Pregnancy #52

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m all about everything in moderation. I had teas & coffees & chocolate & fizzy drinks which are all caffeinated (I haven’t looked into quantities) but probably have 1-2 cups of tea a day, not even 1 coffee a day, 1-2 cans of fizzy juice a day and quite a lot of chocolate! Fizzy juice & chocolate are my cravings! I personally don’t choose to drink when pregnant as I’m not really a causal drinker as in wouldn’t sit and have a glass of wine at home, I only really drank when having a night out for an occasion so for me having 1 glass with a meal etc is pointless as I don’t massively enjoy the taste, used to just drink for a good time. Would far rather have a coke etc with my meal. My festive period will be spend on schloer🤣

Reactions: 1
I personally have made choices within my own comfort zone. I do have caffeine but no caffeinated coffee and only 2-3 proper teas a day (think this falls within the guideline amounts). I don’t eat cheese anyway so that’s not been an issue for me. I have had some cured meat when it’s been on a buffet but only a couple of slices and again it’s not something I eat regularly. Alcohol wise I have had the odd drink - I have been to a couple of weddings and had a glass of champagne. On holiday I had a glass of red wine on my last night. But nothing habitual. Other than the odd sip of a drink to try someone else’s 😂 I do intend to have a glass of red wine with my Christmas dinner and glass of champagne on NYE. I’ll be 36 weeks then.
Alcohol I find when you read the guidance they tell you it’s 0 they recommend because they don’t know what’s safe. But then a number of years ago they told women with low iron to drink a Guinness a day! Plus in my line of work I work with people with substance abuse issues and see them have pregnancies whilst using many substances (not condoning this at all!) and they often have well babies (apart from withdrawal). So I’ve also been of the opinion I want don’t want to be reckless but I trust my own judgment.
I think your dead right, I think you make your own decisions based on your risk factors and experiences and it's not one size fits all. I know plenty who have smoked and drank during pregnancy and you know what, it doesn't effect me so I don't care. All I care about is my baby and myself

Reactions: 4
is anyone else not too bothered about pregnancy food and drink rules 😂 I'll have a coffee as normal etc, just obvs not over doing it. I'll still be having prosciutto on my cheese board, might even have a lick of some baileys dessert cream with my yule log lol. There's nothing I've had to change or cut out really!
Honestly it’s so OTT. Most of the advice is based on the higher risk associated with getting food poisoning. Which you obviously don’t want to get when pregnant. But that doesn’t mean the food is inherently bad for you… it just means it carries a higher risk.

So I’ve avoided sushi obviously, and I’m being a bit careful around anything that isn’t fully cooked. But I’m not obsessing about it. For example smoked salmon was OK when I had my first child in 2017 (and I ate it multiple times a week with no issue). Now it’s not ok with the NHS, and my friend (first time baby, has absorbed all the rules verbatim) was telling me I was crazy to eat it. I’m happy to adapt if there is loads of new evidence (which apparently there is with smoked salmon) - but it’s does feel a bit OTT.

I feel slightly differently with things like coffee and alcohol - as they are actually mind and body altering chemicals that could affect the child. But even then, with coffee, it’s like - is having two cups one day really going to make that much of a difference? Or one mulled wine? I really don’t think so. And I’m not counting tea or coffee - the caffeine amounts are so low. However I do worry about women who drink regularly (even in low amounts) - as I’ve heard from two midwife friends how serious Fetal Alcohol Syndrome can be (and it’s less about volumes drunk, and more about regularity). My sister regularly had 2 glasses of white wine (at least twice a week, throughout) and her kids don’t have problems, but my midwife friends tell me this amount is very close to what causes most cases of FAS.

Reactions: 6
The other week my fella bought some stuff in for lunch and he bought bagels, smoked salmon and cream cheese. I said I’d have a ham & cheese bagel instead but as I was watching him making his first I said no I’ll have a salmon one it won’t hurt 😭 you know when food just tastes so so so so so good when you’re pregnant? It was so delicious, i didn’t want it to end 😂

Reactions: 2
Honestly it’s so OTT. Most of the advice is based on the higher risk associated with getting food poisoning. Which you obviously don’t want to get when pregnant. But that doesn’t mean the food is inherently bad for you… it just means it carries a higher risk.

