Pregnancy #45

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Met my consultant today and she was so rude, grumpy and condescending :( I am sure I must have had her last time too - she made a couple of patronising, sarcastic comments during my last pregnancy that really stayed with me. I had some questions to ask today, but her attitude was so off putting I couldn't bring myself to ask them. Once I'd realised it was her again and remembered the other horrible remarks she made last time it seemed pointless to ask anything and get another sarcastic, unhelpful reply. I find pregnancy so stressful after years of infertility and treatment and miscarriages, I hate these appointment at the best of times and horrible doctors like her just make it so much worse 😢

No point to my post, sorry, just feeling fed up now! I have to go back for a rescan in a couple of weeks because baby wasn't playing ball either! Probably sensed the negative energy emanating from the consulting room and was trying to hide :LOL:
100% ask for a different consultant and consider a discussion with PALs too if you’re feeling up for it. You won’t be the only person she’s got this attitude with!

My 33 week appointment was brought forward to 32 weeks this afternoon because my bump measurements are getting bigger and now over the recommended line. I know the fundal measurements aren’t the most accurate but my midwife seems pretty consistent with where she’s measuring and I can see that it’s growing quickly and I objectively look bigger than most people who are 2 - 4 weeks ahead of me (at my yoga class and NCT etc.). What do they do if it really keeps going up rather than settles?

Neither me nor my husband were particularly big babies and we’re not massive people now - both average height. I had issues with my weight before I got pregnant in that I was gaining 2 - 3lbs a week even when I was running 40+ mile weeks and my GP suspected something hormone related was going on but I got pregnant before we could really investigate anything 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 1
100% ask for a different consultant and consider a discussion with PALs too if you’re feeling up for it. You won’t be the only person she’s got this attitude with!

My 33 week appointment was brought forward to 32 weeks this afternoon because my bump measurements are getting bigger and now over the recommended line. I know the fundal measurements aren’t the most accurate but my midwife seems pretty consistent with where she’s measuring and I can see that it’s growing quickly and I objectively look bigger than most people who are 2 - 4 weeks ahead of me (at my yoga class and NCT etc.). What do they do if it really keeps going up rather than settles?

Neither me nor my husband were particularly big babies and we’re not massive people now - both average height. I had issues with my weight before I got pregnant in that I was gaining 2 - 3lbs a week even when I was running 40+ mile weeks and my GP suspected something hormone related was going on but I got pregnant before we could really investigate anything 🤷‍♀️
In my experience, if they think your fundal height measurement is increasing too rapidly, they can refer you for a growth scan, and then what happens next depends on your results of your scan.

My fundal measurements were always over, creeping up up to 85% then 97%. I had my baby at 36 weeks…6lbs, 7oz…so if I went full term I’d imagine she’d have been over 8lbs but I think most of the bump was water….I “leaked” for 8 days before birth but even went my waters went I couldn’t believe how much it was….and length of baby too, her head was down from 28 weeks but her feet were in my ribs so that makes bump bigger too. 💗💗💗💗

Can anyone recommend a breast pump? I’d ideally like to BF and pump - but I know some people just don’t get milk 🤷🏼‍♀️ Is it worth buying one or waiting to see what happens and ordering from Amazon prime if/when the milk comes in? Or will that be too late😬

Reactions: 2
Can anyone recommend a breast pump? I’d ideally like to BF and pump - but I know some people just don’t get milk 🤷🏼‍♀️ Is it worth buying one or waiting to see what happens and ordering from Amazon prime if/when the milk comes in? Or will that be too late😬
I have the medela swing electric pump - my first was premature so the medela is what the hospital recommended. I have found it fantastic and have had it for 5 years and used it multiple times a day for the 1st year as baby couldn’t BF so just used a bottle. Used it again with my second so partner could feed the baby at night. With my 3rd I have been using the hakka pump and really rate it!
Depending on frequency of use I’d rate either - medela if you intend to do lots of expressed bottle feeds or hakka if you are just planning on doing a couple of bottle feeds a day.
For ease and cost I would definitely sway more to the hakka as you just put it on the breast you are not feeding from and it suctions to collect any let down … I can get 1-2 bottles a day from that.
If however you are having a bit of trouble getting milk then I would sway towards medela, however would wait a few days/weeks after baby is born if they are BF successfully as otherwise you may get to much of a milk supply :)
Hope that helps, but let me know if you want more info on either :)

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'd wait till baby was here, I find pumps can be a bit like nappies there quite personal to the person, some people don't react well to a pump and although they can breast feed they can't yeild any milk into the pump so you don't want to buy an expensive one now to find its not suited to you and then can't return it.
I'd use a Hakka for when you are feeding to catch the letdown from the other side, but just be wary it isn't a pump.

