Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes sounds familiar.
Awful isn’t it ☹ X

See your doctor. I felt that peri neatly pushed me over the edge. Had I addressed things sooner I don’t think that the menopause would have been quite so brutal. Sending hugs as it can be a miserable time
I will make an appointment, if I can 🤣🙈

My periods are shorter, sometimes with crippling pain, sometimes nothing. Brain fog, yes. Forgetting all the words and names, yes. Exhausted, yes. Insomnia, yes. Mood swings, YES! And, hot flushes! My eyes are gone. Seriously, this is not something to be considered normal. I’m seeing a nutritionist specialized in menopause and, along with a certain diet, she prescribed a course of supplements after checking my blood work. It takes a while, but I’m starting to see some improvements, at least on the hot flush front.
It’s horrible isn’t it, feel like there’s something wrong with me, strange feeling 👎

• Sad
Reactions: 1
If you have a nurse practitioner at your doctors aim to be seen by them. They normally get better menopause training and imo show more empathy.
See someone soon and let them know your symptoms.

Reactions: 4
If you have a nurse practitioner at your doctors aim to be seen by them. They normally get better menopause training and imo show more empathy.
See someone soon and let them know your symptoms.
Thank you , what happens next , bloods? X

They might order blood tests. My doctor went through my symptoms and explained everything to me then suggested I trial body identical hormones. A month in and I'm feeling so much better. (I'm in Australia and my doctor is a menopause doctor) .

Hey lovelies 💜
I usually hang out on the Hinch thread but wanted to find others who are going through this perimenopausal crap.

I am 50 but have struggled for around 5 years with hot flushes, horrible mood swings, random blubbing sessions, heavy bleeding (to the point i needed a spare change of clothing if I left home) and itchy skin.

The last straw was a very public meltdown and uncharacteristic rant at some random rude little man. I saw red mist and just verbally let rip!
I saw a lovely Gynaecology consultant mid September and prescribed Combined continual HRT - Oestrogel (rub onto inner thighs, one pump each side a day and Provera 10mg (progesterone) tablets until I get a Mirena IUD fitted.

I was undergoing diagnostics for suspected blood cancer for 4 months over the summer, which, thankfully turned out negative but they found Ovarian cysts and Adenomyosis on the CT & internal ultrasound.

So far, no bleeding, so a relief in itself, side effects, boobs ache and seem to have expanded! The only thing I really want rid of is the skin crawling sensation. Hopefully the Oestrogel will help In time.
Due another Ultrasound next few weeks.

I hope everyone here gets any help they need. It's taken years for me - fobbed off by my GP & put on Sertraline which achieved diddly squat.
It's a really hard and confusing time in a woman's life. Thankfully it is being addressed much more nowadays. Xx

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hey lovelies 💜
I usually hang out on the Hinch thread but wanted to find others who are going through this perimenopausal crap.

I am 50 but have struggled for around 5 years with hot flushes, horrible mood swings, random blubbing sessions, heavy bleeding (to the point i needed a spare change of clothing if I left home) and itchy skin.

The last straw was a very public meltdown and uncharacteristic rant at some random rude little man. I saw red mist and just verbally let rip!
I saw a lovely Gynaecology consultant mid September and prescribed Combined continual HRT - Oestrogel (rub onto inner thighs, one pump each side a day and Provera 10mg (progesterone) tablets until I get a Mirena IUD fitted.

I was undergoing diagnostics for suspected blood cancer for 4 months over the summer, which, thankfully turned out negative but they found Ovarian cysts and Adenomyosis on the CT & internal ultrasound.

So far, no bleeding, so a relief in itself, side effects, boobs ache and seem to have expanded! The only thing I really want rid of is the skin crawling sensation. Hopefully the Oestrogel will help In time.
Due another Ultrasound next few weeks.

I hope everyone here gets any help they need. It's taken years for me - fobbed off by my GP & put on Sertraline which achieved diddly squat.
It's a really hard and confusing time in a woman's life. Thankfully it is being addressed much more nowadays. Xx
As much as I love my mirena, I am not onboard with the idea that the progestin in it compensates adequately. I was on estrogen only due to my mirena and it was horrendous. I suspect I was estrogen dominant and it was progesterone that I actually required.
When I had my mirena fitted I was told the progesterone is only released locally so why, when we hit menopause does that suddenly change!
Also re Sertralne you need to take that up with your GP. Guidelines are very clear that AD's should not be given for menopause symptoms and there is absolutely no excuse for a GP not to be keeping up with guidelines that affect 50% of their patients. Menopause isn't some niche illness.

