Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did you get the liquid or the powder collagen? I’m looking it up now 👌🏻
I bought Hunter Gatherer of Amazon on Prime. This is the one.

@Base2019 They do a marine one too, which I will try next!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1

@Base2019 They do a marine one too, which I will try next!
Thanks so much 😘

Hey 👋 did anyone watch davina last night ??
I was a bit disappointed if I’m honest 😔 I felt it was all about HRT. I wanted to know about ALL the symptoms and feelings we get, not just vaginal dryness and hot flush’s

I was a bit disappointed if I’m honest 😔 I felt it was all about HRT. I wanted to know about ALL the symptoms and feelings we get, not just vaginal dryness and hot flush’s
I didn't watch it as I can't stand her. This is a good website and there are some clips and interviews on here. The Channel 5 one with Sian is good. https://simplyhormones.com/press/

I'm going through perimenopause and have symptoms that everyone has mentioned above (and at times have been very difficult) but I've just finished a period that lasted 22 days!
Just wondering if your periods have increased or decreased?

Reactions: 2
I'm going through perimenopause and have symptoms that everyone has mentioned above (and at times have been very difficult) but I've just finished a period that lasted 22 days!
Just wondering if your periods have increased or decreased?
Yes my periods have got heavier and are lasting a few days longer than my normal/usual period 😡

Yes my periods have got heavier and are lasting a few days longer than my normal/usual period 😡
Thank you for replying. Going through all these awful symptoms I would just love for the periods to stop now but as you say mine have also got heavier and lasting so much longer now.

Thank you for replying. Going through all these awful symptoms I would just love for the periods to stop now but as you say mine have also got heavier and lasting so much longer now.
Changes in periods are probably the top symptom, they become much more erratic both in time between, length and flow. Another reason it is wise to diarise your symptoms, atleast then you'll be expecting it when it arrives. You might find that your periods become more frequent initially and then further apart but heavier.

Reactions: 4
Yes I watched it, some bit's were interesting, I think for me it's another reassurance that HRT is safer than I thought. When I spoke to my GP I came away thinking there was a high risk of cancer. But felt there was much more information they could have given. What is everyone taking? There seems to be so many different options.
I had a coil in for years, I split with my partner and didn't bothered getting it taken out for a few years after I should have. I had it removed, it was unwarily painful, and I couldn't face the pain of having another one! Anyway I bled quite heavily immediately after it was removed, but since then haven't had a period. I do get hormonal and will go wee and see a very light pink colour after I've wiped, maybe once. But not enough that I need to wear a pad or tampon. Is this a period? They say 1 year when you've not had a period.

ETA Does your weight go back to normal on HRT? I'm not sure I can cope with 36H boobs much longer, I'm only 5 foot!

Last edited:
Not only that, she went private to get her HRT and Testosterone. It's very hard to get testosterone on the NHS. I feel like she seemed shocked she was perimenopausal at 44 but I was told at 45 that I was and the Dr said that's the standard age. But it can last 10 years, so I feel Davina rushed into HRT etc too quickly. I was told that the thing with HRT is it stops your symptoms but once you come off it they just come back again.

A good site to use to look up symptoms etc is menopause matters.

Reactions: 3
Not only that, she went private to get her HRT and Testosterone. It's very hard to get testosterone on the NHS. I feel like she seemed shocked she was perimenopausal at 44 but I was told at 45 that I was and the Dr said that's the standard age. But it can last 10 years, so I feel Davina rushed into HRT etc too quickly. I was told that the thing with HRT is it stops your symptoms but once you come off it they just come back again.

A good site to use to look up symptoms etc is menopause matters.
Symptoms will come back but not for long as the process of the hormones reducing is a lot quicker. I knew she would've gone private, exactly the same as Mariella Frostrups doc. Their experiences are nowhere close to what the rest of us get on the NHS and that should be made much clearer.

Reactions: 8
MP is defined as 12 months since your last period. Reality is peri menopause can start early -mid 40’s. As much as 10 y b4. I wish I knew then what I know now! Low mood .. mood swings .. brain fog .. unexplained anger over trivial things .. weight gain ..very difficult to lose even if ur doing all the “right” things. Basically it’s awful. Never got prof hdlp/hrt. Wish now I had .
I did not get much help either and at the time I had an older female doctor! She offered me HRT, but I wanted to weigh up the pros and cons before starting it.

