Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
About 8 weeks ago started suffering really bad aches & pains in legs ..getting up from sitting legs buckled .. struggled to walk up the stairs. Was recommended this.... 24 hours later 80% improvement ...1 week later 100% improvement.. on it for life .. should be available in local chemist (or ask pharmacist to recommend equivalent. )

Ps if anyone tries it I’d be really interested to hear if it helps.

Attachments

Reactions: 5
About 8 weeks ago started suffering really bad aches & pains in legs ..getting up from sitting legs buckled .. struggled to walk up the stairs. Was recommended this.... 24 hours later 80% improvement ...1 week later 100% improvement.. on it for life .. should be available in local chemist (or ask pharmacist to recommend equivalent. )

That's amazing! I've ordered some collagen today, not this brand but my back is really stiff at the moment and my skin is so dry. Hoping this will help! Also I had my coil removed a while back, which was a year over due, I bled heavily after it was removed, then have had no period since. I couldn't have a new coil put back, as it was so painful to remove. How do I know where I am in my menopause journey?!

Reactions: 1
MP is defined as 12 months since your last period. Reality is peri menopause can start early -mid 40’s. As much as 10 y b4. I wish I knew then what I know now! Low mood .. mood swings .. brain fog .. unexplained anger over trivial things .. weight gain ..very difficult to lose even if ur doing all the “right” things. Basically it’s awful. Never got prof hdlp/hrt. Wish now I had .

Reactions: 6
Hi ladies,

thought I’d update you on my HRT journey. I started it about two months ago and I can honestly say I feel SOOOOOO much better. Like night and day. Still get the odd hot flush (I could always live with those) but the crying jags and the wanting to divorce my whole family feelings are diminishing. Not totally gone but much, much better. Now I’m trying to focus on my weight and fitness as my blood pressure has crept up a bit (always something, isn‘t there?).

so if you’re on the fence about HRT (and I know it may not work for everyone) I can highly recommend it.

xx

• Heart
Reactions: 7
MP is defined as 12 months since your last period. Reality is peri menopause can start early -mid 40’s. As much as 10 y b4. I wish I knew then what I know now! Low mood .. mood swings .. brain fog .. unexplained anger over trivial things .. weight gain ..very difficult to lose even if ur doing all the “right” things. Basically it’s awful. Never got prof hdlp/hrt. Wish now I had .
I agree, it's wrecked my life, my symptoms would have easily been manageable if I'd know what was causing them instead of thinking it was my business and my family making me feel crap. I have a coil so no idea if I'm done and I've never had a hot flush. My symptoms were mental more than physical. main physcial symptoms were insomnia, weight gain and joint pain. Having diarised my symptoms and tracked back, I'd say the symptoms started affecting me at 46 and from online forums, that appears to be pretty normal. It's frustrating when I try to have a conversation with women about menopause and they tell me they are too young for it to be that when they have just finished telling me they can't lose weight and they aren't sleeping well, but when practically every article mentions the magic 51 years old, I suppose it isn't surprising. GPs are useless, when I had my mirena changed I asked the GP how I would know when I hit enopause and she said "Oh you probably won't even notice" no offer of a leaflet or symptoms to look out for, of course I went skipping out of there thinking I'd dodged a bullet. Called the Britih Menopause Society and asked if there were posters or leaflets I could distribute and apperantly they don't have the budget for it.
My biggest bugbear is that it is considered a Female issue, it's not , it's a societal issue. I have 2 Male friends whose wives divorced them during Peri. My one piece of advice to any Woman in their 40's suddenly wanting to change what was a good life is to think long and hard about what is driving that desire.

Hi ladies,

thought I’d update you on my HRT journey. I started it about two months ago and I can honestly say I feel SOOOOOO much better. Like night and day. Still get the odd hot flush (I could always live with those) but the crying jags and the wanting to divorce my whole family feelings are diminishing. Not totally gone but much, much better. Now I’m trying to focus on my weight and fitness as my blood pressure has crept up a bit (always something, isn‘t there?).

so if you’re on the fence about HRT (and I know it may not work for everyone) I can highly recommend it.

xx
I totally get that, it's horrible, I'm single but my poor Son really got put through it, I didn't talk to him for months in a vain attempt to get him to duck off out of my life. I wish more was said about these symptoms rather than keeping it at hot flushes (which I haven't had)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I agree, it's wrecked my life, my symptoms would have easily been manageable if I'd know what was causing them instead of thinking it was my business and my family making me feel crap. I have a coil so no idea if I'm done and I've never had a hot flush. My symptoms were mental more than physical. main physcial symptoms were insomnia, weight gain and joint pain. Having diarised my symptoms and tracked back, I'd say the symptoms started affecting me at 46 and from online forums, that appears to be pretty normal. It's frustrating when I try to have a conversation with women about menopause and they tell me they are too young for it to be that when they have just finished telling me they can't lose weight and they aren't sleeping well, but when practically every article mentions the magic 51 years old, I suppose it isn't surprising. GPs are useless, when I had my mirena changed I asked the GP how I would know when I hit enopause and she said "Oh you probably won't even notice" no offer of a leaflet or symptoms to look out for, of course I went skipping out of there thinking I'd dodged a bullet. Called the Britih Menopause Society and asked if there were posters or leaflets I could distribute and apperantly they don't have the budget for it.
My biggest bugbear is that it is considered a Female issue, it's not , it's a societal issue. I have 2 Male friends whose wives divorced them during Peri. My one piece of advice to any Woman in their 40's suddenly wanting to change what was a good life is to think long and hard about what is driving that desire.