Reactions: 3
Hi Magic, nice to see you over here. It’s not an easy time is it! I’m also on Oestrogel every morning and Progesterone at night. Things have been ok for months until recently where my breasts are so sore I have to run ibuprofen gel, weight gain is also a huge problem. I’m still waiting for the magic potion. But things are better than they were.

• Heart
Hi Magic, nice to see you over here. It’s not an easy time is it! I’m also on Oestrogel every morning and Progesterone at night. Things have been ok for months until recently where my breasts are so sore I have to run ibuprofen gel, weight gain is also a huge problem. I’m still waiting for the magic potion. But things are better than they were.
Hey @Libbylulu 💕
Oh the boob ache is bad isn't it! Feel a like I've been breastfeeding all over again!
How long have you been on HRT? Time flies, one minute you're a teenager and now feel like it's puberty again in reverse and worse, but good riddance to 2 periods a month. I've been told I can take up to 3 (30mg) Provera a day if it didn't stop the bleeding.
I was also told the best cure for Adenomyosis is a hysterectomy, but due to a heart condition & thrombocytosis, amongst other stuff, I am not a good candidate for that surgery.
Oh the joys of womanhood!
Hope you are getting on as best you can my fellow nusty xxx

• Heart
Magic I have been on HRT this time for around a year. It’s been absolutely the right thing for me personally, I understand everyone is different. I was always quite a hormonal person so peri hit me especially hard, except then I had no clue what was going on. In my mind menopause happened to someone in their 50’s after their periods. Thankfully there’s much more talk about the big M so we understand it better. I’ve tried various doses and types. I have to drop my progesterone to get rid of the sore boobs according to my doctor. I’ll try that and see how I get on. My mood, anxiety, brain fog, depression has gotten much better. I get the odd hot flush which I can cope with and even my skin is looking better. My weight is a different thing entirely no matter what I eat or how much I exercise. It’s all about trying what’s best for you and adjusting the dose. I also have osteoporosis so another reason for me to take HRT. Good luck, it’s such a crazy time trying to juggle everything and make sense of it xxx 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Magic I have been on HRT this time for around a year. It’s been absolutely the right thing for me personally, I understand everyone is different. I was always quite a hormonal person so peri hit me especially hard, except then I had no clue what was going on. In my mind menopause happened to someone in their 50’s after their periods. Thankfully there’s much more talk about the big M so we understand it better. I’ve tried various doses and types. I have to drop my progesterone to get rid of the sore boobs according to my doctor. I’ll try that and see how I get on. My mood, anxiety, brain fog, depression has gotten much better. I get the odd hot flush which I can cope with and even my skin is looking better. My weight is a different thing entirely no matter what I eat or how much I exercise. It’s all about trying what’s best for you and adjusting the dose. I also have osteoporosis so another reason for me to take HRT. Good luck, it’s such a crazy time trying to juggle everything and make sense of it xxx 🥰
It's a pain in the bumbuminnitt! I'm truly sick of all health matters, my medical record is quite an encyclopedia of crap.
I'm pleased things are working out for you on HRT. How long did yours take to start making a real difference?

The fact I have no bleeding at all now is such a relief as I've struggled since i was in my teens (with the exception of pregnancy obviously). The last year everything went batshit. Crying all the time and feeling like a deranged mad woman!
I genuinely feel many GPs just cba but hospital has been great. Surgery called me yesterday to ask me if I had a progesterone prescribed!!! I said - It's in the letter sent by Gynaecology to you, I have my copy here! Infuriating when you have to correct them and chase things up.

On the weight thing, I hear you! I've lost much of my mobility since 2018 (spinal stenosis) and piled on weight even though I watch what I eat and don't drink alcohol etc. I always get the "I hate myself" moments.
Good luck to you too, good to chat about this. Thank you xx

• Heart
Sorry for keep dipping in and out of this thread . I have been taking the health & her perimenopause tablets. Really no idea if they are working or not. I have been carrying on taking them just in case they are.

