Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The weight gain is horrible. I've managed to lose mostof it but had to accept that I'm never going to have my perfect figure back and eat cake like I used to be able to.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
The good news is, once you're out of the woods life is HEAPS better. I've heard that from heaps of ladies. One told me it's like turning a corner. The weight gain stays for some; shifts for others. Guess it just depends on your body type and genetics.
When is out of the woods as I’ve been told I’m post menopause but suffer badly with so many symptoms and have gained and am gaining so much weight.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
When is out of the woods as I’ve been told I’m post menopause but suffer badly with so many symptoms and have gained and am gaining so much weight.
Perhaps get your hormone levels checked in case something is amiss? The ladies I've spoken to have been post-menopausal for anything from 2 to 5 years plus. One lady told me she used to be cranky for as long as she could remember (possibly as early as puberty); as soon as menopause was over, she felt as if a huge cloud had lifted and she's finally enjoying life.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Perhaps get your hormone levels checked in case something is amiss? The ladies I've spoken to have been post-menopausal for anything from 2 to 5 years plus. One lady told me she used to be cranky for as long as she could remember (possibly as early as puberty); as soon as menopause was over, she felt as if a huge cloud had lifted and she's finally enjoying life.
I had my blood work done last week and things were looking better apparently. But I’m so so tired, my joints ache and I’m not surprised with the extra weight I’m carrying.

• Heart
Hi everyone. I'm 41 and started Peri menopause at 37. Periods stopped so did pregnancy tests, negative. Flushes started at night and felt lethargic. Year later my periods which had only gone for a few month became horrendous, really heavy, awful pains around my vagina then passing clots. Then anxiety hit me from nowhere, panic attacks everyday, with really bad hot flushes. Had to take time off work. I had bloods done and it was confirmed as early menopause. I also went psycho! Never had mood swings like it! Thought I would kill my partner a few times bless him. Now I'm few years in. I have the coil fitted and use an oestrogen gel twice a day, I also had to take a low dose of anti depression meds to help with the anxiety. I'm trying to get off these now by using Magnesium tablets. I have bigger boobs too, they just came from nowhere. I don't have flushes that bad now but I don't sleep very well. Some nights I'm wide awake till 3am. I find eating well and exercise helps my mood. Sorry for the long post! There first couple of years were definitely the worst!
Nobody really speaks about menopause, which is why many women do not know what to expect. I have 4 sisters and I asked them, but got varying answers and mostly, “well it didn’t affect me much” which is no help whatsoever. So it was a baptism of fire for me.

Didn‘t have a clue about peri-menopause either and at one point I thought I may have been pregnant because of missed periods. I kept a peri-menopause/period diary because my periods were becoming more and more infrequent and really heavy too.

I think I may be heading out of menopause now...although I will never be complacent about it because it can catch you unawares.

Reactions: 3
Talking of nobody speaking about menopause, remember when it would just be referred to as "The Change" 😆

I always found that a bit alarming. Like we would suddenly sprout hair and fangs at the first glimpse of a full moon 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Nobody really speaks about menopause, which is why many women do not know what to expect. I have 4 sisters and I asked them, but got varying answers and mostly, “well it didn’t affect me much” which is no help whatsoever. So it was a baptism of fire for me.

Didn‘t have a clue about peri-menopause either and at one point I thought I may have been pregnant because of missed periods. I kept a peri-menopause/period diary because my periods were becoming more and more infrequent and really heavy too.

I think I may be heading out of menopause now...although I will never be complacent about it because it can catch you unawares.
Things are changing now. I constantly mention it to literally everyone, Male or Female. People think it's a female issue but I have a number of Male friends and 2 of them have gotten divorced over it, both divorces instigated by their wives. I think the change is actually a really good word as there seems to be a need to change your life during it. I had a great life, business doing well, loved working there and then all of a sudden I hated it and was desperate for a change. I wanted to move to Antigua. If your life is tit then the menopause can be a blessing but if, like me, your life was great and you were happy, it can be catastrophic. I would advise any woman to really stop and think before making any major, life changing decisions during the period of 45ish to 55ish. If you were happy upto that point then it's probably the fluctuating hormones driving the desire.

Does anyone have very sore joins, muscles. My ankles, legs are always so painful. I already take vitamin D, cal/ magnesium and turmeric. Do you have any magic potion?

Does anyone have very sore joins, muscles. My ankles, legs are always so painful. I already take vitamin D, cal/ magnesium and turmeric. Do you have any magic potion?
Yes I do and No sadly I don't. I'm really trying to keep up the stretching to see if that helps. My joints are a bit better now but I'm sure that a prolapsd disc I had a few years ago was caused by menopause. It happened a couple of months after the anxiety and panic attacks started and that has caused ongoing problems. @Reflected view any news on weiging yourself and working out a pattern yet

Yes I do and No sadly I don't. I'm really trying to keep up the stretching to see if that helps. My joints are a bit better now but I'm sure that a prolapsd disc I had a few years ago was caused by menopause. It happened a couple of months after the anxiety and panic attacks started and that has caused ongoing problems. @Reflected view any news on weiging yourself and working out a pattern yet
Hey 👋 yeah I’m starting to form a pattern, iv been writing everything down, iv noticed that when I get certain symptoms my insomnia kicks in 🥴 iv been getting really itchy ears and skin and my new symptom is my hair is starting to thin 🤬

• Sad
Yes, and yes! Spirulina powder stirred into a smoothie made with bananas, chocolate-flavoured collagen powder and lactose-free milk has changed my life. Without word of a lie! I've always loved spirulina and thought I'd give the collagen a try after looking and feeling so, so exhausted for so long. I still have my usual morning coffee but could probably go without it as my energy levels have been great. I'm two weeks in and very happy with the results. I'm not as hungry as usual either, which is a huge plus. I make mine in the morning and sip slowly on it throughout the day - I don't even need lunch as I'm not hungry.