I totally get that, it's horrible, I'm single but my poor Son really got put through it, I didn't talk to him for months in a vain attempt to get him to duck off out of my life. I wish more was said about these symptoms rather than keeping it at hot flushes (which I haven't had)
I bet donkey's years ago, when menopause was never spoken about at all, women must have thought they were literally going mad. Like you say, all that was ever mentioned was hot flushes. Funnily enough, I know one or two oder women who literally hate hearing about the menopause in mainstream media. I wonder if it's because they were of a 'put up and shut up' generation as their attitude is very much about not 'making a fuss' and 'just get on with it'.

Reactions: 5
I bet donkey's years ago, when menopause was never spoken about at all, women must have thought they were literally going mad. Like you say, all that was ever mentioned was hot flushes. Funnily enough, I know one or two oder women who literally hate hearing about the menopause in mainstream media. I wonder if it's because they were of a 'put up and shut up' generation as their attitude is very much about not 'making a fuss' and 'just get on with it'.
My Mum remembers my Nan being sectioned, my Nan was an older Mum so I think Peri was part of the reason. The older generation tended not to have the careers that we do. If I hadn't had a business to run, I wouldn't have had such a problem with menopause. The issue for me was that I sold my business, got a well paying job, quit that, was a witch to my Son and then found out that it was Peri causing my issues, not the business or the job or my Son so then I fell into a massive depression. If I had been more aware of the mental symptom that Peri causes, I would have been able to ride it all out. I've found diarising my symptoms enables me to manage everything better as I know in a few days I'll feel better. I never suffered with PMT and have had the mirena for 15 years so no periods. My 52 year old friend made me laugh, this is an intelligent woman but she was trying to pin the blame for her heavy periods and clotting on the covid jab, totally oblivious to that being a pretty common symptom of menopause. Why are we so ignorant about it.

Reactions: 2
Around 13 years ago I had a very bad breakdown and my nan said to me that she thought I was going’through the change’. I totally dismissed this as I thought I was too young, said the doctor would have considered this and I’d never heard of peri. Looking back she was absolutely right. They also diagnosed me with bipolar instead which is absolute tosh. The menopause has absolutely chewed me up and I’m still suffering. There really should be more help offered in this day and age. I often think of ladies suffering years ago, not talking about it or getting help. Women really do get the rough end of the stick!

Reactions: 7
Hi ladies,

xx
I’m so glad your feeling much better. I’m about 6 months into my HRT and I have to say I’m having a good experience with it aswell. I was really sceptical about going on it because I do think it gets such bad press 🙈 but I’m so glad I did trust my doctor. My nurse also gave me loads of info to read about it. Some of the stuff in the booklet surprised me about HRT. I never knew that it helps to reduce bladder urgency/problems and UTIs in menopause. It’s such a minefield. The only thing I need to get sorted now is the joint and muscle pains

Around 13 years ago I had a very bad breakdown and my nan said to me that she thought I was going’through the change’. I totally dismissed this as I thought I was too young, said the doctor would have considered this and I’d never heard of peri. Looking back she was absolutely right. They also diagnosed me with bipolar instead which is absolute tosh. The menopause has absolutely chewed me up and I’m still suffering. There really should be more help offered in this day and age. I often think of ladies suffering years ago, not talking about it or getting help. Women really do get the rough end of the stick!
Having 1st hand experience of the mental health aspects of peri, I'm shocked that hormones aren't considered as a possible trigger. Unfortunately there isn't enough research done on the endocrine system. N

I’m so glad your feeling much better. I’m about 6 months into my HRT and I have to say I’m having a good experience with it aswell. I was really sceptical about going on it because I do think it gets such bad press 🙈 but I’m so glad I did trust my doctor. My nurse also gave me loads of info to read about it. Some of the stuff in the booklet surprised me about HRT. I never knew that it helps to reduce bladder urgency/problems and UTIs in menopause. It’s such a minefield. The only thing I need to get sorted now is the joint and muscle pains
Literally just talked about this with my Sister, once a month I have bladder issues where I go from no signals to empty my bladder to literally ready to pee myself.

