Pregnancy #45

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel like the general information they give and online makes out it’s because of your diet/bmi. I had an “overweight” bmi at booking so feel judged. Idk maybe it’s because my fatphobic mum was with me 😂. I also just don’t really understand as his head and abdominal circumference say 94th centile but his expected weight is average for this stage in pregnancy so I just feel a bit overwhelmed trying to make sense of it all.
I might be wrong but I believe the baby's centiles are also measured according to the mum's height/size... Are you quite short maybe? Don't know if that could affect things!

I feel like the general information they give and online makes out it’s because of your diet/bmi. I had an “overweight” bmi at booking so feel judged. Idk maybe it’s because my fatphobic mum was with me 😂. I also just don’t really understand as his head and abdominal circumference say 94th centile but his expected weight is average for this stage in pregnancy so I just feel a bit overwhelmed trying to make sense of it all.
In my experience,
Everyone's charts are tailored to them.
So your 94th percentile may be someone else's 40th, or off the chart for someone else.
It takes into consideration your weight/height ect.

Can I ask why 94th percentile baby is a bad thing though? And why you'd feel bad about it?

94th also doesn't mean average.
It means if you were to line 100 babies up born to mums of your height and weight, yours would be 94th in line.
For another person, it would be different.

Your bmi also makes no difference with weight for the baby.
My bmi for my first pregnancy was 56. He was 7lb 8.
My second pregnancy my bmi was 50, she was 11lbs.
My 3rd, my bmi was 39 and she was 6lb 14.
My friends bmi is below 30 and her baby was 9lb.

I was told my 3rd was 90th percentile on the growth scans, estimated at 10lbs.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
In my experience,
Everyone's charts are tailored to them.
So your 94th percentile may be someone else's 40th, or off the chart for someone else.
It takes into consideration your weight/height ect.

Can I ask why 94th percentile baby is a bad thing though? And why you'd feel bad about it?

94th also doesn't mean average.
It means if you were to line 100 babies up born to mums of your height and weight, yours would be 94th in line.
For another person, it would be different.

Your bmi also makes no difference with weight for the baby.
My bmi for my first pregnancy was 56. He was 7lb 8.
My second pregnancy my bmi was 50, she was 11lbs.
My 3rd, my bmi was 39 and she was 6lb 14.
My friends bmi is below 30 and her baby was 9lb.

I was told my 3rd was 90th percentile on the growth scans, estimated at 10lbs.
This all makes a lot more sense to me now, thank you. It was just the way the guy said it during the scan he was like “oh on the bigger side.” Then pulled a face and said “94th centile.” And I asked what that mean was it a bad thing and he sort of squirmed and said “not yet no it’s too early.” So it just kind of made me panic. Sorry if I’ve overreacted or misunderstood.

Reactions: 1
If you could control the weight of your baby solely through what you ate, there wouldn’t be any more teeny tiny fragile babies, or on the other end of the scale, babies too big to be delivered safely. They’re just keeping an eye on your baby, and at the minute baby is growing fine and there’s no cause to do anything else. Do you have another scan booked?

***not advice, just experience

Reactions: 4
This might sound like a silly question but in general does small parents equal small baby?

Lots of people have been saying I’ll have a little baby due to the fact I’m very little (just my build is petite naturally) and his dad is only 5’8 with small feet lol. I’m little now but I wasn’t a small baby so I feel like he could be any size and it just depends!

This might sound like a silly question but in general does small parents equal small baby?

Lots of people have been saying I’ll have a little baby due to the fact I’m very little (just my build is petite naturally) and his dad is only 5’8 with small feet lol. I’m little now but I wasn’t a small baby so I feel like he could be any size and it just depends!
There is an element of genetics. Eg my (white British) friends moved to China, had a normal sized baby, and it was the biggest baby that had been born in about five years there (I think baby was approximately 9lb 2oz ish? I don’t quite remember. But they put a picture of him on the wall 😂)
But sometimes babies are born small for other reasons. Sometimes things like diabetes can make babies macrosomic.

Tl;dr: babies do what they like 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 7
If you could control the weight of your baby solely through what you ate, there wouldn’t be any more teeny tiny fragile babies, or on the other end of the scale, babies too big to be delivered safely. They’re just keeping an eye on your baby, and at the minute baby is growing fine and there’s no cause to do anything else. Do you have another scan booked?

***not advice, just experience
Yeah I have two more booked (due to a connective tissue disorder).

You sound similar to me and my partner, and our first baby was quite small (slightly under 7lb but he was born at 39 weeks), but then I was a small baby too!

You sound similar to me and my partner, and our first baby was quite small (slightly under 7lb but he was born at 39 weeks), but then I was a small baby too!
Me and Mr B were both 6lbers. Only 1 of my babies have been under 8lbs, and that was because he was born at 39 weeks, and even then he was 7.10

• Wow
Reactions: 2
I’m only 5 foot but my girls were nearly 9lb each lol. I’m expecting a smaller baby this time because my partner is only 5.5 foot whereas my girls dad was 6.5 foot :LOL:

when did all you ladies first feel your baby move? I’m 12 weeks today and I’m getting fluttering vibration feelings around the baby (I know their exact location due to a few scans I’ve had) it just seems very early! I was around 16 weeks+ With my other two.

