Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
  • Did you find that your PMT symptoms were worse leading up to menopause (extra-angry, pain that lasted longer, etc.?)
  • If you opted for HRT, how did you know you needed to go on it, and what sorts of things did it help you with?
  • Once your periods stopped, did you find that all the PMT symptoms you used to get completely faded away, or did/do you still get "phantom" symptoms?

Reactions: 13
I didn’t suffer greatly from PMT and can’t say I noticed much difference.
HRT was a godsend. I had horrendous night sweats, waking every hour wet through, sweat literally running off my body. I would throw the covers off, strip nightie off then wake half an hour later freezing cold. Frequent daytime hot flushes too. Within a couple of days of taking HRT it had calmed right down so I could actually sleep at night.
I’ve never had phantom PMT. I am very forgetful though, terrible memory and repeat myself all the time as my kids love to point out!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I was one of the lucky ones that had no symptoms whatsoever.
Like my mother and sister, we were all in our early 40s when we stopped.
Good luck, because its not easy being a woman 💞

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Thank you very much ladies :love: ... ironically, I forgot to mention that memory loss is also an issue at the moment!

Reactions: 7
It’s looking like I’m going through the menopause right now 😢

Terrible night sweats, hot flushes throughout the day, erratic mood swings, weight gain... honestly, I’m a shadow of my former self.

I had bloods taken last week with a hormone screen done too. I do have other health issues which could cause some of these symptoms, but considering what my body has been through these last few years , my GP is pretty confident it’s the change.

We’ve already discussed HRT and I’m all for it. I just want to stop feeling this way. It’s so horrible 😢

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hey 👋 just want to say thank you for starting this thread, my mum keeps telling me she thinks I’m menopausal Iv been to the doctors several times explaining how I’m feeling.
1, no energy
2, can’t wait to get to bed but can’t get up in the morning either
3, weight gain ( especially round tummy )
4, feel like a teen again with PMT periods heavier
5, brain fog.
All my adult life Iv been very active I run 4-5 times a week I do fitness classes I try my best to eat right but also have a little treat here and there, but the last year or two there have been times I physically can’t motivate myself to do anything Iv spent like almost three weeks at a time where I don’t move from home except to go to work and that’s a struggle, I get quite emotional for absolute no reason, it’s like a wave just comes over me.
But the doctor takes my blood and tells me I’m an anemic which I have been all my life and I know exactly what that feels like, but this is more intense.
Does anyone feel like this to?

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I went through the menopause young (early 30s) and didn’t realise as it was straight after I had a baby - I thought I had post natal anxiety as I felt like I was going crazy!
I take the pill instead of HRT - it has stopped the hot flushes and aches and pains. Now how to tackle the weight gain 🤔 I still struggle with mood swings and getting really angry quickly, I hate it.

Hey 👋 just want to say thank you for starting this thread, my mum keeps telling me she thinks I’m menopausal Iv been to the doctors several times explaining how I’m feeling.
1, no energy
2, can’t wait to get to bed but can’t get up in the morning either
3, weight gain ( especially round tummy )
4, feel like a teen again with PMT periods heavier
5, brain fog.
All my adult life Iv been very active I run 4-5 times a week I do fitness classes I try my best to eat right but also have a little treat here and there, but the last year or two there have been times I physically can’t motivate myself to do anything Iv spent like almost three weeks at a time where I don’t move from home except to go to work and that’s a struggle, I get quite emotional for absolute no reason, it’s like a wave just comes over me.
But the doctor takes my blood and tells me I’m an anemic which I have been all my life and I know exactly what that feels like, but this is more intense.
Does anyone feel like this to?
yes the brain fog and low energy were definitely symptoms for me, and the weight gain on the tummy. I used to be really fit and have a flat toned tummy and now I’m 4 stone overweight and look 5 months pregnant 😭

• Heart
I should add that I’ve already had a result of one of my blood tests: I’m anaemic and have low folate levels. Due to other health issues, this happens frequently so we’re looking at B12 injections now.

That said, I’m not sure it explains all the other symptoms but it’s my understanding that hormone panel blood tests are just an indicator; your levels are perpetually changing?!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I have been on it for about 3 years. It stopped working in the summer so my GP upped it to Femoston 2/10 but that was too high. So now I take Fem1/10 with one pump of estrogel daily.

Reactions: 1
May I ask what your symptoms were like before you went on this? Would you recommend it? Xx

My worse symptoms were insomnia and anxiety. Also joint pain, hair loss and tingling hands and feet.
I'm not sure if I recommend it as such because it depends on the individual and their stage of menopause.

Reactions: 5
I've by-passed the menopause because I had a full hysterectomy (for medical reasons), in 2016. But I have had a few menopausal symtoms - weight gain (big time) slight memory loss, insomia. In recent months I have had tingling in hands feet and other random parts of my body, I never conected it with the menopause ( it might be something else).

• Heart
Hey, at least we're not alone! (y)

It's just awful, isn't it? I have heard that once you get over menopause, you're in for a life once again of rainbows and unicorns and elated feelings ... so there is that to look forward to.

I do appreciate there are risks with HRT (like anything), but at this point I'd take the risk over feeling so dreadful.

• Heart
Menopause is a way off for me yet (I assume? I’m 34) but fucks sake, reading this has me so annoyed because women get absolutely shafted by nature 🤬🤣🤣🤣

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
Growing up I tried the contraceptive pill none ever agreed with me, ended up with the coil, so I’m not sure if I would take HRT🥴 can anyone suggest any herbal remedies that would work ?

Hi i had a hysterectomy due to PMDD which put me straight into menopause.

I need HRT as I'm only 42 so still need the estrogen for bone and heart health i also have oestopenia. Because my original problem was hormonol i have struggled so much with getting my HRT correct. It's a minefield honestly. So many different options of how to take it (tablets patches or gel) plus finding the right dose.

Nearly 2 yrs post op and I'm still struggling 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hi i had a hysterectomy due to PMDD which put me straight into menopause.

I need HRT as I'm only 42 so still need the estrogen for bone and heart health i also have oestopenia. Because my original problem was hormonol i have struggled so much with getting my HRT correct. It's a minefield honestly. So many different options of how to take it (tablets patches or gel) plus finding the right dose.

Nearly 2 yrs post op and I'm still struggling 😭
Hope your ok and get it sorted soon 🙏🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 3
  • Did you find that your PMT symptoms were worse leading up to menopause (extra-angry, pain that lasted longer, etc.?)
  • If you opted for HRT, how did you know you needed to go on it, and what sorts of things did it help you with?
  • Once your periods stopped, did you find that all the PMT symptoms you used to get completely faded away, or did/do you still get "phantom" symptoms?
I still get “phantom” symptoms, or feels like period pains when I would have been due on.

But, less frequent now. I think I may be heading out of menopause now because I don’t seem to be getting hot flushes anymore, I now feel the cold more, which is what I was like pre-menopause. During my hot flush stage, I would have the central heating temperature gauge quite low during the Winter months, now I’m cranking up the thermostat! 😂

• Heart