Apologies that programme is apparently on tomorrow at 9pm not last night

Having 1st hand experience of the mental health aspects of peri, I'm shocked that hormones aren't considered as a possible trigger. Unfortunately there isn't enough research done on the endocrine system. N

Literally just talked about this with my Sister, once a month I have bladder issues where I go from no signals to empty my bladder to literally ready to pee myself.

Apologies that programme is apparently on tomorrow at 9pm not last night
Ahh no way. It’s crazy because until I got that booklet I never even knew it was a thing with menopause. No wonder we feel like we are going crazy at times lol they have me a card thing in the booklet for a website called www.menopausematters.co.uk, I havent got checking it out yet tho

I've gone from a size 10/12 to a 16 and as for my boobs they a ridiculously enormous and at only small height I can't carry more weight. None of my clothes fit, it's really depressing me.
I've only just seen this and I'm exactly the same! I can't cope with my boobs anymore. So many sore neck days. I had an awful time during menopause too, my personality changed so quickly. I'm a lot more stable now but I've never cried so much. Also depresses me having no clothes that fit.

• Heart
Yes, and yes! Spirulina powder stirred into a smoothie made with bananas, chocolate-flavoured collagen powder and lactose-free milk has changed my life. Without word of a lie! I've always loved spirulina and thought I'd give the collagen a try after looking and feeling so, so exhausted for so long. I still have my usual morning coffee but could probably go without it as my energy levels have been great. I'm two weeks in and very happy with the results. I'm not as hungry as usual either, which is a huge plus. I make mine in the morning and sip slowly on it throughout the day - I don't even need lunch as I'm not hungry.
I have been taking Spirulina on and off for the past 30 years. I also used to take Klamath Lake algae, which is when I discovered Spirulina. I used to get IBS back then (30 years ago) and IBS was a little-known condition anyway. Doctors would often prescribe Fybogel which never worked for me, then I discovered the algae and spirulina and it changed my life.

I have been taking Spirulina on and off for the past 30 years. I also used to take Klamath Lake algae, which is when I discovered Spirulina. I used to get IBS back then (30 years ago) and IBS was a little-known condition anyway. Doctors would often prescribe Fybogel which never worked for me, then I discovered the algae and spirulina and it changed my life.
What’s the best way to take spirulina ? Tablet or powder ? Iv been thinking about this for a few weeks now and did you find any other benefits from taking it ?

What’s the best way to take spirulina ? Tablet or powder ? Iv been thinking about this for a few weeks now and did you find any other benefits from taking it ?
I used to take it via tablets, as at the time it was always more convenient for me to take. I have tried the powder, but it’s not a great taste. Probably better to mix it up in a smoothie if you’re going to take it that way.

I took it for one particular problem intially, but I have taken it on and off for years. I have found it beneficial to my skin, less breakouts.

I agree with you. So little is known about the menopause, what to expect, what peri-menopause means, etc. You might get a leaflet off of your Doctor, but there will usually be nothing of value written upon it! 🙄

I did not have a clue what peri-menopause was, I had never heard of it. It was only because my periods were so infrequent that I looked up menopause itself.

Like you say, years ago it must have been awful for women to go through menopause. I think the menopause has been worse than any period I have had, because at least those dry up after 7 days!

It is the onslaught of symptoms, one minute you feel normal, then along comes the menopause and hits you with both barrels! 😩🙄

I do think many older women have been conditioned into not talking about menopause and quite likely, they probably had nobody to discuss it with anyway.

Those of us going through it know that it is not a “one size fits all” thing either. 😮

You do feel like you are going bonkers because there are to many things happening all at the same time. 😮

Last edited:
I found this interesting. Also" Megs Menopause" is great on Instagram, she has a range of products "MM" especially for menopause in Boots, Superdrug etc.

I found this interesting. Also" Megs Menopause" is great on Instagram, she has a range of products "MM" especially for menopause in Boots, Superdrug etc.
No doubt over priced like the day she did in London that was around £170 for entry.

• Wow
Reactions: 3

OMG bought some yesterday and took it then, I woke up with virtually no pain!!! Bought some Spirulina today and have taken that, not sure what to expect from it, and think I may have taken too much, a teaspoon. Anyone know? Looking forward to tonight program!
Phoned my Dr to get a appointment, as I'd spoken to my Dr about HRT and said I'd research the info. Nearly 6 weeks to wait to speak to her again. :mad:

Reactions: 3
OMG bought some yesterday and took it then, I woke up with virtually no pain!!! Bought some Spirulina today and have taken that, not sure what to expect from it, and think I may have taken too much, a teaspoon. Anyone know? Looking forward to tonight program!
Phoned my Dr to get a appointment, as I'd spoken to my Dr about HRT and said I'd research the info. Nearly 6 weeks to wait to speak to her again. :mad:
Did you get the liquid or the powder collagen? I’m looking it up now 👌🏻