So I’ve avoided sushi obviously, and I’m being a bit careful around anything that isn’t fully cooked. But I’m not obsessing about it. For example smoked salmon was OK when I had my first child in 2017 (and I ate it multiple times a week with no issue). Now it’s not ok with the NHS, and my friend (first time baby, has absorbed all the rules verbatim) was telling me I was crazy to eat it. I’m happy to adapt if there is loads of new evidence (which apparently there is with smoked salmon) - but it’s does feel a bit OTT.

I feel slightly differently with things like coffee and alcohol - as they are actually mind and body altering chemicals that could affect the child. But even then, with coffee, it’s like - is having two cups one day really going to make that much of a difference? Or one mulled wine? I really don’t think so. And I’m not counting tea or coffee - the caffeine amounts are so low. However I do worry about women who drink regularly (even in low amounts) - as I’ve heard from two midwife friends how serious Fetal Alcohol Syndrome can be (and it’s less about volumes drunk, and more about regularity). My sister regularly had 2 glasses of white wine (at least twice a week, throughout) and her kids don’t have problems, but my midwife friends tell me this amount is very close to what causes most cases of FAS.
wouldn't bother with alcohol but I agree with the tea and coffee thing, the amount of people saying 'should you be drinking that' even though I have 1 coffee a day max and a cuppa at night!!

also side note- starting to feel baby now at 21 weeks. Very gentle swirls and taps but it feels so strange, keeps making me jump! Alsmost makes me feel queasy!!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
wouldn't bother with alcohol but I agree with the tea and coffee thing, the amount of people saying 'should you be drinking that' even though I have 1 coffee a day max and a cuppa at night!!

also side note- starting to feel baby now at 21 weeks. Very gentle swirls and taps but it feels so strange, keeps making me jump! Alsmost makes me feel queasy!!
I'm 31 weeks and the movements keep making me jump, they don't get old 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Has anybody found any good remedy for Acid Reflux? I’m eating Rennies like there’s no tomorrow, but they don’t make a huge difference…

The pill I used to pop daily in my first pregnancy (active ingredient: ranitidine) has since been taken off the market…

I find Gavsicon really disgusting, but if somebody tells me it works then I will definitely give it another go!
---
I'm 31 weeks and the movements keep making me jump, they don't get old 😁
God I still jump so much! It’s lovely though, as it’s like a constant reassurance.
---
The other week my fella bought some stuff in for lunch and he bought bagels, smoked salmon and cream cheese. I said I’d have a ham & cheese bagel instead but as I was watching him making his first I said no I’ll have a salmon one it won’t hurt 😭 you know when food just tastes so so so so so good when you’re pregnant? It was so delicious, i didn’t want it to end 😂
I would have done the same 😂

Has anybody found any good remedy for Acid Reflux? I’m eating Rennies like there’s no tomorrow, but they don’t make a huge difference…

The pill I used to pop daily in my first pregnancy (active ingredient: ranitidine) has since been taken off the market…

I find Gavsicon really disgusting, but if somebody tells me it works then I will definitely give it another go!
---
I read that love heart sweets really help but I cannot stand them and they make me heave.

Towards the end with my first nothing over the counter helped and the GP prescribed omeprazole and it was a life saver!
---
is anyone else not too bothered about pregnancy food and drink rules 😂 I'll have a coffee as normal etc, just obvs not over doing it. I'll still be having prosciutto on my cheese board, might even have a lick of some baileys dessert cream with my yule log lol. There's nothing I've had to change or cut out really!
I don't drink or eat a lot of the things you can't anyway so it's not too bad for me. Tea now makes me sick so my caffeine intake is from coke zero, I have cut down how much I have though. I'm not counting chocolate in my caffeine intake!
With my first I craved mcflurries and had loads, it was only towards the end I was told you're not allowed those or Mr whippy style ice cream. Apparently it's more to do with the machines not being cleaned properly so there's a risk of bacteria like listeria!

I read that love heart sweets really help but I cannot stand them and they make me heave.

Towards the end with my first nothing over the counter helped and the GP prescribed omeprazole and it was a life saver!
---

I don't drink or eat a lot of the things you can't anyway so it's not too bad for me. Tea now makes me sick so my caffeine intake is from coke zero, I have cut down how much I have though. I'm not counting chocolate in my caffeine intake!
With my first I craved mcflurries and had loads, it was only towards the end I was told you're not allowed those or Mr whippy style ice cream. Apparently it's more to do with the machines not being cleaned properly so there's a risk of bacteria like listeria!
never even heard of not being allowed whippy ice cream!

