Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Your GP can test your hormones but they're not always accurate so my GP told me they just go on symptoms. I did also have the hormone test that showed nothing up.

You do sound like you're in peri. How old are you? Bear in mind peri lasts about 10 years unfortunately.
10 years ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™ˆ
Iโ€™m 46.

Reactions: 2
Iโ€™m 46.
Hey ๐Ÿ‘‹ hope your well, thereโ€™s a lovely poster who goes by @Notworthy she has advised to keep a diary of everything that your feeling and going through as it creates a pattern. Iv been doing this for a few months now and i have come to realise that some of my symptoms go back to when I was in my late 30s and have gradually gotten worse through time, if you do this you may come to realise that you have had some symptoms before now but probably put them down to other things

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Iโ€™m 46.
If you think about it logically, our fertility starts to drop around 35 and off a cliff at 40, so the changes are happening, it's just that we don't notice them until they reach a certain point. I have tracked back and my symptoms became noticeable at 46 and I would say that is a pretty common age, menopause on average happens at 51, thats a full year without a period (2 years is considered menopause if pre 50) so 5 years before makes sense. I'd like to see 40+ quoted more in the media for peri rather than 51 as too many women won't accept that their symptoms could be menopause until they are 50, if they are under 50 they will tell you they are too young for their insomnia/anxiety/weightgain to be menopausal symptoms. Not educating yourself on the myriad of symptoms before they hit like a train can be awful. I thought it was all hot flushes and I've yet to have one, turns out my Mum didn;t suffer from them either and I've also dodged the vaginal dryness bullet to, another one my Mum didn't get. I've got the midrift podge and my boobs are bigger but nothing too dramatic as long as I don't live on cake.

Hey ๐Ÿ‘‹ hope your well, thereโ€™s a lovely poster who goes by @Notworthy she has advised to keep a diary of everything that your feeling and going through as it creates a pattern. Iv been doing this for a few months now and i have come to realise that some of my symptoms go back to when I was in my late 30s and have gradually gotten worse through time, if you do this you may come to realise that you have had some symptoms before now but probably put them down to other things
Bless you, I'm so happy it's worked for you, doesn't solve the problem but makes it a little easier to bear. I found the same with symptom tracking, when I looked back it was probably 2 -3 years of minor symptoms, remembering conversations where I had wondered why I wasn't sleeping, or why I wasn't driving my business forward. I can remember getting a new member of staff and every idea she had I shut down, I actually said to her I felt sorry for her because I used to constantly be evolving my business and moving forward and now everything was nope, nope, nope

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Thank you so much for taking the time to message I shall definitely take the advice to keep a diary on my symptoms. Iโ€™m no stranger to having medical symptoms to keep an eye on so this will be no problem.
I think because Iโ€™ve had to be aware of what my body is doing I was able to pick up on it quite quickly .

If you think about it logically, our fertility starts to drop around 35 and off a cliff at 40, so the changes are happening, it's just that we don't notice them until they reach a certain point. I have tracked back and my symptoms became noticeable at 46 and I would say that is a pretty common age, menopause on average happens at 51, thats a full year without a period (2 years is considered menopause if pre 50) so 5 years before makes sense. I'd like to see 40+ quoted more in the media for peri rather than 51 as too many women won't accept that their symptoms could be menopause until they are 50, if they are under 50 they will tell you they are too young for their insomnia/anxiety/weightgain to be menopausal symptoms. Not educating yourself on the myriad of symptoms before they hit like a train can be awful. I thought it was all hot flushes and I've yet to have one, turns out my Mum didn;t suffer from them either and I've also dodged the vaginal dryness bullet to, another one my Mum didn't get. I've got the midrift podge and my boobs are bigger but nothing too dramatic as long as I don't live on cake.

Bless you, I'm so happy it's worked for you, doesn't solve the problem but makes it a little easier to bear. I found the same with symptom tracking, when I looked back it was probably 2 -3 years of minor symptoms, remembering conversations where I had wondered why I wasn't sleeping, or why I wasn't driving my business forward. I can remember getting a new member of staff and every idea she had I shut down, I actually said to her I felt sorry for her because I used to constantly be evolving my business and moving forward and now everything was nope, nope, nope
Thank you for replying , I definitely need to look into what other symptoms can come with it too, Iโ€™m noticing a real dry mouth and Dry skin the last few days. The obvious signs of night sweats and flushes have only happened in the last 10 days ๐Ÿ™ˆ

Thank you for your reply. I think Iโ€™ll make an appointment for the GP and see what he says. Think Iโ€™ve put it off because of covid, because my doctor is in his 70โ€™s and I dont feel like Im โ€˜sufferingโ€™ enough if you know what I mean.

Good luck today and let us know how you get on
So I have just had a great consultation with the GP and she has told me to stop taking Elleste solo now and has prescribed oestrogel. You apply it to your thigh at night. One pump on each. She said itโ€™s stronger than tablets and safer in terms of clots. Fingers crossed that it suits me

Let me know how you get on with your doctor. I would just say to him that you would very much like to try hrt and see how it works for you x

l this thread โค

Reactions: 3
Thank you so much for taking the time to message I shall definitely take the advice to keep a diary on my symptoms. Iโ€™m no stranger to having medical symptoms to keep an eye on so this will be no problem.
I think because Iโ€™ve had to be aware of what my body is doing I was able to pick up on it quite quickly .

