Racism Discussions

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s not only names…What and by whom do others “ go through “ ?
Non white babies more likely to die or develop illness because the Agpar test that the NHS does bases the results on the appearance of "pale" or "pink" skin and no one's bothered to update it since 1952.

People with ethnic names having to change it on the CV to get a better chance at being employed (tested with identical CVs)

Black women being four times more likely to die during childbirth because they're seen as being able to tolerate pain so their complaints are ignored

Ethnic minority groups more likely to live in areas with toxic, polluted air (also linked to social class)

The oldest study is from 2019, the rest are from this year. These aren't outdated practices and they're causing detrimental or fatal outcomes.

Reactions: 3
I don’t understand why people say who’re people can’t experience racism when some have been killed for the colour of their skin.

Non white babies more likely to die or develop illness because the Agpar test that the NHS does bases the results on the appearance of "pale" or "pink" skin and no one's bothered to update it since 1952.

People with ethnic names having to change it on the CV to get a better chance at being employed (tested with identical CVs)

Black women being four times more likely to die during childbirth because they're seen as being able to tolerate pain so their complaints are ignored

Ethnic minority groups more likely to live in areas with toxic, polluted air (also linked to social class)

The oldest study is from 2019, the rest are from this year. These aren't outdated practices and they're causing detrimental or fatal outcomes.
That reads like another gov “to do list” failure other than racism, those reg have been in place since 1952 so makes me think it’s not an area they’re bothered about, maternity services have always been underfunded…People in deprived areas always had a higher disease/mortality rate, some cultures live in multigenerational households it’s not like the gov are going to build them mansions just like they wouldn’t do for a white man.

That reads like another gov “to do list” failure other than racism, those reg have been in place since 1952 so makes me think it’s not an area they’re bothered about, maternity services have always been underfunded…People in deprived areas always had a higher disease/mortality rate, some cultures live in multigenerational households it’s not like the gov are going to build them mansions just like they wouldn’t do for a white man.
This is such blatant ignorance I’m actually sort of surprised?

Reactions: 1
I don’t think it is ignorance, maternity care has been notoriously underfunded for years.Housing speaks for itself as does social deprivation.
Plus this is stated in one of the articles
IMG_6946.jpeg

What are you on about? Why are you trivialising serious issues?

No one's asking for red carpet treatment or a free house. Let's not pretend asking to be treated with decency is some kind of undue demand or form of entitlement.

They simply want to be treated equally so their lives and livelihoods aren't at risk. That's the bare minimum in a properly functioning society.
---
It's disgusting quite frankly.

What are you on about? Why are you trivialising serious issues?

No one's asking for red carpet treatment or a free house. Let's not pretend asking to be treated with decency is some kind of undue demand or form of entitlement.

They simply want to be treated equally so their lives and livelihoods aren't at risk. That's the bare minimum in a properly functioning society.
---

It's disgusting quite frankly.
I’m pointing out it’s not a racial issue, these things affect every part of society.
If you’ve ever given birth in an NHS setting you’ll find midwives are stretched depending on how many woman are admitted at any one time, dedicated birth plans are usually only afforded to those that can pay in the likes of the Portland.

I’m pointing out it’s not a racial issue, these things affect every part of society.
The point is that some issues affect POC more than others

The baby thing is particularly shocking. Our society has become so diverse that it really should have been updated and it should have been a priority, but it clearly wasn’t. There’s no excuse for that

The point is that some issues affect POC more than others

The baby thing is particularly shocking. Our society has become so diverse that it really should have been updated and it should have been a priority, but it clearly wasn’t. There’s no excuse for that
That’s a funding/ gov issue, not racism .I’m sure there’s many babies of all backroads have died through outdated practices within the NHS.

That’s a funding/ gov issue, not racism .I’m sure there’s many babies of all backroads have died through outdated practices within the NHS.
What black or South East Asian baby has pale or pink skin? How is that not directly linked to race?

What black or South East Asian baby has pale or pink skin? How is that not directly linked to race?
It said the guidance was drawn up in 1952 .
Where did it say black women were able to tolerate pain more so they were ignored?

It said the guidance was drawn up in 1952 .
I'm aware. For a country that likes to praise itself for the progress it's made, taking 71 years to update guidance which could save the lives of innocent babies is inexcusable.

Reactions: 2
I'm aware. For a country that likes to praise itself for the progress it's made, taking 71 years to update guidance which could save the lives of innocent babies is inexcusable.
Stillbirths aren’t as rare as you’d think .I’m sure most of us know someone that’s suffered, maternity care is constantly ignored by the gov.

Stillbirths aren’t as rare as you’d think .I’m sure most of us know someone that’s suffered, maternity care is constantly ignored by the gov.
But if the test to identify illnesses actually applied to certain skintones, then some deaths will naturally be avoided.

And for groups of people who make up less of the population, how do you explain why they have higher fatality rates if it's a regular outcome of certain events? Wouldn't it be equal across the board?

Racism (or any other -ism) is just as much about ignorance and negligence as it is about intention. If you choose to overlook something that disadvantages certain people, then you're being discrimatory.

Where did it say black women were able to tolerate pain more so they were ignored?
Health professionals are less likely to give pain relief to non white mothers or they give them weaker forms of pain relief.

The study concluded:
  • For vaginal births, Bangladeshi-British (by 24%), Pakistani-British (by 15%) and black Caribbean-British (by 8%) women are less likely than white women to receive an epidural.
  • Black women are approximately 40% less likely to have an assisted vaginal birth (forceps/ventouse [suction] delivery) compared to white women but instead are more likely to have an emergency caesarean birth.
  • Black Caribbean-British women in the UK are 58% more likely than white women to be given general anaesthesia for elective caesarean births; for Black African-British women, they are 35% more likely to have general anaesthesia.
  • For emergency Caesarean births, black Caribbean-British women are 10% more likely than white women to be given general anaesthesia.

There is a need to listen better to women from ethnic minorities so as to avoid health professional misconceptions and presumptions about women’s expectations and experiences of their perinatal care.
Dr James Bamber

But if the test to identify illnesses actually applied to certain skintones, then some deaths will naturally be avoided.

And for groups of people who make up less of the population, how do you explain why they have higher fatality rates if it's a regular outcome of certain events? Wouldn't it be equal across the board?

Racism (or any other -ism) is just as much about ignorance and negligence as it is about intention. If you choose to overlook something that disadvantages certain people, then you're being discrimatory.

Health professionals are less likely to give pain relief to non white mothers or they give them weaker forms of pain relief.

[COLOR=%s]The study concluded:[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR=%s]For vaginal births, Bangladeshi-British (by 24%), Pakistani-British (by 15%) and black Caribbean-British (by 8%) women are less likely than white women to receive an epidural.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR=%s]Black women are approximately 40% less likely to have an assisted vaginal birth (forceps/ventouse [suction] delivery) compared to white women but instead are more likely to have an emergency caesarean birth.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR=%s]Black Caribbean-British women in the UK are 58% more likely than white women to be given general anaesthesia for elective caesarean births; for Black African-British women, they are 35% more likely to have general anaesthesia.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR=%s]For emergency Caesarean births, black Caribbean-British women are 10% more likely than white women to be given general anaesthesia.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=%s]There is a need to listen better to women from ethnic minorities so as to avoid health professional misconceptions and presumptions about women’s expectations and experiences of their perinatal care.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=%s]Dr James Bamber[/COLOR]
It’s said it’s the mothers health could be to blame, ethnic minorities are more likely to have underlying heath conditions such as diabetes and high BP that usually requires more intervention anyway.
IMG_6948.jpeg

The apgar score isn’t to check for illnesses it’s done after birth to access how well the baby’s coping , colour is only one part of it ,usually blue babies are easily identifiable by their lips if they’re lacking oxygen, they also check to see how floppy they are ,they’re all indicators the babies in trouble.

Last edited:
There was an article a few years ago which talked about how medical professionals take pain levels differently depending on where it’s coming from. They take men more seriously and have this outdated view that women are more emotional and hysterical and therefore inflate their pain. Then in women they viewed different races differently. I remember reading they viewed black women as more likely to exaggerate their pain.

It’s said it’s the mothers health could be to blame, ethnic minorities are more likely to have underlying heath conditions such as diabetes and high BP that usually requires more intervention anyway.View attachment 2307888
The apgar score isn’t to check for illnesses it’s done after birth to access how well the baby’s coping , colour is only one part of it ,usually blue babies are easily identifiable by their lips if they’re lacking oxygen, they also check to see how floppy they are ,they’re all indicators the babies in trouble.
How would you identify blue lips in a non-white baby? Let me give you a hint, there won’t be any visible signs.

How would you identify blue lips in a non-white baby? Let me give you a hint, there won’t be any visible signs.
That’s why I pointed out there’s a number of checks they carry out from muscle tone to heart rate, they also check the tongue that’s a better indicator than lips, its just not a case of having pink skin.

There was an article a few years ago which talked about how medical professionals take pain levels differently depending on where it’s coming from. They take men more seriously and have this outdated view that women are more emotional and hysterical and therefore inflate their pain. Then in women they viewed different races differently. I remember reading they viewed black women as more likely to exaggerate their pain.
Exactly. There's no basis behind women being more hysterical or black women exaggerating. These are outdated views and health professionals shouldn't bring stereotypes or biases into medical care because the consequences can be dire and irreversible.

Language has been used to dehumanise words can be more than words that’s why imo nobody should tolerate or be grateful about being targeted in any way including being called names

I don’t think it helps to minimise the experience of some people because others face worse