Hey 👋 yeah I’m starting to form a pattern, iv been writing everything down, iv noticed that when I get certain symptoms my insomnia kicks in 🥴 iv been getting really itchy ears and skin and my new symptom is my hair is starting to thin 🤬
It really is bizarre how many weird things happen. I wish I had paid more attention to my body when I was younger.

Yes, and yes! Spirulina powder stirred into a smoothie made with bananas, chocolate-flavoured collagen powder and lactose-free milk has changed my life. Without word of a lie! I've always loved spirulina and thought I'd give the collagen a try after looking and feeling so, so exhausted for so long. I still have my usual morning coffee but could probably go without it as my energy levels have been great. I'm two weeks in and very happy with the results. I'm not as hungry as usual either, which is a huge plus. I make mine in the morning and sip slowly on it throughout the day - I don't even need lunch as I'm not hungry.
A friend just got some collagen, I've been considering it myself as my hands have literally aged 10 years over the winter but if it's helping with other symptoms I'll definitely give it a go now. Thanks

Reactions: 6
It really is bizarre how many weird things happen. I wish I had paid more attention to my body when I was younger.

A friend just got some collagen, I've been considering it myself as my hands have literally aged 10 years over the winter but if it's helping with other symptoms I'll definitely give it a go now. Thanks
I’m sure there will be many more strange symptoms to come, thank you for all the advice you have given 😘

I’m sure there will be many more strange symptoms to come, thank you for all the advice you have given 😘
You're very welcome, hopefully understanding the pattern will make it easier to manage, the symptoms don;t go but forewarned is forearmed and it definitely helps those close to you.

• Heart
I get this too. My problem seems to be like that I’m stretching out like crazy in my sleep 🙈 wake up aching. I’m starting Pilates next week to see if it helps. I will keep you posted 😘 xxxx

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel I have a real intolerance to exercise. I never seem to feel any better off.

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel I have a real intolerance to exercise. I never seem to feel any better off.
Iv always exercised 5-6 times per week since my late teens, I would exercise on holiday Xmas day you name it, but the past few years have been a real struggle for me with the lack of energy and motivation, I would go weeks just staying at home and not doing a thing then having to start all over again 🤬 but it’s hit me hard this year Iv only ran maybe handful of times since Xmas iv not renewed my gym membership either as feeling very anxious about going back 🥴 it’s such a horrible cycle to be in , iv started taking a load of vitamins and I’m just now starting to feel a very slight improvement so fingers and toes crossed 🤞 🙏🏻

Iv always exercised 5-6 times per week since my late teens, I would exercise on holiday Xmas day you name it, but the past few years have been a real struggle for me with the lack of energy and motivation, I would go weeks just staying at home and not doing a thing then having to start all over again 🤬 but it’s hit me hard this year Iv only ran maybe handful of times since Xmas iv not renewed my gym membership either as feeling very anxious about going back 🥴 it’s such a horrible cycle to be in , iv started taking a load of vitamins and I’m just now starting to feel a very slight improvement so fingers and toes crossed 🤞 🙏🏻
It's utter tit isn't it, I sold my business as I lost the love for it, so regret it now I know what the problem was. I know Women that were making in excess of £100k a year and have had to give up their jobs as they aren't coping, the brain fog is horrible, I went from a really switched on business person to someone that could barely function, couldn't spell, lost loads of things, actually thought I had early onset dementia.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
It's utter tit isn't it, I sold my business as I lost the love for it, so regret it now I know what the problem was. I know Women that were making in excess of £100k a year and have had to give up their jobs as they aren't coping, the brain fog is horrible, I went from a really switched on business person to someone that could barely function, couldn't spell, lost loads of things, actually thought I had early onset dementia.
Yes to everything you have said, iv even found myself with horrible thoughts of just walking away from my marriage thinking I’m better off on my own then a few days later I look at my husband and think I would be lost without you, my head gets so confused and mixed up at times. So thankful for this thread 🙏🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Yes to everything you have said, iv even found myself with horrible thoughts of just walking away from my marriage thinking I’m better off on my own then a few days later I look at my husband and think I would be lost without you, my head gets so confused and mixed up at times. So thankful for this thread 🙏🏻
The dissociation if horrible, I would have that at the same time as my weight peaked, I remember going to a BBQ with my entire family there, looking round at them and thinking, you know what all you lot do is trap me here, can't you all duck off and then I can move on :ROFLMAO: Thats when I realised what the hormones were doing to me as I had the smell and the weight gain at the same time. Looking back it had been going on for a couple of years atleast before I made the link. Look at the stories of women marrying some greek guy 20 years younger and nearly all the women are late 40's

• Sad
Reactions: 5