I have four older sisters, so I thought I would ask them what their menopause was like. Didn’t get much joy out of them either! 😂

I am still in the dark about a lot of things relating to menopause, but fortunately, there is much more information out there now about it.

Symptoms will come back but not for long as the process of the hormones reducing is a lot quicker. I knew she would've gone private, exactly the same as Mariella Frostrups doc. Their experiences are nowhere close to what the rest of us get on the NHS and that should be made much clearer.
Yes, I remember the programme with Mariella Frostrup a few years ago about menopause. Apart from last nights programme, there has been nothing about menopause since.

I've found whichever celeb/well known person who has spoken about it have all gone private. On Menopause Matters forum there are some women who went private and they are all offered the same regime! It's not one that you would get offered on the NHS!

Case in point...Davina saying 'I think you can get this if your libido is low' but then it states it's not widely available on the NHS!

Testosterone cream - daily
This is a cream that Davina rubs into her thigh. It's a less commonly prescribed hormone, which is not widely available on the NHS. "I think you can get this if your libido is on the floor," says Davina. "But this is more than just about sex drive," she says. "Did you know that testosterone is an enormously important women’s hormone as well? My testosterone was low and I take a pea-sized amount.”

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I've found whichever celeb/well known person who has spoken about it have all gone private. On Menopause Matters forum there are some women who went private and they are all offered the same regime! It's not one that you would get offered on the NHS!

Case in point...Davina saying 'I think you can get this if your libido is low' but then it states it's not widely available on the NHS!

Testosterone cream - daily
This is a cream that Davina rubs into her thigh. It's a less commonly prescribed hormone, which is not widely available on the NHS. "I think you can get this if your libido is on the floor," says Davina. "But this is more than just about sex drive," she says. "Did you know that testosterone is an enormously important women’s hormone as well? My testosterone was low and I take a pea-sized amount.”
Testosterone gives us the confidence and drive. When it tanks we seem to lose our drive and ambition so it is a really important hormone and should be recognised as such. I think you can insist on testosterone gel but its a battle. Also this assumption that female GPs are better at dealing with menopause is false, they can actually be a lot worse, a GP with a female partner is probably going to be far more inclined to understand and help. I'm very vocal about menopause and I've actually found Men far more receptive to hearing about my experience than women

• Heart
Testosterone gives us the confidence and drive. When it tanks we seem to lose our drive and ambition so it is a really important hormone and should be recognised as such. I think you can insist on testosterone gel but its a battle. Also this assumption that female GPs are better at dealing with menopause is false, they can actually be a lot worse, a GP with a female partner is probably going to be far more inclined to understand and help. I'm very vocal about menopause and I've actually found Men far more receptive to hearing about my experience than women
You should start a blog or do you have one ??

• Heart
I do coach women a bit FOC obviously. My main thing is the diarising of symptoms which I think is something women should be encouraged to do from puberty. We really need to get more in tune with our bodies but hopefully all the work being done with female athletes will have a trickle down effect. So much more to our cycle and it's affects on our bodies than just pregnancy and bleeding

Changes in periods are probably the top symptom, they become much more erratic both in time between, length and flow. Another reason it is wise to diarise your symptoms, atleast then you'll be expecting it when it arrives. You might find that your periods become more frequent initially and then further apart but heavier.
When I realised I was in peri-menopause and my periods were so infrequent, I kept a period diary. It was helpful to know the last time I came on and how heavy it was, etc. I would definitely recommend any woman in peri-menopause do this. It is confusing enough as it is, without trying to remember the last time you had a period!

I do coach women a bit FOC obviously. My main thing is the diarising of symptoms which I think is something women should be encouraged to do from puberty. We really need to get more in tune with our bodies but hopefully all the work being done with female athletes will have a trickle down effect. So much more to our cycle and it's affects on our bodies than just pregnancy and bleeding
Yes 100% I spoke to my mother in law about some of the symptoms and she was like no that’s not right it’s only hot flushes and mood swings, but I could see her thinking about it, she’s not the type of woman that talks openly about personal things she’s very private