Thank you for replying , I definitely need to look into what other symptoms can come with it too, Iโ€™m noticing a real dry mouth and Dry skin the last few days. The obvious signs of night sweats and flushes have only happened in the last 10 days ๐Ÿ™ˆ
Dry mouth is definitely a symptom, you'll probably find it doesn't happen everyday but there will be a sequence of symptoms. Last Wednesday my feet really hurt in my shoes, water retention was making them swell, Thursday I must have peed 4 times in 5 hours, normally I pee once in a 7 hour shift. my sense of smell heightens and everything smells of dogshit. This might be TMI but I also get a really painful Vagina, the kind of feeling you get when you've been shagging all night (I wish)

One thing to be aware of is that diabetes can rear it's head even if you are not overweight and also thyroid function can be compromised, most GPs will actaully check for diabetes around this age but the thyroid tests are pretty crap. I think the parameters they use to diagnose Hashimotos are wrong personally.

Also my hands can look ancient sometimes, all dried out and wrinkly even when I make sure I drink plenty of water and moisturise then after a week they are fine again.

Last edited:
Dry mouth is definitely a symptom, you'll probably find it doesn't happen everyday but there will be a sequence of symptoms. Last Wednesday my feet really hurt in my shoes, water retention was making them swell, Thursday I must have peed 4 times in 5 hours, normally I pee once in a 7 hour shift. my sense of smell heightens and everything smells of dogshit. This might be TMI but I also get a really painful Vagina, the kind of feeling you get when you've been shagging all night (I wish)

One thing to be aware of is that diabetes can rear it's head even if you are not overweight and also thyroid function can be compromised, most GPs will actaully check for diabetes around this age but the thyroid tests are pretty crap. I think the parameters they use to diagnose Hashimotos are wrong personally.

Also my hands can look ancient sometimes, all dried out and wrinkly even when I make sure I drink plenty of water and moisturise then after a week they are fine again.
Absolutely crying at the shagging all
Night ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Thanks so much for the advice, really felt quite lost last week when the penny dropped was was actually happening

edited for spelling !

Reactions: 3
Absolutely crying at the shagging all
Night ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Thanks so much for the advice, really felt quite lost last week when the penny dropped was was actually happening

edited for spelling !
I'm just grateful I can still remember what it feels like even if I'll probably never experience it again.:cry: ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Iโ€™m on femostan. its a low dose. Iโ€™ve had no side effects apart from elevated blood pressure, not too mental but enough to worry my doctor for long term, so Iโ€™m probably going to have to take a low dose of blood pressure meds. my weight has always been difficult, i have always leaned towards plus sized unless I am super disciplined (and Iโ€™m not). Itโ€™s always been okay to shift but this phase in my life, itโ€™s sticking. It is all around my belly too which is apparently normal. So now I look pregnant all the time. If someone dares ask me I will deck them, I tell you.
so to the poster asking about weight gain, the hrt hasnt made any difference in that, but mentally I feel so much better that Iโ€™m WANTING to shift it, rather than lay on the couch and cry and eat chocolate. Make sense?

I visited my gynecologist yesterday and was prescribed bio identical hormones in a cream form. Biest 3mg/ Progesterone 100mg/ Testosterone 2mg. Does anyone have experience of this form of HRT? And how was it?

I visited my gynecologist yesterday and was prescribed bio identical hormones in a cream form. Biest 3mg/ Progesterone 100mg/ Testosterone 2mg. Does anyone have experience of this form of HRT? And how was it?
Was this private or NHS, heard testosterone was difficult to get prescribed on the NHS. I don't have a gynaecologist!

I think this is the regime all the UK celebs get when they go private. I believe there's a Professor Studd in London who prescribes this regime. If you google him, he's written some articles on it.

Reactions: 1
I think this is the regime all the UK celebs get when they go private. I believe there's a Professor Studd in London who prescribes this regime. If you google him, he's written some articles on it.
This is why I get fucked off with the celebrity led programmes, they are using their treatment as the benchmark, it isn't

• Angry
This is why I get fucked off with the celebrity led programmes, they are using their treatment as the benchmark, it isn't
Yes Professor Studd's regime is expensive if you go private but the celebs don't seem to mention how much it costs or say it's not widely available on the NHS.

So I have just had a great consultation with the GP and she has told me to stop taking Elleste solo now and has prescribed oestrogel. You apply it to your thigh at night. One pump on each. She said itโ€™s stronger than tablets and safer in terms of clots. Fingers crossed that it suits me

Let me know how you get on with your doctor. I would just say to him that you would very much like to try hrt and see how it works for you x

l this thread โค
Finally got through to make an appointment yesterday and have to wait 5 weeks because its non urgent.

How are you getting on with the oestrogel?

Finally got through to make an appointment yesterday and have to wait 5 weeks because its non urgent.

How are you getting on with the oestrogel?
Great news that you have got an appointment. I have my fingers crossed for you.

im doing ok so far on it. The only thing is that the first morning after I did feel nauseous, but that did pass after a couple of hours?!

Please keep me updated on how you get on. Have a lovely day x

I follow menopause_doctor on Instagram and it looks like she's done a guide you can print off and give your doctor.