• Heart
I have a double electric Lansinoh pump, it’s a tad more expensive but found it to be really good when I was feeding my son. I only bought it because the hospital was making me pump to top his breastfeeds as he had bad jaundice. If that wasn’t the case I would have just breastfed and see how that went before committing.

I know people rate the haakas for collecting let down etc as that can build up a good stash. Haakas use suction so they can increase supply which can be a good/bad thing depending on your circumstances.

This time round I bought some madela collection shells as they don’t use suction and can just sit on one side of my nursing bra to collect let down while I feed on the other. I had a lot of milk first time round so I’m really wary about verging on over supply this time.

I’ve found breastfeeding pages on Facebook which have qualified lactation consultants on them really useful as they’ve so much knowledge.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
They don’t recommend pumping until baby’s 6 weeks anyway just so you can let baby do all their ordering and you don’t end up with an oversupply. I’d wait until baby’s here then ordered. I bought a tommee tippee manual pump before baby was born and didn’t like it or feel like it was good suction, for manual pumps I liked the medela one and I’ve got an Elvie electric pump so I can do things around the house & pump at a desk in work.
It’s expensive but I really like being able to connect it to my phone to set a timer & see how much I’m pumping out in each session.
I’ve heard good things about the momcozy but I know a few ladies on here had mixed reviews x

• Heart
I’ve heard good things about the momcozy but I know a few ladies on here had mixed reviews x
I've got the Momcozy S9, it's ok but I wouldn't buy it again. I've never actually managed to use it hands free, it doesn't feel secure enough - not sure if that's me or the pump though to be fair.

• Heart
Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice and I’m not a fan of mums net 🙈 I’m around 2 weeks pregnant very early I know but I’ve just found out. I’m having quite bad cramping and had a small light bleed mostly pink last night though only when I wiped. As I’m keeping this a secret until I’m at a safe date but it is driving me insane 😭 did anyone have quite bad implantation cramps? I’m so trying to stay on the positive side but I’m getting worried 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 4

this is just my experience but I’ve had similar with my scans, they’ve now scheduled me to have growth scans every 3-4 weeks since I was 28 weeks and we just have to see what the scan says every time. My last scan was 33 weeks and baby was showing big again, then straight after the growth scan, we have to have a chat with the doctor, if I’m totally honest with you, they’ve referred me 3 times to have a gestational diabetes test because of this and my results are normal so I’m pretty sure I’m just having a big baby! I’m due to have another growth scan in 2 weeks time, they then said depending on baby they will discuss being induced/csection. But it all does depend on what the growth scans say!
has anyone mentioned having growth scans to you?

• Heart
I have the medela swing electric pump - my first was premature so the medela is what the hospital recommended. I have found it fantastic and have had it for 5 years and used it multiple times a day for the 1st year as baby couldn’t BF so just used a bottle. Used it again with my second so partner could feed the baby at night. With my 3rd I have been using the hakka pump and really rate it!
Depending on frequency of use I’d rate either - medela if you intend to do lots of expressed bottle feeds or hakka if you are just planning on doing a couple of bottle feeds a day.
For ease and cost I would definitely sway more to the hakka as you just put it on the breast you are not feeding from and it suctions to collect any let down … I can get 1-2 bottles a day from that.
If however you are having a bit of trouble getting milk then I would sway towards medela, however would wait a few days/weeks after baby is born if they are BF successfully as otherwise you may get to much of a milk supply :)
Hope that helps, but let me know if you want more info on either :)
Thank you so much! It was the medela I was looking at so good to know it’s a solid option to have on my list ☺ I‘ll have a look at the Hakka too. Trying not to put any pressure on myself but also be as informed as possible if it works out for me😬

---

I have a double electric Lansinoh pump, it’s a tad more expensive but found it to be really good when I was feeding my son. I only bought it because the hospital was making me pump to top his breastfeeds as he had bad jaundice. If that wasn’t the case I would have just breastfed and see how that went before committing.

I know people rate the haakas for collecting let down etc as that can build up a good stash. Haakas use suction so they can increase supply which can be a good/bad thing depending on your circumstances.

This time round I bought some madela collection shells as they don’t use suction and can just sit on one side of my nursing bra to collect let down while I feed on the other. I had a lot of milk first time round so I’m really wary about verging on over supply this time.

