Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Multi-21

VIP Member
I saw an advert last night for a show on channel 5 a year on from Nicola Bulley about the “unanswered questions”. Why can’t they leave her poor family alone

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 31

Ittybittytittyclub

Chatty Member
I'm in contact with the outreach worker and there are things in the background happening so that I will be leaving when I can. There isn't any physical violence, all emotional and coercive control, but, it's not a huge leap for some 🥺
I hope you can get away quickly and safely. I had to flee DV so I would recommend having all your ID, birth certificates, passports etc all together in one place or even at someone else’s home if possible. Start trying to put some cash aside overtime (I know this isn’t always possible)
Couple of changes of clothes for yourself and any children at someone else’s home so if you suddenly have to go or can’t return home you have clean clothes.
Any prescription slips keep them in case you get moved out of area.
I know these things arent always doable but those are the things that helped me as I was warned me and the children would be removed to a refuge but police didn’t know when, then he was arrested for a separate offence so we had an hours notice to leave.
sending you lots of love support and strength xxx

• Heart

savedlatin21

VIP Member
I see where you are coming from and in earlier posts I have shown full support for the SW but I mean the immediate family. Those who weren’t family seem to have cared more than a lot of them did.

Where were they? Why was there no support for the father from family if he was seen to be struggling?
Totally agree, especially over the Christmas period.

I saw the mother has 10 children, some of them in care… 🙄 sorry but some people just shouldn’t be allowed to procreate.

Boogs

VIP Member
Just in case anyone is reading these posts and it’s hitting close to home. You are worth more than this and you can escape this.

• Heart
Reactions: 30

Trauma Frotters

It does not seem bizarre to me that a person of faith would communicate kindly with a convicted murderer. To me, it seems very much to be faith in action and while not something I would wish to do, I do not find it enraging or revolting.

• Heart

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
If you're up for talking about it or even giving us a clue on how we can find out who he is, i won't judge anyway. I mean 20 is such a young age, and America doesn't believe in rehabilitation it seems. I don't think the state killing them is justice either, I think people who commit the worst crimes (in any country) should be sentenced to life.
I am happy to talk about him. His name is James Goff. His crime was committed in 1994 so before the internet, which means articles are hard to find. He is in Chillicothe. But they are due to relocate across the road (literally) in spring at an insane cost to the American tax payer.

We have never spoken about his crime, only when he went to appeal in 2018. Whether he is guilty or not makes no difference to me. But he has sat on death row for longer than my marriage. Since I was a teenager. I just can't imagine.

He is still a human being, who may or may not have committed this crime. He has seen me through 3 pregnancies, knitted each of my children baby blankets. Seen me through 4 international house moves. I add stamps to his jpay (the way we commumicate) I bought him the jpay tablet to make that easier. We video call once a week or so. My husband requested that I keep a boundary of not sharing photos of our children so he has never seen them, but I send him photos of places and things like that. I also write to him and send postcards etc.. I send him food packages once a month or so from the prison order book. He asks for things like ketchup, salad dressing, condiments we just have on tap

Death row is awful. The food they get is disgusting. Not fit for dogs. He has watched some good friends get that death warrant and not come back. That said Chilicothe is one of the 'better' ones. They get outside time, they aren't locked in their cells all day and can do little jobs to earn prison pay. The staff are generally ok.

To me it is just like having a friend who lives far away that you keep in touch with.

I will never believe that state sponsored murder is OK. It certainly isn't a deterrent to crime.

Sorry I went on a bit. I just wish people saw the other side to death row. Instead of all the documentaries that paint all the inmates so poorly and death row as such a dangerous place.

The average time between sentencing and an execution taking place is 19 years, he has over sat that by a long time. Ohio can't buy drugs for legal injection. So no-one is getting executed at the moment. The last execution was in 2018.
---
Well I'm not going to judge you @ordinaryjelly and I commend you for seeing the humanity behind the crime.

One thing I would be interested in is has he ever expressed remorse for what he did?

I'm sure he's a nice guy and you can see a side to him beyond his crime but I don't think I could do it.
His crime is that he murdered an 88 year old lady during a home robbery when he was 19. It was in 1994 so not much on the internet. I did link to his most recent appeal up above.

We have never talked about his crime. At the beginning I said I would never ask but was happy to talk about it if he wanted to. He never has.
---
So you weren’t friends prior to his crime then?
What makes someone decide to write to someone on Death Row? Genuine question because I honestly don‘t understand why anyone would choose to write to a complete stranger who had been found guilty of a crime like that.
Because he is still a human. He didn't stop being human when he became a criminal.

I started writing to him because I am of faith and it came up in our Church on the back of a church newsletter way back when. I decided to open my heart and mind to the idea.

To whoever asked if i talk about my friends and family to him. No, not in a detailed way. My children are older now and he remembers their birthdays every single year.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha

Portiapoo

i honestly don’t think anyone who hasn’t experienced PPP or been close to someone who has can determine how it effects or takes its toll. i was diagnosed after a difficult birth with my second child (despite having no mental health difficulties after my first) and it was the most horrendous experience. i was hearing voices, and paranoid and adamant i was being followed despite no evidence. it truly affects one’s ability to think rationally at all, and there will be many who have had worse experiences with it than me. i was lucky that i had a supportive husband, family and medical support to overcome it but despite it being 13 years ago now; i still remember it as the scariest experience ive ever had.

while i cannot defend anyone hurting their own child in any way, i do have sympathy for anyone experiencing such severe mental illness

• Heart

Tofino

VIP Member

Authorities suggest that only the most exceptional circumstances of intentional strangulation warrant a custodial sentence.

“My conclusion is that there is another way of dealing with this young man.

“He grabbed the victim by her neck and strangled her until she couldn’t breathe, that must have been terrifying for her.

“It is clearly an unhealthy relationship.”

Unhealthy relationship?! He attacked her to the point she couldn’t breathe.

I am shocked by this. Given how little time it could take for someone to die from this and how utterly terrifying it must be, I’m gobsmacked that he got a suspended sentence and that it seems to be the norm not to go to prison for this!!

• Angry
  • Wow

Dinate

Oh dear god here we go again,that poor lady😖WTF..it’s just so…….🙁

I don't understand why they weren't charged with attempted murder? They doused her with a caustic substance and force-fed her with pills which have left her in a vegetative state with no chance of recovery. They failed to call an ambulance for her for two to three days, which made the brain injury worse. She is now receiving palliative care, and although she might live for a number of years, her condition won't improve.

Surely this was a case of them trying to kill her? In a longer article in the DM, the judge is quoted as saying that 'It's difficult to imagine a more serious injury, short of death'. And yet they weren't even given the maximum sentence for what they were charged with, which was 10 years at the time of the offence.

There were no mitigating circumstances, and all the defendants were additionally found guilty of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. I honestly think the justice system in the UK is broken. They should have received the maximum sentence for what they were charged with.

• Angry
  • Sad

thenorthremembers

VIP Member
Regarding the dog attack, apparently he was a breeder and the dogs have been reported before. That poor woman, she must have been absolutely terrified. A backstreet breeder who couldn't properly raise their dogs. Just awful.
I read that he said nobody will tell him what to do with his dogs. They were never muzzled in public they weren’t even registered on the ban list. He was selling the pups at £500 each. People like him piss me off. Scum. That poor woman.

• Sad

BarryEvansHun

While I agree with you about schizophrenia the NHS etc, these men keep killing women. They don't kill men (as far as I know? I'm happy to be proved wrong).

If they're truly so ill, why don't they go around killing anyone? It's always women.
---

Proper castration would be more effective, indeed.

https://tattle.life/threads/19920/

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-la...uffered-relapse-of-schizophrenia-trial-hears/

https://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/ne...ed-elderly-men-continues-compensation-battle/

https://www.doughtystreet.co.uk/new...hizophrenia-acquitted-murder-and-manslaughter

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/n...c-man-killed-fellow-patient-newcastle-clinic/

Need I say more. Men, women, children, even cats have become victim to schizophrenic violence, it’s definitely not just women and I don’t know why you think this. Men killing women is not a symptom of schizophrenia, it’s not in the DSM. People with schizophrenia rarely kill anybody and are not usually violent. People with this illness are TRULY unwell and if their illness causes them to become violent it means they are in crisis. Schizophrenics aren’t just out roaming the streets killing people. It’s a rare event. That’s why you will see it in the media. ‘Normal’ men kill a woman every 2 days. Will rarely make the news because it’s so common. As a woman you are more likely to get killed for having a boyfriend than walking past a schizophrenic in the street

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 29

Eureka

VIP Member
I'm a social worker. There are good and bad social workers and their are social workers who are so burnt out and overburdened that they can't work as effectively as they need to. The system we work in is also not compatible with the work we do, we have limited power or influence as individual workers and are relying on our line managers who often have no personal knowledge of the family.

• Sad
  • Heart

thenorthremembers

VIP Member
Programme on Nicola Bulley tonight ch5 9pm, about "the mystery of her disappearance that left the nation holding its breath".

Can't believe it happened a whole year ago, last January
Why can’t they leave the poor woman alone now, it won’t be helping her family either.

• Heart

BarryEvansHun

No.

He should be sent to prison (for the rest of his life) when considered 'well enough'.

I do not relish him ever being released back into public life.

Take one life - you may get the chance to one day be free.

More than one - never see the outside world again.

I suspect some of the 'be soft on murdering scum' wouldn't be so soft if it was one of their friends, or family members who were the victim of such a crime.
He is not suitable for prison, nor is prison suitable for him. Prison staff do not have the time nor the training nor the man power to handle him and his mental health to keep him, the other prisoners and the staff at the prison safe. It would be quite unfair on the prison to have him put in there. It is not likely he is ever going to leave hospital. Being on a hospital section is NOT a soft option.
None of us are ‘be soft on murdering scum’, your approach to keeping psychotic patients safe would have more people killed.
---
It's a tough one, he clearly had mental health issues for years and wasn't monitored enough. It's his responsibility to take his medication though but he was sectioned 4 times, kicked out of uni, sacked from work for attacking two colleagues and assaulted a police officer. All these warnings were there but he was allowed to walk around freely. I hope he's in there for life, he doesn't deserve to be out again. I understand the families anger, I know he heard voices which probably encouraged him but there needs to be more money invested in MH so that people like him are monitored better and there is practices in place to make sure he's taking his medication. Even as simple as picking it up from the pharmacy weekly or daily and they contact authorises to say they haven't picked up their medication.
What should have been done is, he should have been put on the antipsychotic depo injection. 1 jab a month and that’s all that’s needed. It’s very easy to become noncompliant when you have a psychotic disorder such a schizophrenia, as it’s one illness that can trick you into believing you don’t have it. He could have thought the MH team were poisoning him. Etc. I wish they would have reported why he stopped taking his medication / the delusions he was having. This case will stigmatise schizophrenia even more than it is already.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I honestly feel that given the known heath condition of the father the social worker should have raised the alarm right then and there when nobody answered on the visit. If anything, at least then the second alarm raise might have got a quicker response from the police and I do wonder what exactly was said when they called the police - for example did they tell the police about his health and the fact it had seemed to be worsening or was it only a basic outline.

I think SS failed on this one, it shouldn’t have taken so long for something to be done, and the fact the family also failed doesn’t negate that. Especially if the reason the mother wasn’t allowed near/to contact was because SS had advised that.
The SW contacted the police on the two occasions they attended and got no reply. The 3rd time they got a key and went in themselves

MissTeddy

VIP Member
Re: the Wimbledon crash. I read an interview in the Sunday Times with the bereaved parents. They see the driver of the vehicle driving around Wimbledon all the time - how awful. Although she's 'under investigation' she is no longer on bail.

• Sad
  • Wow

thegirlscout

VIP Member
I heard on the news yesterday she might lose sight in one eye. So evil and yes he is either no more or in hiding.
The poor lady. She manages to escape from an abusive relationship and this horror find her and harms her and her children. Where was her protection? Why are women who leave men not protected. He’s of no value to society - either lock him up for life, send him back to Afghanistan or hope the acid did the right thing and killed him. I’m so beyond fed up of men destroying women, destroying their lives and getting a paltry sentence.
‘oh but our justice system is about rehabilitation not revenge’ - if another person says that I swear I’ll have to slap them.

• Heart

Glaschelle

VIP Member
At the moment we don't know all the facts, but I'm feeling a bit sorry for the social worker. Imagine trying to contact the dad, getting no reply, getting the police, maybe kicking the door in, and he's just gone out for the day!!!

It really does annoy me when a tradegy happens and family crawl out of the woodwork giving Daily Mail Sad Faces.

There are limits to what social work can legally do. If there wasn't I'm sure Katie Price would never see any of her kids ever again.

Miss Havisham

VIP Member
The authorities need to crack down on dog breeding - it’s easy money for greedy people. The conditions some of these dogs are kept in is horrendous, and often children in the house.
All massive welfare / safety issues.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

MedeaWho

Chatty Member
I suspect the poor woman has left her abuser and took away the girls and he just couldn’t cope with that. There are no words to describe the pure evil this man is.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 28