Re the restrictions... ladies I just had a rare steak for the first time in nine months and just wanted to hold it over you all 🤪 I did have to eat it with a breast pump attached but swings and roundabouts

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I know no one in this thread can give me an answer, but I just want to hear others experience 🙁 has anyone experienced bleeding at 7/8 weeks and everything been ok?
I’ve had some bleeding today, it wasn’t proper blood, more like a brown discharge? ( a bit like when you’re nearing the end of your period). It was in my knickers and then again when I wiped but none since. I spoke to my GP who said they can’t examine me until it’s been 24 hours or I’ve had more “red” blood accompanied by pains, which I understand as obviously brown discharge *can be normal but my brain is going into overdrive.
I’ve been super anxious as we’ve tried for coming up to 2 years now so I’m so desperate for this to go smoothly. I’ve not really had many symptoms other than being tired, sore breasts and peeing more than normal. That’s been making me anxious too as I feel like I should be getting more symptoms 😩
We are thinking of a private scan but Obvs with Christmas it’s hard to get an appointment and my first midwife appointment isn’t until after new year.

sorry this is so long I just needed to vent and would be keen to hear if anyone else has experienced the same?
See if you can find a number for the Early pregnancy unit (EPU) and self refer. Failing that, number for the midwife team, they may be able to refer you. At 7-8wks they’ll be able to scan. My cousin had significant bleeding in both of her pregnancies and both remained and produced perfectly healthy babies.

• Heart
I know no one in this thread can give me an answer, but I just want to hear others experience 🙁 has anyone experienced bleeding at 7/8 weeks and everything been ok?
I’ve had some bleeding today, it wasn’t proper blood, more like a brown discharge? ( a bit like when you’re nearing the end of your period). It was in my knickers and then again when I wiped but none since. I spoke to my GP who said they can’t examine me until it’s been 24 hours or I’ve had more “red” blood accompanied by pains, which I understand as obviously brown discharge *can be normal but my brain is going into overdrive.
I’ve been super anxious as we’ve tried for coming up to 2 years now so I’m so desperate for this to go smoothly. I’ve not really had many symptoms other than being tired, sore breasts and peeing more than normal. That’s been making me anxious too as I feel like I should be getting more symptoms 😩
We are thinking of a private scan but Obviously with Christmas it’s hard to get an appointment and my first midwife appointment isn’t until after new year.

sorry this is so long I just needed to vent and would be keen to hear if anyone else has experienced the same?
I’ve had the exact same symptoms as you. I’m 7+4 and had some bleeding and pink discharge when I wipe. I have a scan tomorrow to see what’s going on.

• Heart

---

God I still jump so much! It’s lovely though, as it’s like a constant reassurance.
---

Gaviscon is the only thing that's helped me. If you really can't stomach it I'd speak to your GP. They will give you some omeprazole of lansoprazole to help with the issue.

Hi all, I’m somewhere between 10-11 weeks pregnant. I had a private scan this week which measured a few days ahead of where I thought I was but I’ll wait for my 12 week NHS scan in the new year to confirm, but I’ll be due some time in July. It was such a surreal and emotional feeling seeing our tiny baby on screen and I was amazed by how much it moved!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Hi everyone ☺
Took a positive test last week after realising my period seemed late! (TTC but always forgetting to write down dates).
my last known period was 11th sept but I have had x2 periods since then.
will drs work it out from that until my 12 week scan is booked in? Don’t see the midwife until 4th of jan so feel a bit lost!
I also wasn’t sure on dates as hadn’t paid attention to my last period. At my booking appointment they literally guessed with what I could remember. I was then given a proper date at the 12 week scan and that’s what they have stuck with.
---

---

---

I am really suffering with acid reflux too. The doctor prescribed me omeprazole and was pretty relaxed about it given it was pregnancy related. I do sometimes still need rennies/gaviscon and only odd times since have I suffered badly! I’d definitely speak to your GP

I don't drink coffee or alcohol and I'm vegan so most of the food rules don't apply to me. My little one does enough zoomies in my tummy without me adding caffeine from tea and chocolate into the mix so I tend to avoid that too 🤣

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.