I’ve found breastfeeding pages on Facebook which have qualified lactation consultants on them really useful as they’ve so much knowledge.
Thank you so much! Can you recommend any Facebook pages in particular that have consultants on them?☺

Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice and I’m not a fan of mums net 🙈 I’m around 2 weeks pregnant very early I know but I’ve just found out. I’m having quite bad cramping and had a small light bleed mostly pink last night though only when I wiped. As I’m keeping this a secret until I’m at a safe date but it is driving me insane 😭 did anyone have quite bad implantation cramps? I’m so trying to stay on the positive side but I’m getting worried 💕
By 2 weeks, do you mean 6 weeks? Or did you test really early, i.e. before your period was due? I had similar bleeding at around 8 weeks, got referred for an early scan when I called maternity day care about it, and baby was absolutely fine, bleeding was unexplained but could well have been blood left over from implantation etc. I'm now 36 weeks pregnant!

Congratulations! Just my experience, not a professional... Yes, the cramps were what made me take a test, I was really quite uncomfortable up until about 8 weeks. If you're concerned though it might be worth looking up contact details for your local early pregnancy unit or going via your GP.

By 2 weeks, do you mean 6 weeks? Or did you test really early, i.e. before your period was due? I had similar bleeding at around 8 weeks, got referred for an early scan when I called maternity day care about it, and baby was absolutely fine, bleeding was unexplained but could well have been blood left over from implantation etc. I'm now 36 weeks pregnant!
Hi well my period was a week early 9th and 3 weeks ago I did a test and was negative. I tested yesterday and the line is a faint but a strong faint if you get me. Everything was fine until I found out now all this is happening. I do have a 3 yr old and I did bleed at the start with her though I can’t remember cramping. Really just hoping it’s just implantation I’ve taken a painkiller and have a water bottle which is easing the pain thankfully 😩

Hi well my period was a week early 9th and 3 weeks ago I did a test and was negative. I tested yesterday and the line is a faint but a strong faint if you get me. Everything was fine until I found out now all this is happening. I do have a 3 yr old and I did bleed at the start with her though I can’t remember cramping. Really just hoping it’s just implantation I’ve taken a painkiller and have a water bottle which is easing the pain thankfully 😩
Was your period definitely a period?
That seems very early to be getting a positive as 2 weeks is literally implantation week.
Could it be possible you bled with imonatation and you thought it was a period?

Cramping is quite normal but not usually enough to need to take pain and stuff to ease it.

In my experience.

Does anyone else find themselves feeling guilty whenever they eat anything that isn’t fruit / veg / protein!?
Just had my first maccies cheeseburger (no bun because intolerance) & chips since pre-pregnancy, after a Greek salad for lunch that wasn’t at all enough 😳
Everyone around me makes such a fuss of only being ‘good’ - hate that term!!! So I feel it’s making me majorly paranoid about what I eat!
Someone remind me 1 little burger & chips is fine 😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Does anyone else find themselves feeling guilty whenever they eat anything that isn’t fruit / veg / protein!?
Just had my first maccies cheeseburger (no bun because intolerance) & chips since pre-pregnancy, after a Greek salad for lunch that wasn’t at all enough 😳
Everyone around me makes such a fuss of only being ‘good’ - hate that term!!! So I feel it’s making me majorly paranoid about what I eat!
Someone remind me 1 little burger & chips is fine 😂😂
I'm feeling the same! I've been choosing all the healthy options since finding out and being super aware of my meals. However, the last two weeks the nausea and sickness really hit me full force. Some of the foods I've been able to keep down haven't been the best choice, so I've felt a little guilty.

I'm sure a small burger and chips won't hurt, not like you're eating it for every meal. ❤

• Heart
I'm feeling the same! I've been choosing all the healthy options since finding out and being super aware of my meals. However, the last two weeks the nausea and sickness really hit me full force. Some of the foods I've been able to keep down haven't been the best choice, so I've felt a little guilty.

I'm sure a small burger and chips won't hurt, not like you're eating it for every meal. ❤
Oh definitely when my nausea was bad all I could stomach were dry crackers/plain pasta & all the beige. Definitely made up for it with the veg in 2nd trimester 😅
Yeah exactly! We never get takeaways, always cook fresh meals so I just need to chill out 😂
I think way too much pressure is put on women in pregnancy

• Heart
Thank you so much! It was the medela I was looking at so good to know it’s a solid option to have on my list ☺ I‘ll have a look at the Hakka too. Trying not to put any pressure on myself but also be as informed as possible if it works out for me😬

---

Thank you so much! Can you recommend any Facebook pages in particular that have consultants on them?☺
Breastfeeding Northern Ireland has been a god send but don’t know if you can join unless you’re based in NI. I also would recommend No Milk Like Mamas on Facebook and Instagram. On Instagram, really good advice from FeedSpeakEat and Lynsey Hookway.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.