Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Boogs

VIP Member
She is quick to blame social workers without any acknowledgment about why social care was involved in the first place. Although they have a reputation for stealing kids thresholds are high, social care don’t get involved for no reason.

I don’t buy the reason why he wasn’t living with her either.

Reactions: 28

Flowerpotgirl

VIP Member
His name is Ariel Castro, wiki has a lot of information about it. Think it was in Ohio which has the death penalty.
That’s him. What a completely awful situation fit those women. Years of suffering.
I have a friend who was abducted. They never found her body, and there has never been closure. My worst fear is that she is alive in someone’s basement chained to a radiator. I just hope she isn’t suffering somewhere.

• Sad
  • Heart

Islawight

Chatty Member
Surely she's not driving, given that she killed people by driving? That makes no sense.
Unfortunately, she’s not banned until convicted. How painful for the parents to know she’s still driving around. If I had hurt anybody let alone killed a child whilst driving it’s unlikely I could ever get behind the wheel again. So shameful and shows a lack of remorse.

• Wow
  • Sad

LouBug19

VIP Member
Killing a human being via a method deemed too unethical for animals does NOT make world a better place. Exactly the opposite.
It just reminds me of the holocaust. That gas was used to kill millions of people horribly. Now they are using it to execute people who take over 20 mins to die. We aren't painting the guy as a Saint.. I don't think the death penalty is justice, he should've got life without parole. The way they killed him wasn't justified, he deserved to be in prison for life, he didn't deserve to be a guinea pig so that other states now use it.

Gossngiggles

VIP Member
I’ve been reading about Alfie Steele today and it’s honestly so shocking that so many people raised concerns over a long period of time but he still remained in the home until he was murdered. Even when teachers, neighbours etc are raising concerns and telling the authorities what they have seen he wasn’t protected. I can’t imagine what he went through.

This quote from the report the makes me think wtf "were often hampered by two adults who sought to deliberately lie, mislead and cover up what was happening to this little boy" were they expecting his mum and her piece of shit boyfriend to be honest and say they were abusing Alfie? They had reliable people giving them information about what was going on in that house.

Social services needs a huge shake up, I did my degree 20 years ago now and there was talk of lessons being learned (in the wake Victoria Climbe and Baby P ) and better practice and interagency working then but still the same things happen again and again and the same trite lines are being trotted out two decades on.

• Sad
  • Heart

Stillwater

VIP Member
A girl or woman who was not empowered to take control of her situation, many situations along the way (conception, pregnancy, birth). Empathy perhaps if not sympathy.

• Heart

maytoseptember

VIP Member
I'm really uncomfortable with the timing of this given a) it's the BBC and they have a dog in the fight discrediting accusers b) someone somewhere signed off the release of the report into police failures for the cases resulting in convictions to coincide with this documentary.

There's not enough convictions for rape to make something as disproportionate as false statements newsworthy. If the landscape was different and rape convictions weren't so rare this "unique" case would be less jarring. Very odd decisions imo.
To be honest I’m uncomfortable any time a massive deal is made of a woman making false allegations of rape/abuse, because it only serves to perpetuate the myth that it’s really commonplace, and we should all be very suspicious of a woman making allegations and ask ourselves what she’s out to get.

I felt the same when the BBC made a documentary about a young female domestic abuser. They wouldn’t bother making one with the sexes reversed, because it’s too everyday.

• Heart

MedeaWho

Chatty Member
Rape is not about desire or libido. It’s about ultimate power over another human being. Castrated rapists aren’t ‘cured’.

SkippyDoo

Chatty Member
The authorities have to step in in extreme cases but that system is meant to be a safety net. It’s a bit much for the mother to blame them when she doesn’t seem to have done anything to check on her son herself; clearly the fault is partly her own.

I think it’s possible the police could have done more from what we know right now, and the “What has society come to?” type stuff from the likes of Jeremy Kyle (the audacity!) is noted, but the erosion of personal / family responsibility so that this is all the police or social services’ fault every time is not a pleasant development in modern British life. “Society” did not do this. The mother did not check on her own son and an “argument” with the father weeks ago is hardly a good reason to have dropped out of her child’s life entirely in the short term. Of course, people need to do their jobs properly but looking after your own loved ones is a basic element of humanity that comes before even that. If you don’t do it then it says a lot about you.

It's definitely a police failure more than a SS failure because they were told immediately about the child etc and didn't react, yet once a friend of mine was working away for a few days and his nosey neighbour called it in as a welfare call and they kicked his door in immediately!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I don’t agree with the death penalty under any circumstances. It’s medieval and if you look at the list of counties who have the death penalty the USA is an outlier in that it’s not impoverished, run by dictators and not completely lacking in humans rights for all people not just prisoners.

I don’t really see the point in pulling up the poster who writes to a prisoner with little “gotchas” about how awful he is- like she cares what a bunch of strangers on the internet think of her friendships and she doesn’t need to justify it to you.

that said I don’t believe people who write to prisoners are doing it for kind and supportive reasons. I think it allows them to get the excitement of being close to danger and dysfunction in a safe way - similar to a white saviour getting off on swooping in to save the starving black orphans.
I don’t believe they do this consciously and fully expect that anyone who has had this kind of friendship will tell me very firmly that I’m wrong.
---
I have no sympathy that the food in prison is awful. Don't murder people and then you get to stay out of prison and eat decent food.
That’s such a minor and pointless thing to pick out of a fantastic post- you’re completely diminishing everything the poster said by boiling it down to one minor thing you don’t care about. The poster was clearly reflecting a sentiment of poor treatment, rather than the food point to be taken in isolation.

• Heart

Danica Catrick

Chatty Member
Listening to Jeremy Vine earlier on Radio 2 it was explained that International Law states if an offender spends less than 12 months in prison they are still entitled to be considered for asylum! I can’t believe we listen to these ridiculous laws!
People who commit violent or sexual offences shouldn't be getting sentences of less than 12 months, in my opinion, so this law shouldn't be applicable.

Tangerine Cat

VIP Member
Listening to Jeremy Vine earlier on Radio 2 it was explained that International Law states if an offender spends less than 12 months in prison they are still entitled to be considered for asylum! I can’t believe we listen to these ridiculous laws!
I want to know why nobody does their job properly nowadays.* How many people did that man fool? A man with a conviction for sexual offences should NOT be allowed to stay here at all. So why was he here to apply 3 times?

I'm really getting angry about the state of our country, I'm actually hoping people start to riot to let the government know how pissed off and angry we all are.

*Look at the post office and Horizon scandal!
---
Just be aware, it’s the Daily Fail writing that… we all know how they like to word things and appeal to a certain type
So what? Those are the facts and it's time we did something about these Muslim men with disgusting attitudes towards women and children.

My sister was in a relationship with a Muslim man for a while. You wont find a more hypocritical religion, the way men are bought up to think about women is appalling.

Sprezza

VIP Member
I don't think all convicts on death row are evil psychopaths. I imagine many of them who made a terrible decision many years ago have grown considerably in that time and taken the opportunity to reflect and express remorse, perhaps try to make amends as best they can. Nothing can lessen the crime they committed but equally they are a whole person aside from their crime. I can understand how people could not get past the crime though.

Reactions: 26

Violetroselily

VIP Member
Poor little Bronson has been on my mind a lot. Even if the awful events of the last couple of weeks hadn't happened, he didn't stand a chance with those people as parents. The dad obviously had a lot of issues regarding lifestyle and health and whilst he may have been trying "his best" to look after Bronson, clearly he was failing catastrophically. We don't know that much about his mother yet but the fact that Bronson was with his dad despite all his issues rather than with her indicates that she was completely unable or unwilling to care for him. Her behaviour since his death, blaming everyone but herself, posting rants on social media, has been revolting. She is quoted as saying to the Scum "We have to be able to rely on social workers to keep our children safe". Mindblowing. Poor poor boy, this has made me so angry and so sad.
Completely agree. The sheer audacity of the mother to be publicly blaming social services, the frankly disgusting comments from the neighbour, the landlord saying she's "absolutely mortified" that it happened in her property - its like none of them give a shit about Bronson, they are just wanting to make his death someone else's responsibility and centering themselves into the story for a bit of attention and money.

He deserved so much more from life

• Heart

LouBug19

VIP Member
When he went missing in December, he was asking for help with his mental health then, but he walked out of the hospital unattended and didn’t receive any follow up
It's absolutely awful the mental health in our country. I know someone who turned up to the mental health hospital begging for help and they were turned away. Makes me so angry, we are told to open up about our mental health but then told "oh no we won't help you". It's just awful all round.

• Sad

Shesaidwhat?

VIP Member
I know this comment is going to come across in bad taste but I’ve stumbled across this thread because I searched to see if there’s a thread about Bronson.
I just can’t shake there’s something extremely off about his mother- going straight to The Scum aside nothing quite adds up.
She says she hadn’t seem him since November and was due to give him his Christmas presents in January? Why not Christmas?
I know she says they’d rowed but surely you’d be checking on your son with multiple messages/phone calls and to send New Year wishes over.
The photos of him break my heart, I know the papers are probably trying to paint a picture but he looks disheveled and unhappy in all the photos.