I also have another appointment booked with a different GP on the 4th November ( and I am armed with a symptom list). I am praying that something happens because I have just been fobbed off time and time again for the last year.
I feel like I’m going crazy - if I’m not feeling rage then I’m at work sat in front of my pc like I have never used one before . Can’t describe the panic I felt just looking at a screen and wondering why my brain wasn’t working.

I am struggling to remember what things are ( that I would have easily recalled previously ). It is like the words are just not there but yet they should be.

Sleep is all over the place - moods all over the place. I feel hungry all the time . Periods have been hit and miss all year . If I do have one then it’s very light ( so light I’d argue it’s not even a period - more like spotting).
Have to get up for work now .. this will be another day of feeling exhausted all day.

• Heart
Sorry for keep dipping in and out of this thread . I have been taking the health & her perimenopause tablets. Really no idea if they are working or not. I have been carrying on taking them just in case they are.

I also have another appointment booked with a different GP on the 4th November ( and I am armed with a symptom list). I am praying that something happens because I have just been fobbed off time and time again for the last year.
I feel like I’m going crazy - if I’m not feeling rage then I’m at work sat in front of my pc like I have never used one before . Can’t describe the panic I felt just looking at a screen and wondering why my brain wasn’t working.

I am struggling to remember what things are ( that I would have easily recalled previously ). It is like the words are just not there but yet they should be.

Sleep is all over the place - moods all over the place. I feel hungry all the time . Periods have been hit and miss all year . If I do have one then it’s very light ( so light I’d argue it’s not even a period - more like spotting).
Have to get up for work now .. this will be another day of feeling exhausted all day.
That is 100% peri, it was telling my friend that I had become so forgetful that led her to ask me my age and tell me what was going on. I used to be a natural speller, all of a sudden i was having to google the simplest of words

That is 100% peri, it was telling my friend that I had become so forgetful that led her to ask me my age and tell me what was going on. I used to be a natural speller, all of a sudden i was having to google the simplest of words
I also can’t concentrate anymore . I love reading but I can’t cope with anymore than 15-20 mins at any one time . It is extremely frustrating.

• Heart
I also can’t concentrate anymore . I love reading but I can’t cope with anymore than 15-20 mins at any one time . It is extremely frustrating.
Do you spend a lot of time online as well? I find that my concentration has been ruined for reading which I love, because online scrolling has mucked up my attention span.

Reactions: 6
Do you spend a lot of time online as well? I find that my concentration has been ruined for reading which I love, because online scrolling has mucked up my attention span.
Yes - I’m sat in front a pc all day (5 days a week). I do try and take regular breaks when I can and go outside at lunch. Doesn’t help for too long - by the time I am back at home at 6ish I am shattered

I would recommend writing all your symptoms down to discuss with your Dr. Blood test are useful for some things but your hormones can read differently hour by hour so can't be relied upon for diagnosing Peri menopause. If your Dr is not helpful or understanding ask to see another. I'm 44 and been on HRT for about 2 years now.

Bloody Dr's! I phoned my surgery 6 weeks ago to get a telephone appt with a Dr about getting testosterone added too. I waited an 1.5hr for the call then went out. (They then rang back twice after but I missed the calls as I was busy.) Rant over. Is anyone else Dr's like this?

I would recommend writing all your symptoms down to discuss with your Dr. Blood test are useful for some things but your hormones can read differently hour by hour so can't be relied upon for diagnosing Peri menopause. If your Dr is not helpful or understanding ask to see another. I'm 44 and been on HRT for about 2 years now.
Thank you so much x

I am 49 and think my symptoms are starting, awake half the night, shattered all day and I am getting loads of headaches. I had loads of headaches as a young teenager so they must be hormone related.
I have a friend who is slightly younger than me she has HRT and can sleep again, does anyone have any recommendations to help me sleep?

• Heart
HRT is helping me sleep too. Before I started on it, I did progressive muscle relaxation using the Calm app, then listened to one of their sleep stories. Cut back on coffee to one at morning tea and ate less carbs with my evening meal. I've never been a great sleeper 😕