Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is really embarrassing 🙈 but here goes 🫤
Iv noticed recently after going to the toilet for a pee there’s a smell left behind, I shower every day so it’s not that I’m dirty. Does this happen to anyone else and if so what have you done to change this ?? All recommendations welcome 🙏🏻 I’m so paranoid
It’s not embarrassing at all 😙 Sometimes the changes in hormones in our bodies during peri/menopause can cause a smell or odour in your urine. But as it’s a change for you and your noticing it, I would definitely get on to your gp to check a urine sample to make sure it’s not from an infection

• Heart
Reactions: 3
It’s not embarrassing at all 😙 Sometimes the changes in hormones in our bodies during peri/menopause can cause a smell or odour in your urine. But as it’s a change for you and your noticing it, I would definitely get on to your gp to check a urine sample to make sure it’s not from an infection
Thank you 🙏🏻 I’ll try get an appointment

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I have noticed my pee smelling a bit - it’s usually strongest when i am having my first wee of the day / the ammonia stink is quite potent. I know that first wee of the day usually does smell more so it’s not something I thought of as being a possible symptom of peri menopause.

Mine does tend to be ok after the first visit so maybe I just happen to have extra ammonia smelling wee ( sorry everyone 🤢)

Im 45 and never gave menopause a second thought. I just thought ill deal with it as and when etc. Now all these celebrities are banging on about it its starting to make me anxious. Its annoying!!! Also i cant help but think these middldaged women are just using this topic as a way of staying relevant.

Thank you 🙏🏻 I’ll try get an appointment
I think it's your sense of smell that is heightened. Track it and see if it happens every day or if it is occasional and if occasional, what else is happening. I went through a period of smelling fish then it changed to dogshit :ROFLMAO:

Hi there I’m new to this thread and was just wondering, if you don’t mind me asking, what age did your periods stop? I’m 54 and still having horrendous periods every month! I have fibroids and am waiting for appt with Gynae consultant. Had an appt for Mirena coil to be fitted but issues with my cervix meant GP couldn’t do it. Hence consultant appt.
Just wondering if I’ll ever be menopausal!! Never thought I’d wish for it but so fed up every month of painful hideous periods.
Other than tit sleep ( but it’s been tit since my mum died 5 years ago 🤷🏻‍♀️) and being a bit forgetful I have absolutely no symptoms! Blood test showed no changes in hormone levels either as Gp requested those. My husband jokes(!) I’ll still be having periods when I’m 60!
Thanks.

Reactions: 2
I think it's your sense of smell that is heightened. Track it and see if it happens every day or if it is occasional and if occasional, what else is happening. I went through a period of smelling fish then it changed to dogshit :ROFLMAO:
Yes that’s a good idea to keep note of it, also iv not taken my periods this month 🫤

Hi there I’m new to this thread and was just wondering, if you don’t mind me asking, what age did your periods stop? I’m 54 and still having horrendous periods every month! I have fibroids and am waiting for appt with Gynae consultant. Had an appt for Mirena coil to be fitted but issues with my cervix meant GP couldn’t do it. Hence consultant appt.
Just wondering if I’ll ever be menopausal!! Never thought I’d wish for it but so fed up every month of painful hideous periods.
Other than tit sleep ( but it’s been tit since my mum died 5 years ago 🤷🏻‍♀️) and being a bit forgetful I have absolutely no symptoms! Blood test showed no changes in hormone levels either as Gp requested those. My husband jokes(!) I’ll still be having periods when I’m 60!
Thanks.
Hi iv have suffered all my life with horrendous periods and everything else that goes with it, I always thought this was just normal until over a year ago a lump appeared in my tummy got all the test done and was told I had fibroids and that the heavy bleeding and pain every month where not normal 🫤 so the past few months things have been changing and this month nothing so I’m praying this is the start 🙏🏻 plus I’ll save myself a fortune too 👍🏻 iv had a lot of other symptoms of peri for years

Last edited:
Im 45 and never gave menopause a second thought. I just thought ill deal with it as and when etc. Now all these celebrities are banging on about it its starting to make me anxious. Its annoying!!! Also i cant help but think these middldaged women are just using this topic as a way of staying relevant.
The menopause, just like periods, are different for every woman. I know people who have gone through it with minimal effects, others were floored. I find it quite irritating that lots of celebs have jumped on a bandwagon, but at least the menopause Is being talked about now in an open way. GPs get minimal time on learning about menopause, there is a large degree of self help going on, so if people are struggling, at least they have got the conversation going in a open way. Hopefully your experience as a middle aged woman yourself, will be smooth sailing and you don’t annoy people by bringing it up. It does tend to play on your mind a bit if you are suffering.

Reactions: 6
Thanks.
I’m also 54 and still have monthly periods! Dr told me it was a good thing and to hang onto my estrogen for as long as possible ! My periods used to be very light but now they’re heavy and painful 😖

It's not a bad idea to start thinking about though. Not to get anxious, of course, but just to create an awareness. There's no real reason to think about it when you're younger, but at this age, then I think it's good to be prepared.

