Pregnancy #59

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On the subject of massages, are pregnancy ones good? Do you lie on your side and do they massage as hard?
I’ve had one so far, it definitely wasn’t as relaxing (I.e I’m normally basically asleep by the end) because you have to lie in funny ways or sit upright), but I definitely found it beneficial. I sat up hugging a pillow for the back and neck section and then laid down for the rest (but if I was further along I would have been on my side). I’m thinking in future I’ll get an Indian head massage and maybe neck and shoulder where you can basically be upright.

Reactions: 1
On the subject of massages, are pregnancy ones good? Do you lie on your side and do they massage as hard?
I laid on my side with a pillow between my legs whilst she did my back.
And laid on my back whilst she did my arms and feet.

I’ve had two. One was on my side and they went pretty soft so it was relaxing but I felt not much relief. The second one had an actual pregnancy bed so it had bump/boob holes so you could lie on your front and she went to town on my shoulders and neck and it was amazing. I paid extra for her as she was a master therapist at the salon but worth every penny.

Reactions: 2
Mine said they won’t do any earlier than 39 because of the risk of them having to stay in. I don’t really understand though as 37 weeks is full term :( just wish it could be slightly earlier as I’ve been so anxious (and in turn always in triage!)
Both of my girls were born at 36 weeks (spontaneous labour, with one ending up being born at home because of how fast of an entrance she decided to make!) but, yes, most trusts won't do an elective c-section before 39 weeks, despite babies being born completely healthy prior to 39 weeks. I know there are higher chances of breathing difficulties before 39 weeks, but not always.

I've worked for the NHS for years and sometimes I still get baffled by the reasoning they have in place.

Mine said they won’t do any earlier than 39 because of the risk of them having to stay in. I don’t really understand though as 37 weeks is full term :( just wish it could be slightly earlier as I’ve been so anxious (and in turn always in triage!)
Yeah they are reluctant and a few people have mentioned the reasoning even tho it's a bit annoying!
My son was born at 37 as an emergency c-section we where let home the next day but did have various appointments in the children's hospital due to his breathing, they ultimately said because he was early and a c-section it affected his breathing ever so slightly. It all righted itself after a few months though.
My friend had an elective section in December at 38 weeks exactly, she's very short and has giant babies and it took a LOT of battling for her to get them to agree, she could barely walk at the end and it genuinely looked like she couldn't grow another centimeter!
I think obviously like everything each trust varies and I believe I only got mine ever so slightly before 39 weeks is because my consultant works alongside the perinatal mental health team which I am under so she was already aware of my anxieties and thoughts around labour etc.
Hopefully you get something sorted for yourself though that works better than the plan that's in place now x

• Heart
Annoyingly my consultant has already said to me it’s incredibly likely he will come earlier as he’s off the chart in terms of growth, but if he is they’ll just do an emergency one. I think I’m going to have to ask again when I’m next in clinic.
Same here (off charts, coming early) and tbf they’re not doing the growth scan until 37+4 which doesn’t leave long to do it early.
I do wonder if she said it because she’d just gone through all the reasons why elective was better than emergency so it was really contradictory to say, ‘It’s much safer to plan, you shouldn’t go on to labour naturally then ask for one, but given their size, that’s likely to happen and we’re doing nothing to prevent it’

RE turning breech babies, I didn’t manage to turn mine so had the ECV. My experience wasn’t nearly as bad as it’d been made out to be. It was uncomfortable in the moment but as soon as they took their hands off the pain stopped so it was all over in, I’d say, less than a min.

• Heart
Booked myself in with my acupuncturist. And she suggested the moxibustion. So worth a try!

Ended up throwing up on the way home. But at least I got through the two hours first as my god it’s not something I’d like to do again anytime soon

• Heart
Reactions: 6
They told me the same. Lung development is better at 39 and because baby isn’t squeezed coming through birth canal they’re more likely to experience breathing problems already.

In my case, if baby gets so big they’re likely to come before they might do it earlier because then the safety risk to me becomes worse than the risk baby would have a problem - so pretty much, all done on a balance of risk but all being equal, the optimum for baby is to come 39+
it’s worth noting that if you go into labour spontaneously and have contractions, that also helps stimulate the babies lungs and prepare/mature them for birth (regardless of how they are born)

although, with that being said… I laboured for almost 70 hours with my first, delivered at 39w exactly by EMCS and they still sounded gurgly for the first day or two after being born (although didn’t need any help with breathing other than a really hard rub down to get them crying!)

On the flip side I know someone who went into spontaneous labour at 36+5, delivered by EMCS and had a 5lber compared to my 7lber and had zero breathing issues or gurglyness at all!

we’ve been offered steroids for the twins (even if I reach my elective date of 37+3) and I’m not yet sure it’s something we will say yes to upon reading into it and the evidence associated with having them after 37w.

like you say it’s all about balancing risk of mum/baby, but I find it reassuring to remind myself that babies lungs are fully developed by the end of the 36th week.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Yeah they are reluctant and a few people have mentioned the reasoning even tho it's a bit annoying!
My son was born at 37 as an emergency c-section we where let home the next day but did have various appointments in the children's hospital due to his breathing, they ultimately said because he was early and a c-section it affected his breathing ever so slightly. It all righted itself after a few months though.
My friend had an elective section in December at 38 weeks exactly, she's very short and has giant babies and it took a LOT of battling for her to get them to agree, she could barely walk at the end and it genuinely looked like she couldn't grow another centimeter!
I think obviously like everything each trust varies and I believe I only got mine ever so slightly before 39 weeks is because my consultant works alongside the perinatal mental health team which I am under so she was already aware of my anxieties and thoughts around labour etc.
Hopefully you get something sorted for yourself though that works better than the plan that's in place now x
I’ve been waiting for my perinatal mental health referral for the last 22 weeks. I’ve gave up asking at my appointments now. The last I was told was that the one midwife that deals with it is on long term sick - which is just ridiculous, as women need the service!

• Sad
I’ve been waiting for my perinatal mental health referral for the last 22 weeks. I’ve gave up asking at my appointments now. The last I was told was that the one midwife that deals with it is on long term sick - which is just ridiculous, as women need the service!
Ah that's so disappointing that you've had that experience with the perinatal team, there should 100% be more than one person who deals with it! I know things vary depending where you are based but something as important as perinatal MH should be the same across all trusts 💔

• Heart
Are you going through your midwife or GP? The GP referred me to the normal mental health assessment people but it went as a priority because of pregnancy. Perhaps you could speak to them if the maternity services aren't helping? NICE guidelines say you should be getting help in a 'timely' manner. It's outrageous you have to wait that long!

@aggytha It's frustrating that it's all based on stats to establish risk but I appreciate they do what they can with the resources they have. Even in private care, I don't know how much they can see with ultrasound to make individual recommendations. In so many ways I'd love this baby to come sooner rather than later I must admit. No one's really said though if baby being bigger will mean they're more developed, as it were.
7lbs at 39+1 last time here too. I can't believe now how I never anticipated how different this pregnancy would be from the last. Yours must be so much to get your head around. It's starting over isn't it!?

Last edited:
Re planned sections.. I was told from about 22 weeks onwards that I’d probably have mine at 36 weeks because they didn’t want me going in to labour at all due to placenta position and continuous heavy bleeding. Not once at that point did they say it was risky and that usually they’d do it at 39 weeks, I was just repeatedly told they would likely do a ELCS at 36 weeks. Then it was 37 weeks because the bleeding stopped but placenta was still in the wrong place. Then placenta moved slightly and they pushed it back to 39+5! And then they brought it forward again to 39 weeks due to GD.

What frustrated me though was the last 2 weeks, as I’m sure those who were on the thread back then will remember, I had reduced movement, baby had tachycardia, and then scans showed he wasn’t growing. But they still stuck to 39 weeks then and blamed it on adhd risks. Even though for the majority of my pregnancy we were never getting to 39 weeks. Seems like the 39 week rule is only in place when it suits them.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Are you going through your midwife or GP? The GP referred me to the normal mental health assessment people but it went as a priority because of pregnancy. Perhaps you could speak to them if the maternity services aren't helping? NICE guidelines say you should be getting help in a 'timely' manner. It's outrageous you have to wait that long!
So this is through my midwife. Initially referred through booking, and then I’ve asked consultants at every clinic. My GP told me to self refer to talking therapy 😂. I’ve gave up hope now, I don’t have long left, and I’m not as anxious as I was early down the line. Instead I self-funded counselling and paid for weekly ultrasounds to try and manage things. Dread to think how much it’s all cost me.

• Heart
hi everyone, i’m very new to the thread so sorry if this question isn’t the vibe but i’m 24 weeks & just wanted to know what sort of involvement people have had with their midwives at this point & what their midwife appointments consist of? i messaged mine on monday with still no reply and she’s also admitted to forgetting about arranging my appointments in so my first appointment since my booking apt is end of the month 🫠

• Heart
hi everyone, i’m very new to the thread so sorry if this question isn’t the vibe but i’m 24 weeks & just wanted to know what sort of involvement people have had with their midwives at this point & what their midwife appointments consist of? i messaged mine on monday with still no reply and she’s also admitted to forgetting about arranging my appointments in so my first appointment since my booking apt is end of the month 🫠
This is standard across the NHS https://www.nhs.uk/pregnancy/your-pregnancy-care/your-antenatal-appointments/

I think I need to stop talking about the things I don't want to happen as I'm just talking it up for myself. I mentioned pregnancy nose ages ago and I feel like suddenly my nose is very wide. I mentioned a few weeks ago about the fear of cankles and low and behold my bleeping ankles have swollen massively. I'm not going to violate you all with a pic of my fat feet but they're HUGE. 😩😩😩

• Haha
Reactions: 8
hello! I’m also 24 weeks. So far I’ve had my booking appointment at 10 weeks, midwife at 16 and 22 weeks and have booked my next midwife appointment at 28 weeks.
16 weeks was basically a urine and blood pressure check. 22 weeks was the same but with a listen to heartbeat and 28 will be another blood test.
---
I think I need to stop talking about the things I don't want to happen as I'm just talking it up for myself. I mentioned pregnancy nose ages ago and I feel like suddenly my nose is very wide. I mentioned a few weeks ago about the fear of cankles and low and behold my bleeping ankles have swollen massively. I'm not going to violate you all with a pic of my fat feet but they're HUGE. 😩😩😩
it’s actually crazy the things that happen to our bodies in pregnancy and we just have to embrace it! This happened to my friend at work, she’s quite small and petite and her husband is about 6’4 - she ended up having to wear his clothes and shoes because she was so swollen!!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.