Another annoying question but I have time today 😂
Please can someone tell me how to have more of a backbone and not feel guilty not accepting hand me downs. A few people have offered me things that I don’t like, want or necessarily need but I always feel guilty saying no thank you. Even if the item is tatty and covered in stains or really used (I would never dream of offering someone a hand me down of something that probs needed to go in the bin anyway) I feel guilty and really struggle to say no. It really gets my back up for some reason, my moods have been crazy and it’s really irrational but especially when people I don’t even know have heard about my pregnancy through a friend of a friend and start messaging me asking if I want x y or z I feel really uncomfortable and I feel kind of angry with them. What is that all about ! I’m not a nasty person, I know people are being kind and trying to help but it makes me so pissed off.

• Heart
Another annoying question but I have time today 😂
Please can someone tell me how to have more of a backbone and not feel guilty not accepting hand me downs. A few people have offered me things that I don’t like, want or necessarily need but I always feel guilty saying no thank you. Even if the item is tatty and covered in stains or really used (I would never dream of offering someone a hand me down of something that probs needed to go in the bin anyway) I feel guilty and really struggle to say no. It really gets my back up for some reason, my moods have been crazy and it’s really irrational but especially when people I don’t even know have heard about my pregnancy through a friend of a friend and start messaging me asking if I want x y or z I feel really uncomfortable and I feel kind of angry with them. What is that all about ! I’m not a nasty person, I know people are being kind and trying to help but it makes me so pissed off.
Can you say "that's really kind of you, thank you for the offer but we've already been given [item] by someone else"? We've genuinely been offered some duplicates of things and that's what I've said, and people haven't been offended. If it's something you'll need more than one of (e.g. clothes) just use the same line but say you've already been given far too many.

Most people offering things do so out of goodwill, but I think some people are keen to just get rid of shite they don't need anymore 🤣

Can you say "that's really kind of you, thank you for the offer but we've already been given [item] by someone else"? We've genuinely been offered some duplicates of things and that's what I've said, and people haven't been offended. If it's something you'll need more than one of (e.g. clothes) just use the same line but say you've already been given far too many.

Most people offering things do so out of goodwill, but I think some people are keen to just get rid of shite they don't need anymore 🤣
I do say this but I start to feel guilty for lying and saying no. Idk what’s wrong with me 🤣 truthfully I’ve got a second hand pram and cot and the rest I really want to buy new as it’s my first baby and I’m so excited to buy things for him myself. I think I must get frustrated with feeling guilty for saying no and that’s why I end up stressing out and feeling angry but I think you’re right that there’s an element of people just trying to fob stuff off they don’t need anymore and that winds me up too😂

In my experience, it doesn't make much difference.

My partner is 10 stone, 5ft 7 (he'll argue 5ft8 😂)
I'm a lot more than that 😂 and 5ft 7.
We were both exactly the same weight when we were born, 7lb 6.
My babies have all been mixed weights. Massive differences 😂

I do say this but I start to feel guilty for lying and saying no. Idk what’s wrong with me 🤣 truthfully I’ve got a second hand pram and cot and the rest I really want to buy new as it’s my first baby and I’m so excited to buy things for him myself. I think I must get frustrated with feeling guilty for saying no and that’s why I end up stressing out and feeling angry but I think you’re right that there’s an element of people just trying to fob stuff off they don’t need anymore and that winds me up too😂
Don't feel guilty! If you don't want what they're offering and you've politely declined then there's no harm done! 🙂

• Heart
I think the anger sometimes stays for a few weeks then goes as I felt like this for AGES at some points during this pregnancy!
Real harsh anger that came out of nowhere when people were just being kind 😆 I wouldn’t show it or take it out on anyone but would take my time responding to people.
Maybe just leave their messages for a few days then respond.
Don’t feel guilty saying no though, better to have what you want than rifle through stuff you don’t like/won’t use.

• Heart
Oh man, today has been a day. Glucose testing this morning (erlack that drink is horrid, like a really bad flat lucozade 😂) and then off to the GP for suspected thrush which may or may not be thrush or some other lovely pregnancy thing. Absolutely shattered and today is a write off work wise. Very lucky to have an understanding empower.

• Heart
Going to hit my due date this week and am due to have a sweep with the midwife. Haven’t had one before, has anyone else? Just wondering what to expect in terms of pain etc and whether it worked?

I am so fed up of being pregnant, it’s beginning to get me down as i just want the baby to be here and am fed up of feeling uncomfortable and huge 😩

Feeling a bit teary after my growth scan. He’s measuring in the 94th centile. They said not to worry it was too early to be concerned (28 weeks) but feel guilty.
Just wanted to offer my sympathies! I'm having my growth scan tomorrow (bit further along than you, I'm 33 weeks now). I know logically that it's just how my baby is growing like the others have said but I can't stop thinking that I've over eaten, eaten the wrong things or messed up in some other way. Probably doesn't help that I feel very dumpy and rotund right now as well! My BMI was only just in the overweight category (by like... 0.2 points, which considering I weight trained and ran long distance before I conceived felt like I was cheated a little bit!) at my booking appointment but I've gained so much weight since.

As a few people at work - who've had various sized babies - said, it can be fluid, it can be genetics, it could be the position they're lying (mine very much likes to sit up under my rib cage on one side which pushes the rest of my bump out), it could even be that your dates are slightly off by enough to put them on track if you were a week ahead if you get me. But it is very daunting to hear!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.