QUOTE="Woolmercardington, post: 12740506, member: 51536"]
It's not a bad idea to start thinking about though. Not to get anxious, of course, but just to create an awareness. There's no real reason to think about it when you're younger, but at this age, then I think it's good to be prepared.
[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah def i mean im glad its being talked about...but i dont think everyone has such an awful experience..now im more fearful as everyone keeps going on about it. But at the same time its a huge change and needs to be less taboo. The same with menstratation. It play s such a big part in every day life all the hormonal ups and downs

The menopause, just like periods, are different for every woman. I know people who have gone through it with minimal effects, others were floored. I find it quite irritating that lots of celebs have jumped on a bandwagon, but at least the menopause Is being talked about now in an open way. GPs get minimal time on learning about menopause, there is a large degree of self help going on, so if people are struggling, at least they have got the conversation going in a open way. Hopefully your experience as a middle aged woman yourself, will be smooth sailing and you don’t annoy people by bringing it up. It does tend to play on your mind a bit if you are suffering.
My point is all this so called awareness has actually made me worry and more anxious than not.

Last edited:
QUOTE="Woolmercardington, post: 12740506, member: 51536"]
Oh yeah def i mean im glad its being talked about...but i dont think everyone has such an awful experience..now im more fearful as everyone keeps going on about it. But at the same time its a huge change and needs to be less taboo. The same with menstratation. It play s such a big part in every day life all the hormonal ups and downs

My point is all this so called awareness has actually made me worry and more anxious than not.
[/QUOTE]
I really wish that there had been more awareness when I was 46. I can't say I flet awful but I started to disconnect. I owned a successful business, assumed it was that that was making me an insomniac and generally disinterested so sold it, literally the biggest mistake of my life, the consequences left me seriously depressed and suicidal. But for that quite frankly I would've sailed through the menopause (apart from the sodding matronly belly) I disagree that younger women shouldn't pay attention, what the menopause taught me was to really focus on my body and all the small things that change throughout the month. I'd advocate for all young women to diarise their moods and really get a handle on what our hormones do. (literally everything)
I don't think you need to be anxious but do start to pay attention to your body. The one thing that really honed down what was happening was weighing myself everyday. the fluctuations in weight pinpointed the other things such as mood drops, heightened smell, insomnia, change in bowels and bladder (yes really) it really helped me put it all together

• Heart
Reactions: 4

I really wish that there had been more awareness when I was 46. I can't say I flet awful but I started to disconnect. I owned a successful business, assumed it was that that was making me an insomniac and generally disinterested so sold it, literally the biggest mistake of my life, the consequences left me seriously depressed and suicidal. But for that quite frankly I would've sailed through the menopause (apart from the sodding matronly belly) I disagree that younger women shouldn't pay attention, what the menopause taught me was to really focus on my body and all the small things that change throughout the month. I'd advocate for all young women to diarise their moods and really get a handle on what our hormones do. (literally everything)
I don't think you need to be anxious but do start to pay attention to your body. The one thing that really honed down what was happening was weighing myself everyday. the fluctuations in weight pinpointed the other things such as mood drops, heightened smell, insomnia, change in bowels and bladder (yes really) it really helped me put it all together
[/QUOTE]
I think im def more aware but the thing i most worry about it getting breast cancer. Feel like its almost a given. Especially if you drink alcohol. Every time i have a drink i feel anxious im giving myself breast cancer and ill only have myself to blame

So....
I have a coil and had some tests last year that confirmed I was over the menopause.

This last three weeks, I feel that I am going to start bleeding, cry at the drop of a hat and my chin is so bad with hair, that I need to shave everyday. What's going on???

Hello 👋

Can I ask if anyone has had pain increase with their menopause symptoms.

I am mid 40s but have been having pain almost daily in the area of one of my ovaries almost daily. Coupled with massive breasts, bloating, headaches and being in the worst moods it feels like permanent pms for me.

Are these normal menopausal symptoms?

Hello 👋

I am mid 40s but have been having pain almost daily in the area of one of my ovaries almost daily. Coupled with massive breasts, bloating, headaches and being in the worst moods it feels like permanent pms for me.

Sounds normal to me apart from the daily pain in your ovaries. I would check that out with your GP.

Funnily enough I’m on day 4 of a period and have pain in my ovary today.

Sounds normal to me apart from the daily pain in your ovaries. I would check that out with your GP.

Funnily enough I’m on day 4 of a period and have pain in my ovary today.
I’ve had the pain for a few years, usually right before a period and sometimes very couple of months like halfway through my cycle but now it’s almost always there and I need to take pain meds for it or put a heat pad on

I’ve had the pain for a few years, usually right before a period and sometimes very couple of months like halfway through my cycle but now it’s almost always there and I need to take pain meds for it or put a heat pad on
I would definitely get it checked out. One problem with peri menopause is there is such a large list of symptoms that sometimes we put everything down to peri when in fact it could be an underlying health problem, so best to see your GP I would say.

Reactions: 5
Hello 👋

Yes all sounds like what I’m going through,
(but please go to the doctor)
iv had those symptoms for a few years iv always had heavy periods and bad pms but they got worse then about 1.5 year ago a massive lump appeared on the right side lower tummy, got all the test done and was told I have large fibroids.

@ginger tea and @Suzesnooze - thank you both so much for taking the time to reply.

I have a call with the GP on Monday.

I also have to say my mood feels a little lightened after reading the thread and knowing I’m not the only person going through this. And also there may be some help out there and I’m not destined to be this miserable old cow for eternity. I’ve felt a huge pressure to try and keep it all together and not be the stereotypical ‘mad woman’ with my family.

But today I sat with my partner and explained how I was feeling, what I was going through and what my worries were and being able to have that chat with him and explain that it might be menopausal and possibly something else with my ovary was a great weight off.

Reactions: 8