Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am 49 and think my symptoms are starting, awake half the night, shattered all day and I am getting loads of headaches. I had loads of headaches as a young teenager so they must be hormone related.
I have a friend who is slightly younger than me she has HRT and can sleep again, does anyone have any recommendations to help me sleep?
I don't take HRT but some of my friends do. One sleeps better but then switched to a different one for a while and couldn't sleep again. so went back on the first type (the patch). so I think it depends which type you take.

I also got a lot of headaches in peri. My friend did too and then the GP said she couldn't have HRT if she was getting migraines. They all spout different things, it's so annoying!

Reactions: 1
I don't take HRT but some of my friends do. One sleeps better but then switched to a different one for a while and couldn't sleep again. so went back on the first type (the patch). so I think it depends which type you take.

I also got a lot of headaches in peri. My friend did too and then the GP said she couldn't have HRT if she was getting migraines. They all spout different things, it's so annoying!
I used to get loads of debilitated headaches pre menopause. I rarely get them now. I am not on HRT. They just seem to have disappeared.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Another rubbish nights sleep. I have woken up feeling like im burning . Mood is poor - I am very angry for some reason and I feel like my brain is a lot wires that are all loose and trailing about ( like I’m disconnected ).

I want to stand on my phone. It isn’t responding like it should. It’s misspelling simple words. Keeps jumping about to the drop down list below. Keeps adding in formatting from the options above . ( the strike through a word button it seems to like doing the most). 🙄🤬

• Sad
  • Heart
Another rubbish nights sleep. I have woken up feeling like im burning . Mood is poor - I am very angry for some reason and I feel like my brain is a lot wires that are all loose and trailing about ( like I’m disconnected ).

I want to stand on my phone. It isn’t responding like it should. It’s misspelling simple words. Keeps jumping about to the drop down list below. Keeps adding in formatting from the options above . ( the strike through a word button it seems to like doing the most). 🙄🤬
Same here, I think my HRT needs tweaking. I wake up most days with a feeling of overwhelming rage. My husband asked me last night if I still like him, I replied yes I do I just don't like myself anymore, the worst for me though are the suicidal thoughts around the time of my period. I can feel them coming on then they just go away.

Peri menopause is brutal.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Same here, I think my HRT needs tweaking. I wake up most days with a feeling of overwhelming rage. My husband asked me last night if I still like him, I replied yes I do I just don't like myself anymore, the worst for me though are the suicidal thoughts around the time of my period. I can feel them coming on then they just go away.

When they put me on Estrogen I had suicidal thoughts. Progesterone drops off a week before our period so I would take a punt that you are very estrogen dominant then. Your Esrogen is probably way higher than it would've been pre peri.

• Heart
Definitely talk to your gp about sleep related meno issues. They can give you something temporary to get you through the latest slog. Sleep is so crucial for a lot of things and I know when mine is bad it effects everything. It’s not worth suffering

I understand . I have experienced similar . Many hugs for you & everyone on this thread.

So glad I found the thread because prior to discovering it I felt like I was on my own and had lost my mind. I have spent 10 months trying to get someone to at my gp surgery to take me seriously and have been either fobbed off or forgotten about. I am now with a new GP and I hope for a better result when I have my appointment on the 4th November.

• Heart
Hi everyone , hope you are all ok? I was meant to have a GP appointment this morning - at the time of booking I was advised it was a telephone appointment . I wrote this information down so I would not forget.
Appointment was meant to be at 9.45 so I was prepared for the call - at 9.48 I knew something wasn’t right ( usually call is on the dot ) so I rang the surgery only to be told the appointment was a face to face.

had a massive breakdown on the phone - whilst I’m stood in a public loo at work. I now have to wait until 30th November for another appointment .

I also had a cry down the phone to the receptionist .

• Heart
  • Sad
Just wondering if anyone had taken Femiston Conti with good results. I had to see a new doctor today and she irritated me with her attitude towards HRT. The current HRT I’m taking has been wonderful for my mental health it’s been awful for my physical health. Would love to hear experiences before I take it

Glad I found this thread. I am 55 and haven’t had periods for a year now. I have felt horrendous for most of that year with out of control anxiety, depression and awful mood swings. But I’ve now been on the patches for 6 weeks and delighted to say I’m noticing a gradual but definite improvement in my mood and general sense of well being. Now I just feel normal anxious, not horrifically anxious! I actually enjoyed myself today at work! Wow! I feel much more like me, and grateful.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I think I had PMDD (I never spoke to a doctor as I thought all women felt as bad as I did). I mentioned to a nurse I had bad PMT and she recommended Pyridoxine. It's a strong vitamin B6 tablet available on prescription, and it changed my life. Probably even saved it, given how bad I was.

I thought I'd mention it here in the hope it can help with hormones wreaking havoc on your happiness.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I used to get loads of debilitated headaches pre menopause. I rarely get them now. I am not on HRT. They just seem to have disappeared.
I am “looking forward” (ha!) to my menopause in a few years. I’ve struggled with headaches for years, do you think menopause actually solved your headache issue?

I am “looking forward” (ha!) to my menopause in a few years. I’ve struggled with headaches for years, do you think menopause actually solved your headache issue?
Unfortunately not for me. I’ve suffered headaches since around age12 and menopause has made them more frequent than before

I don’t know. All I know is I have had a lifetime of headaches, now ai rarely get one. And if I do, they are mild.

Just been to my Dr, (after 3 month wait) can’t get testosterone on the NHS apparently, asked about menopause clinic they are all booked, asked about private clinics, apparently booked up too. So no testosterone for me. Also haven’t been taking my progesterone properly so got to have an emergency scan arranged. duck this, I just want to cry.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Just been to my Dr, (after 3 month wait) can’t get testosterone on the NHS apparently, asked about menopause clinic they are all booked, asked about private clinics, apparently booked up too. So no testosterone for me. Also haven’t been taking my progesterone properly so got to have an emergency scan arranged. duck this, I just want to cry.
Yes it’s hard to get testosterone on the NHS which is why the celebs eg. Davina McCall that talk about it get on my nerves as they’ve all used private health care.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Yes it’s hard to get testosterone on the NHS which is why the celebs eg. Davina McCall that talk about it get on my nerves as they’ve all used private health care.
To be fair, Davina is advocating for testosterone to be available on the NHS.

This is really embarrassing 🙈 but here goes 🫤
Iv noticed recently after going to the toilet for a pee there’s a smell left behind, I shower every day so it’s not that I’m dirty. Does this happen to anyone else and if so what have you done to change this ?? All recommendations welcome 🙏🏻 I’m so paranoid