annoyed about having to sell his car than the actual medical implications but I guess you feel more invincible at that age.

Reactions: 11
My dad developed epilepsy in his 40s. He was "lucky" that it was at work. 15 minutes later he would have been driving home

Reactions: 11
If anyone remembers the Plymouth / Keyham shooting, there's a documentary on BBC 3 tonight about it
I was annoyed that it was all about that piece of tit and not one photograph of the victims was shown, despite a relative being interviewed.

• Sad
  • Angry
My dad developed epilepsy in his 40s. He was "lucky" that it was at work. 15 minutes later he would have been driving home
I developed epilepsy in my mid 20’s. I’m glad your dad was in a safe place and not driving! Hope he’s as well as he can be now?

Reactions: 5
I also know someone who was diagnosed in their early 30’s. Very frightening for him. I feel very sorry for this woman, I can understand the family feeling like they need to lay blame but hopefully in time they will accept it was an awful tragic accident.

Reactions: 9
I can’t believe the Mail have named and pictured the lady who was the driver in the Wimbledon crash. It has already been determined she wasn’t at fault so why should she be shamed in this way?
I was really shocked to see they not only named her but pictured her. They are actively trying to incite a witch hunt and considering the verdict, this is absolutely disgusting. Even for Fail standards it is a new low, and is horrifying.

I feel so much for the parents who lost their children that day but it was a tragic accident. The driver's only "crime" was wanting to be in a 4x4 in London but that doesn't justify the Fail's actions either.

I hope the driver is being supported, she will be no doubt extremely traumatised as it is but to now be identified, she could be at genuine risk of harm from others.

• Angry
Reactions: 16
I developed epilepsy in my mid 20’s. I’m glad your dad was in a safe place and not driving! Hope he’s as well as he can be now?
he's fine thanks. He had another (I unfortunately had to hear it) a few months later. But he only had those two.

Reactions: 7
The driver’s husband is a very senior banker, has been in the news himself. The family is obviously exceedingly wealthy and living a charmed life. But that’s all ruined now, she will never be free from the torment of what’s happened- and now the world knows too.

You get the feeling the daily mail desperately wanted her to be guilty and because they couldn’t have that outcome they’ve made her guilty by association and printed a picture for the world to see. which will not only have a lifelong impact for her, but also for her own children.

• Sad
Reactions: 21
I would think that blood test results must have shown chemical changes which indicated an epileptic fit - things like fits, heart attacks etc release (I think) different electrolytes into the bloodstream which can be identified and tracked.

They won't have just taken her word or it.

It's very difficult for the families - their children are dead and the evidence hasn't been tested in court.

In Glasgow we've had 2 similar cases - the bin lorry crash and a crash that killed 2 students also just before Christmas. Both of the men behind the wheels of these vehicles had previous spells of ill health but both walked away. The bin lorry guy was even caught driving whilst his licence was suspended.

I suppose if they can't get a conviction with a previous medical history, they're not gonna get one with no medical history.

Honestly, I hope the lady concerned has surrendered her licence cos she can never be sure it won't happen again.
It doesn’t need to be dragged through court though and I suspect the families would be even more hurt when the inevitable happened and the driver was found not guilty because it was clearly a tragic accident with no prior history. All taking it to court would be doing is prolonging the torture all round, v different to cases where there was a medical history.

ETA: the parents feelings are understandable but the constant complaining in the tabloids and wanting to string someone innocent up is awful regardless of the parents grief - see also the mum of the boy who was killed in the Nottingham attack where justice was done due to the attackers clear medical condition but she’s not happy with it. The tabloids are taking advantage of it but there comes a point where the families should say “Ok, this is how it is, we need to move on.”

Reactions: 10
Karen Read jury coming back in.

It seems they have a question.
---
Hung jury...

Sent out again.

Last edited: