Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes 100% I spoke to my mother in law about some of the symptoms and she was like no that’s not right it’s only hot flushes and mood swings, but I could see her thinking about it, she’s not the type of woman that talks openly about personal things she’s very private
Many older women don’t and the ones who do, catch you unawares. 🤣

Reactions: 1
Testosterone gives us the confidence and drive. When it tanks we seem to lose our drive and ambition so it is a really important hormone and should be recognised as such. I think you can insist on testosterone gel but its a battle. Also this assumption that female GPs are better at dealing with menopause is false, they can actually be a lot worse, a GP with a female partner is probably going to be far more inclined to understand and help. I'm very vocal about menopause and I've actually found Men far more receptive to hearing about my experience than women
Yes you can get it on the NHS but it's a fight to get it.

Well that's your experience but it wasn't mine. The female GP was great. I saw a young male GP recently and he was useless.

Forgot about the clumsiness, I went through a period where I kept falling over:ROFLMAO:

Yes you can get it on the NHS but it's a fight to get it.

Well that's your experience but it wasn't mine. The female GP was great. I saw a young male GP recently and he was useless.
The point is, it's not about gender, it's whether they have an interest. I've seen 3 female GPs, one youngish, 1 mid 30s and 1 late 50s all shite, 1 told me I wouldn't notice the symptoms because I had the coil, 1 told me all she knew about menopause was what patients had told her and 1 tried to put me on anti depressants as apparently thats the recommended treatment for my symptoms when NICE guidelines specifically say not to do so if there is no history of depression. It's pretty tit when GPs can't keep up with guidelines about womens health when 50% of their patients are female.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Hi ladies,

thought I’d update you on my HRT journey. I started it about two months ago and I can honestly say I feel SOOOOOO much better. Like night and day. Still get the odd hot flush (I could always live with those) but the crying jags and the wanting to divorce my whole family feelings are diminishing. Not totally gone but much, much better. Now I’m trying to focus on my weight and fitness as my blood pressure has crept up a bit (always something, isn‘t there?).

so if you’re on the fence about HRT (and I know it may not work for everyone) I can highly recommend it.

xx
Which HRT do you take?

Is anyone using Estrogel for menopausal symptoms?
I have been using it for about a week now and am not sleeping well.
I may not be applying it correctly.
Some say to rub it in and some say to smooth it on and leave to dry.
Any advice ?

Last edited:
Which HRT do you take?

Is anyone using Estrogel for menopausal symptoms?
I have been using it for about a week now and am not sleeping well.
I may not be applying it correctly.
Some say to rub it in and some say to smooth it on and leave to dry.
Any advice ?
I'd also appreciate anyone saying what it is they are using!

Yes, so much confusion and contradictory advice from the experts.
Louise Newson and Davina say to rub estrogel in but the instructions say to smooth it on.
Impossible to get it right!!!

I have a few questions, if anyone can help please.

If you take hrt, how long after your symptoms started did you start taking it?

Does HRT help with the weight gain?

My last period was 2 years ago and I was having hot flushes all the time but for the last 6 months I havent had any, has this happened to others? I still have crazy mood swings, insomnia, night sweats, weight gain, dry itchy skin etc

I really believe I’m going through the peri menopause.
I’m having a few symptoms, flushes, night sweats, dry skin, irrational periods,eyesight has deteriorated. Very low mood and tearful.
I’ve ordered some vitamins and supplements online to try and have only taken them for a few days so not sure if they will help at all, so my question is do I need to see my gp?
Is there a way to confirm if you are going through menopause ?
Im sure I’ve picked up on the changes fairly quickly and not sure if they will get worse or not.
I’m not sure what I do now 🙈

In a time where women can become men and vice versa, that we still don’t have a bloody clue about menopause, and where we are in it, what risks the medication are, how to use it. FFS!

Reactions: 4
I hav
I have a few questions, if anyone can help please.

If you take hrt, how long after your symptoms started did you start taking it?

Does HRT help with the weight gain?

My last period was 2 years ago and I was having hot flushes all the time but for the last 6 months I havent had any, has this happened to others? I still have crazy mood swings, insomnia, night sweats, weight gain, dry itchy skin etc
I have taken hrt for the last 12years. I am on elleste solo due to the fact that I had an hysterectomy in my thirties. (Best thing I have ever done).
The hrt has been in my view a god send … no side effects whatsoever and the consultant who did my hysterectomy strongly advised me to go on it, once i felt the need. He was a man and he couldn’t praise it high enough
My GP at the time was female and she readily prescribed it. I have had no trouble I. getting it prescribed all this time.

Yes I have put weight on, but this isn’t down to the hrt Women naturally do I believe, once they hit their fifties. I’m 56 and in the best of health. I believe this is as a consequence of hrt

Having said all this, I am having a consultation this afternoon with my doctor as she is keen now to change my medication, only because she now feels that the elleste is no longer effective and wants me to try a newer version, like a gel. Will keep you informed. My advice is go for it

I hav

I have taken hrt for the last 12years. I am on elleste solo due to the fact that I had an hysterectomy in my thirties. (Best thing I have ever done).
The hrt has been in my view a god send … no side effects whatsoever and the consultant who did my hysterectomy strongly advised me to go on it, once i felt the need. He was a man and he couldn’t praise it high enough
My GP at the time was female and she readily prescribed it. I have had no trouble I. getting it prescribed all this time.

Yes I have put weight on, but this isn’t down to the hrt Women naturally do I believe, once they hit their fifties. I’m 56 and in the best of health. I believe this is as a consequence of hrt

Having said all this, I am having a consultation this afternoon with my doctor as she is keen now to change my medication, only because she now feels that the elleste is no longer effective and wants me to try a newer version, like a gel. Will keep you informed. My advice is go for it
Thank you for your reply. I think I’ll make an appointment for the GP and see what he says. Think I’ve put it off because of covid, because my doctor is in his 70’s and I dont feel like Im ‘suffering’ enough if you know what I mean.

Good luck today and let us know how you get on

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I had really bad night sweats that woke me up in a panic, hot flushes during the day where my body would be covered in sweat down my back it was horrible, really bad insomnia with dreams that would waken me in a fright and terrible anxiety. I have to say when I was given the hrt by my doctor I thought oh il only take this for 3 months to get me through until my body settles, but now I understand that it’s the best for me personally and I will remain on it until such a time where it doesn’t suit my needs. I take a sleep/anxiety supplement from the natural health food shop which has really helped me and I will be taking it for the foreseeable also.

For some women the hot flushes and night sweats are temporary. A good friend of mine only took her HRT for 3 months, the script ran out and she didn’t feel like she needed it again.

What I’d say is definitely don’t feel like you have to persevere through symptoms which aren’t comfortable, go to your doctor and they will help. They can also refer you to the HRT clinic for a review if the HRT your taking isn’t doing the trick, it’s not a one fits all approach so don’t give up if too don’t get it right straight away

Thank you for your reply. I think I’ll make an appointment for the GP and see what he says. Think I’ve put it off because of covid, because my doctor is in his 70’s and I dont feel like Im ‘suffering’ enough if you know what I mean.

Good luck today and let us know how you get on
How much suffering is enough, we shouldn't have to suffer at all

I hav

I'm so envious

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’ve read in so many places/ articles that it’s the lack of estrogen that piles on the weight. I’m currently not on anything and have gained so much weight. I’ve tried HRT in the past and it didn’t suit me. I have an appointment with my doctor this week as I truly need something, I’m on the floor emotionally and physically but I can’t put on any more weight, that won’t help me at all.

Reactions: 2
How much suffering is enough, we shouldn't have to suffer at all
I think I’ve worded it wrong 🤦🏽‍♀️

I think my problem is, I never go to the doctors for anything. I got my call for my covid jab and had to phone back and ask where the surgery was now because they moved about 12 years ago😂

I’ve read in so many places/ articles that it’s the lack of estrogen that piles on the weight. I’m currently not on anything and have gained so much weight. I’ve tried HRT in the past and it didn’t suit me. I have an appointment with my doctor this week as I truly need something, I’m on the floor emotionally and physically but I can’t put on any more weight, that won’t help me at all.
The weight gain is the worst part for me. I know it sounds vain but I hate the way I look and always feel ugly, fat and frumpy and it really gets me down

• Heart
I don't think they really know. I have never had hot flushes, some research articles put hot flushes down to Estrogen dominance, some to lack of Estrogen, all I know is that when I was put on Estrogel only, I became suicidal so I think I was Estrogen dominant and then added even more to the mix and flipped out. Proper research needs to be carried out so we can have an individualised treatment plan rather than th etrial and error we crrently have to put up with.

Reactions: 3
I really believe I’m going through the peri menopause.
I’m having a few symptoms, flushes, night sweats, dry skin, irrational periods,eyesight has deteriorated. Very low mood and tearful.
I’ve ordered some vitamins and supplements online to try and have only taken them for a few days so not sure if they will help at all, so my question is do I need to see my gp?
Is there a way to confirm if you are going through menopause ?
Im sure I’ve picked up on the changes fairly quickly and not sure if they will get worse or not.
I’m not sure what I do now 🙈
Your GP can test your hormones but they're not always accurate so my GP told me they just go on symptoms. I did also have the hormone test that showed nothing up.

You do sound like you're in peri. How old are you? Bear in mind peri lasts about 10 years unfortunately.

I hav

Thanks for this.
I am 55 and was on Femonston until recently.
Just started with the gel and due to have a coil fitted soon.
It's tricky getting the dose and application style right.

Thanks for this.
So make sure she gives you clear instructions re application because it's vital to getting it to work.
Good luck

Thanks for this.
So make sure she gives you clear instructions re application because it's vital to getting it to work.
Good luck

Last edited: